2020 Porsche Taycan Revealed: Up to 750hp for Stuttgart's Tesla Rival

The people over at Linus Tech Tips made a review of the Taycan from the perspective of a tech enthusiast. It's interesting to see how many issues there are with the infotainment system

New Taycan GTS and Sport Turismo join the range
ta22q2aix0001_high.jpg
w21_8519.jpg
w21_1365.jpg

I got to take a base spec Taycan out for a spin at the Seattle International Auto Show last weekend. The Cross Turismo would absolutely be my ideal daily driver, not sure if I’m on the right trajectory to spec it to the Turbo S package, but I can dream.

0FDB8D2B-2D7D-4D93-8F5A-8F769E5F6914.jpeg

6D21697D-25FF-4762-97DB-30EAB0B1BDE7.jpeg

E1516C05-2A8A-4F26-B120-34406BCF6D39.jpeg

BA4B68D3-1EB7-498C-B02F-8A982815A4F5.jpeg

I’ve previously tried out my friend’s base Model 3, this has no single foot braking like the Tesla offered. Under light pressure the resistance builds slowly for maximum regen, it’s an odd sensation at first but you get used to it. The Porsche guy told me it has around 90% recovery in city conditions. There’s a setting that makes it sound like a Tron bike too. 🤣 The one thing that was throwing me off was the wipers, which were inverted. Pressing down on the control would do a single wipe, the speed settings increased in the upper positions, every car I’d driven prior is the other way around.

JF Musial, Dai Yoshihara, and their friends took a Taycan Cross Turismo from a mine in Michigan to the top of Pikes Peak, an elevation change of 3 miles, in 36 hours.

1641936284000.png

1641936295527.png

1641936311784.png

1641936176015.png

1641936212255.png

1641936232889.png

Last edited:
Finally, I found some real numbers:

taycan-cross-turismo-ground-clearance-heights-with-without-offroad-design-package-png.16454

Max GC for taycan cross turismo is 179mm.

Holy crap that's almost as much as my FX35.

Maybe it's just because I saw a Cross Turismo in person first, but I find the Sport Turismo looks too plain.

Holy crap that's almost as much as my FX35.
Which is less than a bog-standard Rav4. That's not a lot, that's just any-car-that-isn't-Porsche levels a ground clearance. It's half an inch more than a Ford Fusion, for example. Less than half an inch more than a Tesla Model Y.

Which is less than a bog-standard Rav4. That's not a lot, that's just any-car-that-isn't-Porsche levels a ground clearance. It's half an inch more than a Ford Fusion, for example. Less than half an inch more than a Tesla Model Y.
I think you missed my point. It's not an SUV, but it's capable of clearing snow almost as well as my SUV.

I think you missed my point. It's not an SUV, but it's capable of clearing snow almost as well as my SUV.
Especially with snow tires...but then again, I wouldn't trust those wide, low profile tires in deep snow. I've run into too many invisible obstacles to slap snow tires on anything thinner than a 50% sidewall. As for clearing snow, I assume you're going on ski trips and whatnot? I just flew through Denver a few days ago, it was damn near 50 degrees and beautiful. Y'all don't get nearly as much snow as I thought.

Last edited:
Especially with snow tires...but then again, I wouldn't trust those wide, low profile tires in deep snow. I've run into too many invisible obstacles to slap snow tires on anything thinner than a 50% sidewall. As for clearing snow, I assume you're going on ski trips and whatnot? I just flew through Denver a few days ago, it was damn near 50 degrees and beautiful. Y'all don't get nearly as much snow as I thought.
This winter has been extremely mild in terms of snow (as I think has been the case a lot of places). But we did have ice like crazy just a week ago, so I had to put the snows on.

Taycan takes back Nurburgring production EV lap record from the Tesla Plaid with a 7:33

Last edited:

Taycan GT of some sort

1666194898972.png

1666194910180.png

1666194917526.png

This Taycan has a splitter underneath the opening in the nose. Black tape conceals wider elements on each outer edge. It looks like there might be a canard beneath the headlights. A big sensor is on the roof above the windshield.

From the side, you can see this vehicle has a prominent roll cage and racing seat in the cabin. Porsche often installs these safety components on vehicles during testing but removes them for the production version.

This Taycan rides on a set of wheels with a complex design that has five spokes with cutouts in them. There's a mix of a dark and machined finish. The big, yellow calipers indicate this car has carbon-ceramic brakes

At the back, Porsche adds a fixed wing to the tail, and there's a small decklid spoiler. The parts give this Taycan a more aggressive appearance. Below the bumper, there are vanes for the diffuser on each side.

Taycan facelift includes major upgrades under the skin
porsche_taycan_and_sport_turismo.jpg

• Lighter rear motor
  • Upgraded inverter
  • New software
  • Better thermal management
  • New heat pump
  • More energy recuperation from regenerative braking
  • 105kWh battery as opposed to 93kWh
  • RWD Taycan up to 430hp
  • Taycan 4S now at 590hp
  • Turbo up to 872hp
  • Turbo S makes 940hp
  • Push to pass function adds an extra 94hp for 10 seconds
  • Now supports 320kW charging, meaning 10-80% charge drops to 18 minutes
  • RWD Taycan now makes a claimed 421 miles on a charge

Last edited:
Nice to see the range increase and the Sport Turismo model carrying on. Seems like a very decent upgrade.

Shame they couldn't have done something better with the headlights whilst they were at it.

Taycan facelift includes major upgrades under the skin
porsche_taycan_and_sport_turismo.jpg

• Lighter rear motor
  • Upgraded inverter
  • New software
  • Better thermal management
  • New heat pump
  • More energy recuperation from regenerative braking
  • 105kWh battery as opposed to 93kWh
  • RWD Taycan up to 430hp
  • Taycan 4S now at 590hp
  • Turbo up to 872hp
  • Turbo S makes 940hp
  • Push to pass function adds an extra 94hp for 10 seconds
  • Now supports 320kW charging, meaning 10-80% charge drops to 18 minutes
  • RWD Taycan now makes a claimed 421 miles on a charge
Literally only care about two of these things. It's an EV, not a sports car.

421 miles, fantastic!

18 minutes for a useable charge would be great if Electrify America stations actually delivered advertised wattage more than half the time.

None of the rest matters. This is still a dumb car at its core.

Literally only care about two of these things. It's an EV, not a sports car.

421 miles, fantastic!

18 minutes for a useable charge would be great if Electrify America stations actually delivered advertised wattage more than half the time.

None of the rest matters. This is still a dumb car at its core.
I agree that it's kind of a dumb car. Unfortunately, the new Boxster/Cayman will be even more dumb. Actually, all electric cars are kind of dumb, at the moment. The only electric car worth buying is the Prius PHEV.

I agree that it's kind of a dumb car. Unfortunately, the new Boxster/Cayman will be even more dumb. Actually, all electric cars are kind of dumb, at the moment. The only electric car worth buying is the Prius PHEV.
I don't think I'll be buying any of them until I see how all the brand image death turns out. When Hyundai can produce a family wagon EV that performs neary as well as a two-seat Porsche you know there's going to be a crisis in the industry.

Back