2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
I predict they will not find out who the person was that hung the noose. The actions before and after the race yesterday even further my thoughts that this was all a publicity stunt.
So you really believe that the organization that has been trying for many years to promote diversity among its participants, and that was just under heavy scrutiny recently for one of its drivers using a racially offensive term, is going to commit an act of symbolism associated directly with hate crime during a time of violent social unrest, knowing full well that if they get outed as the perpetrators at any point then they would permanently destroy their reputation and probably open themselves up to no end of lawsuits and other repercussions from teams, sponsors and anyone else associated with them?

AfC79o9.png

NASCAR has made some highly questionable decisions over the last couple decades, but thinking that anyone in the upper ranks would consider this to be beneficial is frankly just absurd. It's far more likely that some track worker just has an incredibly tasteless sense of "humor" and knew they likely wouldn't get caught.

Why does a garage pull down look like that though? Couldn't it just be a simple loop and string???

An overreaction by NASCAR. Talladega should probably keep it's garages more maintained.

Not that I don't understand why there COULD be an overreaction, but nonetheless.

Quality overreaction by feeble minds, once again. **** the facts, just scream and panic.

No win situation for NASCAR. There'd be idiots appropriating the outcome for their own agenda either way. NASCAR did all they could do and be as open about it as possible. In fact, I bet twitter will still be flooded with accusations of a local white wash.

I'm glad it was (apparently) a false alarm. The show of support was no less genuine, and it makes Talladega look a little bit less redneck.

No win situation for NASCAR. There'd be idiots appropriating the outcome for their own agenda either way. NASCAR did all they could do and be as open about it as possible. In fact, I bet twitter will still be flooded with accusations of a local white wash.

I'm glad it was (apparently) a false alarm. The show of support was no less genuine, and it makes Talladega look a little bit less redneck.
Agreed. Now they should go after the morons with the plane who think NASCAR is a public resource.

I'm glad it wasn't intentional and Bubba's safety was never in jeopardy. But now have to listen to the people say how you should never jump to conclusions until the facts are in. Mostly the same people who jumped to the conclusion that it was a setup and Bubba probably did it himself and wouldn't probably even accept if he didn't. Jussie Smollett really changed some views on what is real and what is fabricated. Now people immediately assume it's fabricated and will go to great lengths to discredit the original story. People on both sides of the equation are so hyper defensive and so deeply entrenched in their views that everything, everyday, is a new potential battleground. I'm not sure how that ever gets walked back at this point.

Agreed. Now they should go after the morons with the plane who think NASCAR is a public resource.

Not sure if it made news there, but we had a plane towing a White Lives Matter banner over a football match. e: the airport grounded all such flights.

Not sure if it made news there, but we had a plane towing a White Lives Matter banner over a football match. e: the airport grounded all such flights.
That I did hear about. I didn't know what ended up happening in the end after all was said and done.

[QUOTE="Blood Eagle, post: 13148510, member: 263652”]People on both sides of the equation are so hyper defensive and so deeply entrenched in their views that everything, everyday, is a new potential battleground. I'm not sure how that ever gets walked back at this point.[/QUOTE]
It doesn’t, thank social media.

The rope in question last October. The Wood Brothers team acknowledged it was in their garage. It definitely could be construed as a noose, and according to Steve Phelps it was the only garage with the rope tied like that.

Well, IMO, wether it was staged or not, at least NASCAR showed they do care for diversity and at the end, everyone are the same outside and inside. Just check twitter, nobody cared if it was made-up or not :)

You can say Bubba "gently opened the door"...
My comment didn't aged well....

I just saw the news, and honestly I think this was the best possible outcome, especially looking at the series of events.

