2021/22 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,132 comments
Huddersfield through to the Championship play off final after beating Luton 2-1 on aggregate, it was 1-1 after the first leg but Jordan Rhodes poked home the winner 10 mins from time tonight, they wither face Sheff United or Forest in the final and Forest hold a 2-1 lead going into tomorrow nights second leg.

Premier League games this week are...

Tuesday
Southampton v Liverpool (7.45 Sky)

Thursday.
Aston Villa v Burnley (8pm Sky)
Chelsea v Leicester (8pm)
Everton v Crystal Palace (7.45)

Its also the Europa Conference final on Wednesday between Frankfurt and Rangers plus the League two play off semi finals conclude.

Premier League final day is on Sunday.

"Our Wazza" is currently questioning if QPR gave the ball to Manchester City to allow them to score the Aguerooooooo goal that won the 2012 league title, because QPR's Djibril Cisse celebrated with the City players...

you're obsessed tv land GIF by YoungerTV're obsessed tv land GIF by YoungerTV

Or, more likely, Spurs doing the most Spurs thing they possibly can and throwing it away at the death.
It's not out of the question. Norwich have their last Premier League home game. Who's to say they don't go out and give it one last try and catch Spurs being all Spursy.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Its also the Europa Conference final on Wednesday between Frankfurt and Rangers plus the League two play off semi finals conclude.
That's the Europa League Final, Conference League final is the Wednesday after (don't know why they're going in that order though)

Southampton 1-2 Liverpool
Nottingham Forest 1-2 Sheffield United (3-3 aggregate, after extra time, Forest win 3-2 on penalties)

A much changed Liverpool side had to comeback to win at St Mary's, Redmond put the Saints ahead on 13 minutes with Minamino equalizing just before the half hour mark before Joel Matip got the eventual winner on 67 minutes, didn't see the game but it looks like Liverpool deserved the win, title race goes to the final day.

Very dramatic and entertaining play off second leg, Johnson put Forest ahead on the night and 3-1 up on agg but Gibbs-White and Fleck took the game to extra time and penalties, Forest keeper saved United's first two spot-kicks and saved a third to put Forest through to the play off final where they will play Huddersfield on May 29th.

Southampton 1-2 Liverpool
Nottingham Forest 1-2 Sheffield United (3-3 aggregate, after extra time, Forest win 3-2 on penalties)

A much changed Liverpool side had to comeback to win at St Mary's, Redmond put the Saints ahead on 13 minutes with Minamino equalizing just before the half hour mark before Joel Matip got the eventual winner on 67 minutes, didn't see the game but it looks like Liverpool deserved the win, title race goes to the final day.

Very dramatic and entertaining play off second leg, Johnson put Forest ahead on the night and 3-1 up on agg but Gibbs-White and Fleck took the game to extra time and penalties, Forest keeper saved United's first two spot-kicks and saved a third to put Forest through to the play off final where they will play Huddersfield on May 29th.
I heard that after the game when the fans ran out on the pitch that someone head butted Sheffield United player Billy Sharp. I believe he had to get a few stitches. That's ridiculous. Hope they find the idiot that did that.

Crazy sunday coming up.

Imagine Manchester City losing at home against Aston Villa and Liverpool winning against the Wolves.

The scenes...

Eintracht Frankfurt v Rangers tonight in the Europa League final...

It is live on BT Sport 1 at 8 pm, but the game will also be streaming free on BT Sport's YouTube channel :cool:

Rangers last made it to the Europa League final in 2008 where they lost 2-0 to Zenit St. Petersburg, and no Scottish team has made it to a European final since. No Scottish team has won a European trophy since Sir Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen won the European Cup Winners' Cup against Real Madrid in 1983.

Rangers only European trophy thus far was the European Cup Winners' Cup back in 1972.

Meanwhile, Eintracht Frankfurt have won the UEFA Cup/Europa League once before back in 1980, and also made it to the European Cup final in 1960 where they lost to Real Madrid... in Glasgow!!

edit: In another coincidental twist, the last European final that Rangers' fierce local rivals Celtic made it to - the 2003 UEFA Cup Final, which they lost to Porto - was also played in Seville...

Last edited:
AC Milan are 1 point away from securing the Serie A title. They will be in Sassuolo for the final match while Inter are hosting Sampdoria. In the event that Milan win the league, San Siro will need to be completely switched from Blue and Black to Red and Black for the fan celebrations.

The Mapei Stadium is over 150km from Milan, so the league has had to create two trophies and two sets of medals, with league officials split between the games. I imagine similar preparations are being prepared in England for City and Liverpool.

