2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments

What’s interesting here is we now have a better look at the revised Camaro Body. The nose looks less pointy. Probably to help with Superspeedway races.

Dammit.

It's inevitable, but... Dammit.

Apparently, he'd just started receiving hospice care, and while I imagine the company is full of people who are doing all they can to do their job, when they're brought in it's usually a very short time before they pass on. He'd been looking a little rough over the last few years, but it will always be a sad day when someone dies.

I don't really drink, so if someone else will take the moonshine, I'll swing a jack in his honor.

Denny Hamlin is starting an iRacing team.
But more importantly, this tweet shows us Hamlins old NASCAR Racing 2003 Season setup.

Dammit.

It's inevitable, but... Dammit.

Apparently, he'd just started receiving hospice care, and while I imagine the company is full of people who are doing all they can to do their job, when they're brought in it's usually a very short time before they pass on. He'd been looking a little rough over the last few years, but it will always be a sad day when someone dies.

I don't really drink, so if someone else will take the moonshine, I'll swing a jack in his honor.
Sad reality is once you're on hospice that means you're in the final stages and will probably soon pass on. There isn't anything they can do but have made him comfortable for him and his family, and as painless as possible.

He's a legend and helped forever shape a sport he will be greatly missed but not forgotten.

In addition to the single centre lugnut, apparently crews will be going to the fuel hose like other motorsports rather than the classic gas can. Makes sense, everyone else changed long ago for a reason.

Another interesting rumour is that the speculated hybrid component of the new car will be a shared power unit with IMSA prototypes and maybe Indycar as well. It would make sense for the top American series to collaborate on that but it still seems like a tall undertaking.

I don’t really get the endless speculation about new OEMs joining NASCAR though. Volkswagen’s name keeps coming up, which makes zero sense to me since NASCAR is the antithesis of their post-dieselgate EV focus. Honda seems like they’d be stretched a bit thin trying to race in IMSA and Indycar as well. Really the only new manufacturers that seem even remotely likely are the return of Dodge and the Koreans, probably Kia with the Stinger or Optima. I could also see one of the Chinese companies coming in when they get around to selling cars here. And 2021 is a HUGE stretch to get all of that organized.

In addition to the single centre lugnut, apparently crews will be going to the fuel hose like other motorsports rather than the classic gas can. Makes sense, everyone else changed long ago for a reason.

Another interesting rumour is that the speculated hybrid component of the new car will be a shared power unit with IMSA prototypes and maybe Indycar as well. It would make sense for the top American series to collaborate on that but it still seems like a tall undertaking.

I don’t really get the endless speculation about new OEMs joining NASCAR though. Volkswagen’s name keeps coming up, which makes zero sense to me since NASCAR is the antithesis of their post-dieselgate EV focus. Honda seems like they’d be stretched a bit thin trying to race in IMSA and Indycar as well. Really the only new manufacturers that seem even remotely likely are the return of Dodge and the Koreans, probably Kia with the Stinger or Optima. I could also see one of the Chinese companies coming in when they get around to selling cars here. And 2021 is a HUGE stretch to get all of that organized.
Volkswagen rumors went away for good sometime around Dieselgate, IDK who seriously thinks Volkswagen will care anymore, Honda make logical sense, but you're right in that it could torpedo their other, potentially more eye catching racing operations. Dodge is like the rest of FCA; who knows what's going on up there, with PSA buying the whole thing, thus now sending the brand even farther from the "traditional USA" image they sell, and the fact that the brand will likely not be here in 20 years as a result. Other than that, I would love for them to return. Kia would be a welcome addition as well, they just gotta lop 2 doors off the Stinger.

Volkswagen rumors went away for good sometime around Dieselgate, IDK who seriously thinks Volkswagen will care anymore, Honda make logical sense, but you're right in that it could torpedo their other, potentially more eye catching racing operations. Dodge is like the rest of FCA; who knows what's going on up there, with PSA buying the whole thing, thus now sending the brand even farther from the "traditional USA" image they sell, and the fact that the brand will likely not be here in 20 years as a result. Other than that, I would love for them to return. Kia would be a welcome addition as well, they just gotta lop 2 doors off the Stinger.

