2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Am I the only one who hates this track?
Now theres two of us:) Two months ago I was participating in some polish league, where I was representing my ex-team, and it was Goodwood in some n300(?) Reanault , really hate this track but I was forced to practice... Now I still hate this track but know it pretty well, so profit;)
Still thinking, run final round or dont? In my situation it wont probably change my position in polish ranking, maybe regional.. But it can be funny race:D

Just ran a few practice laps at Goodwood. Am I the only one who hates this track? It seems to me that the entire course is just a series of mid/high speed bends with minimal variation. I’m not quick here, but I also find it incredibly tedious trying to find extra time.

I may well skip this final round.
Hated it, so did a lot of practice and learned to love it. Had an awesome FIA Manu gr.4 race there some time ago.
Still fear that chicane in the end though!

Proper old school British circuit. Stay in the lines or you're dead. Unfortunately I will probably miss this one. Work until 3 and then a mate's birthday drinks. So whilst I could make it back for the last slot I may not be right to race the last slot. 🥴

I had to work on Christmas this year, which is why I thought the Nations Fuji round was going to be my last this season, but I managed to get off early to do yesterday's race. :)

Americas Slot 5, A/S Lobby, Door #8, 216 points

I qualified 13th after barely getting a slipstream.

And the first lap started out with me getting pushed aside before the final corner, causing me to fall down to 18th. But of course, thanks to the sheer mayhem that is this race, I climbed my way back up to 12th. The most shocking of these incidents taking place on lap 5, when another WRX that appeared from behind me and divebombed into a Lancer I was right on the bumper of. :eek:

Things finally settled down at about lap 6 or so and I was pretty much driving alone. I gained two positions putting me in 10th after a Porsche and Ferrari both binned it at the uphill section on two separate laps. Things really started to pay off when several drivers ahead began pitting since they started on Mediums. This resulted in me jumping all the way to 6th place. I soon lost it though after a Porsche that I flew past coming out of the pits caught up and overtook me on the following lap, but this was temporary.

Now on lap 18, I got 6th again after an unexpected disconnection from someone up front and on the final lap, the Porsche that passed me a few laps earlier spun out, placing me in the top 5. I was also being dogged by a Supra driver that was only a few tenths behind but I was able to keep them at bay.

full

A nice end to this season but I could honestly make a compilation of all the craziness that took place in this race that I didn't even see firsthand. It was that bad.

Nice finish to the season! I thought I had an outside chance to pass you in the standings but your race at Sardegna was plenty to keep you ahead of me. Good season, nice improvement over the last ones I think. See you again I hope.

Just ran a few practice laps at Goodwood. Am I the only one who hates this track? It seems to me that the entire course is just a series of mid/high speed bends with minimal variation. I’m not quick here, but I also find it incredibly tedious trying to find extra time.

I find Goodwood quite fun, but I'm also a bit not right in the head. It sits in sort of that Brands or Nurburgring mold, on the line or in the grass. It makes passing a bit of a challenge and leads to carnage at times, but I still enjoy it. More so when it's a race like this one where it is a bit of a laugh and not to be taken seriously. I should be able to improve my points here and maybe do a little jump at the end of the season, but just as likely to clip the grass and go lawnmowing. Not looking at doing too much practice, although I will need to figure out braking points in slipstream.

At the last FIA race here I got run off twice by the same driver who then also swerve blocked me as they unghosted from a penalty. Probably one of the 2 or 3 times I've really had to fight not to rage quit.

Last edited:
Nice finish to the season! I thought I had an outside chance to pass you in the standings but your race at Sardegna was plenty to keep you ahead of me. Good season, nice improvement over the last ones I think. See you again I hope.
I have no plans on doing the Mini Cooper race this week, so you could still beat me in Nations. :lol:

Last edited:

You're not alone.

I can't seem to find a good rhythm around Goodwood. I raced the Nations Cup round last year when it was N300 I believe, and it was a nightmare. People punting left right and center (and that was just qualifying).

I'll probably give the race a go tomorrow as I do enjoy racing the classic Mini, but I'm not holding out much hope of a good race.

