2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Manu Interlagos -

Having signed with Mazda for the first time ever I was really looking forward to seeing what the VGT was all about especially with the surprise BOP update we had.
Initial thoughts weren’t great with the car showing a strange oversteer mid corner I wasn’t expecting.
I ran a race practice a few days before the race and to my surprise ran really well, although struggling slightly with tyre wear, I had gotten the handling car down and learned to trail the brakes much deeper than I would usually keeping all 4 wheels in check.
I was pretty hyped for the face especially with all the strategy options on offer. It would be interesting to see how it would all pan out.
Qualifying is a weak area I need to work on so I practiced before the race on softs just trying to nail really fast laps and it went fairly well with my optimum coming down a further 0.4s.
I decided to only run one lap so waited and waited for everyone to leave before I did my slow out lap. My fast lap was pretty awful and I posted a time around 0.8 off my pb and over a second from optimum, this put me around 6th on the grid (luckily) but probably should’ve been top 3 at least.
Never mind at least I could run mediums and run my race as I planned to do a 7M/7H/6S.
The opening laps were pretty laggy which was compounded by p2 starting on hards causing a big laggy gaggle of drivers trying to work out how to get around each other. I got spun around on lap 2 coming out of the Senna S by an aggressive Brazilian, wasn’t sure if it was lag or a punt or what and I was tempted to quit thinking the lag may have been my issue. I decided to do a couple laps to see how it went and luckily the lobby seemed to stabilise shortly after a couple drivers dropped out. I was down in 14th so was now just out for the experience and to see how the race would go.
I caught a group fighting and decided to just fuel save and chill out. I managed to save and extra 2 laps over my practice run which was real handy as most of the group pitted on lap 7.
On go the hards and I seemed to jump a few people and catch some free air (some people must’ve refuelled early?). After a few laps everyone had pitted and I was around 10th with the aggressive Brazilian behind and closing fast. He brushed passed me with no hesitation and continued on to push past a couple others ahead as I was slowly but steadily catching another regroup ahead. I had settled behind an acquaintance who I was a little quicker than but was happy to fuel save behind. We were catching the leaders slowly so I didn’t want to lose time fighting unless I really had a good shot at it. That opportunity opened up as they ran wide or let me go (not 100% sure which) so I nailed the middle sector to break slipstream asap and came in for Softs.
I came out in 15th and thought somehow I’d blown my race. I couldn’t understand it but it turned out many were to pit a lap later putting me up to 6th.
I was now running flat out having overfilled, chasing 2 GTR’s and we were really gaining on the podium places. I think I pushed too hard especially as I had slipstream and scrubbed the fronts too much meaning I made a few errors late on once we caught those ahead. I managed to pull it together and with those ahead fighting nab 5th from a driver struggling on hards. I chased the GTR as hard as I could, P3 then ran out of fuel running up to the line so we were promoted again placing us in 4th and the GTR to a podium.
Overall a real fun race with an amazing result given my early spin, I have really gelled with the Mazda and enjoyed a really clean race if we discount the pushy Brazilian fellow who went on to take p2 and a fastest lap.
Nations should be good fun too with a variety of car options to choose from :cheers:

Last edited:
What cars are people using for Saturday? The best cars are going to be things I'm not used to driving so I might as well try something different. I have the Audi in my head as an idea but am open to other suggestions.
I'm looking at the Subaru WRX here. Feels far more stable than the Renault and Mazda, and I've managed a 1:55.9 with it in free practice so definitely happy with that.

I've also been thinking forward to the rest of the season and was doing some more practice in the wet for Spa. Does anyone know if lobbies created with wet conditions are bugged? When me and a friend were deciding which manufacturers to pick last week, we set up a lobby with the race settings to run wet laps at Spa and found it extremely slippery. As both of us have only ever really done dry races we thought that might be normal.

In a lobby, my lap times are between 2:50-2:55 since it feels like driving on ice. In time trial/offline custom races, they're more like 2:30 which seems far more reasonable.

