2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 and Spyder Say No to Turbos

For sale: one kidney. Mild wear, lots of life left in it.

The original Cayman GT4 is one of my favourite road cars of any era. This improves on it in just about every way (though I still think I prefer the rear light/spoiler treatment on the 981.1). It's all I want in a car, in a way that's probably more useable on a daily basis than most other all-timers on my list.

Interesting that Porsche is using an enlarged and non-turbo version of the Carrera's 3.0L instead of turning the wick down on the GT3 engine. I was under the impression that they're all based on the same basic architecture, but perhaps someone more well-versed can explain. I'll just be busy drooling.

It's called the Boxter Spyder.

Technically it isn't: it's the 718 Spyder. I left the second 718 out of the headline because it just gets ungainly, like saying I've ordered us a McDonalds McChicken combo and a McDonald's Big Mac combo. :P

Porsche crowd seems to like the Spyder, mixed reactions on the GT4. Some owners not happy with certain details or the performance for the $16K increase in price.

Blasphemy but I still don't like the Cayman as I like a modern 911 (991/991.2/992). Even if I was in the market to buy a Porsche, I'd get a 991.2 GTS or a 992 S over the Cayman GT4. The 718 Spyder looks better than the GT4.

The GT4 has a proper manual. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Na engines sounds better anyway just look at Porsche 911 gt3 rs versus gt2 rs. The gt3 rs is Much better sounding.

Not in Europe anymore, new WLTP regulations have imposed restrictions on how loud cars can be out the factory. Even some cars with turbocharged engines (like the new Supra) have been muted, so high-revving naturally aspirated engines face a bigger penalty.

As for the GT4 & Spyder, it's like Porsche let Alpine have the limelight for a few weeks then they remind us who's the king of track-focused sports cars - both are extremely desirable! :drool:

Not in Europe anymore, new WLTP regulations have imposed restrictions on how loud cars can be out the factory. Even some cars with turbocharged engines (like the new Supra) have been muted, so high-revving naturally aspirated engines face a bigger penalty.

As for the GT4 & Spyder, it's like Porsche let Alpine have the limelight for a few weeks then they remind us who's the king of track-focused sports cars - both are extremely desirable! :drool:
Well i drove a Porsche 911 gt3 and thst thing was loud when you put the gas down. It was just may this year. So that still not that long ago

I always liked the Boxster and I've wanted one since their introduction back in the mid 90s. I flirted with the idea several times over the years but it would have taken a major hit on the budget and required too many other practical sacrifices. When the 718s arrived, I was a bit disappointed with the direction Porsche (and most other manufacturers) were going with small displacement FI engines. The flat-6 was always synonymous with the Boxster/Cayman in the same way the inline-6 was with the BMW 3 series. (The winds of change are really upon us).

I really thought I had missed the boat and regretting not buying one when I had the chance. It pushed me to bite the bullet and I bought a 2016, 981 Cayman S less than 2 years ago. And I'm SO glad I did. The car is just phenomenal.

When I had the Cayman at the dealer last fall for an oil change and radio software update, I asked about the 718 GT4. The (981) GT4 is the car I really wanted but it was too far out of the price range and they were all already spoken for by the time I was getting serious. Nothing was firm last October but it was widely suspected that the 718 GT4 would come out sometime in late 2019 or early 2020 and with a return to the flat-6 engine. And the dealer was taking deposits already back then, although I guess it was all unofficial. I spoke to the salesman for a while before he would even confirm that such a list even existed. And I was dismayed but not surprised that they wanted a $20K deposit and they seemed reluctant to really discuss it further since I'm not one of their marquis customers. In a fit of pure madness, I asked him, if I were to put down a deposit today, how long it would be before my number came up. He seemed reluctant to talk specifics but he told me, already back then, that it would probably be 2 years or more before I got my hands on one.

In reality, I'm glad I overcame the [destructive] urge. I was estimating the price point at around $90K and was doing the mental arithmetic at how much I could get for my car and if it was feasible. But we're already $10K over that number and by the time it's out the door, you can probably add another $20K on top of that in options, prep, taxes, etc. I'm glad Porsche is returning to the Flat-6. But I'm a bit dismayed at how far up-market they're climbing. I realize it's a GT car, but paying over $100K for a Cayman seems like madness. Still, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people lining up to order one.

EDIT: In 1988 a well option 911 was around $40K. At the rate of inflation, that would be around $85K in 2019 dollars. Now, you can barely buy a Cayman or Boxster for that and a 911 with a bucket load of options is pushing $130K.

Edit 2: I noticed the car has also gained about 100-lbs over the 981 GT4

Last edited:
Bang for the buck, the Nissan GT-R has always been my favorite “supercar” in the $100K-$110K range, but this new Porsche 718 GT4 is an eye-popper and certainly a “value” over just about everything else in that price range (NOI the GT-R or the 911’s).

Well done Stuttgart.

Na engines sounds better anyway just look at Porsche 911 gt3 rs versus gt2 rs. The gt3 rs is Much better sounding.

Yeah but the added turbos to the GT2 RS helps itch the suicidal tendencies of some. :P

Personally I prefer turbo cars, but I can see why others like NA.

100k for a Cayman, not a 911 seems a lot. Entices me to the older generations for sure, no matter the performance of the latest gen. It's not just about numbers. I suspect a 987 Cayman sounds better than a 981 or 718.

I'm a sucker for Miami Blue.

iris

Apparently I added $20k in options, despite not even touching the ceramic discs... :eek:

iris

iris

iris

iris

I guess it's the seats and Miami Blue. Figured the interior needed to be less gloomy, so brought the blue in. White dials because Porsche (but not the Chrono, since that'd be a little distracting at night given its placement). I know CF is overplayed, but the idea of CF floor mats is oddly really appealing. Also the Alcantara centre armrest with the Porsche crest reminds me of one of my favourite interiors (AMG GT), so was an easy decision.

Back