2020 Porsche Taycan Revealed: Up to 750hp for Stuttgart's Tesla Rival

Whatever the reason, it is a funny GIF.

No hate towards Tesla or insult intended.

:D

The rhing is certainly growing on me. I think it has a wonderful form.

I dont even have the testicular fortitude to try and drift a 2004 beaten up subaru on public roads. I cant even imagine doing the same to a several hundred thousand dollar, brand new porsche. :lol:

*sigh*...it isn't The Smoking Tire. That's a definite plus.

I really like the thing, for the most part, however the instrument panel isn't to my taste; it's reminiscent of an aftermarket display like that which you would find in the spartan interior of a race car--which is fine for a race care--but it really doesn't suit its leather-trimmed surroundings. A display recessed in its own tidy alcove is much more my speed.

I'm definitely not one of those who bemoans the absence of typical combustion-engined car sounds and I'm not inclined to do so here either. I'd expect considerable comfort from a new car at that price point, and sound (specefically a lack thereof) is a part of that comfort.

Last edited:
Notify me when range increases and charging times reduce for electric cars in general. Maybe then I’ll learn to live with the sound of silence.

The green appeal of electric cars is pretty overrated too. Mass charging would affect power plants much like streaming services do after the digitalization of media. Then in the future we’ll have the intensifying issue of car battery disposal. Perhaps not completely unsustainable like nuclear waste dumping, but it’s definitely worse than just crushing the metal from combustion vehicles. Meh!

Notify me when range increases and charging times reduce for electric cars in general. Maybe then I’ll learn to live with the sound of silence.

The green appeal of electric cars is pretty overrated too. Mass charging would affect power plants much like streaming services do after the digitalization of media. Then in the future we’ll have the intensifying issue of car battery disposal. Perhaps not completely unsustainable like nuclear waste dumping, but it’s definitely worse than just crushing the metal from combustion vehicles. Meh!

Put another way: I'm finding it increasingly hard to justify my opposition to electric cars so here are some token, logic-straining talking points. Your post assumes that electric car development and power generation technology is completely static. It isn't. Just say you don't like electric cars.

Your post: Meh!

How much range would you want then? Range on some of the electric cars now is already almost the same as a gasoline car. Just the charging time obviously isn't yet but I really don't see an issue with quick charging for around 30 mins and having a little rest, eat and drink meanwhile. That is if you really need to charge while on the road. If you have enough range every day then you can actually charge at home overnight. This is actually faster than driving to a gas station and filling it up if you really think about it. All you have to do is plug in the charger and walk away, takes only a few seconds. You'll wake up the next morning to a fully charged car without having to actually wait for it.

As for the green appeal. I do agree if the cars are being charged through the grid. But what most people who bring this up seem to forget is that there's something called solar panels. It's already possible to charge electric cars from them now and the panels should only get better in the future.
The batteries that aren't good enough in a car anymore can actually be reused in homes for back-up batteries or for use with solar. So it'll take longer than you think before the batteries actually have to be disposed. And when they do, most of the materials can be recycled anyway.

How much range would you want then? Range on some of the electric cars now is already almost the same as a gasoline car.

I would be happy with 600 - 800 km.

Just the charging time obviously isn't yet but I really don't see an issue with quick charging for around 30 mins and having a little rest, eat and drink meanwhile.

I consider myself to be quite patient, but spending so much time waiting at charging stations every so often sounds painful to me. What about queues at charging hubs if electric cars become far more popular than they currently are without charging times reducing drastically?

That is if you really need to charge while on the road. If you have enough range every day then you can actually charge at home overnight. This is actually faster than driving to a gas station and filling it up if you really think about it. All you have to do is plug in the charger and walk away, takes only a few seconds. You'll wake up the next morning to a fully charged car without having to actually wait for it.

I agree that charging at home overnight is a nice convenience.

Since I got my current car in 2015 I have driven over 300km in one sitting on one hand, for those times though I would be in trouble due to the lack of infustructure, but if it was here, the Range is enough for me.

I would be happy with 600 - 800 km.

Well that's only a couple of years away then, 500-600 km is already possible now for some of the electric cars. I think in a few years we'll definately see some cars be able to go 1000 km on a single charge. If you want an electric Porsche you probably have to wait a bit longer though, the best range they can get out of the Taycan is only 350-450 km right now. Bit low for the price you have to pay but it's only their first electric car so lets see what they can do in the future.

I consider myself to be quite patient, but spending so much time waiting at charging stations every so often sounds painful to me. What about queues at charging hubs if electric cars become far more popular than they currently are without charging times reducing drastically?

You're right about the queues, it's already happening in some places where people have to wait to charge their cars. I guess the charging network will only get bigger in the future so there will be more places to charge your car at and probably the busier places will get some more chargers added to them. But I think most people won't even visit public chargers that often and have enough range to just charge at home.

Well that's only a couple of years away then, 500-600 km is already possible now for some of the electric cars. I think in a few years we'll definately see some cars be able to go 1000 km on a single charge.

I'm not so sure that's true. Not because the technology won't progress to provide it, it could be done right now with many electric vehicles. The reason is because it's too much of a trade with other things that people want. The ability to go 1000 km on a charge just isn't in most buyers minds. They'd rather have a faster car, or a car that handles better, or has more trunk space, etc. That's going to continue to be the case for some time. If they could make the batteries in current EVs half as big and still go 300 miles, they'd probably do that instead of making them the same size and go 600 miles.

If you place your priorities in performance far outside of what other consumers want, it's going to take a longer time before manufacturers start providing it. If enough like-minded people also want that thing, I could see a variant getting provided, but it requires a critical mass of demand.

I'm not so sure that's true. Not because the technology won't progress to provide it, it could be done right now with many electric vehicles. The reason is because it's too much of a trade with other things that people want. The ability to go 1000 km on a charge just isn't in most buyers minds. They'd rather have a faster car, or a car that handles better, or has more trunk space, etc. That's going to continue to be the case for some time. If they could make the batteries in current EVs half as big and still go 300 miles, they'd probably do that instead of making them the same size and go 600 miles.

If you place your priorities in performance far outside of what other consumers want, it's going to take a longer time before manufacturers start providing it. If enough like-minded people also want that thing, I could see a variant getting provided, but it requires a critical mass of demand.

I guess that's true yeah. Not many people actually need a range of 600km+ and would rather have the car improve in other ways. For most people a range of only 200-300km is already enough. But I think they'll at least get them to around 800 km to be able to somewhat match or be close to current diesel powered cars. Or at least have that option available to choose from. Just like how you can choose between petrol and diesel now you could choose between a big long range battery pack or a smaller battery pack aimed more at having performance. But then again, more batteries usually means more performance as well so there's not really an easy tradeoff with electric cars.

The most important issue with EV right now are the loading times and battery technology. I mean the size, cost and weight of the batteries and not necessarily the range (personal opinion).

Taycan 4S.
71802ea1-85e2-4006-bbd5-5f0060c4edf6.jpg
65e9fa63-8513-4f02-a6a5-86ba14ddab63.jpg

£83,000 starting, 79.2kWh battery, 523hp in overboost, 0-62 in 4 seconds, 252 miles of range. Optional Performance Plus battery raises capacity to 93.4kWh, 563hp, 287 miles of range

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/201...ctric-sports-car-entry-level-model-18901.html

MKBHD review; more focused on tech and features, but the quality of the video is amazing :drool:

Latest Posts

Back