I'm tempted to watch the Europa League final in the pub tonight, against my better judgement.

I've got BT Sport HD at home, and I don't support Rangers (or Frankfurt!), and so going to the pub on a potentially volatile night seems pointless when I can enjoy the game in comfort at home.

But sometimes the atmosphere in the pub just has to be experienced. Not sure that tonight is the right night for that though.

Footage has emerged that appears to show Sheffield united striker Oli McBurnie kicking out at a Forest supporter last night, this comes after a man was arrested for assault following the attack on Billy Sharp, just proves that pitch invasions are always dangerous.

Good luck to Rangers tonight.

Rangers were agonisingly close to winning the Europa League last night, with a late chance near the end of extra time being denied by a point blank, instinctive save from the Frankfurt keeper, Trapp.

3500.jpg

Trapp would go on to make the only save of the penalty shoot-out, again with his legs as Aaron Ramsey sent a rather tame effort right down the middle... a poor choice given that Trapp is pretty good at saving things with his legs!

There will be question marks as to why Ramsey was left on the bench until the 117th minute, and essentially brought on only to take a penalty, which would turn out to be the decisive miss of the match.

To their credit, Eintracht Frankfurt took their penalties very well and Rangers were perhaps lucky that their first penalty - another risky attempt straight down the middle - wasn't also saved.

However, on balance I think Rangers were the better team, and unfortunately they couldn't capitalise on that golden late chance that could have sealed a historic win for them.

The 'fan' who assaulted Billy Sharp during the pitch invasion after the Championship semi final the other night has been jailed for 24 weeks, he pleaded guilty occasioning actual bodily harm and he has also been banned for life by Forest and been given a 10-year banning order, Sharp was knocked to the ground and needed four stitches to his lip.

Incoming Man United boss Erik Ten Hag is in London and has met some United club staff, he is expected to be in the directors box for Sunday's game against Palace and start work properly on Monday, he wasn't due to start at United for six weeks but I think that he has seen United games lately and said 'sod my holiday this needs sorting now!'.

You can see the exact moment this Everton "fan" said the word we all know he said to Patrick Vieira.

Everton 3-2 Palace
Villa 1-1 Burnley
Chelsea 1-1 Leicester

Everton are now safe thanks to an astonishing comeback win over Palace, they were 2-0 down at half time with goals from Mateta and Ayew and Everton looked shot, but they looked a different team in the second half with Keane and Richarlison leveling the tie before Calvert-Lewin got an 85th minute winner. However the game was marred somewhat as during the pitch invasion Palace boss Patrick Vieira retaliated after being goaded by an Everton 'fan' and kicked out at him. These pitch invasions are becoming a real worry.

Elsewhere Burnley picked up a useful point in their survival fight and they are level on points with Leeds going into he final day but Burnley have a much better goal difference, Barnes put Burnley ahead from the penalty spot just on half time and Buendia equalized just after the break, Burnley had Lowton sent off late on and Nick Pope made a string of great saves. Maddison and Alonso with the goals in the Chelsea game.

If Vieira gets punished for clearly being abused in an unacceptable way, then the world is in a bad place. Why should anyone have to accept being (probably) racially abused?

The POV video (which I can't understand why the ******** would even think of uploading) gives a better sense of how aggressive he was being, no matter the words used.

And fair play to the fans who were able to keep things in check afterwards and steer Vieira away. This could easily have ended really badly.

(which I can't understand why the ******** would even think of uploading)
I guess it proves he wasn't being a racist piece of ****, just a regular piece of ****.

So there's that.

My favourite moment was this guy in the light blue, who shoves Viera and then does the "c'mon then" dance while shoving other people in-between them and moving backwards a great rate of knots.

1653047589339.png

Here are the games for the final day of the 2021/22 Premier League season

Sunday.
Arsenal v Everton
Brentford v Leeds (Sky)
Brighton v West Ham
Burnley v Newcastle
Chelsea v Watford
Crystal Palace v Man United
Leicester v Southampton
Liverpool v Wolves (Sky)
Man City v Aston Villa (Sky)
Norwich v Tottenham

Still a lot to play for, title is still to be won with City and Liverpool separated by a point, Spurs currently sit in fourth spot but only two pionts ahead of Arsenal and Burnley will survive if they better Leeds result, Burnley have a better goal difference than Leeds.

The Golden Boot is up for grabs too with Mo Salah on 22 goals and Heung-Min Son on 21 and they cant be catched....unless Ronaldo does a madness and scores five.

