2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
BK definitely got the worst end of the deal here.
Reminds me of Mayfield before the 2006 season. He made the Chase in '04 with Kenny Francis as his crew chief. Mayfield got Slugger Labbe for '05, who abruptly left halfway through the Chase. After completing his 2nd straight Chase, Mayfield was rewarded by having his crew and cars sent to Kahne. Francis also became his full time crew chief in the process. Scott Riggs, having joined Evernham with a third team, got all of Kahne's crew and cars. Mayfield meanwhile got stuck with the R&D junk and a fairly inexperienced crew chief. The rest is history. Ray messed around with Erin Crocker, Mayfield called him out on it and promptly got sacked.

Back on topic, I don't think that kind of thing will happen to Brad, but you never know...:lol:

Last edited:
I wonder if this is Penske phasing him out and reverting back to 2 cars.

I don't see them going back to 2 cars any time soon, especially with Austin in Xfinity and Ford seemingly getting serious about their development program. They're going to want their drivers in competitive cars and only 2 teams seem to fit that bill.

I still think Blaney will be in the 48 in ‘21 (Erik Jones is the only other possibility) and I suppose Cindric will take his place at Penske. I can’t tell if Brad is in a downswing or just in a slump. Maybe we’ll all be surprised and he’ll have a spark with Bullins.

Logano was already my pick for the championship this season and him having Wolfe makes my feeling even more strong.

I could see the Truck series getting the axe since ARCA is officially under the NASCAR umbrella now. The Xfinity series on the other hand should be safe since it's transitioning into a true developmental series, which it should have been from the beginning.

I could see the Truck series getting the axe since ARCA is officially under the NASCAR umbrella now. The Xfinity series on the other hand should be safe since it's transitioning into a true developmental series, which it should have been from the beginning.
I dunno. Trucks are big business, even more so now then before, and it wouldn't surprise me if they chose to keep that one just to appease the manufacturers even if "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" hasn't really been a thing for a while now.

Also, they're only using these rules at the four or so tracks where they can't piggyback their logistics with Cup teams, so it's a bit early to start the death clock methinks.

Last edited:
I don't get how they said it will increase tire strategies when they are literally telling them when and how many tires to change. Unless I misunderstood something?

I don't get how they said it will increase tire strategies when they are literally telling them when and how many tires to change. Unless I misunderstood something?
I think it's an "anti-safety first" thing NASCAR has decided let's see how many cars/trucks we can destroy with this new and improved stupid rule. As far as the ARCA goes NASCAR might have bought it out to kill it so they will have more people watching NASCAR.

The truck series will live, in fact they are in the best shape of the top 3 by now as far as manufacture participation goes.

Are they? Looking at the full season entries doesn't give me much faith in the future of the series.

As far as the ARCA goes NASCAR might have bought it out to kill it so they will have more people watching NASCAR.

Considering the K&N series has been placed under the ARCA banner, I very much doubt they want to kill it. Plus it's not like anyone was watching ARCA before NASCAR bought it.

The Truck series are basically glorified late models as it is, with most of the teams running the spec Ilmor engine. The OEMs are pretty much only sticking around since they have (probably futile) hope that NASCAR will come up with new engine regulations at some point to bring back the OEM engines, but that doesn’t seem likely. As it is now they really are just sponsor stickers. I don’t really see the point of 3 national touring series in this day and age anyway. 2 is enough and that’s how most other major racing series do it (F2, Indy Lights, Pilot Challenge etc.) with the 2nd tier series acting as a true support series. Other NASCAR series like ARCA can still race on Cup weekends at the shorter tracks occasionally.

Are they? Looking at the full season entries doesn't give me much faith in the future of the series.

True, I was referring to the vehicles themselves mainly, as those are the currently the closest to production vehicles. Since NASCAR want to be more OEM friendly, it would behoove them to prop up the truck series as much as possible given the automotive climate in the USA.
The Truck series are basically glorified late models as it is, with most of the teams running the spec Ilmor engine. The OEMs are pretty much only sticking around since they have (probably futile) hope that NASCAR will come up with new engine regulations at some point to bring back the OEM engines, but that doesn’t seem likely. As it is now they really are just sponsor stickers. I don’t really see the point of 3 national touring series in this day and age anyway. 2 is enough and that’s how most other major racing series do it (F2, Indy Lights, Pilot Challenge etc.) with the 2nd tier series acting as a true support series. Other NASCAR series like ARCA can still race on Cup weekends at the shorter tracks occasionally.
See above. prop up the road relevance of the trucks (since real trucks have a solid rear axle and front suspension similar to current NASCAR cup cars anyway) and let ARCA/K&N/Xfinity as the "glorified late models".

In an effort to improve the racing on short tracks and road courses, NASCAR delivered the following updates to the 2020 Cup Series race package to teams today:

Technical Details

• Spoiler – 2.75″ (from 8″)
  • Splitter – 0.25″ overhang (from 2″); approx. 2″ wings (from approx. 10.5″)
  • Radiator pan – vertical fencing removed (dimensions of pan remain the same)
Tracks

• Bristol Motor Speedway
  • Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval
  • Dover International Speedway
  • Martinsville Speedway
  • New Hampshire Motor Speedway
  • Phoenix Raceway
  • Richmond Raceway
  • Sonoma Raceway
  • Watkins Glen International

For comparison the spoiler height was 2.375” in 2017/18.

In an effort to improve the racing on short tracks and road courses, NASCAR delivered the following updates to the 2020 Cup Series race package to teams today:

Technical Details

• Spoiler – 2.75″ (from 8″)
  • Splitter – 0.25″ overhang (from 2″); approx. 2″ wings (from approx. 10.5″)
  • Radiator pan – vertical fencing removed (dimensions of pan remain the same)
Tracks

• Bristol Motor Speedway
  • Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval
  • Dover International Speedway
  • Martinsville Speedway
  • New Hampshire Motor Speedway
  • Phoenix Raceway
  • Richmond Raceway
  • Sonoma Raceway
  • Watkins Glen International

For comparison the spoiler height was 2.375” in 2017/18.

Nice. I hate this high downforce BS package especially for short tracks.

Some more in depth pictures of the Next Gen car although still can't see much. It does have IRS. Wish we could get some better shots but these are the best there are right now.

Next_Gen_wheels_off.jpg
Next_Gen_wheels_off_zoomed_rear.jpg
Next_Gen-wheels_off_zoomed_front.jpg

1) I like the livery, granted compared to his Oscar Mayer schemes pretty much anything looks good. :lol:

2) NASCAR needs to add something to the name as it simply being "NASCAR Cup Series" sounds weird (reminds me of when Winston sponsored them so they called it just "Cup Series" on games and toys). My suggestion would be to name the "cup" after a legend of the sport. Petty would probably be the most obvious since it's a name that's been around since the start.

1) I like the livery, granted compared to his Oscar Mayer schemes pretty much anything looks good. :lol:

2) NASCAR needs to add something to the name as it simply being "NASCAR Cup Series" sounds weird (reminds me of when Winston sponsored them so they called it just "Cup Series" on games and toys). My suggestion would be to name the "cup" after a legend of the sport. Petty would probably be the most obvious since it's a name that's been around since the start.

If they named it after someone, it wouldn’t make much sense to be anything other than Bill France. But I don’t think it’ll happen since they like changing the trophy every few years.

Back