Some interesting thoughts from FIA World tour finalist Baptiste Beauvois! I remember watching the final live and I was also feeling the pressure as a viewer 😅

For those who don't like Goodwood, I invite you to watch their channel on YouTube. God bless 'em; There is something for every kind of motorsports addict.
I usually pump myself with a few vids before hopping on the track :) The Festival Of Speed events are truly amazing to watch! Too bad we cannot race the hillclimb course in GTS, that would be a dream!
-Agreed, the track is weird and unusual, but I feel like it makes up for a challenge, every time. Lots of history happened there and for some reason, it pushes me to perform a lot more than on some of the other fictive circuits. Definitely not the type of race I expect to win, but assuredly one of the funniest in my book. Good call from PD to end the year in beauty :)

PS- Few things to do while you're at GW:
-Take aircraft pictures
-Enjoy the sunset
-Go off the track and you have a rally course :lol:
-Shortcut every single corner for fun

Feeling for a little challenge?
-Get an under 1 min lap in a stock, BoP, with Racing Softs -- Epson NSX '08 - (I could do it but haven't done it yet, in all honesty)

Good Luck to all for the Nations Finale tomorrow! Down below is the link for the YT channel . Make sure to watch those mini races! Stay safe 🌞

Goodwood Road and Racing Official Channel

Practicing Goodwood. Have two questions. 1. What are the conditions for penalty after the chicane?
2. I can‘t get the car to turn and keep speed in the first right hand corner on any lap besides the first, why?

Practicing Goodwood. Have two questions. 1. What are the conditions for penalty after the chicane?
2. I can‘t get the car to turn and keep speed in the first right hand corner on any lap besides the first, why?
1. Keep a wheel on the rumble strip to avoid a penalty

2. Turn on cones. Get as far left as possible at the first cone. Point at the second cone and as you crest the small slope turn hard right to hit the apex. You might need a very slight lift to avoid under steering off. Do. Not. Brake.

Just ran slot 1 to close out the year in Nations at Goodwood. Ended up door 12 in a lobby with @D_Dragline and @LeGeNd-1. Somehow blasted qualifying and ended up starting p4. Anything over p13 would get me an increase of points so all good so far.

Race starts and it goes ok. Get a move up to p3 after accidentally bumping a driver entering the chicane, but drop to p4 again quickly. All over the back of p3 as we push hard to pull a gap. Lap 5 it all comes undone as I get a penalty exiting the chicane by going a bit too wide. I had just recovered from clipping it the lap before. The penalty is lethal, dropping me to p8. I manage to get back past @LeGeNd-1 to p7 in a move I'm still not sure was needed, but it was clean. Finished p7 for 170 points and an improvement of 60 on my total.

Looked like @D_Dragline had a great run near the front too. Not a bad race. My 1 costly mistake being mine alone so all cool with it.
Cheers to you all and enjoy the break. :gtpflag: :cheers:

Decided to run slot 1. In with @Redneckchef and @LeGeNd-1 in Oceania second split

Qualifying was terrible. My best lap was 8 tenths worse than my best FP time. Starting p9.

Made a position off the line as P8 clearly forgot TCS. Another place on lap 2 with a better exit from T1. One more around lap 4 with p6 getting it wrong out of the chicane. Then @Redneckchef had to serve a penalty and I was up to p5. Put in some solid laps to catch the lead pack and going into the last lap anything was possible. Got another spot out of the double right before the back straight and closed on p3 into the final chicane. But despite a better exit just couldn’t quite catch them before the line.

Finished p4, less than 1 second off the winner. 199 points and a net increase of 101 pts for my season score.

Special shout out to all the drivers in this lobby, it was super clean and respectful. I still don’t like Goodwood but this was a great result to finish the season. Good luck to everyone who dives in.

FIA Gran Turismo Championship
2021 Nations Cup - Season 2 - Round 10
Goodwood Motor Circuit // One Make - Mini-Cooper 'S' '65

I was looking forward to this one... always fun to sling the Minis and the Goodwood race is just one of those 'canon' races that belongs in motorsport.

Stuck with the Hesketh livery that I used in the last FIA event with these cars, and there were a lot of other good looking ones in my race lobby. Nice job, GT Sport racers!

Got matched in a tough lobby with a lot of A+ drivers... probably low participation. But wasn't discouraged and especially after putting myself in 4th on the first hot lap in qualifying, even as I was one of the last drivers to post a time. But I had to get past someone on that lap (ahem... @AstroVex ...;)), and afterwards I had no slipstream help, so I fell to 9th as people bettered their times on the second lap.

