2019 Mazda3

I hope Mazda's engineers sampled some of those French cars!
You never know.

The subtext though is that there's so much more to ride and handling than just rear suspension, particularly in a front-wheel drive car. Now admittedly the best-handling front-drive car I've ever driven is the DC2 Integra Type-R (double wishbones all round), but the rest of the top five and probably most of the top ten are French cars with torsion beam back ends! Off the top of my head (and in no particular order): Megane R26.R, Megane Trophy R, 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport, RCZ R, 106 Rallye, Clio 182 Trophy, Clio 200 Cup... of those, the Clio 200 Cup is really, really close to handling better than the DC2, and it may even have slightly better damping. And the R26.R probably has the best steering feel. The 208 and 182 probably the best turn-in. The Rallye, on its squidgy sidewalls, the best high-frequency bump absorption.

There are probably dozens of factors beyond the type of rear suspension that affect the way a front-drive car handles. Front suspension is more important for a start (it's doing more of the work), but also geometry, steering, bushes, structural rigidity, wheelbase, track width, tyres, the personal preferences of the engineers who set it up in the first place...

Hatchback looks particularly good, sedan must be extremely elegant IRL, that back is seriously sweet and simple. Mazda is nailing it these days, CX3, CX5 and damn mx5 and the amazing(IRL) mx5 RF...

Little more info regarding North American model.

Cliff notes:
-2.5 engine will be the only engine initially offered. Figure similar hp/torque to current model
-AWD and manual gearbox combination is possible
-2.0 Skyactiv X will come later, can be had with manual and awd

Car & Driver mentions that the base car will likely be more expensive due to the 2.0 being eliminated, but I doubt that the 2.5 is any more expensive to produce; it was more expensive because there was a lesser option under it.. We'll see. Would love to snag a 6M 2.5 hatch for under $20k.

EDIT:

Also, I felt this video was pretty good at capturing how the 3 looks:

Last edited:
Want a Mazaspeed version? Too bad.

That's sad. The design is a really attractive blank slate, and I bet some factory go faster parts with a touch more attitude would turn heads. Oh well.

I just hope the manual makes it to the US. Something tells me that this will be the first car where Mazda will "ditch" the manual transmission.

Little more in-depth info, including AWD system, from a Mazda technical rep:

Cliff Notes:
-Having the car rotate around the driver (neutral handling) and be generally fun was a design priority (yay!)
-AWD version will be FWD until slip is detected, which will then feed power to the rear (not really suprising)
-AWD tied into g-vectoring system to change torque split during cornering
-AWD system is designed to anticipate wheel slip based on a bevy of input data (I'm sure other systems are similar)

Infotainment & Interior:

-New/revised control for infotainment.
-Real HUD
-Hybrid digital/analogue cluster

I've really warmed up to the hatch's styling, it really looks stunning when the camera or car is in motion. I'll say now that I'm a big fan of it...it just looks so special. It's looking like my next vehicle. Anxious to see what colors will be available...keep thinking about how this car would look in white...

Jesus it's amazing.

If I can get this with the big engine, AWD, and a manual I'll be set.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot I hate Mazda's steering wheel buttons and infotainment. Veloster N it is then.

Apparently, at least in European form the 2.0L skyactiv-x engine will make 181hp. I was kind of expecting something more like 200hp. I'm curious to see how they drive...the slide mentions better torque and more linear delivery. I wonder if that translates to fun or boring.

Not sure what their plan is for the US Market where the very-similarly rated 2.5L will be the only engine option initially available. Will the 2.0 eventually be the base engine here? Would be great to get the 2.5T in some performance variant...but Mazda seems cagey at best regarding that eventuality.

European spec 2.0L (non-SPCCI) will be rated at 122ps...which seems pretty low for a 2 liter.

Really hoping to get some concrete pricing info soon. Lets do this Mazda.

Apparently, at least in European form the 2.0L skyactiv-x engine will make 181hp. I was kind of expecting something more like 200hp. I'm curious to see how they drive...the slide mentions better torque and more linear delivery. I wonder if that translates to fun or boring.

Not sure what their plan is for the US Market where the very-similarly rated 2.5L will be the only engine option initially available. Will the 2.0 eventually be the base engine here? Would be great to get the 2.5T in some performance variant...but Mazda seems cagey at best regarding that eventuality.

European spec 2.0L (non-SPCCI) will be rated at 122ps...which seems pretty low for a 2 liter.

Really hoping to get some concrete pricing info soon. Lets do this Mazda.

The Skyactiv X should be more like a diesel, low hp and high torque. It’s main benefit will be in fuel economy (in theory) and that’s what they expect people to pay a premium for. Fun and performance hasn’t been a priority for Mazda motor-wise in a long time. They concentrate more on making all the other aspects of the car enjoyable.

