2019 Porsche 911 (992)

The issue with the 996 was that it just looked cheap. That's probably because it was visually indistinguishable from baby Boxster.

I like the three-dimensionality of the rear in the leaked shot. While I maintain that the facelift for the 718 was a step backwards — the integrated spoiler/taillight combo was/is awesome on the original 981 — I do like the text "hovering". That's a weird HMRBL though.

The issue with the 996 was that it just looked cheap. That's probably because it was visually indistinguishable from baby Boxster.
It did look cheap, especially following the gorgeous 993 era of 911s. But I think that's because it was cheap(ish). The 996 came around when Porsche was shifting around leadership and finding ways to cut costs. It was virtually indistinguishable from the 986 Boxster because both cars shared parts from the front of the doors forward.

I think the 996 got better as the years went on with the 2002 face-lift. Just was tainted by that whole looking like a Boxster thing. But one thing is for sure, that 996 hate makes the cars relatively cheap today. :lol:

Could somebody tell the guy with the camera to take a few paces around to the front at least? If you’re gonna risk your job over some leaks, at least go the whole nine yards.
In the full image you can see the front in the mirror.
20180220_163732.jpg

I like this new Porsche 911 here. I haven't really appreciated Porsche until about a few years ago. It wasn't that I hated Porsche or anything; it was just that I didn't fully appreciate Porsche as a car company and for their performance until the past few years. This new 911 is just as sweet as almost any 911 before.

I do think it's funny how Porsche goes crazy with the camo wrap for the 911. Come on guys, you're not fooling anyone — we know what 95% of this car will look like!

That said, it doesn't look like it's actually grown at all from the 991. I could be wrong, and it's probably small increments, but it'd be nice if it bucked the embiggening trend.

I do think it's funny how Porsche goes crazy with the camo wrap for the 911. Come on guys, you're not fooling anyone — we know what 95% of this car will look like!

That said, it doesn't look like it's actually grown at all from the 991. I could be wrong, and it's probably small increments, but it'd be nice if it bucked the embiggening trend.

As the 993 was a 964 facelift (essentially) and the 997 was a 996 facelift (essentially) I'm assuming the "new" 911 will be heavily based on the 991, but with tweaks. It's the same scheme Ferrari has been using since...the 308 I guess. 308-328, 348-355, 360-430, 458-488.

Also, everybody needs to the poor 986 alone!! :lol:

/986 owner

As the 993 was a 964 facelift (essentially) and the 997 was a 996 facelift (essentially) I'm assuming the "new" 911 will be heavily based on the 991, but with tweaks. It's the same scheme Ferrari has been using since...the 308 I guess. 308-328, 348-355, 360-430, 458-488.

Also, everybody needs to the poor 986 alone!! :lol:

/986 owner

The evolution/revolution cadence works well for Ferrari, true. I'm fine with that approach for the 911 too.

I actually liked the 986 when it arrived (though I prefer the pre-facelift 981, or the original Cayman). I just can understand why people were put off by the much more expensive big brother and "icon" of the range being essentially the same from the B-pillar forward.

As the 993 was a 964 facelift (essentially) and the 997 was a 996 facelift (essentially) I'm assuming the "new" 911 will be heavily based on the 991, but with tweaks.
Nope! The 997 shared parts with the 996, so I'll give you that, but the 993 was a new 911 from the ground up after the 964. In fact the 993 was the first big step or true evolution of the 911 after 30 years. Far from a facelift.

Nope! The 997 shared parts with the 996, so I'll give you that, but the 993 was a new 911 from the ground up after the 964. In fact the 993 was the first big step or true evolution of the 911 after 30 years. Far from a facelift.

My analysis is based on doors & windshields*...essentially underlying chassis architecture. If they are the same (993 doors & windshield will fit 964 and vice-versa), the underlying car is fundamentally the same. This is demonstrable by the fact that you can backdate a 993 just as Singer does with 964s. I realize the 993 is quite a bit of a jump from the 964, but they didn't redesign the entire platform like they did between the 993 & 996, and 997 & 991.

*The Boxster sort of breaks this argument, but only because the front half of the car is literally a 996 with different suspension.

Last edited:
My analysis is based on doors & windshields*...essentially underlying chassis architecture. If they are the same (993 doors & windshield will fit 964 and vice-versa), the underlying car is fundamentally the same. This is demonstrable by the fact that you can backdate a 993 just as Singer does with 964s. I realize the 993 is quite a bit of a jump from the 964, but they didn't redesign the entire platform like they did between the 993 & 996, and 997 & 991.

*The Boxster sort of breaks this argument, but only because the front half of the car is literally a 996 with different suspension.
Ah gotcha, I see what you mean. I see all generations as a major evolution, although they look similar there are many changes. He'll, even the 997 only shares 20% of it's parts with the 996. But I see what you're saying, though facelift might be the wrong way to describe it. 993 was a step up in performance and handling too, beyond cosmetic changes but sure they are fundamentally similar.

The annoying part in this picture is that the front and rear wheels aren't the same.

They don't match because it's the falsche räder edition. It will cost $50,000 more than the normal trim because Porsche.

falsche Räder means wrong wheels and yes, I just made this version up.

IMO there is one thing that will either make or break this car’s design. Rear license plate location, if it will be located where it is on mules and also new Panamera and Cayenne, it will be ok, but if it really will be where it was on the uncovered one, ugh :indiff:

Eh, those details :D

adb
IMO there is one thing that will either make or break this car’s design. Rear license plate location, if it will be located where it is on mules and also new Panamera and Cayenne, it will be ok, but if it really will be where it was on the uncovered one, ugh :indiff:

I'm fairly confident the uncovered prototype features the number plate slot that will be used on the production car. All there is left to do is hope that high performance variants feature an alternative design. ;)

adb

@RocZX's picture of the rear at the top of this page suggests the traditional plate placement.

tbh I myself do prefer license plate placement on the uncovered prototype rather than on the mule. In my opinion, the mule has it placed quite too high.

I'm fairly confident the uncovered prototype features the number plate slot that will be used on the production car. All there is left to do is hope that high performance variants feature an alternative design. ;)
Good point about other variants having different design, hope so :D

Other than me not liking this leaked design on the yellow one, I’m worried because I absolutely hated the previous gen LCI Panamera, while it never was a good looking car, the LCI on the rear end made it awful for me

Back