So prepared for a fun shootout and hoped to just keep it clean with at least a top 10 to end the season. Got up to 3rd at one point, but was shoved aside and freight-trained for another spot or so, until settling into a fight for 5th. Was mostly good clean fun, though certainly elbows-out all the way. Got penalized a bit for cutting 5th a break, as I had a run and he went wide on the exit of Woodcote... in the process of making sure I didn't punt him into the chicane barriers, I lost 6th place. Fair game, and all good fun til the very end.

Bumped my FIA score up a bit with that solid result, which was great. I think I'm solidly in the top 50 in the US with that final result. And the race itself was a lot of fun. I enjoyed this Nations season a lot, I thought the races were a good mix and the grids I was matched with were generally really clean and fun. Kudos to all, hope to see you out there again one way or the other.

#17 / Q9 / R7 / 177 FIA points / ~700 DR (another new high mark) / and a MINI COOPER'S BOP'd-UP WEIGHT IN FUN :cheers:

1640825936894.jpeg

Here's the end... fun finish but I lost a spot by being too nice I think!

Attachments

• 1640825955400.png
    1640825955400.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Dredge’s Alt Adventures: Chapter 15.

Slot 1 in NA at Goodwood Door 1:rolleyes:. 25959/99.

Q1 by 0.2s despite an awful set of laps where I had to go around cars at virtually every turn.

Into the race and a good start got me through turns 1-5 safely before P2 arrived on my bumper. A good chicane saw me pull a gap again but the insane slipstream meant he was back by the end of the back straight. An aggressive move into the double right pushed me wide and I lost the spot into the chicane. I used the slip to hassle him in the next lap and was right on his bumper as we approached the chicane a 3rd time. This got the better of him and he tapped the second barrier and ran wide. Before I knew it I was a second and a half clear out of turn 1 and he was now battling to hold P2.

By turn 1 on lap 5 I had broken the slipstream and from there it was all smooth sailing. I set the fastest lap on lap 8 (1:41.4xx) and brought it home 6.5 seconds clear of P2.

122 points and finish the season on 27409/99.

Thanks for a good season Americas. I think I’ll keep the experiment alive for the coming exhibition as well.

My goals for this season :

Nations : Top 5 Switzerland (heavily depending on who will take part)
Manu : Top 10 Mitsu (probably too optimistic but again it depends on participation)
Well, that's it, the 2021 grind is finally over! Due to stuff going on in my life preveting me from having a lot of activities outside of work, I had time to do both Series.
i wasn't expecting nor planning on racing that much but I ended up doing 19 races out of 20 and now I feel totally worn out and this break couldn't come soon enough 😰

In terms of results, I've more than reached my goals (see auto-quote lol) so I'm happy.

I enjoyed Manu much more than I thought, probably because I was more relaxed entering those rounds on my 2nd account. As a result, most of the rounds in that series were one-and-dones...
1247 points, 98th in EMEA and 7th for Mitsubishi which turned out to be a very decent choice for this season.

In Nations on my main, I quickly realised after a few rounds that I had a good shot at 1st place for Switzerland. It all went downwards from the rally ghost round though, where my hard-earned 269 pts didn't count.
I then got my first ever DR reset at Le Mans from which I never really recovered until round 10...

Yesterday, I did the race while in Party-chat with the guy who finished RIGHT behind me in the domestic rankings. It was good fun as we knew how many points we needed to finish in front of the other. He became a good friend over the season and I really enjoyed the competition between us. Thanks online racing and Gran Turismo!

Now a more than welcome break before another (mysterious) season!

Also a big thank you to the GTP community, always a good read here.
And a special mention to @Mistah_MCA !!

Screenshot_20211230-103737_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211230-104826_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
2021 Nations Cup - Season 2 - Final Rankings and Season Summary

Overall a really fun couple of series to (potentially) wrap up my GT Sport FIA racing career. This was the seventh FIA season that I participated in, starting first with the 2020 Series in April 2020. I had only recently started playing GT Sport at the time, and it's been the best $10 I have spent on anything fun, without question.

This season went well overall. I have become much more comfortable managing my races and staying within my skills, while increasing my race pace and avoiding trouble to improve on my finishes in tougher lobbies than before.

