2020 NTT IndyCar Series SeasonOpen Wheel 

No braking issues this time, guess it was just a lack of experience, also Wickens got Pole.

Oliver Askew took out the leaders while a lap down, man that was bad.

Last edited:
No braking issues this time, guess it was just a lack of experience, also Wickens got Pole.
It could be that, or something to do with brakes or tyres could have been tweaked by iRacing. I know the tyre parameters were changed by iRacing at the request of Supercars (after complaints by drivers) for their series so it also could be a possiblity.

I miss Motegi.
Unfortunately, there's no real way it would ever come back given the amount of money it would need to repair it. Forget where I read it, but there is a distinct possibility it would need to be torn down (either partially or completely) to be rebuilt.

At least we do still get to experience it in video games.

So they spend this entire "season" talking about the driver selecting their dream track. They pepper the commentary with examples of famous world tracks that they think the various drivers (especially the various "guest" drivers) would like to do based on where they grew up and their racing history. They race at several famous tracks already that are not on the Indy schedule. And then at the very end of the last race they pull "it was going to be an Indy Car driver dream track; and you know what, all drivers dream of winning at Indy so we'll just do it there instead."

They can shove it.

The Indycar series as a whole had been pretty good, but that last bit of the race was not a good look. Especially Ferucci just flat out wrecking Askew to deny him the win.

The Indycar series as a whole had been pretty good, but that last bit of the race was not a good look. Especially Ferucci just flat out wrecking Askew to deny him the win.

No no no... he "was just trying to get a little closer to him!" :rolleyes:

What was that even going to accomplish with them not being the only two around? Even if he didn't crash from it he'd have given the race to the car following them anyway.

Yeah that ending... Was not a good look for sim racing. It does reveal the one great flaw that inevitably comes up with sim racing in that the lack of stakes involved will inevitably push drivers to take greater risks until it ends with everyone wrecking on the last lap as they fight for the win.

I think the one thing this sim racing period has shown is that no game has a good enough damage model (the collision physics in iracing look especially bad too), in the real world Rahal and Pagenaud would've been done for the day after Norris caused the crash with no opportunity to go back out for revenge.

I've seen people comparing last night to the Larson incident. Larson said an actual word with real world consequences, Pagenaud, O'Ward and Ferrucci bumped pretend cars into each other, let's put things in perspective. There are enough actual reasons to not like Ferrucci (the alleged bullying/racism, the unpaid F2 bills, the cooldown lap crashes, etc).

You have to look at these races for what they are, entertainment not sport.

I would argue you also have to respect what every individual is doing to set up these races and events for fans to entertain during bad times
Loads of them put time and effort and money into it all its just disrespectful and shows poor sportsmanship

Like Simon, ferucci or O'ward would have all been kicking up fuss if the rolls were reversed

Thing is iracing is serious I'm not bothered if the crash physics are funny the net code is obviously the biggest struggle that gets in the way of close racing at times

If they want to have a bit of fun with a game and take each other out, do it not in an event like that like I'm sure they have done fun practice races together much more light hearted nothing on the line
Or play wreckfest and have a fun race why not

The incidents themselves,
The first Norris pass on Rahal and Simon
Norris was fully alongside so there's no problem there there's a good metre or more between His car and rahals and then rahals goes straight into Simon
No contact on screen but clearly net code played apart

The first bad point for Simon is his reaction to that is pretty childish tbh, like he's got no idea what just happened and I think his spotter didn't really see a problem with it but has to fend for Simon

Confessing on stream to take out the leader of a serious race broadcasted far and wide is pretty dumb and even if he didn't say that his acting was poor and that in itself was bad enough haha
It was a poor decision

Also if they have any sense you can rewind iracing right? So his spotter or Simon could have checked the reply to see what actually happened before making a poor judgement

O'ward taking out Ericsson was a silly misjudgement or just a stubborn driver annoyed he was gonna loose
He barely had an inch of his nose alongside Markus nothing worthy that you would give space for

Finally ferucci is a tool, all the lying afterwards makes it so much more annoying to listen to them. It just makes them all look more silly and it's not fair on sun racing and on indy car cos they have made some great events and provided entertainment and the pro drivers are making them all look silly

I hope there are some consequences for the drivers making a mockery of their own teams and colleagues and sponsors

Ferrucci only proved he has learned nothing from F2. He's still the same spoiled dolt he has always been. Pagenaud isn't winning any love from me either. As someone who pretty much only watches the Indy 500 and one or two off-hand races a year, this sends off quite the message about how the drivers are.

Gutted for Askew and Lando.

All I got to say is... as an avid and long time fan of Indy car racing, I can't wait to see the action from Texas Motor Speedway this weekend. The IndyCar Series starts proper for 2020 this weekend after the first set of races were affected by the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic, and I can't wait. I have only three words to express my feelings regarding the race at Texas: bring it on!

The aero screen can look pretty bad in photographs head on, but for some reason in motion/video, it's actually pretty good looking all around in my opinion... Or maybe the iRacing challenge just made me numb to it the same way I'm numb to the halo now.

The aero screen can look pretty bad in photographs head on, but for some reason in motion/video, it's actually pretty good looking all around in my opinion... Or maybe the iRacing challenge just made me numb to it the same way I'm numb to the halo now.
I wonder whether the screen contributed to Sato's getting lost and crashing in qualifying?

The race should be fun. Three rookies plus 3(?) others with no oval experience on one of the fiercest ovals in the sport.

Back