2020 Porsche Taycan Revealed: Up to 750hp for Stuttgart's Tesla Rival

I was thinking about the cross turismo a lot yesterday. What a fantastic car. Not only is it great looking, it has the potential to do all the things.

I kindof have two different categories of car that I need. Cars that are functional, and cars that are fun. If I can cram a lot of function into a single car, then I can have more cars that are fun - that don't need to do basically anything. The functional stuff that I need is a list that includes people hauling, dog hauling (I used to need that), grocery hauling, furniture hauling, driving in snow, and being efficient. This porsche is a vehicle that does all of that while retaining a lot of fun - which I'm willing to give up for functionality, but of course you don't want to give up any more of that than you have to. It's also drop dead gorgeous (and does not look like a Honda CRV).

The only things the cross-turismo doesn't seem to do well are tow, and road trip. So that's a second functional vehicle still needed. My current two are my sienna and my FX35. But this cross-turismo looks like it might be capable of replacing my FX35, and few vehicles are.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the cross turismo a lot yesterday. What a fantastic car. Not only is it great looking, it has the potential to do all the things.

I kindof have two different categories of car that I need. Cars that are functional, and cars that are fun. If I can cram a lot of function into a single car, then I can have more cars that are fun - that don't need to do basically anything. The functional stuff that I need is a list that includes people hauling, dog hauling (I used to need that), grocery hauling, furniture hauling, driving in snow, and being efficient. This porsche is a vehicle that does all of that while retaining a lot of fun - which I'm willing to give up for functionality, but of course you don't want to give up any more of that than you have to. It's also drop dead gorgeous (and does not look like a Honda CRV).

The only things the cross-turismo doesn't seem to do well are tow, and road trip. So that's a second functional vehicle still needed. My current two are my sienna and my FX35. But this cross-turismo looks like it might be capable of replacing my FX35, and few vehicles are.
I suppose the only downside to this thing is the absurd price relative to how good it actually is at any particular task.

I don't get it. Wasn't there a Taycan Sport Turismo as well? I can't find it on the Porsche official website. Only this new Taycan (4) Cross Turismo, which is a beautiful and better looking car than the Taycan.

iris

t4701.gif

Oops, the Sport Turismo was not an EV.

Last edited:

That is such an attractive specification :eek::drool:

Given the choice, I would also have the Cross Turismo over the regular model. The design is just as attractive and you get increased practicality. Win-win!

The Taycan Turismo would be more attractive as a Sport rather than a Cross. The black cladding looks ungainly.

The Taycan Turismo would be more attractive as a Sport rather than a Cross. The black cladding looks ungainly.
It looks like if you took a Subaru Outback and lowered it.

confused-jackie-chan-1024x686.jpg

Like, lower an Outback, give it big stupid wide low profile tires and a million hp, and charge $100,000 for it. That's the market we're going for.

Like, let's never actually sell an off-road version of our SUV and instead lets make an off-road version of an electric sports sedan that nobody ever asked for. Dope.

This has got to be the dumbest, most marketless car I've seen in quite a while. They'll sell millions of them because people with money get more restless by the day. We should all take bets on the next stupid and impossibly overpriced thing that a German car company conjures up.

Last edited:
The Panamera looks so much better without all the plastic crap. It looks like a sports wagon because it is a sports wagon. It also looks bigger and more useable on the interior.

I like them both. The Panamera with the Taycan Cross Turismo wheels is pure car pr0n.
The Taycan without the plastics bits is a better looking car than the new Audi e-tron GT.

The Taycan is the one to get for me personally because you don't have to pay yearly road tax.

Last edited:
The Taycan is the one to get for me personally because you don't have to pay yearly road tax.
The concept of choosing one $100,000 car over another because it saves you some road tax is mind blowing to me. How overtly ostentatious can a person be while simultaneously being trailer park levels of cheap. Driving a car like this to the grocery just to buy store-brand items is actually offensive.

