• 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wolves 2-1 Brighton
Villa 1-3 Man United
West Ham 0-1 Everton

Lewis Dunk put Brighton in front but then got sent off, Traore came on and equalised before Gibbs-White come on to make it 2-1, Maupay was sent off after the full time whistle for foul and abusive language.

Bertrand Traore put Villa in front with a great finish and some suspect defending, but then Second Half FC turned up once again! Fernandes penalty made it 1-1 after Luiz's clumsy challenge on Pogba in the box, Greenwood made it two with a nice bit of play soon after and Cavani headed in the third a few minutes from time, one worry for United was Harry Maguire going off injured, Villa had Watkins sent off for two yellows and the second was a dive in the box,

Calvert-Lewin with the only goal in the game at the London Stadium after a great pass from Godfrey put him in, a blow to West Ham's top four hopes and Leicester blow a sigh of relief.

Arsenal v West Brom to come, if West Brom lose then they are relegated.

Well done to Serie A for making their rules clear before the start of next season so Juventus can make their choice, rather than lingering neither here nor there.

Juventus are not strangers to being kicked out of Serie A of course, ;) but then there was a route back into the top division, hopefully the Italian FA would bar this from happening if the stay with the 'Super League', and I would every National FA to impose similar rules.

So as promised here are the mid week league games for this week.

Tuesday.
Man United v Leicester (6pm BT)
Southampton v Crystal Palace (8.15 Sky)

Wednesday.
Chelsea v Arsenal (8.15 Sky)

Thursday.
Aston Villa v Everton (6pm Sky)
Man United v Liverpool (8.15 Sky)

Missing the Leicester game because of work but can and will watch the Liverpool game.

---------------------------------------------
Also as it was the final day of the Football League season over the weekend I'd thought Id post a little round up of the up and downs, Championship and League Two had their final days fixtures on Saturday and League One finished up yesterday.

Championship
Promoted:

Norwich (champions)
Watford

Play-Offs
Barnsley v Swansea
Bournemouth v Brentford
(first leg May 17th, second leg May 22nd, final May 29th)

Relegated
Sheffield Wednesday
Rotherham
Wycombe
---------------------------------
League One
Promoted

Hull City (champions)
Peterborough

Play-Offs
Blackpool v Oxford
Sunderland v Lincoln
(first leg May18th/19th, second leg May 21st/22nd, final May 30th)

Relegated
Rochdale
Northampton
Swindon
Bristol Rovers
------------------------------------------
League Two
Promoted

Cheltenham (champions)
Cambridge
Bolton

Play-Offs
Morecambe v Tranmere
Newport v Forest Green
(first leg May 18th/20th, second leg May 23rd, final May 31st)

Relegated
Southend
Grimsby

Last edited:
Also as it was the final day of the Football League season over the weekend I'd thought Id post a little round up of the up and downs
Well... let's not be too hasty about relegating Wycombe and not Derby...

Hang on what?
There's a little chatter that some legal wrangling may yet see the EFL apply the -12pt FFP penalty to Derby for their stadium sale (the same thing Wednesday were and yet also weren't punished for, and for which Derby and Aston Villa have never faced any penalty) - although even if it does, I think that the EFL only has until July 1st to do so to have it apply for this season.

Ah yeah I saw that, Will be interesting if it happens.

Fulham have just been relegated from the PL, needed to beat Burnley but lost 0-2.

Last edited:
Fulham's relegation has me wondering, which season's relegated teams had the lowest combined points?

There's a little chatter that some legal wrangling may yet see the EFL apply the -12pt FFP penalty to Derby for their stadium sale (the same thing Wednesday were and yet also weren't punished for, and for which Derby and Aston Villa have never faced any penalty) - although even if it does, I think that the EFL only has until July 1st to do so to have it apply for this season.
As an aside, here is an account on the fit-and-properness of Erik Alonso's supposed takeover of Derby:

upload_2021-5-11_10-41-13.png

As an aside, here is an account on the fit-and-properness of Erik Alonso's supposed takeover of Derby:

View attachment 1010261
On the bright side, at least he actually exists, unlike the bloke the EFL let buy Wigan before docking them 12 points for entering administration because their owner wasn't real. I wonder what fit and proper person test he passed.

Apart from "fit and proper person to get them relegated, like the betting syndicate owned by the previous owner wanted to happen and the EFL knew about", obviously.

BBC is now carrying the story that the EFL has won its appeal against Derby, and we should hear what the outcome of that is soon. Apparently Derby also took legal action against some papers several weeks ago to stop the story coming out. Sounds like a car crash at least as large as the one at Hillsborough.

Man City are EPL champions after Man Utd lose at home to Leicester.

Kind of begs the question why Man Utd fielded a B-team tonight... perhaps just facing reality that there was no way they were going to win the league, but still a bit odd given that they technically still had a shot at the title.

Last edited:
We have got the postponed Liverpool game on Thursday and we played Villa on Sunday, Ole was never going to pick the same players for three games in five days, he said he would rotate and rest players today and that's what he did, I don't mind it. I didn't see the game but apparently our young players who came in did well.

Congrats to Man City, it is well deserved and we now have some players fresh for Liverpool.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus will be thrown out of the Champions League for two years if they don't back down on their stance on the Super League.

The rest of the clubs involved have backed down and accepted fines and sanctions as punishment.

The three said clubs seems to think that the league will still go ahead.

Chelsea 0-1 Arsenal.