The racing was as clean as it's been since I played the game, thanks to the good racers I was matched with most of the season. It's so much more fun when people are fair about things. I for one have really appreciated the new penalty environment... at the A and A+ DR range, it makes for much more enjoyable racing overall, when nominal contact doesn't ruin your race.

My Nations series went the better of the two, jump-started by a nice 2nd at SSRX, but I also put in some legitimately earned races including a podium at Lemans in the Gr1 cars, which was a highlight. Finished 3rd in Michigan behind TPC friend @GTWolverine (who is leagues ahead of me!) and another that I see in streams a lot, so I'll call it 'best of the rest'!

Was a little tougher in the Manufacturers Series, but I improved on my prior seasons there as well, finishing 26th amongst Porsche drivers. Earned a podium there, as well, in the Gr3 RSR at Lago Maggiore, where I've struggled on pace as my DR improved, so I was really happy with that highlight of the season.

When the season started, my DR was at 41.5k, and by the end it was 44k, a new all-time high for me. I only drive FIA events on this account, so that was a nice overall result. And I was able to earn about 3 spots per race on average, from my qualifying position... just need to work on bringing up my pace in those qualifying sessions, to achieve my target of 7th or better every race.

Also had a few fun races on the Alt, just to share some racing with a friend IRL who is at a little lower DR, but even at 35k DR the racing was great at the front (most times!). The Ferrari was pretty good in spots, diabolical in others! I think I'll run the Vette on that account if there is another season. It's more fun to drive and pretty good overall.

Hope to enjoy another season and to see the good guys and gals from GT Planet out there when I do.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 8.45.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 8.45.27 AM.png

FIA Series Career Results
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 9.14.19 AM.png

So as I wasn't able to do the last round here is my final standings.
1640878361065.png

Up 99 points, up 124 places in EMEA, Up 27 places in the UK and stayed 4th in Bristol though down to 3rd from 1st in my age group.
Not bad as I continue to gradually improve. Getting slightly more 3 digit point scores or close to them is certainly helping.

2021 Nations Cup - Round 10 - Goodwood - '65 Mini Cooper S
2021 Nations and Manufacturer Exhibition Season 2 Final Rankings

I wake up yesterday and put in a little practice to hone my skills around Goodwood, admittedly not a favorite track of mine. I managed somehow to put myself in the Top 10 in NA. In the practice lobbies I was doing well all week, finishing 1st and 2nd in nearly every lobby I was in. I needed to beat 211 points to improve my final score, so that was the goal. And I was excited to give it a go.

The first slot I leave room behind a few guys in order to get a great slip for qualy and a load of people come racing in forcing themselves into the perfect gap I left. Mind you, this is top split slot 1, the best of the best. I'm like, have you folks qualified before? Just leave some space. NO luck, they were all over each others bumpers and making a mess. I start awkwardly into the last chicane and graze the wall. Behind me is Turismo Lester. I give him the signal and let him by. No need to ruin his lap and...well, now I get the slip of Turismo Lester, lol. As expected, first lap was not good, but the second lap was looking amazing. I'm not the best out front, but I have been able to follow even the fastest. As I am heading towards turn 3 someone went wide to the wall on the left and steers it back on track wildly, right in front of me, and I have nowhere to go. I hit him. Ubelievable. Q18. Battle froward to P12 to finish but fail to get better than 211 points. I have to go again.

Slot 2, same thing in qualy. Top split, people have no idea how to space themselves. Its really very easy, come out of pit, leave a 1.5 second or so gap, and just go. Everyone in the lobby is pretty quick, so its going to be ok. No need to race to the start line to pile up like a bunch of fools trying to set gap at the very last moment and get a good start in the chicane. Sigh. Two in front of me get penalties because they're driving like its their first FIA race. Unfortunately its too late for me to do anything so I have to go with it. The penalties cause havoc with the guy in front of me and there is side by side action through turn 3 slowing him down. I catch him way too early and both laps are ruined. Q12. Finish P11 after battling too much with a guy that is typically very fast. I needed p8, he needed p1. He wasn't getting p1, so I wish he would've just followed me forward. Instead, cost us both about 3 to 4 spots.

