2019 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 448 comments
Don't follow collage football but just from a team needs view, Brian Burns seems like a good pickup for the Panthers.

Congrats Giants, you are the laughing stock of the league.

Pick #6 - I was screaming at my TV screen for them to take Josh Allen. Instead, we take a QB who would have likely been there at pick 17 and who does nothing but compete for a position we already have.

Pick #17 - With the OBJ premium pick from the Cleveland trade (OBJ was a 12th overall pick in 2014 by the way), the Giants select a run stopping nose tackle when they needed a pass rusher. OK. Probably the only decent pick on the night.

Pick #30 - Surprise fans, we haven't made enough mistakes for one night. They trade a 4th and a 5th pick to move from 37 to 30 in order to take a corner in a draft top-heavy with DBs. They could have moved into the mid 20's for that price and possibly gotten an offensive tackle (you know, to protect Eli version 2.0) or Antonio Brown's cousin to replace OBJ and give Eli 2.0 a target with speed (which the Giants do not have anymore).

So basically, Cleveland wins the 1st round of the 2019 draft over everyone. They gave up the 17th pick, 95th pick and a safety who wasn't going to start anymore for one of the top 3 receivers in the league. Here's to another 3 win season in NY/NJ.

Gettleman... :banghead:

Way to go Mike. All those years being terrific as a draft analyst and with your first pick, the pick we got by literally now giving a single f--- all year, you don't get the best player available. Wow. Just WOW.

Josh Allen was there... and you let him go... YOU LET HIM GO MIKE...

I really hope you know what you are doing...

I read from ESPN's Bottom Line that Sebastian Janikowski is retiring. The 41-year old kicker will hang it up and call it a career. One of the best kickers ever. I wish him well in his retirement.

So who did the Texans pick up in the 2019 NFL Draft? Here's who we drafted:

* Tytus Howard (OT, Alabama State)
* Lonnie Johnson (CB, Kentucky)
* Max Scharping (OT, Northern Illinois)
* Kahale Warring (TE, San Diego State)
* Charles Omenihu (DE, Texas)
* Xavier Crawford (CB, Central Michigan)
* Cullen Gillaspia (RB, Texas A&M)

I am not sure of some of the undrafted talent we picked up, but that's how the 2019 NFL Draft shaped up for the Houston Texans. I am fairly happy with these picks. I think the Texans mostly needed some more receivers and some defensive help. The Texans, though, mostly concentrated on offensive line help. I just think Deshaun Watson has to be better in the pocket and not make a lot of foolish decisions. Watson got sacked 60+ times last season.

Now comes a lot of the training and stuff getting ready for the 2019 season. Hopefully your favorite team(s) addressed their needs through the Draft.

I read from ESPN's Bottom Line that Sebastian Janikowski is retiring. The 41-year old kicker will hang it up and call it a career. One of the best kickers ever. I wish him well in his retirement.

Goodbye Seabass, the Raider Nation will miss you :(

THIS JUST IN...

The New York Jets' general manager, Mike Maccagnan was fired. The interim GM is the Jets' head coach- Adam Gase. ESPN has even reported that Jets' Vice President Brian Heimerdinger also got canned. Lot of moving and shaking for the Jets. Maybe this will pay off in the long run.

I got these news bits from Yahoo! Sports, by the way.

Jeez, the owner must have a good reason. That should have been done months ago if they wanted to do it right.

Sad news in the NFL... Bart Starr, a two-time Super Bowl MVP, a 5-time champion, and played in the very first Super Bowl... has died at the age of 85. Starr was the premier quarterback for the Green Bay Packers long before Brett Favre made his mark on the Packers. My condolences go out in loving memory of Bart Starr and all whom have known and loved him.

Terrible news for Broncos fans. I surely offer my condolences in loving memory of Pat Bowlen. I sympathize with Broncos Nation.

Josh McCown hung up his uniform and gear and will now be an NFL analyst for ESPN. He's hanging it up after 17 seasons in the NFL. I wish McCown the best in his new position.

All I want to say is my G-men must make the playoffs to justify letting OBJ go, and the millions wasted to sign him a few months ago.

Jerome

I'm just expecting the Lions to continue Lioning. To expect anything less than that would be a complete waste of time with their history.

(I know- tree'd. But still...)

Sad times lately for the New York Giants. Jared Lorenzen died recently at the age of 38. The quarterback played his college football at the University of Kentucky. My condolences go out to all who known and loved him. I sympathize with the University of Kentucky and the New York Giants.

RIP Pillsbury Throwboy.

