2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Honestly I can't wait to race South Americans in FIA. HYPED!

Me too. The racing will be epic. More players involved means EVEN BETTER matching than there is already and it’s already good.
I know at my level this will mean cleaner racing since some of the perpetual dirty NA players will be outclassed and displaced by South Americans.
This is very good news indeed. More quality racers, less riff raff.

Last edited:
Back to 3 regions for Manufacturers and it looks like it'll still be 1 race per week for each series
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_5135534.html
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_3869194.html

Can't wait to test my mettle against JP/Asia players in Manu, but I do worry lag and connection issues will be even worse than before. Especially since the time slots for Oceania are moved much later and it will funnel most drivers in the first 2 slots.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/au/gtsport/news/00_5135534.html

Also, this should make it a lot harder for Oceania drivers to qualify for Manu. I know a lot of players from other regions have felt we have an easier time to qualify here due to lack of competition (and thus easier to get 40 points compared to other regions).

Can't wait to test my mettle against JP/Asia players in Manu, but I do worry lag and connection issues will be even worse than before. Especially since the time slots for Oceania are moved much later and it will funnel most drivers in the first 2 slots.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/au/gtsport/news/00_5135534.html

Also, this should make it a lot harder for Oceania drivers to qualify for Manu. I know a lot of players from other regions have felt we have an easier time to qualify here due to lack of competition (and thus easier to get 40 points compared to other regions).

You pretty much nailed the pros and cons here.

I don't see how having half the lobby dialing into a fixed server 10000km away will be a better experience (read: connection, lag, collisions, penalties) but it is what it is.

I wonder how many drivers from Oceania will be able to run in top split in Manu now? Asia having a bigger amount of "top" players, their DR must be logically higher in average?
@Rangeraus do you think you (and other very good Oceania players) will need to boost DR a bit?

Hi guys! So I’m fairly new to gt sport (but not the gt franchise, gt4 license school gang where you at?!) and I’m fairly new to using a wheel . But I’ve gotten good with it, so I have a question, what manufacturer would be the best with the new bop rules ? Last season I was able to do only the last two races as that’s when I started playing. With Ford. I would really like to sign with Ferrari honestly . Oh by the way ! I was able to hit 6:36 with a full setup and maxed power at the ring with the Ferrari 458 I’m so happy lmao .
But yeah what manufacturer do you guys think would be the nicest by the new bop ? I will be training with the Ferrari with the bop on at Nurburgring tho .
I'm jumping in before reading the last 40 or so results, but could suggest picking a middle of the road Jack of all trades type car. Hyundai, jaguar or the like. They are never the OP META of anything, but are usually capable of being fairly competitive in almost any combo outside of the top splits. I think there are a couple others like this, but they will let you figure out how solid you are at managing different aspects of the driving like fuel or tire wear while giving you the base ability to still race.
Whatever you choose, good luck and have fun

And for being down in Oceania it is a 100pct definite 1 slot and done combo again. No room to run more that late. And pretty much no Manu anymore. First slot at 11pm on a Wednesday. No chance in hell.

Last edited:
I wonder how many drivers from Oceania will be able to run in top split in Manu now? Asia having a bigger amount of "top" players, their DR must be logically higher in average?
@Rangeraus do you think you (and other very good Oceania players) will need to boost DR a bit?

I have my moments but I am not really at the pointy end of OCE top split that often. So combined regions will be... an experience.

Yes there will still be OCE drivers in Asia top split but the cutoff will be a lot higher than it was last season.

In the 2020 season you could often get into the highest point race of the night in OCE with 55-60k DR, whereas now I think it will be around 75-80k DR. It might be higher or lower but it will probably depend on the race.

Probably not worth grinding too much as a great result in a strong split 2 is probably worth much more than being a backmarker in split 1.

I'm jumping in before reading the last 40 or so results, but could suggest picking a middle of the road Jack of all trades type car. Hyundai, jaguar or the like. They are never the OP META of anything, but are usually capable of being fairly competitive in almost any combo outside of the top splits. I think there are a couple others like this, but they will let you figure out how solid you are at managing different aspects of the driving like fuel or tire wear while giving you the base ability to still race.
Whatever you choose, good luck and have fun

And for being down in Oceania it is a 100pct definite 1 slot and done combo again. No room to run more that late. And pretty much no Manu anymore. First slot at 11pm on a Wednesday. No chance in hell.

I understand your pain.

If I were to try and stay with my main account the races would be at stupid times for me:

Nations Cup (North America Region)
 ・Wednesdays: 16:00, 17:20, 18:40, 20:00, 21:20 PST (five races in total.)
 ・Saturdays: 14:00, 15:20, 16:40, 18:00, 19:20 PST (five races in total.)