Slot 4, missed slot 3 to eat and in the 4th slot, top split is thinning out. Again, try to leave a nice gap this time to VQS drifter, #1 time in NA. But, the others would have none of it, flying off track, squeezing in, doing weird things, getting penalties. So, I lose Drifter in the mayhem and just find a gap and start my lap. Turn 2, again, someone goes off, comes on, hits the guy in front of me, qualy ruined again as I catch him by turn 3 lap 1 but bump draft because I'm not ruining his qualy because someone nearly killed him. Q12. I'm behind a guy I'm in chat with. He knows I'm faster and is way too nervous, he brakes in turn 3 (light lift at most in that turn) forcing me to avoid him and I go off track. Down to p18. Work back up to p11. Again, nowhere near 211 points. Go again.

Last slot of the 2021 FIAs. Top split, its now quite thin and the points show it. I need p5 to beat my 211 points. I come out of pit behind Applepop and I know he is fast. However, he slows down just a bit to let the rest of his team in behind him. All good, I let them in front of me, MORE than happy to be caboose. I FINALLY get a good qualy time in as this group wasn't going to kill each other in qualifying, since they're a team. Q3 to start. Lights go out and p2 false starts, I'm now in P2 right behind Applepop. I'm going to ride his bumper until lap 8 or 9 if I can. But, of course I can't because the Top driver in the Nation sent it down the inside of me in Turn 4 lap 1 and I get absolutely freight trained. Down to p6. Then I'm fuming and drop another 2 spots in the chicane because I lost concentration. I race hard and clean with p7 and then p6. Make a move up to p5 in the chicane as he went wide in the last turn and thrn I spend the last two laps catching up to p4 and the lead group. I finally get close but its too late. However, p4 dies in the chicane and I pick up one more sport and 221 points! LOL, all of that for 10 more points. Well, I'd say it was fun but it was actually quite frustrating. Pretty sure I exhausted my library of profanity in the 4 qualifications.

However, my final standings were pretty good. 20th in the USA and 28th in North America. Not too bad. Manu I managed to finish top 10 for BMW, which was pretty good considering all the folks that chose that Manu. Now, time to rest the tennis elbow I've developed from tugging on the wheel and be back for the next season...better, faster, stronger. XD

Happy New Year everyone!

2021 Nations Exhibition Season 2.jpg

2021 Manufacturer Exhibit Season 2.jpg

Last edited:
Final results for this season:

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.27.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.27.32 AM.png

This season was by far my best ever performance in FIA, mostly due to a bit of luck (SSRX), and having a bunch of tracks that really suited my driving style (short tracks and ovals). In addition to my best-ever rankings in both championships, my highlights include:
  • My best ever championship rankings in both Manufacturer's and Nation's
    • Manufacturer's was by far my best result since the Americas were recombined into 1 region
    • My Nation's rank was only slightly better than my previous best rank of 18th in that championship, despite outscoring my result from my previous best season by 264 points (I guess a lot of people sat that season out).
  • I finished 2nd in an FIA race at BMB for my 4th-consecutive time.
  • I surpassed my previous best points score (274) 4 times this season.
    • 309 for 3rd at SSRX in Nation's
    • 302 for 2nd at BMB in Manufacturer's
    • 292 for 1st at Autopolis Short in Nation's
    • 286 for 3rd at Sardegna C II in Manufacturer's
  • I got over 300 points in a race for the first time ever - and I did it twice!
    • Unsurprisingly they were at both the oval races :lol:
  • I averaged 266.4 points/race in Manufacturer's and 264.4 points/race in Nation's. Normally I would be ecstatic if those were just the numbers for my single best round in each championship.
  • My AVERAGE points per race in Manufacturer's (266.4) was better than my previous BEST EVER result from a single race in Manufacturer's (261).
    • I also beat my previous best Manufacturer's result 3x this season
      • 302 at BMB
      • 286 at Sardegna C II
      • 263 at Nordschleife
        • I'd previously never even scored above 191 points at the Nordschleife before this
  • Of my 10 races that counted towards the final results, I scored less than 250 points only 3 times.
    • I finished with more results over 250 points this season than I did in the entirety of my FIA "career" before this.
  • Surprisingly, my worst counted result in either championship was 223 points for 8th or 9th place at Spa in Nation's - a track that I love to drive and which usually gives one of my best points scores in a season when it's on the schedule.
    • My worst overall was 217 points at DTS in Manufacturer's, but it was my lowest of 6 scores in Manufacturer's so it didn't count.

Last edited:
Back