• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 448 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The National Football League is primed and ready to take on a new season. Some fans are thinking this will be another wild season of action. Some others think it's going to be the same old same old that is making the league stale. We saw Patrick Mahomes come of age and have a baller performance at QB for Kansas City. We saw the Houston Texans go from an 0-3 start to reel off nine straight wins and eventually win the AFC South. We saw the controversy in the NFC Championship game where people thought the New Orleans Saints should have been in the Super Bowl LIII than the Los Angeles Rams thanks to a controversial no-call on Pass Interference. And ... we've seen those New England Patriots win yet another Super Bowl when they defeated the Rams (and LAR's beautiful blue and gold throwback uniforms) 13-3. So basically to some fans, the NFL will be flat out boring for yet another season unless some team finally dethrones the Patriots.

Super Bowl LIV will be on February 2, 2020 in Miami Gardens, Florida. Which two teams will be playing for the Lombardi Trophy in the MIA? That remains to be seen.

To give you an idea of what each team will be looking at heading into this new season, let's reflect back. This was how last season ended up. Bold teams made the playoffs:

--- 2018 at the End of the Regular Season ---

! = playoff team
!! = division winner
!!! = home-field advantage

--- AFC ---
AFC EAST: New England!! (11-5), MIA (7-9), BUF (6-10), NYJ (4-12)
AFC NORTH: Baltimore!! (10-6), PIT (9-6-1), CLE (7-8-1), CIN (6-10)
AFC SOUTH: Houston!! (11-5), IND! (10-6), TEN (9-7), JAX (5-11)
AFC WEST: Kansas City!!! and Los Angeles Chargers! (12-4 each), DEN (6-10), OAK (4-12)

--- NFC ---
NFC EAST: Dallas!! (10-6), PHI! (9-7), WAS (7-9), NYG (5-11)
NFC NORTH: Chicago!! (12-4), MIN (8-7-1), GB (6-9-1), DET (6-10)
NFC SOUTH: New Orleans!!! (13-3), ATL and CAR (7-9 each), TB (5-11)
NFC WEST: Los Angeles Rams!! (13-3), SEA (10-6), SF (4-12), ARI (3-13)

Have to wonder how this upcoming season will go. Can successful teams keep up their strong form? Can failing teams improve (and by how much)? We will see what happens as this upcoming season goes along.

First real bits of news to share about the upcoming season... Kyler Murray chooses the NFL over Major League Baseball. Have to wonder what Murray can bring to the proverbial table in football. And also, the Cleveland Browns picked up Kareem Hunt after having been in domestic abuse trouble.

So are you ready for a new season of NFL football? Let's get it!

GO!

Big news already with the Ravens trading Joe Flacco to the Broncos. I think he'll do fine there so good luck to him. I don't really know exactly the plan is here in Baltimore so unless we're going all in on Jackson I hope (or dream) that we pick up Foles if he really is going to be available.

Antonio Brown. Who wants him? The Pittsburgh Steelers let him go. And the winner of the Antonio Brown sweepstakes is...

...wait for it...

...the BUFFALO BILLS! Yep. Get to know the latest Buffalo Bill. Any thoughts you'd like to share on this? Also, are there any thoughts you'd like to share on other trades and moves- such as Nick Foles to the Jacksonville Jaguars (from PHI) or Case Keenum to the Redskins?

[UPDATE] Apparently, according to reports (mostly Twitter), Antonio Brown will NOT be with the Buffalo Bills. So methinks this guy is still looking for a team. Who else would want him besides Pittsburgh or Buffalo?

Last edited:
Yeah, really strange with the whole AB thing. Ian Rapoport comes out and pretty much said the trade is imminent, without any details of the exchange, and a few hours later backtracks and said that it "almost" happened while literally every other source had said that the trade wasn't really close to happening, and the Bills' official statement tried to make it sound like they were just doing their due diligence, asking about him. And to make it more interesting, AB called the move "fake news" while Rapoport was breaking the story, as if AB had already known about the trade and said no to playing in Buffalo.

Who knows what actually happened. Maybe the Bills actually were really close, but were deterred by Brown's unwillingness to want to come here. Maybe they just phoned up the Steelers, had a few conversations, AB's agent picked up wind of it, and immediately shut it down. But supposedly, Buffalo had the best offer on the table. And that's another missing detail: there was no mention of what Buffalo was actually going to give Pittsburgh. But the story's already dead and out of the news cycle, so we probably won't ever know what actually happened.