Bit of a calamity at the back from Jorginho lead to Smith-Rowe getting the only goal, Chelsea rested a few players for the cup final on Saturday and whilst they had most possession and hit the bar twice they were awful in attack, race for top four takes another turn.

Kind of begs the question why Man Utd fielded a B-team tonight... perhaps just facing reality that there was no way they were going to win the league, but still a bit odd given that they technically still had a shot at the title.

Chiefly, it's because they have three games in five days but consider this; playing Liverpool tonight gives Man United a great chance at stopping them getting into the Champions League. (Letting) Leicester win also helps achieve this.

Last edited:
Chiefly, it's because they have three games in five days but consider this; playing Liverpool tonight gives Man United a great chance at stopping them getting into the Champions League. (Letting) Leicester win also helps achieve this.
I get the fixture congestion issue, not least as Man U also have the Europe League final coming up, but it is somewhat incredible that they would field an actual B-team when they still had a mathematical shot at winning their first title in 9 years... I seriously doubt that Liverpool's league position had any bearing on the decision, as that would be staggeringly churlish. In any case, I guess OGS just figured that there was no realistic way that Man U could win the league, hence it wouldn't have made much difference anyway.

It was a long shot, definitely. I simply think three games in five days is way too tough on the legs. Leicester was the middle game so that's the rest for the A-team.

There was a large amount of United fans outside Old Trafford but they have been moved on by Police who are there in much bigger numbers compared to 10 days ago.

United players and staff have been at the ground since mid afternoon.

Last edited:
Man United 2-4 Liverpool.

A Nat Philips OG gave United the lead and we had a good start to the game but then Liverpool settled, Jota scored with a nice flick and poor defending led to a Firmino header after a great ball in from a Trent free kick right before HT, and then some abysmal defending led to Firmino getting his second and we were just all over the place, some nice play led to Rashford making it 2-3 with still 20 mins left and whilst United chased an equaliser Salah was left unmarked to make it 2-4, we missed Maguire so badly tonight and back-to-back defeats, Liverpool now just four points of fourth place.

-----------------------------------
Games this weekend.

Friday.
Newcastle v Man City (8pm Sky)

Saturday.
Burnley v Leeds (12.30 BT)
Southampton v Fulham (3pm Sky)
FA Cup Final
Chelsea v Leicester (5.15, BBC & BT)
Brighton v West Ham (8pm Sky)

Sunday.
Crystal Palace v Aston Villa (12pm Sky)
Tottenham v Wolves (2.05 Sky)
West Brom v Liverpool (4.30 Sky)
Everton v Sheffield United (7pm BT)

Last edited:
Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus will be thrown out of the Champions League for two years if they don't back down on their stance on the Super League.

The rest of the clubs involved have backed down and accepted fines and sanctions as punishment.

The three said clubs seems to think that the league will still go ahead.
Depending on the outcome of this weekend's matches, Juventus may miss out on next season's Champions League anyway. If they lose to Inter and Milan, Atalanta, and Napoli all win, Juve will miss the top 4 in Serie A.

Leicester City win the FA Cup with a deserved victory. Spectacular goal by Tielemans and some stonking saves by Schmeichel won the match for them. Chelsea had a late equaliser ruled out by VAR for a super-close but ultimately correct Offside against former Leicester man Ben Chilwell - who was booed loudly by the Leicester fans every time he touched the ball.

Last edited:
Very well deserved for Leicester, sensational goal and some fantastic saves by Kasper.

Something pretty big has happened today and history has been made.

It came in the WBA-Liverpool game which just finished and the Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson scored the winning goal in the 95th minute with a great header from a Trent corner! Its the first time that a keeper has ever scored the winning goal in a Premier League game and he becomes the first keeper to score in the PL since Begovic in 2013 and its the sixth time overall that a keeper has scored a PL goal. He was very emotional after and dedicated the goal to his late father who passed away two months ago, Liverpool won 2-1, West Brom took the lead from Robson Kanu and then Salah equalised.

Elsewhere today Palace had a great comeback victory over Villa 3-2 and Spurs beat Wolves 2-0. Everton v Sheffield United to come tonight.

I have never laughed so much at a goal. :eek: :lol:

With the way Liverpool's season has gone, I expected West Brom to clear the corner and go up the other end and score because the keeper was out of position. :rolleyes: But to score like that, (brilliant header), for what it could mean to Liverpool's final finishing position, and what that could mean in these difficult financial times to the club could make it a more historic goal than stats for goalies scoring.

Add Alisson's recent family circumstances, his father dying in a tragic drowning accident a few months ago, and not being able to go back to Brazil for the funeral or be with family, and he and his wife welcomed a son into the family last week, I think the emotion all came out after the goal.

The first time a Liverpool keeper has scored in a competitive game whilst playing as a keeper in the whole 128 year of history too. 👍 :)

Already relegated Sheffield United beat Everton 1-0, 17-year old Daniel Jebbison with the only goal on his debut, another blow to Everton's European hopes.

Yeah, yeah, Alisson scored. First Liverpool goalie to score, ever. 95th minute.

But the most amazing thing is that Liverpool had this ready.

upload_2021-5-17_8-41-10.png

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah, Alisson scored. First Liverpool goalie to score, ever. 95th minute.

But the most amazing thing is that Liverpool had this ready.

View attachment 1011497
Take about two minutes to alter if they had all the elements ready in Photoshop, or something similar. Just add the background text. They would probably have something like this for all the players ready, just in case they did something notable. ;)

Back