2020 Porsche Taycan Revealed: Up to 750hp for Stuttgart's Tesla Rival

1*pXY33WWBSZ9Kkf3vu5_a1w.png

Maybe. Who knows?

I don’t follow electric car news but obviously Porsche raised my interest (not that I would have enough money to afford one) as I mentioned before. If one thing proves that Musk, Tesla and their seemingly blind fans fear the Taycan, this is it:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-plaid-powertrain-porsche-taycan-game-over/

It became quite clear that Teslarati (don’t wanna comment on the name) don’t really know what an actual car is and are truly blindly believing anything their chosen Elon says, it’s like a sect or something...

EDIT: just to be clear, I believe that what Tesla did for the electric cars is great, no question about that. I don’t like the attitude showcased in articles like the one I linked.

I don’t follow electric car news but obviously Porsche raised my interest (not that I would have enough money to afford one) as I mentioned before. If one thing proves that Musk, Tesla and their seemingly blind fans fear the Taycan, this is it:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-plaid-powertrain-porsche-taycan-game-over/

It became quite clear that Teslarati (don’t wanna comment on the name) don’t really know what an actual car is and are truly blindly believing anything their chosen Elon says, it’s like a sect or something...

EDIT: just to be clear, I believe that what Tesla did for the electric cars is great, no question about that. I don’t like the attitude showcased in articles like the one I linked.
It's not really surprising. A Tesla-related site is taking at word, what a Tesla-centered YouTuber has to say as fact which is coincidentally, praise that Tesla beat Porsche before the car or powertrain even released.

Edit*
Whoever that YouTuber is, has a lot of arrogance. His entire argument is just "better battery & powertrain", but he doesn't seem intent on explaining why the Plaid system is better, or more likely, because he just takes Elon's tweet at heart. Performance wise, he's talking about Tesla beating its electric vehicle record at Laguna Seca going from 1:43 to 1:36, except its a prototype vehicle, so it doesn't actually break any production lap records. He also looks forward to Tesla using the prototype to break Porsche's 'Ring record and post the video.

Of course, he argues this point that Porsche's Taycan isn't a record because it's got... the safety equipment required (and supposedly, altered software) before admitting the Tesla in Germany will... also have safety equipment.

What baffles me though, is he says Tesla could potentially destroy the powertrain going after the 'Ring record. I guess being blinded by brand loyalty is more severe than I thought because what's the point in attempting a production car lap record if the car your consumer drives can't actually do the same? Mr. brand loyalty concludes towards the end that the Model S can't last 3 or 4 laps on a normal track because the battery shuts down. So, this record means nothing and really shouldn't even be attempted b/c it's quite clear, the cars are not built for such abuse. Leave it to the Roadster.

Last edited:
It's not really surprising. A Tesla-related site is taking at word, what a Tesla-centered YouTuber has to say as fact which is coincidentally, praise that Tesla beat Porsche before the car or powertrain even released.

Edit*
Whoever that YouTuber is, has a lot of arrogance. His entire argument is just "better battery & powertrain", but he doesn't seem intent on explaining why the Plaid system is better, or more likely, because he just takes Elon's tweet at heart. Performance wise, he's talking about Tesla beating its electric vehicle record at Laguna Seca going from 1:43 to 1:36, except its a prototype vehicle, so it doesn't actually break any production lap records. He also looks forward to Tesla using the prototype to break Porsche's 'Ring record and post the video.

Of course, he argues this point that Porsche's Taycan isn't a record because it's got... the safety equipment required (and supposedly, altered software) before admitting the Tesla in Germany will... also have safety equipment.

What baffles me though, is he says Tesla could potentially destroy the powertrain going after the 'Ring record. I guess being blinded by brand loyalty is more severe than I thought because what's the point in attempting a production car lap record if the car your consumer drives can't actually do the same? Mr. brand loyalty concludes towards the end that the Model S can't last 3 or 4 laps on a normal track because the battery shuts down. So, this record means nothing and really shouldn't even be attempted b/c it's quite clear, the cars are not built for such abuse. Leave it to the Roadster.

I'm completely with you. I gotta be honest, I didn't bother to watch the video as it would simply boil my brain :) I'm definitely partial to Porsche as they have proven from time to time that they have a pretty good idea how to build cars that actually work - and if they say that the Taycan can do certain things, they are most likely right. I do realize that I'm seemingly almost as blind as the Tesla fans but at least history has proven that the gentlemen and -women know their stuff when it comes to the Nordschleife.

The word I forgot to mention before is desperation. It seems that the Taycan has hit a nerve truly hard at Tesla and in its orbiting cult. Again, I gotta admit that I don't really follow the e-car scene but the BMW i3 or the ID.R didn't push them into full defense mode. Sure, the press is also eager to shout whateverkiller anytime they can, no doubt it did some extra triggering in the loyal/blind fan base that their beloved Model S got finally a true competitor.

Whether the Taycan actually occupies the same market space as the Model S I honestly don't know. Sizewise most certainly, price is obviously a very different ballgame. We know that cheaper versions are coming and many argue that quite a few people bought a Model S who can easily afford a Taycan Turbo/Turbo S but there was nothing else really available, hence their Tesla purchase. We'll see how the Taycan will perform on the market. I would expect it to be profitable even if they don't do superb on numbers - but where Porsche excels is pushing the envelope and that's certainly happening. The reactions for me are very clear, if nothing else, this truly concerns Tesla and its fans.