Manufacturer Series (Americas Region)
 ・Wednesdays: 15:00, 16:20, 17:40, 19:00, 20:20 PST (five races in total.)
 ・Saturdays: 13:00, 14:20, 15:40, 17:00, 18:20 PST (five races in total.)

I am in CET (+9 from PST) so these times equate to:

・Thursday: 01:00, 02:20, 03:40, 05:00. 06:20 CET
 ・Saturdays: 23:00 CET
・Sundays: 00:20, 01:40, 03:00, 04:20 CET

・Thursday: 00:00, 01:20, 02:40, 04:00, 05:20 CET
 ・Saturdays: 22:00, 23:20 CET
 ・Sundays: 00:40, 02:00, 03:20 CET

I have my alt account for FIA so the times are better and allows me to race:

Nations Cup (Europe/Middle East/Africa Region)
 ・Wednesdays: 17:00, 18:20, 19:40, 21:00, 22:20 CET
 ・Saturdays: 15:00, 16:20, 17:40, 19:00, 20:20 CET

Manufacturer Series (Europe/Middle East/Africa Region)

Have you considered switching your accounts around (if possible) to give you better times?

I have my moments but I am not really at the pointy end of OCE top split that often. So combined regions will be... an experience.

Yes there will still be OCE drivers in Asia top split but the cutoff will be a lot higher than it was last season.

In the 2020 season you could often get into the highest point race of the night in OCE with 55-60k DR, whereas now I think it will be around 75-80k DR. It might be higher or lower but it will probably depend on the race.

Probably not worth grinding too much as a great result in a strong split 2 is probably worth much more than being a backmarker in split 1.
Totally agree with your last sentence! All in all, the chances to score big will be higher in Asia and Americas now, with 1-2 splits with decent points outside top split.

I understand your pain.

If I were to try and stay with my main account the races would be at stupid times for me:

・Wednesdays: 16:00, 17:20, 18:40, 20:00, 21:20 PST (five races in total.)
 ・Saturdays: 14:00, 15:20, 16:40, 18:00, 19:20 PST (five races in total.)

・Wednesdays: 15:00, 16:20, 17:40, 19:00, 20:20 PST (five races in total.)
 ・Saturdays: 13:00, 14:20, 15:40, 17:00, 18:20 PST (five races in total.)

I am in CET (+9 from PST) so these times equate to:

・Thursday: 01:00, 02:20, 03:40, 05:00. 06:20 CET
 ・Saturdays: 23:00 CET
・Sundays: 00:20, 01:40, 03:00, 04:20 CET

・Thursday: 00:00, 01:20, 02:40, 04:00, 05:20 CET
 ・Saturdays: 22:00, 23:20 CET
 ・Sundays: 00:40, 02:00, 03:20 CET

I have my alt account for FIA so the times are better and allows me to race:

Nations Cup (Europe/Middle East/Africa Region)

Manufacturer Series (Europe/Middle East/Africa Region)

Have you considered switching your accounts around (if possible) to give you better times?
Nah, if I switch to my Americas alt it has me racing at lunchtime, when I am normally at work. I'm just going to have to bail knowing that the player base from my area is microscopic anyway in the scheme of it all. If I can make a race then cool. If not then I have the dailies and maybe a chance at a lobby or more time at something else. Had issues last time with some time schedule changes and only just able to make last slot.

It is what it is. I have enjoyed some variety thanks to the FIA, I just wish it was Nations getting the time slots I can't do as I seem to be much better at Manu.

Edit: here's the setup I am dealing with. Everyone else seems to have early slot issues, mine are the opposite.
Nations Cup (Oceania Region)
 ・Wednesdays: 21:00, 22:30, 00:00 NZDT (3 races in total.)
 ・Saturdays: 20:00, 21:30, 23:00 NZDT (3 races in total.)

Manufacturer Series (Asia-Oceania Region)
 ・Wednesdays: 23:00, 00:20, 01:40, 03:00, 04:20 NZDT (5 races in total.)
 ・Saturdays: 22:00, 23:20, 00:40, 02:00, 03:20 NZDT (5 races in total.)

Last edited:
:eek:

Aren’t you high 70ks? That’s pointy end.

I’d expect top split cutoff to be about 75k. Maybe about 4 OCE drivers in it? I just need to find an extra 50k and I’ll be in with a chance .