I'm looking at the Subaru WRX here. Feels far more stable than the Renault and Mazda, and I've managed a 1:55.9 with it in free practice so definitely happy with that.

I've also been thinking forward to the rest of the season and was doing some more practice in the wet for Spa. Does anyone know if lobbies created with wet conditions are bugged? When me and a friend were deciding which manufacturers to pick last week, we set up a lobby with the race settings to run wet laps at Spa and found it extremely slippery. As both of us have only ever really done dry races we thought that might be normal.

In a lobby, my lap times are between 2:50-2:55 since it feels like driving on ice. In time trial/offline custom races, they're more like 2:30 which seems far more reasonable.

Lobby setting is more like what the race will be -- off-track grip setting being "low" messes up the time trials and you can't fix it.

so @LVS_1986 @Zolon32 and I basically sat 18th, 19th, and 20th after the first lap
Honestly Famine, I think I might have been responsible for one of the first lap issues. I got my offside tyres on the grass approaching the first corner, totally lost control, and took out half the field. Full of remorse and self loathing, I crashed trying to get into the pits, and then replaced my hard tyres with... another set of hard tyres. Total pillock! So, I had another three hour pit stop to put on the required mediums, and reaped my richly deserved last (by a mile) place. Sorry :dunce:

Good news is, I've managed to arrange for the line to be connected at the house I'm moving into tomorrow, so I can make an utter fool of myself on Saturday too. Woohoo!

Cheers, Zo.

So usually I'm in 2nd split for Manu, and I finish around the midfield area. With JP/Asia combined, I think I was in 3rd split (winner got 250 points), and I was absolutely destroyed, finished 17th :lol: If I tank my DR to go into 4th split I would have a much easier race and a lot more points, but then I wouldn't be in top split for Nations and I can't be bothered playing yo-yo adjusting my DR every race. Just gonna leave it be and let fate decide lol.

Some early observations:
- Mazda top of the rankings since RXV is OP now.
- LIGHTNING single handedly proppping up Nissan in the standings :bowdown:
- Mitsubishi is 4th in EMEA finally with a good driver, showing it's not a bad manufacturer at all, just unpopular.
- RIP Honda (my manu). Lift off oversteer is even worse than Audi & Huracan (as bad as Ferrari), rear tyres just melt after few laps (moving BB to the front causes weird handling behaviour, so you can't save this way) and short shifting loses too much speed because the power curve is peaky as hell. This is gonna be a loooong season :crazy:

Next Nations race looks like an RXV Cup, thanks to the tyre saving ability. There are cars that are faster over one lap and lots of cars have better grid launches, but over race distance I don't think it matters...

Last edited:
Next Nations race looks like an RXV Cup, thanks to the tyre saving ability. There are cars that are faster over one lap and lots of cars have better grid launches, but over race distance I don't think it matters...

EMEA top10 is filled with Renault's, I seriously doubt that the RS01 can make 14 laps on Mediums without killing anyone. I will go with the Alfa...

EMEA top10 is filled with Renault's, I seriously doubt that the RS01 can make 14 laps on Mediums without killing anyone. I will go with the Alfa...

Yeah the RS01 is the meta quali car, but it's grid launch is even worse than the Mazda and the rear tyre wear will kill you. I know because I used Renault late 2019 season and we have a similar race here in Maggiore :lol: Alfa is a good alternative to RXV, but it's a bit heavier so still not as good as the Mazda I think.

Funny how the Atenza is the heaviest Gr.3 car and the RXV is the lightest :P PD really wants people to forget the poor Atenza exists.

Using the RX-V, I couldn't go faster than my R.S.01 time. Tried the Mustang...no thanks. The RX-V just has that better rotation. Though the R.S.01 feels good around the GP circuit. Dunno, the Mother Chassis Evo & WRX, might creep in race conditions.

How do you know which split you are in (I've seen people refer to top split, 3rd split, low B split etc.)?

And how do you know how many points are available? Is it just a case of seeing what the winner got at the finish?