H2X4MGYOHZBBTMQS3EMFBAORGA.JPG

Former Houston Texan and Detroit Lion, Glover Quin, has officially retired after 10 seasons of service in the NFL. G. Quin was a very good safety when he was with the Houston Texans. I like to wish Glover Quin well in his retirement.

From time to time until the season starts up (or at least the Preseason), I may preview some teams just to get the conversation going and build hype. So stay tuned to this thread if I do so. Or... you may offer your own thoughts on your favorite teams.

Allow me to begin some preseason chatter. As promised, I may go preview certain teams and offer schedules. So let's begin... with the Houston Texans.

The 2019 Houston Texans
The Houston Texans surprised a lot of people last season. This was a team that started 0-3 on the season, but they would go on a tear that saw the Texans win nine straight games and eventually would win the AFC South. Afterwards, the Texans would fail in the Playoffs by losing to fellow AFC South foe, the Indianapolis Colts. A lot of turmoil and mediocrity has made me not as excited about my Texans this upcoming season. We do have an interesting contest as we play for the first time in the United Kingdom with our divisional match against Jacksonville. But if there is any hope for the Texans this season, it will be on the wings of Deshaun Watson and Deandre Hopkins on offense. We still have a big, bad dude known as Justin James Watt.

Here is the Texans' 2019 schedule:

* = division

AUG 8: at Green Bay (Preseason)
AUG 17: Detroit (Preseason)
AUG 24: at Dallas (Preseason)
AUG 29: Los Angeles Rams

SEP 9: at New Orleans (MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
SEP 15: Jacksonville*
SEP 22: at Los Angeles Chargers
SEP 29: Carolina
OCT 6: Atlanta
OCT 13: at Kansas City
OCT 20: at Indianapolis*
OCT 27: Oakland
NOV 3: vs. Jacksonville* (in London, England, UK)
~~~ Bye Week ~~~
NOV 17: at Baltimore
NOV 21: Indianapolis* (THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
DEC 1: New England (SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
DEC 15: at Tennessee*
DEC 22: at Tampa Bay
DEC 29: Tennessee*

Again- I am not expecting much from the Texans this season. I even saw something online saying the Texans will operate without a General Manager for this season. I am just hoping we don't have a season where we squander on winning opportunities or play less than what we are capable of. I will say this. If the Texans make the playoffs and get eliminated early, Bill O'Brien HAS to go. We can use a coach who has playoff experience and perhaps Super Bowl experience to point this team to where it should be. Despite all of this, I'd love to be proven wrong.

So that's my look at the Texans. I may do some more previews, or unless you want to preview your favorite teams.

[OMISSION] The Houston Texans' stats from last season: 16th in passing yards, 8th in rushing yards, and 12th in total yards a game. They finished 11-5 on the 2018 season.

Last edited:
RIP Pillsbury Throwboy.

H2X4MGYOHZBBTMQS3EMFBAORGA.JPG

Hefty Lefty! <3 He'll be missed.

Houston has the advantage of being an okay team in arguably the worst division in football. Pats have the same 'problem'.

Jerome

For this next preview of NFL teams, I'm taking you to the southwestern Ohio.

2019 Cincinnati Bengals Preview

The Cincinnati Bengals finished 6-10, and dead last in the AFC North on the 2018 NFL season. Certainly if you're a fan of Cincy, you'd hate having the Cleveland Browns have a better record than the Bengals. However, that was the case. The Bengals were 24th in passing yards, 21st in rushing yards, and 26th in total yards a game. GTPlaneteers Dolph Drago and Eva are interested in how the Bengals do this upcoming season. Here is a look at the Bengals' 2019 schedule:

* = division game

AUG 10: at Kansas City (Preseason)
AUG 15: at Washington (Preseason)
AUG 22: New York Giants (Preseason)
AUG 29: Indianapolis (Preseason)

SEP 8: at Seattle
SEP 15: San Francisco
SEP 22: at Buffalo
SEP 30: at Pittsburgh* (MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
OCT 6: Arizona
OCT 13: at Baltimore*
OCT 20: Jacksonville
OCT 27: at Los Angeles Rams
~~~ Bye Week ~~~
NOV 10: Baltimore*
NOV 17: at Oakland
NOV 24: Pittsburgh*
DEC 1: New York Jets
DEC 8: at Cleveland*
DEC 15: New England
DEC 22: at Miami
DEC 29: Cleveland*

So for you Prime Time football lovers, you'll get some prime time loving only once this regular season for the Bengals. Can the Bengals maybe be a surprise in the AFC North? Could they possibly have a good enough season to maybe try for the AFC Wild Card? We'll see what happens when the Bengals take to the field.

