2020 Porsche Taycan Revealed: Up to 750hp for Stuttgart's Tesla Rival

I've now seen a couple on the road too. They look a lot sleeker than i imagined they would. More like a 4-door 911 than a slightly scaled down Panamera. Those headlights don't look nearly as bad in the flesh either.

I've now seen a couple on the road too. They look a lot sleeker than i imagined they would. More like a 4-door 911 than a slightly scaled down Panamera. Those headlights don't look nearly as bad in the flesh either.

I agree, they are a lot more svelte than I was expecting - its a lot more seductive than the Panamera for sure.

The Porsche dealer is just off from my commute to work, so I've seen a few myself. The most recent was a lovely dark ivy green. It's quite an arresting shape, certainly more appealing than the admittedly generations old Model S.

Taycan 4S beats the EV Cannonball Record with a time of 44 hours, 25 minutes, and 59 seconds. The record was previously held by a Model 3 Long Range at 45 hours, 16 minutes in 2019.

20200107-Porsche-Taycan-Canonball-2.jpg

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38578...esla-for-the-fastest-ev-cannonball-run-record

The article explains how they did it with issues that they had experienced. The Porsche they used was a press car. Because Porsche uses standard chargers and not Tesla' proprietary Supercharger, they had to use the standard Electrify America chargers.

"Our engineers were able to monitor the charging sessions in real-time to ensure our 150 and 350-kilowatt chargers were performing optimally for the Porsche Taycan 4S on this record run," Electrify America said in a statement to The Drive. "We plan to connect with the record-run drive team and hear their detailed feedback so that we can continue to improve our charging services for the general public.”

They averaged a speed of 64 mph and topped at around 160 mph.

message-editor%2F1609972823724-img_5480.jpeg

message-editor%2F1609976694267-0u8a0925-2.jpg

I'm waiting for official information about the new Audi e-tron GT coupe. This Audi is basically a Taycan.

Using a Porsche press car & admitting to topping speeds of 160mph sounds wildly bold. I can't imagine Porsche's lawyers are thrilled to read about it.

It's disappointing (but unsurprising) the base model isn't coming to Canada. A sub-six-figure price tag would be huge.

As luck would have it, I'm in a 4S again this week for testing, and when I picked it up Monday, a coworker and I had a long talk about how it just needed to be a little cheaper.

It's a great car, but for purely selfish reasons, I'm hoping they depreciate like a rock...

The Cross Turismo Variant looks interesting with those wheels. With that in mind, I wonder if Audi has an Avant version of the E-Tron GT on the cards too.

I saw a Taycan, with personalised license plates, on a trailer this afternoon. It was kaputt. :P

If i was in the market for a Porsche flavoured dog-hauler, i'd certainly favour this over any potential electric or hybrid Macan. I doubt it has as much trunk space as the Cayenne though.

As much as I like it, I don't see the need for this car. In terms of the Panamera, I've seen many 2nd-gen sedan models on the roads but only one Cross Turismo so far. Can't imagine Taycan Cross Turismos will sell anywhere close to well either. The sad reality is, people just don't buy wagons.

As much as I like it, I don't see the need for this car. In terms of the Panamera, I've seen many 2nd-gen sedan models on the roads but only one Cross Turismo so far. Can't imagine Taycan Cross Turismos will sell anywhere close to well either. The sad reality is, people just don't buy wagons.

That might be changing a bit... ever so slightly. I imagine quite a few people are eyeballing power rear lift gates as a desirable feature in today's socially distant grocery-loading world. If that lift gate is power up/down, that's a selling point in my mind. If the rear seats fold down, that's a very useful car all around. If it has adjustable ride height... I'm starting to get overheated.

Edit:

Yea, looks like adjustable ground clearance, with added clearance over the non-turismo version, and the rear seats fold flat, and it comes in AWD. I don't know whether the rear lift gate is powered or not.

Shaping up to be the swiss army knife of sporty cars.

Last edited:
Unbelievable.

What on earth are they smoking in Stuttgart?

I have to assume they're losing their ass on every Taycan they sell. I haven't seen a single one on the roads yet and they're even more expensive than a Model S while being less useful and practical. The wagon alleviates that a bit but it still has a relatively tight interior for a supposed luxury sedan.

Last edited:
Unbelievable.

I have to assume they're losing their ass on every Taycan they sell. I haven't seen a single one on the roads yet and they're even more expensive than a Model S while being less useful and practical. The wagon alleviates that a bit but it still has a relatively tight interior for a supposed luxury sedan.
Okay but how many people in Dayton Ohio can realistically afford a Taycan, let alone any new Porsche... the surrounding towns near my city are quite wealthy so I see a fair share of Porsches on the roads. But your point is correct, I've only seen one Taycan so far, despite the dozens of Cayennes and Macans and sedan Panameras in my area.

Last edited:
Unbelievable.

While it's nowhere near the scale of Tesla, I've been seeing increasing amounts of Taycans here in the San Francisco suburbs. I'm glad of it too, because they are way better looking than Teslas. I'm betting the lifted Cross Turismo variant will be even more popular with the Vineyard Vines mountain biker set.

Okay but how many people in Dayton Ohio can realistically afford a Taycan, let alone any new Porsche... the surrounding towns near my city are quite wealthy so I see a fair share of Porsches on the roads. But your point is correct, I've only seen one Taycan so far, despite the dozens of Cayennes and Macans and sedan Panameras in my area.
There will be more in bigger cities of course but Model Ses aren't rare here, nor are the other cars you mentioned. I've seen a few Panamera Turbos roaming around.

According to Motor 1, the Taycan is a resounding success. It sold 20,000 copies in 2020...globally. Tesla sold slightly more Model Ses just in the US in 2020, and the high price and low demand of that model has been a known quantity for years. That said, the Panamera only sold 3,800 in 2020 so the Taycan is destroying that car for sure. Maybe despite the smaller interior the Taycan is eating Panamera sales.

While it's nowhere near the scale of Tesla, I've been seeing increasing amounts of Taycans here in the San Francisco suburbs. I'm glad of it too, because they are way better looking than Teslas. I'm betting the lifted Cross Turismo variant will be even more popular with the Vineyard Vines mountain biker set.
The wagon body is great but all that plastic crap they slapped on makes it look like a Honda CRV. Atrocious. Vineyard Vines sounds like a miserable place to be if that's what they like to look at.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back