The concept of choosing one $100,000 car over another because it saves you some road tax is mind blowing to me. How overtly ostentatious can a person be while simultaneously being trailer park levels of cheap. Driving a car like this to the grocery just to buy store-brand items is actually offensive.
I don't agree at all.

Many rich people buy expensive electric cars for fiscal advantages. Maybe not in the US but over here it is one of the main reasons to buy an expensive electric car.

BTW I find your post a little bit offensive. I don't know if I have to take it personally or not. If it is a general statement and not particularly addressed to me (you quoted me), then it's okay I guess.

Last edited:
I don't agree at all.

Many rich people buy expensive electric cars for fiscal advantages. Maybe not in the US but over here it is one of the main reasons to buy an expensive electric car.

BTW I find your post a little bit offensive. I don't know if I have to take it personally or not. If it is a general statement and not particularly addressed to me (you quoted me), then it's okay I guess.
It definitely wasn't directed at you. It was directed at an idea. I have several wealthy family member whom have never even considered owning a car like this Porsche so I was contrasting good financial responsibility with the idea of buying an extremely expensive car to avoid a little bit of tax.

It definitely wasn't directed at you. It was directed at an idea. I have several wealthy family member whom have never even considered owning a car like this Porsche so I was contrasting good financial responsibility with the idea of buying an extremely expensive car to avoid a little bit of tax.
Okay, no problem.

It seems to be different over here. First of all, you don't have to pay taxes at all when buying an electric car. Secondly, on top of this when you have a business electric cars used to be 120% tax-deductible, now in 2021 I believe it is only 100%. There is also a miscellaneous benefits tax thing (I don't know the correct English term) and this tax is also less expensive for electric cars. This is if you own a company car which you also use for private use. Of course just like in the US, there is also a tax credit issued by some local governments (for everyone who buys an electric car).

There is no registration fee and yearly road tax for electric cars (for everyone who buys an electric car).

BTW taxes are expensive over here.

Example:

Registration fee for a standard Panamera Sport Turismo:
  • € 9,435
Yearly Road tax:
  • € 997

Registration fee for a Panamera Sport Turismo Turbo S:
  • € 11.391,05
Yearly Road Tax:
  • € 2.811,79
I personally can avoid these taxes if I chose the Taycan Cross Turismo. If you have a business you don't to pay these taxes and you also have the other benefits as well.

There is the Panamera E-Hybrid

Registration fee for a standard Panamera Sport Turismo:
  • € 45,56 :D :D :D
Yearly Road Tax:
  • € 491,22 :D (this is doable). It's half as expensive as my Mondeo. :P

Last edited:
That math makes sense. The registration and taxes you can save in Europe are basically 20% of the whole cost of the car. The US basically has no benefits of any consequence for EVs right now (thank you know who), and they were only tax credits which simply means it reduces your taxable income for the year. If a person made $100,000 income, buying an EV would give them a tax credit so now they only pay taxes on $92,500 of income. Our politicians market this as something that actually matters to the masses but it doesn't because our tax system is so obtuse you just slap the numbers into TurboTax every February and call it a day.

Last edited:
That math makes sense. The registration and taxes you can save in Europe are basically 20% of the whole cost of the car. The US basically has no benefits of any consequence for EVs right now (thank you know who), and they were only tax credits which simply means it reduces your taxable income for the year. If a person made $100,000 income, buying an EV would give them a tax credit so now they only pay taxes on $92,500 of income. Our politicians market this as something that actually matters to the masses but it doesn't because our tax system is so obtuse you just slap the numbers into TurboTax every February and call it a day.

You're describing a tax deduction. Credits directly reduce your tax bill. So if that 100k is taxed at an effective rate of 25%, then a tax payer with no deductions or credit pays $25,000 in taxes. With an $7,500 tax deduction, they would be paying 25% on $92,500 which is $23,125. With a Tax CREDIT, you just straight up reduce that original $25,000 bill by $7,500 (to $17,500) so you're effective tax rate goes down to 17.5%.

