2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
Stolen from reddit. Michael Jordan and Richard Petty before the 1982 World 600 at Charlotte.

h7wdbkb9xmo51.jpg

Late edit I made, in case anyone has seen The Last Dance.

h7wdbkb9xmo51.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer about Chicagoland, the racing there has been pretty good. 2021 this might have been the year I could take my nephew for his first live race there.

Unfortunately our governor Jelly Belly seems intent to keep Illinois locked down/restricted well into next year. (while he and his family escape to Florida on a regular basis)

I don't blame Nascar for not wanting to deal with that.

Word on the streets is tomorrow is the day we finally get the 2021 schedule. Chicagoland has already confirmed they will not be on it, Kentucky is rumored to be losing theirs.

https://www.jayski.com/2020/09/29/2021-cup-schedule-expected-wednesday/
There's going to be an announcement about Darlington tomorrow. It's possible they get one of the dates.

It would be so NASCAR if they just shuffled the tracks around and went back to two races at Darlington and Atlanta.

A bit of an update prior to the official release from what I found on Jayski:
1. The Brickyard 400 is out, replaced by the Indy Road Course (mid-August date).
2. Road America will be run on July 4th weekend.
3. Circuit of the Americas will be run the weekend prior to the Coke 600.
4. Atlanta 2nd date in July (because that makes sense to apparently everyone).
5. Darlington 2nd date in May.

Based on this:
IN: Road America, COTA, Indy RC, Bristol (dirt), 2nd Darlington, 2nd Atlanta, Daytona RC (for the Clash), Nashville.
OUT: Indianapolis, Kentucky, Chicagoland, 1st Texas Race (will host All-Star Race), 2nd Dover Race.
My math is off because I have 7 out and 6 in, so someone feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
I don't get the Bristol on dirt. If it's a non-points race then whatever. But I feel like it's a gimmick and I don't even like the Eldora race. It's unique and cool in it's own right, but the product is bad and the racing isn't good IMO. Those are pavement race cars.

I like that they gave up on the mid week races. I was hoping they would move the finale back to Homestead, or some track other than Phoenix.

I don't get the Bristol on dirt. If it's a non-points race then whatever. But I feel like it's a gimmick and I don't even like the Eldora race. It's unique and cool in it's own right, but the product is bad and the racing isn't good IMO. Those are pavement race cars.
It's most definitely a novelty thing to generate press hype and draw attention to the fact that things have been shaken up. I wouldn't be surprised if it just went back to being a normal race the year after.

It's most definitely a novelty thing to generate press hype and draw attention to the fact that things have been shaken up. I wouldn't be surprised if it just went back to being a normal race the year after.

Yeah, I don't see the Gen 7 car being adaptable to the dirt. A current cup car with a live axle is a much better candidate. A one time novelty race for sure.

Back in the day, even the Indy car national championship had a few rounds on dirt. They ran specialized dirt track chassis. It's almost a sacred core value at the heart of American racing, upholding an expression of deep roots as well as now embracing road courses and higher tech cars. It could be a great gift and bring in a badly needed wider audience.

Back in the day, even the Indy car national championship had a few rounds on dirt. They ran specialized dirt track chassis. It's almost a sacred core value at the heart of American racing, upholding an expression of deep roots as well as now embracing road courses and higher tech cars. It could be a great gift and bring in a badly needed wider audience.

I accept the gimmick and its purpose. Just don't think the racing will be good.

I’m not really thrilled about the Bristol dirt race. It’s nice to see NASCAR actually trying things that could end up positive though.

Now if we could just get rid of the chase and the cautions in between stages they would really be cooking with fire!

Yeah, I don't see the Gen 7 car being adaptable to the dirt. A current cup car with a live axle is a much better candidate. A one time novelty race for sure.
Wouldn't surprise me if they allowed them to put new bodies on a current chassis and use that as a one-off. Most people watching wouldn't notice or care, and it'd save the teams some money since it wouldn't matter that much if last year's car got torn up.

Just bought my campsite and tickets for Road America (granted I don't know my exact site at this moment since RA has gone to a preference system). Not sure if it will become an annual thing like IMSA and Indycar are, but I'm happy to finally check going to a Cup race off my list.

I'm ok with stage racing but I wish they would stop counting the laps under caution.

That would work as well since it's not like a regular caution where the length can vary.

Last edited:
I like the changes, mixes it up a bit, just like with the introduction of the roval. That race was an instant classic.

At least Nascar isn't afraid to try something different. We'll see how it works out.

I like the changes, mixes it up a bit, just like with the introduction of the roval. That race was an instant classic.

At least Nascar isn't afraid to try something different. We'll see how it works out.
The Atlanta race in July is probably not the best placement. It would logically make sense to have it near the tail end of the season.

I guess unless I plan to travel, I won't be seeing a race anytime soon with Kentucky and Chicagoland now gone. And to a lesser extent, one of the Michigan races. Indy is still around, but it won't be on the oval. Yes, I know that many people find these races boring, but it kinda sucks losing all those races at once in the Midwest. At least Road America got added.

And maybe I'm weird, but I've never found dirt racing that interesting.

Bring on the dirt I say! Unfortunately the new car was delayed or that would make it even better. Now they just need to get rid of the playoff system and the silly stages in the races and I might watch a race again.

Forgive my ignorance but how are they running a dirt race at Bristol? Is the track being repaved during that period or something? Or is there a seperate dirt track at the facility? Or are they just going to pile a load of clay on top of the regular surface and then scrape it off?

Back