2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
The 25 car for Elliott was prepared by Hendrick, but I think it was run by another team, maybe HScott at the time.

It was a Hendrick car.

Chase-Elliott-NAPA-AUTO-PARTS-25-Sprint-Cup-Showdown-2015.jpg

4 full time entries was the only rule I know of.

Does this mean Bubba sells his share of RPM or is that an investment he's gonna hold on to?

Can Cup teams still have 5 cars? I thought they were still capped at 4. If Johnson is going to race part time, I would guess he's going to be in the 4th car for Hendrick when he races.

It seems likely Jimmie will race for Ganassi in NASCAR next year, which is still Hendrick affiliated so it shouldn’t be too hard for them to acquire a full HMS car when he races

Sadly I feel the 2 most likely outcomes for the #43 are also the worst 2 possible outcomes.

1) Petty closes the team due to lack of funding and the number fades away.

2) Ty Dillon takes over as it seems his current ride is going away and Petty is a RCR affiliated team.

I'm not sure what one is worse.

Does this mean Bubba sells his share of RPM or is that an investment he's gonna hold on to?

Wasn't him owning a stake in the team contingent on him re-signing?

In other news, Mike Wallace has been indefinitely suspended by NASCAR for being a racist 🤬. If you want to see exactly why this happened you only need to look at his Facebook page, it's pretty bad.

https://racer.com/2020/09/10/mike-wallace-suspended-indefinitely-by-nascar/

Wasn't him owning a stake in the team contingent on him re-signing?
I was reading it as he already had 10%, and that this deal would increase that share. I've been wrong before though, so whatever it may be.

I can't see the 43 going away. If RPM shuts down, someone will make a deal with Richard for the publicity. Ty Dillon in the car wouldn't be the worst option, he's at least more tolerable than Austin, but there are Petty relatives in the wings so that's a possibility.

I was reading it as he already had 10%, and that this deal would increase that share. I've been wrong before though, so whatever it may be.

I can't see the 43 going away. If RPM shuts down, someone will make a deal with Richard for the publicity. Ty Dillon in the car wouldn't be the worst option, he's at least more tolerable than Austin, but there are Petty relatives in the wings so that's a possibility.
Thad Moffitt is probably 1 to 2 years away from next year (so 2022 or 2023) if he continues hit current progression.

Race was so good yesterday nobody even made a comment
I don't think the yellow flag was ever thrown except for the mandatory stage cautions.

Before the race, Brad predicted he would dominate the race. He actually did, and so passes into legend, like Babe Ruth's "called shot" home run.

The night race made the colors brilliant. So yeah, the race was overwhelmingly good. Richmond really delivered the goods yesterday.

What did Logano do?

I was with family last night and missed much of the race.

I think this is what is causing the fuss, although I personally don't see what exactly Joey did wrong. He maintained his line, which is about all a lapped car can do at Bristol since there isn't exactly room to pull aside with 2 grooves like there was last night.

Chastain will be in the #42 next year.

This makes the Wallace situation much more interesting since it seemed he was destined for that ride.

This makes the Wallace situation much more interesting since it seemed he was destined for that ride.
Rumour is he’ll be driving for Denny Hamlin in the “New Furniture Row.” But I’m not even sure if that deal has been put together so I’d be nervous if I were Bubba

From what I heard Matty D was headed to the 42 so that leaves him in a precarious spot since it doesn’t seem like he’ll be staying in the 21 with Cindric and Briscoe breathing down his neck. But the Menards hold all the power there so hopefully they still believe in Matt.

It seems we could be getting a Cup race at CoTA next year replacing one of Texas' dates. In exchange Texas would get the All-Star race.

https://www.jayski.com/2020/09/21/all-star-race-to-texas/

It will be interesting if we really do get 4 new tracks next year, granted that wouldn't be much of a stretch since we already know Nashville is confirmed plus now supposedly CoTA. Hopefully one of the other 2 is Road America (Gateway, Mid-Ohio or Road Atlanta are my other guesses).

It seems we could be getting a Cup race at CoTA next year replacing one of Texas' dates. In exchange Texas would get the All-Star race.

https://www.jayski.com/2020/09/21/all-star-race-to-texas/

It will be interesting if we really do get 4 new tracks next year, granted that wouldn't be much of a stretch since we already know Nashville is confirmed plus now supposedly CoTA. Hopefully one of the other 2 is Road America (Gateway, Mid-Ohio or Road Atlanta are my other guesses).
I can't see Road Atlanta getting a date unless they completely abandon Atlanta. While this isn't a popular opinion, running at the Daytona Road Course for a regular season race would make sense (even if tripling up at Daytona). Road America would be the best option.

I can't see Road Atlanta getting a date unless they completely abandon Atlanta.

Honestly the only reason I saw it as a real possibility is because it would be a cheap way to add a road course to the schedule since they own it. Although admittedly I totally forgot Michelin has naming rights now, which would cause some issues.

running at the Daytona Road Course for a regular season race would make sense (even if tripling up at Daytona)

Assuming it's once again on a date that isn't the July 4th weekend I wouldn't be surprised if the second Daytona race is on the road course.

Road America would be the best option.

I'm really hoping they do, and while it would probably a massive mistake overall I hope they do it the week after IMSA like they did this year with Xfinity so I can just get an airbnb for a few days inbetween weekends. It would be expensive but preferable to adding 11 hours of driving.

Well...they weren't BUYING a team, so no lies told there. I'm wondering if this is old JGR equipment, mothballed FRM, or is this gonna be like the MBV and Evernham-Valvoline thing where they're still at JGR just quasi-managed separately.

Well...they weren't BUYING a team, so no lies told there. I'm wondering if this is old JGR equipment, mothballed FRM, or is this gonna be like the MBV and Evernham-Valvoline thing where they're still at JGR just quasi-managed separately.

It should be the current Leavine equipment, at least at first. It’ll be a satellite JGR team and the 5th Toyota factory team like the 95 has been. But probably more like the 78 in terms of budget.

I just wouldn’t have too high of expectations for next season since it’s a lame duck year for the Gen6 car.

Toyota still really needs another team seperate from JGR, though.

Last edited:
The merchandising alone is going to run absolute circles around any other NASCAR team, or really any American motorsport team, and it isn't even close in terms of not being cringe and stuff that I'd actually wear out and about anywhere that wasn't in a NASCAR context.

You know that the first Bubba designed pair of AJ's are going to be sold out by the hypebeasts even faster then most other shoe drops in recent years. That in of itself is a massive win.

Moreover, you are more or less guaranteed a consistent and almost limitless well of funding from Jordan, even if you don't have any sponsors. I know for a fact that after the failure with his AMA Superbikes team, Jordan isn't going to leave anything to chance with a second go in motorsports.

I know this is one of the worst-kept secrets in recent NASCAR history, but I am pretty happy to see this officially confirmed.

With all that seems to be involved, the unknown variable will be Bubba. I'm hoping that this will give him the tools needed to fight for better finishes and potentially even wins.

As for the COTA race, I'm a bit on the fence about it. I'll always be cool with NASCAR visiting new tracks, but I'm not sure of COTA will produce good racing for stock cars. Admittedly, that's mostly a gut feeling.

\

As for the COTA race, I'm a bit on the fence about it. I'll always be cool with NASCAR visiting new tracks, but I'm not sure of COTA will produce good racing for stock cars. Admittedly, that's mostly a gut feeling.

I wonder if they'll run the short circuit the V8's ran a few years ago, or the full circuit? I fear the never ending esses could spread out the field.

Back