Last edited:
Love the cross turismo. I wonder what the max ride height is for that thing with the suspension adjusted all the way up. The price is super steep, but in 10 years or so when I'm in the market, they might not be so expensive. I don't pay a ton of attention to the sticker price on cars, since I basically never consider buying them new.

Last edited:
Love the cross turismo. I wonder what the max ride height is for that thing with the suspension adjusted all the way up. The price is super steep, but in 10 years or so when I'm in the market, they might not be so expensive. I don't pay a ton of attention to the sticker price on cars, since I basically never consider buying them new.
Additional ground clearance +20mm vs Taycan sedan models
Is on the Porsche website: standard features.

Is on the Porsche website: standard features.

...so what's the ground clearance? Because +20mm is not a ground clearance.

Edit:

This one says 30mm for off-road package.

https://driving.ca/porsche/taycan/a...-turismo-adds-headroom-off-road-ability-to-ev

It's really not clear what the ground clearance for the Taycan is, since it's variable ride height, and I can't seem to find stats for a particular setting. All the states appear relative or not referenced to a setting.

Edit 2:

Best answer I can get is 6.2 inches (with off-raod), but honestly, I have no idea if that's correct. If it is, it's damned impressive. Only about 1.5 inches short of the FX35. Almost the same as my minivan, which is noticeably lower than the FX in snow, but not so much so that it becomes a regular problem.

Last edited:
How much ground clearance does it have when the air suspension is undergoing warranty work in the shop?

...so what's the ground clearance? Because +20mm is not a ground clearance.

Edit:

This one says 30mm for off-road package.

https://driving.ca/porsche/taycan/a...-turismo-adds-headroom-off-road-ability-to-ev

It's really not clear what the ground clearance for the Taycan is, since it's variable ride height, and I can't seem to find stats for a particular setting. All the states appear relative or not referenced to a setting.
The article mentioned says this:

Off-Road Design Package which raises ground clearance by as much as 30 mm
So if I say the ground clearance of 20 mm is according to you not a ground clearance. But the article says the exact same thing only it's 30 mm instead of the 20 mm I mentioned. :confused:

According to Auto Bild the standard Cross Turismo is 20 mm higher (ground clearance) without the off-road package compared to the Taycan Sedan.
The Cross Turismo with the off-road package is 30 mm higher than the Taycan Sedan and 10 mm higher than the standard Cross Turismo.

It seems that you can lift the car even more if necessary.

You can also lift the car by pushing a button and the car will remember, through GPS, at which location you pushed the button. The car will ask you if you want to save the lift settings and then the car will lift itself automatically at that particular location. E.g. at your home garage.

The Cross Turismo has a "Gravel" setting.

Naamloos.jpg

Naamloos.jpg

The off-road package gives 30 mm more ground clearance and can be set even higher if needed (an additional 30 mm?).

Naamloos.jpg

So, the standard Cross Turismo is lifted 20 mm compared to the Taycan Sedan.
The Cross Turismo 4S and Turbo models are lifted an additional 10 mm on top of the 20 mm.
And you can lift the car when needed even more, probably another 30 mil.

The article mentioned says this:

So if I say the ground clearance of 20 mm is according to you not a ground clearance. But the article says the exact same thing only it's 30 mm instead of the 20 mm I mentioned. :confused:

According to Auto Bild the standard Cross Turismo is 20 mm higher (ground clearance) without the off-road package compared to the Taycan Sedan.
The Cross Turismo with the off-road package is 30 mm higher than the Taycan Sedan and 10 mm higher than the standard Cross Turismo.

It seems that you can lift the car even more if necessary.

You can also lift the car by pushing a button and the car will remember, through GPS, at which location you pushed the button. The car will ask you if you want to save the lift settings and then the car will lift itself automatically at that particular location. E.g. at your home garage.

The Cross Turismo has a "Gravel" setting.

View attachment 996619

View attachment 996620

The off-road package gives 30 mm more ground clearance and can be set even higher if needed (an additional 30 mm?).