I think the PSA merger is a positive for Dodge’s return to NASCAR, since they’ll be a bit more financially stable and it could be a last gasp marketing attempt to see if the Dodge brand still has any cachet in America. But I agree the Chrysler and Dodge brands are not long for this world.

The Koreans seem to be on a performance kick as of late and still seem to have a belief in RWD vehicles, so that’s why I think NASCAR makes sense for them. They also still don’t quite have the familiarity and adopted Americanness that someone like Toyota has.

It blows my mind that NASCAR hasn’t made any effort to put together any sort of EV oval racing series. That would go a long way to attracting new OEMs, and it would make sense for short (30-45 minute) IROC-style support races either directly before or after Xfinity or Trucks a few times a year.

I think the PSA merger is a positive for Dodge’s return to NASCAR, since they’ll be a bit more financially stable and it could be a last gasp marketing attempt to see if the Dodge brand still has any cachet in America. But I agree the Chrysler and Dodge brands are not long for this world.

The Koreans seem to be on a performance kick as of late and still seem to have a belief in RWD vehicles, so that’s why I think NASCAR makes sense for them.
All true. But for some reason, I'm expecting the French to throw a hissyfit over something minor after only 1-2 seasons and basically ruin the Dodge brand among the NASCAR faithful.

The thing about new marques entering NASCAR is that they're going to want to start with a top level team that can shoulder the majority of R&D cost and provide engines, and there just aren't that many of them anymore, let alone ones that would be willing to basically start from scratch with an unproven program.

Part of what made FCA decide against a Dodge comeback recently was their estimate that it would cost some $10-15 million on their part to start from the ground up, and frankly for that kind of money you could do much more effective advertising than to join a racing series that's not nearly as relevant now as it was back when Toyota bought in.

cost some $10-15 million on their part

source.gif

Well, keep in mind that they had also just started becoming profitable and had already pulled out of other motorsports in the last couple years. Throwing that much into the bonfire to get maybe one team on your side wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Part of me is glad because I always hated the trend of sports venues being branded by companies with non-consumer products. But at the same time, this is another company pulling their money out of motorsports and that's never a good sign.

“Phoenix Raceway and ISM Connect have mutually agreed to restructure their relationship and will discontinue its naming rights partnership. We look forward to transitioning back to Phoenix Raceway, a brand that has built a strong affinity across the racing community since our opening in 1964. The repositioning of Phoenix Raceway aligns with NASCAR’s integrated sponsorship strategy and supports ISM Connect’s efforts to shift their focus from brand awareness to delivering their next generation technology at NASCAR facilities. We thank ISM Connect for their partnership as we look forward to a historic season for our track, culminating with the 2020 NASCAR Cup Series Championship at Phoenix Raceway.”

AKA ISM don’t want to be sued for breach of contract.

I have a feeling this is another case of a company not having any money to pull.
Or their beancounters decided there wasn't enough return on investment for what they were paying for the naming rights. Which would be pretty accurate in this case, since I reckon there aren't that many people in the crowd for a NASCAR race looking for high dollar outdoor digital signage solutions.

Or their beancounters decided there wasn't enough return on investment for what they were paying for the naming rights.

If this was far into the deal I could see that, however that's not the case here. This deal was only signed 2 years ago and was a 10 year deal, pulling out that early seems to hint something more than second thoughts. Not to mention cancelling a contract is never cheap.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/penske-cup-crew-chief-lineup/4632531/

Pretty major news.

Bullins to the 2
Gordon to the 12
Wolfe to the 22

BK definitely got the worst end of the deal here. I wonder if this is Penske phasing him out and reverting back to 2 cars.

Or I’m just reading too much into this.

Definitely makes me hopefully for Logano and Blaney. Wolfe is definitely the best cc that Penske has, so makes sense putting him with their now lead driver. Gordon and Blaney will be pretty strong too

Back