I can't decide what to go for, last time I did 3 nations USA had Dodge, Aussie had Mitsubishi and EU had VW. Not sure if I will run all 3, but might and just going to go for one. Much more sensible, so thinking of Ford or maybe Hyundai. But wait GT is dead so should I even bother? Any other good solid suggestions? Not doing MR as I can't get them to work for me YET!! And not doing FF because PD wants you to.

I can't decide what to go for, last time I did 3 nations USA had Dodge, Aussie had Mitsubishi and EU had VW. Not sure if I will run all 3, but might and just going to go for one. Much more sensible, so thinking of Ford or maybe Hyundai. But wait GT is dead so should I even bother? Any other good solid suggestions? Not doing MR as I can't get them to work for me YET!! And not doing FF because PD wants you to.
The two Mustangs has been somewhat neutered in the second to last BOP adjustment.
You can pick them if you like but the Aston and the Jag might be faster this time around.

The two Mustangs has been somewhat neutered in the second to last BOP adjustment.
You can pick them if you like but the Aston and the Jag might be faster this time around.

I think the Jags will be good all-rounders. Lexus is another option.

Never get on very well with the Lexus, but the Aston usually suits me. Maybe I should fly the flag, be patriotic and all that nonsense. The Jag I usually find OK, but never quite as good as the Aston.

I really like the handling of the AMG GT GT3, but not sure about the Gr.4 SLS overall. The posistive for that car over the Gr.4 Mustang, seems to be its FMR characteristics. May be better on the tyres. The Mustang, I feel, has the better handling(in terms of pointing the car where I want it to go) and grunt. However, the suspension is stiffer than the SLS. So, not as good over curbs.

The Gr.4 choice can make or brake your season.

Silly question time and I'm not expecting concrete answers, but can you state if best guess or knowledge.

So my accounts are all around 12000 (B) with an S rating, but not all at 99. So does it make that much difference for FIA whether it's S at 81 or S at 99. I know they match by SR first, but how they do the split is the question, is it by numbers or just the letters?

Silly question time and I'm not expecting concrete answers, but can you state if best guess or knowledge.

So my accounts are all around 12000 (B) with an S rating, but not all at 99. So does it make that much difference for FIA whether it's S at 81 or S at 99. I know they match by SR first, but how they do the split is the question, is it by numbers or just the letters?

To get in the top SR lobbies you want to be over 90 really. Any lower and you’ll likely be thrown in with the top A’s.

Time slots are always a problem, I don’t see why they don’t host the lobbies for a whole 24hrs with intervals at 60 or 90minutes. Give everyone 3 tickets to enter in case of disconnects and you’ll find more people would attend and most people would naturally fall into their general timezones anyway negating lag issues. It would really help those that struggle to make the pd times or are between timezones. They can still score per region as they do now and also worldwide like they do in the Timetrails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time slots are always a problem, I don’t see why they don’t host the lobbies for a whole 24hrs with intervals at 60 or 90minutes. Give everyone 3 tickets to enter in case of disconnects and you’ll find more people would attend and most people would naturally fall into their general timezones anyway negating lag issues. It would really help those that struggle to make the pd times or are between timezones. They can still score per region as they do now and also worldwide like they do in the Timetrails.
Although I do get your point, having set times means everyone has to play then so you should get closer splits. Doing the Aussie one last time, even with just 3 slots the 3rd one I'd often see A+ drivers and maybe even Ds, but Cs definitely. Just take dailies, high pop I just see B/S (taking I'm one) low pop and I'll see anything.
Maybe having slots throughout the day, but not more slots??????????

Although I do get your point, having set times means everyone has to play then so you should get closer splits. Doing the Aussie one last time, even with just 3 slots the 3rd one I'd often see A+ drivers and maybe even Ds, but Cs definitely. Just take dailies, high pop I just see B/S (taking I'm one) low pop and I'll see anything.
Maybe having slots throughout the day, but not more slots??????????

Yh the downside to my idea is player spread and maybe you wouldn’t see similar faces as often as you do now? However if lobbies were worldwide or even just broadened and open for 24hrs you could see new players entering who can’t enter now which would boost over all numbers.

Myself for example, I can’t make the EMEA times since the last time shift so now I race in NA. If there were wider region lobbies there would be a crossover of EMEA and US times where lobbies would fill 50/50 as EMEA people go to bed and NA finish work etc.

Same goes for dailies really, why not open the regions up, other than lag (where major problems are unlikely), I’ve raced with nations all over in private lobbies with little to no problems really and often my ping from the UK to NA is better than SA to NA.

Everything is a compromise I know but I think we can all agree that FIA kills dailies in every way, so increasing the player base for FIA can only be a good thing for everyone.

Looking forward to the new season anyway, going with Mazda for this one 👍.

Back