2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Glad Brentford won. It will be nice to have a new team in the Premier League, rather than one of the teams that seems to bounce back and forth, which Swansea have been. Swansea will be kicking themselves in how poorly they played in such a big game.

Hope Brentford have a good season and stay up at least. I think they will have to keep Toney to have a chance of that though.

So that's me signing off and unsubscribing a Football thread for another year. Season is pretty much done now with only the last couple of play-oof to play, Blackpool currently 2-1 up v Lincoln in the League one play off.

This Euros is this Summer and there is of course a Euros thread.

Lincoln were wearing black shorts but as they were the away side they wore their away shirt which was black with red trim.

Blackpool won 2-1, they were the best team and Lincoln didn't do a lot, they didn't even score as it was an OG after 40 seconds!

Lincoln were wearing black shorts but as they were the away side they wore their away shirt which was black with red trim.
Quite, but the record was (until Brentford) teams with red-and-white-striped shirt/black shorts as a home kit, rather than during the game. Brentford broke the 16-game playoff final defeat streak yesterday, and Lincoln seem to have started a new one today.

For reference it was:

1990 Second Division - Swindon Town 1-0 Sunderland*
1997 First Division - Crystal Palace 1-0 Sheffield United
1997 Second Division - Crewe Alexandra 1-0 Brentford
1998 Championship - Charlton Athletic 4-4 Sunderland (Charlton win 7-6 on penalties)
2002 Second Division - Stoke City 2-0 Brentford
2003 First Division - Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-0 Sheffield United
2003 Third Division - Bournemouth 5-2 Lincoln City
2005 League Two - Southend United 2-0 Lincoln City (AET)
2009 Championship - Burnley 1-0 Sheffield United
2012 League One - Huddersfield Town 0-0 Sheffield United (Huddersfield win 8-7 on penalties)
2013 League One - Yeovil Town 2-1 Brentford
2017 League Two - Blackpool 2-1 Exeter City
2018 League Two - Coventry City 3-1 Exeter City
2019 League One - Charlton Athletic 2-1 Sunderland
2020 Championship - Fulham 2-1 Brentford (AET)
2020 League Two - Northampton Town 4-0 Exeter City

Absolutely extraordinary run until Brentford ruined it :lol:

*Sunderland promoted, after Swindon Town disqualified for financial irregularities

Two former Everton managers that didn't even make the grade are managing Spain's two biggest clubs.

Two former Everton managers that didn't even make the grade are managing Spain's two biggest clubs.

Just to clarify, you mean didn't make the grade at Everton! ;) :lol:

I'm surprised by Ancelotti, as he seemed to to be making the right noises of being happy at Everton. The lure of Barca and Real endures for players and managers. :rolleyes:

Just needs Martinez to get a good job after the Euro's to make a triple. ;)

Football management, the career where failure may not end your career, but may lead to a job at a better team! :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:

And the way Real's finances are, I'd get money up front if I were Ancelotti. :lol:

But wait, there’s more!

Replace Ancelotti with worse-Spanish-Ancelotti.

It would make sense for Benitez, who wants to work in the Premier League, and I think still has a home, and maybe his family lives on the Wirral, and is a successful manager who has won things, unlike some of Everton's recent managers, Ancelotti and Koeman aside. However, there are many Blues fans who would not take this well to put it mildly. :eek: :lol:

Not that you need a manager who has won things previously, but if trying to replace Ancelotti it would make sense to to try and get similar quality to maintain the positive momentum. Or they could go Ferguson or Allardyce again of course, mangers returning to previous teams seems to be a theme atm. :lol:

Antonio Conte is reportedly in advanced talks with Spurs to be their new manager.

Nuno Espirito Santo currently the favourite for the Everton job.

Antonio Conte is reportedly in advanced talks with Spurs to be their new manager.
Conte should be hot property after usurping Juve's run to 10 titles.

Nuno Espirito Santo currently the favourite for the Everton job.
Can't see what that would get him over what he had at Wolves other than a pay rise, :confused: which is obviously enough for most people. ;) Everton finished 14 points ahead of Wolves, but I think the loss of Jimenez skews the difference between the squads. I thought Nuno Esprito Santo would go abroad rather than stay in the Premier League. Time will tell.

Can't see what that would get him over what he had at Wolves other than a pay rise, :confused: which is obviously enough for most people. ;) Everton finished 14 points ahead of Wolves, but I think the loss of Jimenez skews the difference between the squads. I thought Nuno Esprito Santo would go abroad rather than stay in the Premier League. Time will tell.

Yeah I don't quite understand that one. That would seem like a lateral move at best.

Last edited:
Conte-Spurs talks have broken down, due to wages, backroom staff and the project itself, Spurs see it a a long term project with young players been involved and developed but Conte wants to win things right away.

PL clubs have announced their retained lists which is basically who they are not offering new contracts to and will be letting go on free, the biggest name from this is Man City Fernandinho who's contract is up this summer and won't be offered a new one, he has been an integral part of Pep's machine since he joined the club, big summer of rebuilding ahead at Palace with a lot of players leaving including Cahill, Van Aanholt, McCarthy, Townsend etc..., Man United are letting Romero go with Mata and Lee Grant set to sign new deals.

Last edited:
If I were Mbappe I would be slightly worried about my long term safety, after the potentially contradictory statements from PSG president Nasser Al Khelaif, because if Mbappe doesn't sign a new deal, and if they will "never sell him" or "let him leave as a free agent", then what is left! :eek: :lol:

The 2020/21 Season

PREMIER LEAGUE

2020/21 WINNERS: MANCHESTER CITY

Relegated:
Fulham
West Bromwich Albion
Sheffield United

---

CHAMPIONSHIP

2020/21 WINNERS: NORWICH CITY

Promoted:
Watford
Brentford

Relegated:
Wycombe Wanderers
Rotherham United
Sheffield Wednesday

---

LEAGUE ONE

2020/21 WINNERS: HULL CITY

Promoted:
Peterborough United
Blackpool

Relegated:
Rochdale
Northampton Town
Swindon Town
Bristol Rovers

---

LEAGUE TWO

2020/21 WINNERS: CHELTENHAM TOWN

Promoted:
Cambridge United
Bolton Wanderers
Morcambe

Relegated:
Southend United
Grimsby Town

---

ENGLISH SUPER CUP

Current Holders: Manchester City

2020/21 WINNERS: ARSENAL

---

FA CUP

Current Holders: Arsenal

2020/21 WINNERS: CHELSEA

---

FOOTBALL LEAGUE CUP

Current Holders: Manchester City

2020/21 WINNERS: MANCHESTER CITY

---

FOOTBALL LEAGUE TROPHY

Current Holders: Salford City

2020/21 WINNERS: SUNDERLAND

If I were Mbappe I would be slightly worried about my long term safety, after the potentially contradictory statements from PSG president Nasser Al Khelaif, because if Mbappe doesn't sign a new deal, and if they will "never sell him" or "let him leave as a free agent", then what is left! :eek: :lol:
Sounds like a man who is used to making threats.

Back