• A very well-meaning crew member thinks he/she saw something suspicious, and immediately reports it.
  • NASCAR immediately puts out a presser saying that they're taking this very seriously, and will do everything they can to investigate the incident. They make good on this promise by asking the FBI to investigate.
  • Race day comes around, and the entirety of NASCAR, including The King himself, rival drivers, teams, sponsors, and commentators rally behind Bubba and show their support, which that combined with the last few weeks of activity has no doubt introduced a boatload of people to the sport. We also get NASCAR really committing to their efforts to encourage diversity in the sport and to make it more welcoming.
  • Talledega turns out to be an awesome race, and Bubba says some choice words at the end, which imo still hold weight, given how some "fans" have shown their true colors over the past month.
  • FBI concludes their investigation, saying that the "noose" was a door puller that had been present since at least October.
  • Nobody loses their job, nobody goes to jail, nobody decided to go full-on racist dumbass, and Bubba is actually safe (well, at least as safe as a race car driver can be).
All things considered, the only thing about this situation that's really bad is that people are gonna try to use this against Bubba, which is unfortunate given that Bubba never actually saw the "noose." It's just as likely that Bubba would've gone into the garage and seen that it was just their door puller and nothing nutty. But he didn't and he reacted how anybody in his position would reasonably react. It sucks, and it's a little annoying, but given all that's going on in the world, I do think it's understandable that someone in the 43 camp would be more worried about such things.

All that being said, I feel like that the people that are going to attempt to use this against Bubba are the ones that already have it out for him, such as those who immediately started posting fake stories right after the initial incident,...

...or Mike Skinner's son calling for Bubba to be tied around his neck and dragged around the pits. Basically, people that shouldn't be take seriously to begin with.

Yes, NASCAR once again has some egg on their face, but at least this time NASCAR decided to be stupid for the right reasons.

Soooooo....... his was the only garage that was like that?

From what I'm reading online, it seems that the 43 garage is/was the only one with their door puller tied in such a fashion. The Woods Brothers team used that same spot last year, and they recently reported seeing it there as well.

Looking at the picture, I do kinda see how someone could see that as a noose.

EbOgf7zVAAE3GxX

Jussie Smolett of NASCAR

And the whole sad part about it is I remember when Darrel Wallace Jr won his first truck race, he wanted to be known as a driver first who just happened to be black. The interview is out there. And now with the influence of NASCAR trying to gain popularity at the expense of a good young man is reprehensible.

Last edited by a moderator:
.......................................and I called it. An attention grab for poor Bubba, and Nascar gets to look like the model organization for being proactive. That PULL DOWN ROPE has been there since October at least. Someone tied it like that to make it easier to close the door. NOT to target no talent no driving attention diva Bubba.

Last edited by a moderator:
The threat in the garage was not genuine but the support from every driver/crew who walked with the #43 on Monday absolutely was real. I'd like to think that the support shown then extends to everything else Bubba is going through right now, just look at the comments on any of his or NASCAR's posts, he needs all the love he can get.

The threat in the garage was not genuine but the support from every driver/crew who walked with the #43 on Monday absolutely was real. I'd like to think that the support shown then extends to everything else Bubba is going through right now, just look at the comments on any of his or NASCAR's posts, he needs all the love he can get.

He needs all the TALENT he can get. He couldn't out run Danica. She got to be in the sport because she was a woman, and people threw money at her. Then when they realized she had no talent the money slowly ran out. Bubba needs to play this Black Lives Matter thing as long as he can. Because when it's gone, he will be too. Maybe he can help Danica on her cooking show?

He needs all the TALENT he can get. He couldn't out run Danica. She got to be in the sport because she was a woman, and people threw money at her. Then when they realized she had no talent the money slowly ran out. Bubba needs to play this Black Lives Matter thing as long as he can. Because when it's gone, he will be too. Maybe he can help Danica on her cooking show?
Be honest, most of the hate he is getting is not related to his on-track performances. I don't think he is doing a bad job in a Petty car (he is ahead of Custer/SHR in the standings).

Be honest, most of the hate he is getting is not related to his on-track performances. I don't think he is doing a bad job in a Petty car (he is ahead of Custer/SHR in the standings).

