2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
First: Absolutely dashed for Matty D. He really needed a good finish here and his already-uphill battle is going to get even taller. Here's to hoping for either a breakout performance at Richmond, or a stellar repeat of last year at Bristol. These next two races will make his career or possibly break it.

Second: Man, I think Jimmie killed it with throwbacks. I don't know if anyone will be able to top that for awhile. Doing something only he could do, and then paying attention to the details down to his race suit, but more importantly, the hat and the glasses. Above all, to pay tribute to two other guys in your last year is just an awesome and humble way to bow out of your last throwback race.

Everyone needs to realize that Chase Elliott is true garbage just like his old man was 30 years ago. NASCRAP threw a caution to give the entitled one one some hope, but as always he couldnt drive his way outta of a paper bag. Wrecked himself as well as the eventual winner in the 19

Everyone needs to realize that Chase Elliott is true garbage just like his old man was 30 years ago. NASCRAP threw a caution to give the entitled one one some hope, but as always he couldnt drive his way outta of a paper bag. Wrecked himself as well as the eventual winner in the 19
If you are so convinced it is rigged to promote a driver that has more driving talent and skill than you ever will in your life, why do you bother watching?

Auto Club Speedway to be converted into a half-mile track for 2022 season.

On one hand, I'm glad it's not going away completely like Riverside, Ontario and so many other venues in this region, and it should put on some entertaining NASCAR races.

On the other, NASCAR is all it will be able to host now, as it'll be too short for IndyCar to ever come back and no more roval means the track day crowd will have to schlep up to Willow Springs or Buttonwillow or out to Thermal or Chuckwalla. And who knows about the dragstrip, which is the only 1/4-mile south of Famoso that's open to amateurs and hobbyists *scowls at Pomona and La Verne NIMBYs*...

Last edited:
I honestly thought this was an April Fools joke several months late at first. Going to be curious to see what kind of racing the track produces after the change.

Thanks, I hate it. Just another case of NASCAR flexing its muscles and demanding track owners to adapt circuits to their cars at the expense of Indycar or, in extremely rare cases, IMSA.

Here is an overlay of the new tracked compared to the current 2 mile version.

uj17jw2dyyl51.png

I hate it. All this tells me is that the track as it is can't pull a crowd enough to sustain it, so chop it to bits and redevelop the land into something non-fans like so they can make money. And it'll work because we can't have anything decent, but then someone will complain to the city or county and get it shut down for noise pollution or something.

I would like more short tracks, as I'm sure many of us do. But why do this to one of the only two 2 mile ovals? If they're so intent on doing this, couldn't they at least do it to one of the umpteen 1.5 mile tri/quad ovals?

Yes, real estate values are the true driver here. That and the track as it is would’ve needed to be repaved, so they’d have had to put millions into the track either way.

NASCAR’s short tracks are concentrated in the southeast so it’s not surprising they want one (owned by themselves) at the opposite side of the country in arguably their biggest market (probably more potential race fans in LA than NYC).

Chicago will be next.

Chicago will be next.

I wouldn't be surprised. There's a bunch of stories and rumors about Chicagoland's future.

The track sold a bunch of land around the track for industrial development. A bunch of track personnel were laid off. Plus governor Jelly Belly wants to keep the state shut down. It's easy to see why the Chicago race was cancelled this year.

Covid hit them hard.

Staying away from the ovals and not even considering the Indy 500 until 2022. Interesting priorities, but I commend him for having a definite plan in mind, instead of "I'll just get in a car and see how it shakes out".

He's gone on record for saying that he's still trying to get his wife to agree to let him test an Indycar on an oval of any size, let alone race on one, even if it was the Indy 500.

He's gone on record for saying that he's still trying to get his wife to agree to let him test an Indycar on an oval of any size, let alone race on one, even if it was the Indy 500.

The performance of the Aeroscreen so far should make that an easier sell but, then again, it wouldn't have kept Wickens out of a wheelchair...

Fair enough. If anyone would have the ability to convince him to stay out of a racing situation, it would certainly be her I imagine.

That seems likely, but there’s always the chance he’s going to the 48
Can Cup teams still have 5 cars? I thought they were still capped at 4. If Johnson is going to race part time, I would guess he's going to be in the 4th car for Hendrick when he races.

Can Cup teams still have 5 cars? I thought they were still capped at 4. If Johnson is going to race part time, I would guess he's going to be in the 4th car for Hendrick when he races.

I believe they still can to give rookies seat time a few times a year. Like the Hendrick #25 Chase Elliott drove 5 times in 2015 in the Cup Series even though Hendrick was a 4 car organization (5, 24, 48, 88).

I believe they still can to give rookies seat time a few times a year. Like the Hendrick #25 Chase Elliott drove 5 times in 2015 in the Cup Series even though Hendrick was a 4 car organization (5, 24, 48, 88).

The 25 car for Elliott was prepared by Hendrick, but I think it was run by another team, maybe HScott at the time.

Back