And the legal tampering opens on Monday (at midnight?), so a lot of stuff about to be happening with tons of rumored deals. Can't wait.

Not the Steelers. Not the Bills. Now who? Looking around on Twitter, Antonio Brown is now...

...an Oakland Raider.

Just hope Antonio Brown actually STAYS with this team not not want to join some other team. For all I care, he could even be a Houston Texan for a hot second for all I know. Now what about this guy?

Not the Steelers. Not the Bills. Now who? Looking around on Twitter, Antonio Brown is now...

...an Oakland Raider.

Just hope Antonio Brown actually STAYS with this team not not want to join some other team. For all I care, he could even be a Houston Texan for a hot second for all I know. Now what about this guy?

God bless the Raider Nation :(

I am not happy. I am not excited. I am ANGERED. This smells like Randy Moss 2.0, I can see the Diva saying goodbye next season to join Darth Bilichick and Pretty Boy Tom, because yeah, they are inmortal.

Just... Lame, Baby...

I'm just glad we're rid of AB now. Yeah, he's got incredible abilities, but he's completely insane and can't understand that he's part of a team and that the world doesn't revolve around him. I can't wait to see Juju play this year.

Derek Carr had better get ready. If he slightly overthrows AB a time or two AB is going to go into one of his temper tantrums on the sidelines.

THIS JUST IN...

Nick Foles reportedly will be officially signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars for 4 years at about $88M USD. So the former Eagles QB will be playing for one of my AFC South rivals. Meaning we'll get a double dose of Foles in the season.

As for the Antonio Brown deal, I... you know what? I feel sorry for Oakland. I wish I could provide therapy for Raiders Nation. Sounds like the Raiders have become the football equivalent of the Washington Generals. Or maybe the football equivalent of when JaVale McGee was with the Washington Wizards. This is tough.

THIS JUST IN...

Nick Foles reportedly will be officially signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars for 4 years at about $88M USD. So the former Eagles QB will be playing for one of my AFC South rivals. Meaning we'll get a double dose of Foles in the season.

Can't wait to see Bortles in the AAF next year.

As for the Antonio Brown deal, I... you know what? I feel sorry for Oakland. I wish I could provide therapy for Raiders Nation. Sounds like the Raiders have become the football equivalent of the Washington Generals. Or maybe the football equivalent of when JaVale McGee was with the Washington Wizards. This is tough.

Already looking forward for 2020. This season we are going nowhere.

:(

Collins to the Redskins? :ill: Looking at how much they paid for him? :)

Jerome

Reports indicate Tyrann Mattieu signed with the Kansas City Chiefs for a three-year deal. The Honey Badger used to be with my Houston Texans. I wish the Honey Badger well after asserting himself nicely with the Texans.

Reports indicate Tyrann Mattieu signed with the Kansas City Chiefs for a three-year deal. The Honey Badger used to be with my Houston Texans. I wish the Honey Badger well after asserting himself nicely with the Texans.

Another now former Texan, Kareem Jackson is reportedly going to sign with the Broncos. But the big news overnight is that former Ravens linebacker CJ Mosley is going to sign with the Jets for $85 million ($51 million guaranteed).

I am starting to fear that the Houston Texans' defense is going to be trash with the departure of the Honey Badger and Kareem Jackson. We franchised JaDeveon Clowney, and I surely do not want to see him leave the Texans. We did sign a guy named Bradley Roby for one year. I hated the Texans let go of A.J. Bouye. However, I read a report that the Texans will pick up ex-Jacksonville Jaguar Tashaun Gipson.

I don't know. I'm just worried about the defense for the Texans right now. We still have the NFL Draft to be concerned with, but I'm doubtful about the Texans' defense heading into the 2019 season at this point.

I am starting to fear that the Houston Texans' defense is going to be trash with the departure of the Honey Badger and Kareem Jackson. We franchised JaDeveon Clowney, and I surely do not want to see him leave the Texans. We did sign a guy named Bradley Roby for one year. I hated the Texans let go of A.J. Bouye. However, I read a report that the Texans will pick up ex-Jacksonville Jaguar Tashaun Gipson.