Custer only got the ride in the SHR car because daddy is President of Operations at SHR. But a fair assessment. Custer nor Wallace have the talent to be racing at the Cup level. Custer got his ride because of daddy, and Wallace got his ride because of race. Neither will be in Cup in 5 years time.

... So are we just going to ignore the near half-hour conversation Ty Dillon had with Darrell Wallace about the times "Bubba" did have people harass him over his the color of his skin? (Usually police officers, but that's a can of worms I'm not opening here.) And his appearance on Dale Earnhardt Jr's podcast talking about similar subjects? All so you can revel in claiming that all of that was just leading up to this manufactured controversy, that the genuine solidarity and support I saw on Monday before the start of race at Talladega was fake/mandated and NASCAR aided and abetted all of it just to get a pop on a TV rating for a week?

It's just pathetic. And sad.

Also, when did the average fan of any sport stop appreciating the danger, the inherent risks, the hard work and dedication that goes into just being there? I think that is the actual root of the outrage and quick judgement around the idea that Bubba Wallace is the next Jussie Smollet (When he clearly is not); Because the average fan now thinks that because somebody is on a losing team, or running near the back of the field in a race, or has backing behind them that allows them to keep their job no matter the result that they, the fan themself, could do better in that given situation. (As an aside, most of the friends I used to know didn't watch or follow any kind of sporting events for that exact reason; They wanted to be out there doing it themselves, otherwise they didn't care and they immediately laughed at other people's failures.)

So I ask y'all this: Could YOU drive the #43 car better than Bubba is right now? If given the opportunity, could you do a better job than the likes of Timmy Hill, Garrett Smithley, Corey Lajoie, Michael McDowell, BJ MacLeod, Daniel Suarez, Chris Buscher, Ryan Preece and the others that generally just "Fill the field" on any given NASCAR weekend?

If you can, get off of your computer, go out there and do it. Because I'm getting tired of trying to actually discuss things when it seems all anybody does anymore is just throw shade and cheap shots from their keyboards without fear of reprisal.

... So are we just going to ignore the near half-hour conversation Ty Dillon had with Darrell Wallace about the times "Bubba" did have people harass him over his the color of his skin? (Usually police officers, but that's a can of worms I'm not opening here.) And his appearance on Dale Earnhardt Jr's podcast talking about similar subjects? All so you can revel in claiming that all of that was just leading up to this manufactured controversy, that the genuine solidarity and support I saw on Monday before the start of race at Talladega was fake/mandated and NASCAR aided and abetted all of it just to get a pop on a TV rating for a week?

It's just pathetic. And sad.

Also, when did the average fan of any sport stop appreciating the danger, the inherent risks, the hard work and dedication that goes into just being there? I think that is the actual root of the outrage and quick judgement around the idea that Bubba Wallace is the next Jussie Smollet (When he clearly is not); Because the average fan now thinks that because somebody is on a losing team, or running near the back of the field in a race, or has backing behind them that allows them to keep their job no matter the result that they, the fan themself, could do better in that given situation. (As an aside, most of the friends I used to know didn't watch or follow any kind of sporting events for that exact reason; They wanted to be out there doing it themselves, otherwise they didn't care and they immediately laughed at other people's failures.)

So I ask y'all this: Could YOU drive the #43 car better than Bubba is right now? If given the opportunity, could you do a better job than the likes of Timmy Hill, Garrett Smithley, Corey Lajoie, Michael McDowell, BJ MacLeod, Daniel Suarez, Chris Buscher, Ryan Preece and the others that generally just "Fill the field" on any given NASCAR weekend?

If you can, get off of your computer, go out there and do it. Because I'm getting tired of trying to actually discuss things when it seems all anybody does anymore is just throw shade and cheap shots from their keyboards without fear of reprisal.
Its hard to say Timmy Hill is a field filler in terms of talent. Most of his races comes in extremely outdated equipment. RWR and Spire Motorsports are 99 times out of 100 going to be dead in the water and have no chance to be competitive. I'm not even going to bother with the two people in this thread who believe that not only did Wallace cry wolf, but that he also has no talent whatsoever.

Back