2020 NTT IndyCar Series SeasonOpen Wheel 

United Kingdom
Southampton
RacingAtHome
IndyCar's back sometime soon. There's been some testing recently of the new Halo/Aeroscreen Hybrid device to be used in all races next season.

#4 Charlie Kimball
#14 Tony Kanaan (Ovals)
#14 Sebastien Bourdais
#14 Dalton Kellett
#TBA Dalton Kellett (Indy 500)

#26 Zach Veach
#27 Alexander Rossi
#28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
#29 James Hinchcliffe (Indy Double and Texas)
#88 Colton Herta Andretti Harding Steinbrenner Autosport
Marco Andretti

#31 TBA
#59 Max Chilton (Road/Street plus Indy)
#59 TBA (Ovals Except Indy)

#8 Marcus Ericsson
#9 Scott Dixon
#10 Felix Rosenqvist

#18 Santino Ferrucci - Dale Coyne Racing with Vasser-Sullivan?
Alex Palou [R] - Dale Coyne Racing with Team Goh

#81 Ben Hanley (Indy 500)

#24 Sage Karam (GMR GP and Indy 500)

#20 Ed Carpenter (Ovals)
#20 Conor Daly (Road Courses)
#21 Rinus Veekay [R]
#TBA Conor Daly (Indy 500)

#15 Graham Rahal
#30 Takuma Sato
#45 Spencer Pigot (Indy Double) - RLLR with Citrone/Buhl Autosport

#5 Oliver Askew [R]
#7 Patricio O'Ward
#66 Fernando Alonso (Indy 500)

#60 Jack Harvey

#1 Josef Newgarden
#2 Scott McLaughlin [R] (Indy Road)
#3 Helio Castroneves (Indy 500)
#12 Will Power
#22 Simon Pagenaud

Pippa Mann - Money dependent on returning to the Indy 500.
JR Hildebrand - Expected to do Indy with DRR.
James Davison - Expected to do Indy with Byrd/Hollinger/Belardi.
Juncos Racing - Difficult and quiet 2019 but qualified for Indy. Nothing announced but expected to return.
Clauson-Marshall Racing - Expected to be Indy 500 Only. Partnered with Foyt last season and probably successful.
Byrd/Hollinger/Belardi - Ran Indy 500 only for the last few years with James Davison. Expected to return. Maybe returning with Coyne again?

Schedule
Key

(R) - Road Course
(S) - Street Circuit
(O) - Oval

Race 1 - Genesys 300 (Texas Motor Speedway) (O) - June 6th 2020
Race 2
- GMR Grand Prix (Indianapolis Road Course) (R) - July 4th 2020
Race 3
- REV Group Grand Prix Race 1 (Road America) (R) - July 11th 2020
Race 4
- REV Group Grand Prix Race 2 (Road America) (R) - July 12th 2020
Race 5
- Iowa IndyCar 250s Race 1 (Iowa Speedway) (O) - July 17th 2020
Race 6
- Iowa IndyCar 250s Race 2 (Iowa Speedway) (O) - July 18th 2020
Race 7
- 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500 (Indianapolis Oval) (O) - August 23rd 2020
Race 8
- Bommarito Automotive Group 500 presented by Axalta and Valvoline Race 1 (Gateway Motorsports Park) (O) - August 29th 2020
Race 9
- Bommarito Automotive Group 500 presented by Axalta and Valvoline Race 2 (Gateway Motorsports Park) (O) - August 30th 2020
Race 10
- Honda Indy 200 Race 1 (Mid Ohio) (R) - September 12th 2020
Race 11
- Honda Indy 200 Race 1(Mid Ohio) (R) - September 13th 2020
Race 12
- IndyCar Harvest Grand Prix Race 1 (Indianapolis Road Course) (R) - October 2nd 2020
Race 13
- IndyCar Harvest Grand Prix Race 2 (Indianapolis Road Course) (R) - October 3rd 2020
Race 14
- Firestone GP of St Petersburg (Streets of St Petersburg) (R) - October 25th 2020

2019 Champion:
Josef Newgarden - Second Championship
2019 Manufacturer Champion: Honda
2019 Rookie of the Year: Felix Rosenqvist
2019 Indy 500 Winner: Simon Pagenaud
2019 Oval Champion: Simon Pagenaud
2019 Road and Street Champion: Scott Dixon

Be sure to check out the IndyCar Website, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook pages for more information. This will be updated throughout and before the season with important information regarding entries, races and fantasy.

Last edited:
It’s kinda crazy that after having several years of F1 experience, Ericsson was the least successful rookie this year. Good to see Ganassi expanding to 3 cars though.

Who are the McLaren drivers going to be?

So has Hinch been confirmed? Because I’ve heard both yes and no from equally credible sources...