There's your look at the Bengals. Get psyched, Bengals Nation!

Let me discuss my first NFC team in a preview. I'm going to take you to the Lions Den now. Yep- some cats from MoTown coming up in another preview.

2019 Detroit Lions Preview

Detroit may know music very well, but the Detroit Lions have been singing the blues. Usually, being taken to the Lions' Den is a form of capital punishment or torture. Sadly, this team finished 6-10 season and dead last in the NFC North. The Lions in 2018 managed to be 21st in passing yards, 23rd in rushing yards, and 24th in total yards per game. Will fortune ever be reversed for the Lions this upcoming season? Well, you always want to have hope and remain positive. So let's take a look at what the Lions will face this season with the likes of Joey D and AnthonyD1993...

* = division game

AUG 6: New England (Preseason)
AUG 17: at Houston (Preseason)
AUG 23: Buffalo (Preseason)
AUG 29: at Cleveland (Preseason)

SEP 8: at Arizona
SEP 15: Los Angeles Chargers
SEP 22: at Philadelphia
SEP 29: Kansas City
~~~ Bye Week ~~~
OCT 14: at Green Bay* (MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
OCT 20: Minnesota*
OCT 27: New York Giants
NOV 3: at Oakland
NOV 10: at Chicago*
NOV 17: Dallas
NOV 24: at Washington
NOV 28: Chicago*
DEC 8: at Minnesota*
DEC 15: Tampa Bay
DEC 22: at Denver
DEC 29: Green Bay*

I do hope the Detroit Lions have a great season. I doubt the 2019 Lions will have any kind of impressive season. Realistic long shot is that they somehow get themselves an NFC Wild Card berth.

Again- I wish the Detroit Lions a great 2019 season, as I do various other NFL teams out of unbiased sportsmanship.

The next team to bring to light in my own little preview is coming up. And it is a preview of the...

2019 Oakland Raiders Preview

Many people find today's Oakland Raiders to an absolute clown show. When I first followed the NFL, the Raiders made it to the Super Bowl and ended up losing to Tampa Bay. This Raiders team of late is ENTIRELY different. Oakland in 2018 was 18th in passing yards, 25th in rushing yards, and 22nd in total yards per game. The black and silver boys will still try and have themselves as solid a season they can have. Doing so requires MoLIEG's Raiders going through THIS schedule:

* = division game

AUG 10: Los Angeles Rams (Preseason)
AUG 15: at Arizona (Preseason)
AUG 22: Green Bay (Preseason)
AUG 29: at Seattle (Preseason)

SEP 9: Denver* (MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
SEP 15: Kansas City*
SEP 22: at Minnesota
SEP 29: at Indianapolis
OCT 6: Chicago
~~~ Bye Week ~~~
OCT 20: at Green Bay
OCT 27: at Houston
NOV 3: Detroit
NOV 7: Los Angeles Chargers* (THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
NOV 17: Cincinnati
NOV 24: at New York Jets
DEC 1: at Kansas City*
DEC 8: Tennessee
DEC 15: Jacksonville
DEC 22: at Los Angeles Chargers*
DEC 29: at Denver*

There aren't too many people who think the Raiders are going anywhere this season. Despite such qualms, you still have to go out there and play to the hardest of your ability. Who knows? Maybe Oakland can get on some hot streak and merit being taken a bit more seriously. They could even go on a run like the 2018 Houston Texans. Question is- do they have the talent to potentially pull such a feat, and can they have enough chemistry to make consistent winning happen? You never know. Good luck to the black and silver boys this upcoming season.

Let me bring the Bills to light now.

2019 Buffalo Bills Preview

On the doorstep but can't get in. That is sort of the feeling if you're upstate New York's Buffalo Bills. The Bills have a fairly talented team perhaps limited by mediocrity. To a lot of people, the AFC East is the New England Patriots... then everybody else- including Buffalo. Buffalo had the 31st most passing yards, 9th most rushing yards, and the 28th most total yards per game in 2018. Either Buffalo needs more passing offense or keep relying on their rushing game to be successful in 2019. Anything to get the Bills fans excited in Buffalo and in Orchard Park will be more than enough to finally emerge and arrive. This is the 2019 schedule for samurai8juice's Buffalo Bills:

* = division game

AUG 8: Indianapolis (Preseason)
AUG 16: at Carolina (Preseason)
AUG 23: at Detroit (Preseason)
AUG 29: Minnesota (Preseason)