I don't know. I'm just worried about the defense for the Texans right now. We still have the NFL Draft to be concerned with, but I'm doubtful about the Texans' defense heading into the 2019 season at this point.

IF Nick Foles is THE Nick Foles that played for the Eagles, then that should improve the Jags back to division contenders. The Colts should continue to be strong. The question mark is the Titans. Marcus Mariota is inconsistent, so is Derrick Henry, their defense is ok. A strong Colts team, a resurgent Jags, and if the Titans can manage another 9-7 or so, then yes it might be hard for the Texans to find wins somewhere.

Odell Beckham Jr is reportedly being traded to the Cleveland for 1st, a 3rd and safety Jabrill Peppers.

Browns are really looking like legit playoff contenders now. (That's going to take some getting used to. :lol:)

Last edited:
When the Texans reeled off nine straight wins after their 0-3 start, the Texans weren't exactly dominating on offense. It was the defense that kept them in games even as DeShaun Watson went to work on offense. The defense still had plenty of gaps and didn't play too consistently. And of course, we'd probably likely get torched in the secondary on pass plays and not have solid enough 3rd down defense. Granted we're not the Chicago Bears on defense, the defense was, as we'd say... a'ight.

Speaking of the Texans' offense, my only concern is if the Texans can get a few more weapons on offense. I mean, I love DeAndre Hopkins. I just want a few more targets for Watson to pass to or maybe get a good rushing attack going. As for Watson himself, I just think he needs to act quicker and not allow himself to get sacked so much. You don't be a National Championship winning QB and not know how to handle yourself in game situations. Watson is great and I love him, but he can be better.

As for Odell Beckham Jr. on the Browns, he'll be just fine unless he becomes a knucklehead in northeastern Ohio. I am sure Browns fans can't wait for the 2019 season to come along as the Cleveland Cavaliers continue being the basketball doormat of a team they are. And that's unless the Cleveland Indians don't have a sorry season of baseball.

Giants fans are incensed about the Beckham deal. A lot of them want Gettleman gone. It's hard to say if this deal is WORSE than the outright release of Collins.

What are the Giants doing? If you trade OBJ, cut Eli and rebuild. If you're trying to make a playoff run this season with Eli, you need Beckham. I don't see a plan here and Gettleman is getting on my nerves. At this point, he comes off like a Bawstohn hooligan trying to get back at NY for beating Brady twice in the big dance.

Giants fans are incensed about the Beckham deal. A lot of them want Gettleman gone. It's hard to say if this deal is WORSE than the outright release of Collins.

Gettleman has done nothing but release our best players since he walked in the door. Granted some of them are due to money, I get that. But then to sign and quickly release OBJ? If I were to envision a season without Beckham, I certainly want Damon Harrison, Olivier Vernon and Landon Collins back. Maybe I should just be a Browns fan now.

Eli has Sterling Shepard to throw to in the slot, which now with Beckham out of the picture, it'd be easy to have your middle linebacker double team him with a cornerback; there won't be any reason not to with no deep threat. Those crazy plays to Saquon won't work either because defenses won't have Beckham on the field.

I think I just heard every other NFC East team fan breathe a huge sigh of relief all at the same time, they don't have to worry about us anymore. Thats two easy wins this season for them!

Jerome

I think I just heard every other NFC East team fan breathe a huge sigh of relief all at the same time, they don't have to worry about us anymore. Thats two easy wins this season for them!
You have two games against the Redskins. There is no way that in their glee, they will forget to prepare a game plan and lose 27-24, giving the Giants the one win that puts them at the #4 pick in the 2020 NFL draft.

Part of me thinks that Mara saw what happened with Antonio Brown in Pittsburgh and wanted to just get rid of OBJ before he could demand his way out and pick his destination like AB. OBJ and Brown have been close for a while, just as the Steelers and Giants owners are, and Mara wanted to sell high.

I still think Gettleman has no idea what he is doing. Actually, I'll rephrase that. I think Gettleman is stuck in 2012 and believes you still need to run the ball 30 times each game and stop the run. He refuses to see how the game is played now and that you need a good QB on a rookie deal to build your team.

Only if Haskins falls to 6. I don't think they will trade up and if he's gone, they will take a pass rusher and roll out Eli for the year.

Latest Posts

Back