All games kick-off at 4pm.

Everton 3-2 Palace
Villa 1-1 Burnley
Chelsea 1-1 Leicester

Everton are now safe thanks to an astonishing comeback win over Palace, they were 2-0 down at half time with goals from Mateta and Ayew and Everton looked shot, but they looked a different team in the second half with Keane and Richarlison leveling the tie before Calvert-Lewin got an 85th minute winner. However the game was marred somewhat as during the pitch invasion Palace boss Patrick Vieira retaliated after being goaded by an Everton 'fan' and kicked out at him. These pitch invasions are becoming a real worry.

Elsewhere Burnley picked up a useful point in their survival fight and they are level on points with Leeds going into he final day but Burnley have a much better goal difference, Barnes put Burnley ahead from the penalty spot just on half time and Buendia equalized just after the break, Burnley had Lowton sent off late on and Nick Pope made a string of great saves. Maddison and Alonso with the goals in the Chelsea game.
Burnley only need to equal Leeds result, unless Leeds win about 20-0.

Apparently if Villa beat city 6-0 and Liverpool draw 5-5, the title goes to a playoff...

And talking of titles, the top 2 in GTplanet Fantasy Football league are LEVEL on points before Sunday!!! Good luck to both of them 👍
And I've snuck into 3rd place at the perfect time 😂

Finally and most importantly you forgot to mention the point for Chelsea guarantees top four and Champions League 😉

Last edited:
Mbappe cucked Real
In what way. We have been asking you to stop making these silly, pointless comments without any context for months. Can you please learn from that and begin to stop making stupid Twitch Chat comments (at least there isn't a stupid emote of Mourinho or something this time) rather than actual useful information which can be used for a proper discussion.

What you have just said there is "Mbappe": OK, I can work out that it's a footballer. "Cucked": amazing, you've just used a sexual term as a verb, this will be interesting. "Real": now I'm guessing because you have used a capital letter there that you are saying this as a noun, but who or what? Real Madrid, Real Sociedad? The Brazilian currency? Without context, sources or literally anything else, this is an absolute waste of everyone's time and alerts.

Nobody has gained anything useful from your comment, so really the mods should remove it for being spam.

Real Madrid getting bent over is hilarious. The rumour is that they did not pursue Håland because they thought they would get Mbappe.

Boo 🤬 ing hoo. Any time closed shop, big boy football implodes is a time worth celebrating.

Final day has just finished, holy **** it was good!!

Arsenal 5-1 Everton
Brentford 1-2 Leeds
Brighton 3-1 West Ham
Burnley 1-2 Newcastle
Chelsea 2-1 Watford
Palace 1-0 Man United
Leciester 4-1 Southampton
Liverpool 3-1 Wolves
City 3-2 Villa
Norwich 0-5 Spurs

Man City are 2021/22 Premier League Champions, but how it happened is worth mentioning...because Villa were 2-0 up and Liverpool was 1-1 at the time! so for what felt like an age City were winning the title but only on goal difference! It was a dramatic comeback from City fairly late on as well with Gundogan scoring twice, Liverpool had a comeback win as well as Neto took the lead for Wolves in just 3 minutes. Mane, Salah and Robertson with Liverpool's goals.

Burnley have been relegated after a five year spell in the PL, it was because they lost and Leeds won who survive, Jack Harrison got a late winner for Leeds and Wilson scored twice for Newcastle.

Elsewhere Spurs get fourth place and the last Champions League place, both them and Arsenal had big wins so it didn't really matter in the end, despite another miserable performance Man united do get 6th place and a Europa League spot but only because West Ham also lost.

Son scored twice for Spurs so he ties the golden boot with Salah on 23 goals.

Leicester, Brighton, Newcastle, Palace and Leeds all climbed places in the final table.

Real Madrid getting bent over is hilarious. The rumour is that they did not pursue Håland because they thought they would get Mbappe.

Boo 🤬 ing hoo. Any time closed shop, big boy football implodes is a time worth celebrating.
The Mbappe deal could turn out to be a defining moment in football if the rumours of how much control they have given a player in behind the scenes decisions at the club. :eek:

As for Real not getting him, one always have to wonder where the money to pay for him. PSG's endless money pit is clear, but Spanish teams, especially Barcelona, were supposed to be having financial problems. Seems Real are unaffected again. :confused:

What a day! I was watching a switch channel between every game. For a second I thought Manchester City would throw it all away.

Was hoping for Liverpool to win the title but after all it was deserved for City.

Happy to see Leeds survive as well.

Back