So has Hinch been confirmed? Because I’ve heard both yes and no from equally credible sources...
Yeah. I've heard similar things. Wiki says yes. And it's easier to just leave him in since it's copied from the 2019 thread.

I'm looking forward to what will hopefully be a great year. There should be a 3 team battle upfront plus it will be interesting to see how McLaren manages things.

On a side-note, I'm planning on going to both Road America and Iowa again, hopefully the latter won't be a repeat of last year.

From Racer.com
Taken at the Tire test at Richmond.
IMG_4469.JPG

The paint/wrap at the top improves it quite a bit as it makes it blend in a little.

Also, I just renewed my Road America campsite and it makes the already long off-season seem even longer. :(

Guess that confirms the rumours of Hinch leaving. Hopefully the rumours of Honda buying his contract out so he could stay with them are also true as I would hate to see him sidelined.

I don't think so as Ericsson brings money and Ganassi has stated they are looking at a 4th car.
If Hinch's contract/sponsors aren't enough for a 3rd RLL car, I doubt it'll be enough for Ganassi, even if there's more wealth to spread around there.

I cannot understate just how much of a **** deal Canada has gotten from Indycar over the past year. Wickens' crash, the absolute trash TV 'deal' with Sportsnet relegating it to an obscure streaming service that you have to pay up the nose to get (While Xfinity and MENCS races are more or less on TSN1 or 2 most weekends, live, a series with no links to Canada and running on past glories) and now Hinch getting dumped by SPAM.

Really, I can't be arsed to bother with Indycar anymore. Especially in contrast to how hopeful things were not even two years ago.

Just read that. One of the teams competing in the championship has purchased the actual championship as well as the flagship race track.

Is this not a gross conflict of interest?

Just read that. One of the teams competing in the championship has purchased the actual championship as well as the flagship race track.

I mean, it is almost one hundred percent certain Roger will step down from all positions within the racing arm to compensate.

At the same time Penske's love for the Brickyard shows no bounds - I can't think of better stewards for Indy then the Penske family.

My head is spinning right now. Would love to know how this happened.

This article explains Penske is seeking all necessary approvals.

https://racer.com/2019/11/04/breaking-hulman-and-co-sells-ims-indycar-to-penske/
Hulman and Co has sold the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the IndyCar Series, IMS Productions and associated subsidiaries to Penske Entertainment Corp.; a subsidiary of Penske Corp.

The sale is expected to be finalized in January following receipt of applicable government approvals and other standard conditions.

This. So much this. I like Penske and all, but how on Earth is this possible? Seems like a ridiculous conflict of interest to me...

If you weren't sure if Roger has (or had) 🤬 you levels of money, well, here's your proof.

I'd imagine he'd step-down from all his Indycar-related race team positions as a sign of good faith, at minimum.

This. So much this. I like Penske and all, but how on Earth is this possible? Seems like a ridiculous conflict of interest to me...

https://autoweek.com/article/indyca...uying-indycar-and-indianapolis-motor-speedway

IS THIS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST?

Penske is aware that the optics of an active team owner operating the series and race in which he competes are questionable.

The 82-year-old announced that he would stand down as the race day strategist of his on-track IndyCar teams to focus on the day-to-day operations of the track and series. He has previous experience navigating similar waters as a member of the Championship Auto Racing Teams sanctioning body in the '80s and '90s.

He purchased Michigan International Speedway in 1973 and later owned Auto Club Speedway in California. He is also the promoter of the Detroit Grand Prix doubleheader IndyCar weekend. He also cited Tony George’s previous ownership of an IndyCar team—that would be Vision Racing—in the '90s and 2000s.

He believes he has a track record of integrity.

"I don't want to leave this conversation without knowing that I understand the integrity, and there's got to be a tight line, and to me I know what my job is. And hopefully I've got enough credibility with everyone that we can be sure that there is not a conflict," Penske said. "I'll do my very best to be sure that there isn't.

"If you (in the media) think it is, I hope that ... no, I know that you folks will tell me pretty quickly. So, I've got a lot of guys watching me."

It will be interesting to see how things progress. IndyCar has had conflicts of interest in the past with Tony George owning Vision Racing and later having part ownership of Ed Carpenter racing. Neither of those were exactly championship caliber operations though.

On the bright side though, Penske always seems to be a magnet for sponsors, so hopefully that will translate to the series as a whole.

It only took 15 years, but at least now we know who "won" the IndyCar War.

He seems to have success whatever he does, almost wherever he goes. Who knows, maybe he can have a new TV deal done that doesn't exclude Canada by the end of the winter. Also, it's not an 'investment firm' that'll strip everything bare and sell the parts. I'm weary, but I'll give benefit of the doubt for now.

Now if only I can be bothered to get up for races again.

Back