SEP 8: at New York Jets*
SEP 15: at New York Giants
SEP 22: Cincinnati
SEP 29: New England*
OCT 6: at Tennessee
~~~ Bye Week ~~~
OCT 20: Miami*
OCT 27: Philadelphia
NOV 3: Washington
NOV 10: at Cleveland
NOV 17: at Miami*
NOV 24: Denver
NOV 28: at Dallas
DEC 8: Baltimore
DEC 15: at Pittsburgh
DEC 22: at New England*
DEC 29: at New York Jets*

No prime time matches for the Buffalo Bills this regular season. The game on November 28 is one of the Thanksgiving NFL games. I think the Bills in 2019 could finish 2nd in the AFC East ahead of Miami and the New York Jets. I don't know if they'll get past New England for top honors in the AFC East, though it would make a refreshing story to see a team other than New England dominate. It is also possible that Buffalo can get themselves an AFC Wild Card berth. I don't see the Bills finishing last place in the division or anything.

The next team to bring to light in my own little preview is coming up. And it is a preview of the...

2019 Oakland Raiders Preview

Many people find today's Oakland Raiders to an absolute clown show. When I first followed the NFL, the Raiders made it to the Super Bowl and ended up losing to Tampa Bay. This Raiders team of late is ENTIRELY different. Oakland in 2018 was 18th in passing yards, 25th in rushing yards, and 22nd in total yards per game. The black and silver boys will still try and have themselves as solid a season they can have. Doing so requires MoLIEG's Raiders going through THIS schedule:

* = division game

AUG 10: Los Angeles Rams (Preseason)
AUG 15: at Arizona (Preseason)
AUG 22: Green Bay (Preseason)
AUG 29: at Seattle (Preseason)

SEP 9: Denver* (MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
SEP 15: Kansas City*
SEP 22: at Minnesota
SEP 29: at Indianapolis
OCT 6: Chicago
~~~ Bye Week ~~~
OCT 20: at Green Bay
OCT 27: at Houston
NOV 3: Detroit
NOV 7: Los Angeles Chargers* (THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
NOV 17: Cincinnati
NOV 24: at New York Jets
DEC 1: at Kansas City*
DEC 8: Tennessee
DEC 15: Jacksonville
DEC 22: at Los Angeles Chargers*
DEC 29: at Denver*

There aren't too many people who think the Raiders are going anywhere this season. Despite such qualms, you still have to go out there and play to the hardest of your ability. Who knows? Maybe Oakland can get on some hot streak and merit being taken a bit more seriously. They could even go on a run like the 2018 Houston Texans. Question is- do they have the talent to potentially pull such a feat, and can they have enough chemistry to make consistent winning happen? You never know. Good luck to the black and silver boys this upcoming season.

Thanks for the shout out bro.

These months have been... well... hard to digest. The Raiders are like the girlfriend I had once: They intentionally blew up everything and burned it to the ground, and then started to flirt with me doing moves that kinda show they want to do the right things and lure me back to loving them.

And if that girl did not fool me, neither are the Raiders. Mr. Big Chest + the madman know as Incognito + Burfict is a combination that can only work on Madden. I want to believe and return to this toxic relationship, but I can see the writings on the wall. The Chiefs might have had a deep overhaul, the Broncos might have Joe Flacco AKA the Checkdown magnet, the Chargers might have 0 fans... but IMO, the Raiders are anywhere close to capture a playoff spot. They are still going nowhere.

8 wins max is my prediction. Anything more will be a miracle. I just expect them to be watchable.

All of the teams have started Mini Camp this week. So at this point, this is where the teams will get to get themselves ready to take on another season of NFL football. The first of the Preseason matches is not really too far away as of the time of this post.

Mr. Buttfumble Mark Sanchez has retired :(

I remember that draft. Here in Mexico everyone was crazy. Mark had so much success so early in his career that everyone started to label Stafford a bust after year 2...

But something never clicked for me, and as his career progressed, it became more and more evident that his ceiling was way, way too low.

And 10 years later, I was proven right. Mark had a very average career and now he is gone. And Stafford is still here. He has been superior to Mark in every aspect but one: Playoff success.

I'm not throwing dirt on Mark, but I'm reflecting on what I saw back then: I saw a good gb with a chance to be great, or at least solid, and a natural talent that could turn into the face of the saddest franchise in the NFC and do extraordinary things.

Yeah, a I have a soft spot for the Lions. (please do good and win for Matt).

Anyway, have a good retirement Mark. Good luck with your future projects.

Back