View attachment 996624

So, the standard Cross Turismo is lifted 20 mm compared to the Taycan Sedan.
The Cross Turismo 4S and Turbo models are lifted an additional 10 mm on top of the 20 mm.
And you can lift the car when needed even more, probably another 30 mil.

Perfectly confusing. I wish they would just give us a ground clearance! How many inches (or cm or mm, whatever) is it off the ground! Just tell us Porsche!

This relative change of ground clearance thing is maddening. I don't care how it changes compared to what it was, I care what I can clear.

Perfectly confusing. I wish they would just give us a ground clearance! How many inches (or cm or mm, whatever) is it off the ground! Just tell us Porsche!

This relative change of ground clearance thing is maddening. I don't care how it changes compared to what it was, I care what I can clear.
I found this:
The model Porsche Taycan is produced by Porsche between and 2019. They were produced 1 versions in total.

The body type is Hatchback. The engine's fuel type is Electric with transmission Automatic and power 530 hp.

The Ground clearance is 128 mm. The top speed is 250 km/h.
https://www.cars-data.com/en/porsche-taycan/ground-clearance

Add 20 or 30 mm to that and an additional 10 mm for the "Gravel lift feature".

Porsche TAYCAN Ground clearance unladen128mm
https://www.carsguide.com.au/porsche/taycan/car-dimensions/2020

I hope this helps?

I found this:
https://www.cars-data.com/en/porsche-taycan/ground-clearance

Add 20 or 30 mm to that and an additional 10 mm for the "Gravel lift feature".

https://www.carsguide.com.au/porsche/taycan/car-dimensions/2020

I hope this helps?

👍

That's what I was using to get this bit:

Best answer I can get is 6.2 inches (with off-raod), but honestly, I have no idea if that's correct. If it is, it's damned impressive. Only about 1.5 inches short of the FX35. Almost the same as my minivan, which is noticeably lower than the FX in snow, but not so much so that it becomes a regular problem.

But... I'm still left wondering. Is the +30mm... or +30mm +10mm with respect to that 128mm? Or is it with respect to the lowest setting? Or the highest setting? or the normal setting? Is 128mm the highest setting?

Ok, I think I've derailed this long enough. Bottom line, the cross turismo has some options to make it significantly more formidable in the snow, which is a major selling point to Danoff if he's going to replace his SUV with it.

👍

That's what I was using to get this bit:

But... I'm still left wondering. Is the +30mm... or +30mm +10mm with respect to that 128mm? Or is it with respect to the lowest setting? Or the highest setting? or the normal setting? Is 128mm the highest setting?

Ok, I think I've derailed this long enough. Bottom line, the cross turismo has some options to make it significantly more formidable in the snow, which is a major selling point to Danoff if he's going to replace his SUV with it.
No, you're not derailing. It is interesting and I'm also interested and it is still a thread about the Taycan. As far as I know, the 128 mm of the Taycan Sedan is the standard height, normal setting and the +20/30 mm is also the standard height.

So you have several ground clearances:
  • +20 mm for the standard Cross Turismo
  • +30 mm for the other Cross Turismos with the off-road package
  • an additional +10 mm when you chose the "Gravel" thing.
Then there is this:

naamloos-jpg.996624

The "Drive" seems to have different settings:
  • Drive mode (lift)
  • Gravel Chassis (High)
  • Chassis height (Medium)
Maybe the "Drive mode" is the lift that you can save which the car remembers where you saved it (GPS)?
The "Gravel Chassis" is probably the +10 mm?
The "Chassis height? :confused:

Just as an aside. Some countries mainly Scandinavian, have incentives for owning an EV... could be as little as being able to use the HOV or Transit lanes or even being able to drive in a city center when ICE cars are banned.

But some countries are like mine who gives EV owners a seperate bill each year in addition to registration and medical insurance because EVs do not pay gasoline tax per gallon.

This is not a big deal for people who can afford a $100k+ Taycan but I will pay private enterprise for a product but am generally unwilling to pay government for what is a tax for the privilge of doing something that shouldnt be costed.

btw. I dont mind the look of the Cross Taycan except that the headlights of this series grates on me.

Back