I'm completely with you. I gotta be honest, I didn't bother to watch the video as it would simply boil my brain :) I'm definitely partial to Porsche as they have proven from time to time that they have a pretty good idea how to build cars that actually work - and if they say that the Taycan can do certain things, they are most likely right. I do realize that I'm seemingly almost as blind as the Tesla fans but at least history has proven that the gentlemen and -women know their stuff when it comes to the Nordschleife.
That's because, as everyone here has seen, Porsche has had the Taycan under the knife for 3-4 years since it was first revealed as a concept. They didn't just see Tesla raise the bar and rush out a car to beat it.

Edit* I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche used what they learned from developing the Hybrid system & E-Drive in the 918 when they set their engineers to work on the Taycan. The 918's Hybrid system went through a ton of testing, and they let reviewers drive it before the production car was out to sample it.
**Correction, looks the Mission E/Taycan sourced technology learned from the 919.
It’s a sports car. There’s no doubt about that. But it’s not the sports car you might expect. Its powertrain is completely new, but, like that of every

Porsche, is based on technology tested in motorsports. Two permanent magnet synchronous motors (PSMs), similar to those in the 919 Hybrid that won Le Mans, propel the car and recover energy when braking
The word I forgot to mention before is desperation. It seems that the Taycan has hit a nerve truly hard at Tesla and in its orbiting cult. Again, I gotta admit that I don't really follow the e-car scene but the BMW i3 or the ID.R didn't push them into full defense mode. Sure, the press is also eager to shout whateverkiller anytime they can, no doubt it did some extra triggering in the loyal/blind fan base that their beloved Model S got finally a true competitor.

Whether the Taycan actually occupies the same market space as the Model S I honestly don't know. Sizewise most certainly, price is obviously a very different ballgame. We know that cheaper versions are coming and many argue that quite a few people bought a Model S who can easily afford a Taycan Turbo/Turbo S but there was nothing else really available, hence their Tesla purchase. We'll see how the Taycan will perform on the market. I would expect it to be profitable even if they don't do superb on numbers - but where Porsche excels is pushing the envelope and that's certainly happening. The reactions for me are very clear, if nothing else, this truly concerns Tesla and its fans.
It seems if there's anything I learned from Tesla-bro's video, Tesla's Plaid mode will up the costs of the cars and Porsche will probably introduce some models under the Turbos to increase availability, so they will likely grow closer in the market.

Honestly, I would probably continue to see the Tesla as the better purchase simply based on value, but we all know Porsche has the image to move units and introducing its first models under the famous "Turbo" nomenclature ensures instant sell-outs. A 'Ring record naturally, boosts that image of it. As you touched on the people who bought a Tesla S that could afford a Taycan, I'd wager many of those bought a Tesla because it was cool car and will now move to the Taycan because it's the new "It" car. I'm sure Tesla deep in the boardroom is concerned and legitimately so to a degree; Porsche is a fiercely strong manufacturer with good numbers, good client relationship, and good service records, esp. for a brand that's image is centered around a $97,400 sports car. It's probably the last company Elon wanted getting into the game because he knows Porsche will likely succeed at keeping the Taycan a reliable, well-supported, well-liked vehicle just like his Model S.

Last edited:
It's slightly amusing, that the 911 Carrera 4S (Over 200k € btw) is more expensive here than the Taycan Turbo S thanks to the ridiculous CO2 taxing. :D

JvM
It's slightly amusing, that the 911 Carrera 4S (Over 200k € btw) is more expensive here than the Taycan Turbo S thanks to the ridiculous CO2 taxing. :D
More than €200,000? That is expensive.

Base price for a 992 4S is €131,381.80 VAT included over here.

I would classify that as breaking down. Just because it's not a mechanical fault doesn't change what it's considered.

Also, lighten up a little. Elon doesn't even know you exist, he's not going to be mad if you take a break from defending him.
Dead battery isn't really "broken". Hence not broken down.

Naysayers are far more annoying than fanboys.

I would classify that as breaking down. Just because it's not a mechanical fault doesn't change what it's considered.

Dead battery isn't really "broken". Hence not broken down.

It doesn't strike me as likely that they'd start out a lap without having enough juice to finish it. It'd be like running out of gas during a lap - which ironically seems more likely because extra gas is weight. It could be that they just ran out of charge before the lap was over, but most likely that's not the answer. If it is the answer, I'd guess that it comes in the form of "battery was draining much faster than we expected because... blah blah not working right blah".

It could be that they just ran out of charge before the lap was over,

That's pretty close to the start of the lap. It's either that he broke down shortly after going out, or shortly after completing a hot lap.

I don't know if it's telling or not, but he's got no lights on at all, hazards or tail-lamps, so the car is (I guess) switched off completely for whatever reason. And, after deploying the ramp, the car still had to be lifted on the truck with a crane.

The full video:

Naysayers at least point out areas where they need to improve, fanboys on the other hand hurt development since they won't point out areas where improvement is indeed needed.

Like either party will have any say in either situation.

True, but at least the one party doesn't come across as blindly worshiping someone that doesn't even know or care about their existence.
Better than blindly hating something or someone because it's the cool thing to do. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Back