2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
So they may get this thing in after all. Half way is the goal, of course, but they should run as much as possible past half way and get as much in as they can.

Austin Cindric has given a pretty good explanation of why rain tires just won't work on ovals.

Yes, but we’ve seen this weekend in Texas a lot of mist and drizzle. I think that a wet tire would work. Heavy rain like Charlotte (or even Daytona’s Xfinity race earlier in the year) would be an issue. I’m suggesting you relax the rules. Austin Cindric is talking about an extreme.

But! But, I will answer beyond what Austin said that ultimately fails my, and many others good idea; tire tech. It’s there. Especially given how heavy modern cars are getting, plus the fact F1, IndyCar, etc. have been running wet weather tires for, like, ever, we are there already. I don’t think that is the tire issue. The issue would be in justifying bringing an entire extra truck hauling wet tires, just waiting for the opportunity to be used. Is that huge extra cost worth not pushing a race back due to light wet weather?

I still feel it could be something to test. I know Terry Labonte tested the concept in the mid 90s @ Martinsville, but tire tech has exlploded since. We will see. I think it’s viable, but like other parts of racing, cost will judge it’s eventual use rather than anything else (except the silly hybrid in F1, but off tangent).

Last edited:
We all had a feeling that was happening, didn't we. And with the 5 now the 'also ran' number for the team, no Jr fans will be upset he's being put in his old car.

We all had a feeling that was happening, didn't we. And with the 5 now the 'also ran' number for the team, no Jr fans will be upset he's being put in his old car.
As I mentioned to @Dennisch, the #5 has significant importance to Hendrick as it was the team's first number with Geoff Bodine and has 34 victories spread between 6 drivers (Kahne, Martin, Busch, T. Labonte, Rudd and Bodine).

The 88 has 11 victories with Jr. and Bowman. Jr's more memorable number should be 8, as he was most successful there. Dale Jarrett (30) and Darrell Waltrip (26) have more victories in the 88 than Jr did.

As I mentioned to @Dennisch, the #5 has significant importance to Hendrick as it was the team's first number with Geoff Bodine and has 34 victories spread between 6 drivers (Kahne, Martin, Busch, T. Labonte, Rudd and Bodine).

The 88 has 11 victories with Jr. and Bowman. Jr's more memorable number should be 8, as he was most successful there. Dale Jarrett (30) and Darrell Waltrip (26) have more victories in the 88 than Jr did.
In the modern day, however, the 4th car at Hendrick is just that. Be it the 5, 25, or 88, the other 3 are a brighter light at almost any given time. Will that stay the case? I don't know, i do know the history the team has with the 5, but the 4th team is the one the question marks get hung on...like I was doing to the 88 a while back.

And you know that regardless of the number, Jr fans act like anything he drove or was associated with is holy. If North Wilkesboro is revived, they'll preach he alone was the savior.

In the modern day, however, the 4th car at Hendrick is just that. Be it the 5, 25, or 88, the other 3 are a brighter light at almost any given time. Will that stay the case? I don't know, i do know the history the team has with the 5, but the 4th team is the one the question marks get hung on...like I was doing to the 88 a while back.

And you know that regardless of the number, Jr fans act like anything he drove or was associated with is holy. If North Wilkesboro is revived, they'll preach he alone was the savior.

Byron’s 24 has definitely been the 4th car at Hendrick since he joined the team (which formed from the ashes of Kahne’s #5). Especially since he’s the “pay driver”there. Bowman has shown he’s the more solid playoff driver even though that car is basically run out of pocket for a big chunk of the season. The old flagship #24 team became the #9, which still definitely receives priority

Last edited:
Seems they are not trying to hit the halfway point (or whatever lap makes it official), and going the full distance.

Larson is just a less talented Kasey Kahne. A big signing by Hendrick, but not much different than the guys who’ve previously been number 3-4 with the team.

Happy to see Kyle notch a win before the season is over.

I've never been so nervous in my entire life. KFB!

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Shame that with the rain, the racing also dried up.
I thought it was alright. Not as bad as Kansas. But once the PJ1 came in it was single file thru the middle. The fuel mileage situation at the end made it entertaining. Not the best race at Texas but not the worst.

Back