The Skyactiv X should be more like a diesel, low hp and high torque. It’s main benefit will be in fuel economy (in theory) and that’s what they expect people to pay a premium for. Fun and performance hasn’t been a priority for Mazda motor-wise in a long time. They concentrate more on making all the other aspects of the car enjoyable.
Having driven a prototype of the Skyactiv-X engine, I'd say it's somewhere in between. It feels mainly like a larger, naturally-aspirated petrol engine than a diesel. It'll rev like a petrol, but without an real increase in performance to the red line, but it's still happier at high revs than a diesel. It's technically supercharged, so there's no real "off boost" like there is with a turbo engine either - it'll pull from idle without straining or bogging down.

It didn't feel like a particularly entertaining engine, but that would be easy enough to engineer in later, either with electrification or probably just tuning, a sportier exhaust etc.

One benefit of the tech is that it expands the area over which the engine works most efficiently - they showed us graphs suggesting this engine was as efficient at 5000rpm as the existing Skyactiv is at 3000rpm. The upshot of that is that you can use shorter, sportier gearing without a real penalty in terms of economy. So hopefully the X-equipped Mazdas in future will have nice, snappy gear ratios.

I wouldn't, and I hope Mazda hasn't, bet on that. I don't think they could sell a 181hp 2.0L engine for MORE than they sell a 187hp 2.5L engine, because I don't think a typical buyer would have the patience or technical proficiency to appreciate the technology in the 2 liter. As far as I've seen, the 2.5L will be the only initial engine option for the US Market....which makes me think the 2.0 might actually become the base engine when it arrives. But their output is so similar that doesn't make much sense either. I wonder if it will be like the 2015+ Mustang where the V6 was sold more or less alongside the 2.3 ecoboost as a hedge on the adoption rate/consumer reaction to the 'new' technology, with the eventual goal of eliminating the old technology.

Last edited:
I wouldn't, and I hope Mazda hasn't, bet on that. I don't think they could sell a 181hp 2.0L engine for MORE than they sell a 187hp 2.5L engine, because I don't think a typical buyer would have the patience or technical proficiency to appreciate the technology in the 2 liter. As far as I've seen, the 2.5L will be the only initial engine option for the US Market....which makes me think the 2.0 might actually become the base engine when it arrives. But their output is so similar that doesn't make much since either. I wonder if it will be like the 2015+ Mustang where the V6 was sold more or less alongside the 2.3 ecoboost as a hedge on the adoption rate/consumer reaction to the 'new' technology, with the eventual goal of eliminating the old technology.

I just hope they don’t follow Ford’s example and relegate the older engine to rental spec or nothing. Hopefully they do more like Chevy does with the Camaro and offers the same selection of features no matter what engine you choose. Hopefully you can get the 2.5 or 2.0X with both transmissions, across trim levels etc.

There’s definitely been a few models with a less powerful but more advanced and efficient “upgrade” engine in the recent past (other than hybrids). I just can’t think of any at the moment. The Chevy Sonic came close, with its 1.8 NA or 1.4 Turbo that had the same hp figure but more torque and better fuel economy.

New body kit shown at the Tokyo Auto Salon for the upcoming 3:

mazda-tokyo-auto-salon-cars-1.jpg

My take: Looks nice. Subtle. Black trim really works on this new grey color too.

Looks pretty much like the kit that was present on the original Kai concept. I actually asked Mazda's designer about it at an event as I was concerned it'd be standard on the 3 and negate their hard work making the car look so clean, but I'm glad to see it's available as an option at least.

Looking back at the photos, it appears the grey car shown at the LA Autoshow (probably the same car) also had the bodykit, so this isn't really news. But it's good to see some more photos of this paint shade, as I think it's pretty awesome.

i watched the new Iron Man Audi e-tron video. I had so a double take with how small the window openings were. Looking at this Mazda3 hatch, those windows look even smaller.

I thought the first 300Cs where small. Then, Camaro. Seriously, with all the cameras, warnings, protection beams and airbags, (feels like, to me)car design is edging closer to be window-less.

i watched the new Iron Man Audi e-tron video. I had so a double take with how small the window openings were. Looking at this Mazda3 hatch, those windows look even smaller.

I thought the first 300Cs where small. Then, Camaro. Seriously, with all the cameras, warnings, protection beams and airbags, (feels like, to me)car design is edging closer to be window-less.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how they will feel to drive. Theoretically should be ok with a rear camera, but who knows.

Well, it appears they really mean early 2019...

CZVSQwl.jpg

The proportions of the hatch just look so right. It's grown on me enormously since the reveal (same thing happened with the ND). Probably the closest thing we'll get to a hatchback as sexy as the Alfa Romeo Brera. Very eager to try one out.

Three doors are the true hatchback to me and that Brera nailed it. That looks great. Mazda isn't too shabby though.

Alfa seems to have a great design crew on board.

Three doors are the true hatchback to me and that Brera nailed it. That looks great. Mazda isn't too shabby though.

Alfa seems to have a great design crew on board.

It’s pretty impressive when you consider the Brera is more than 15 years old now (the original concept showed up in 2002)

Latest Posts

Back