How do you know which split you are in (I've seen people refer to top split, 3rd split, low B split etc.)?

And how do you know how many points are available? Is it just a case of seeing what the winner got at the finish?
To see the points, click on the wreath icon in the lobby.

And that also sort of answers the first question. The points available are directly proportional to the DR of the players in it. If you're in a lobby where everyone has 100,000 DR, there'll be 400+ points available to the winner, and that's basically the top split - because everyone in it is the best in the region. There's no official splits like in iRacing's endurance races though.

Top split is determined by who is in it. All the aliens together. Second split etc is a guess based on attending players and points.
Low B split is what I am in, simply because the players are all low B. The value of the split can be seen before the race by pressing the icon with a trophy on next to the settings icon. It gives you a list of available points.

Edit: @Famine beat me to it.

Last edited:
Here’s a chart that I’ve found helpful.

9F72FE5B-1887-4066-8E8F-8BC850EF8D37.jpeg

Also, if you’re in top split, you will usually have WT aliens at the front of the grid. :)

I’ve tried a few practice sessions this week at Lago Maggiore II. Each time I find myself quitting after a few laps out of frustration.

None of this makes any sense! All of the visual cues are tricks you have to figure out. For example, I think less about positioning into turn 1 and more on reminding myself that it is the right turn I need to take. The whole thing is like that.

There have been other courses I didn’t like at first and then after learning them my opinion changed, but I hate this course. I’m not doing it! I know I should buckle down and figure it out, but I don’t have time to do so before tomorrow. I’m gonna focus on Manu this week instead. Good luck to everyone running this terrible, terrible track.

Yeah the RS01 is the meta quali car, but it's grid launch is even worse than the Mazda and the rear tyre wear will kill you. I know because I used Renault late 2019 season and we have a similar race here in Maggiore :lol: Alfa is a good alternative to RXV, but it's a bit heavier so still not as good as the Mazda I think.

Funny how the Atenza is the heaviest Gr.3 car and the RXV is the lightest :P PD really wants people to forget the poor Atenza exists.

PD just wanted a lot of people to go Mazda, as Mazda is now an official partner. Funny thing how all presumed better cars in this combo are all pretty bad from a grid start - it almost makes me try a rocket from a standing start like the AMG...

PD just wanted a lot of people to go Mazda, as Mazda is now an official partner.
I don't think having lots of people is the direct issue that needs solving. Having it qualify by results instead of by dint of the partnership, and then not being mince in the live broadcast final is probably the main thing.

Exactly that. The RX-V is much easier to drive for the novice as well. In the hands of aliens and top drivers, it'll probably see more use.

Broken record request, the RX-VISION road car concept, is from 2015. The same year as the Atenza road car and assumed years of the GR.3/GR.4 Atenzas. Just make that RX-V into a Gr.4 car and the Manu choice makes Mazda one of the top pics.

I’ve tried a few practice sessions this week at Lago Maggiore II. Each time I find myself quitting after a few laps out of frustration.

None of this makes any sense! All of the visual cues are tricks you have to figure out. For example, I think less about positioning into turn 1 and more on reminding myself that it is the right turn I need to take. The whole thing is like that.

There have been other courses I didn’t like at first and then after learning them my opinion changed, but I hate this course. I’m not doing it! I know I should buckle down and figure it out, but I don’t have time to do so before tomorrow. I’m gonna focus on Manu this week instead. Good luck to everyone running this terrible, terrible track.

I won't be able to do the Saturday races for reasons but I thought I would give this a few practice laps to see what I am missing. As far as I can see what I will be missing is a lot of carnage at my level of racing. Not at all upset about missing this one.

It might be ok for the aliens in the higher ranks but at my levels it's just going to carnage I expect

I had a lil trouble on Maggiore. Just down load one of the top aliens ghost. Then put ur ghost on. Then you'll find the line. I'm doing better now. Only 200.xx but I'm low B (13,621/29,999) S (99/99). So I may do better, plus if I dont do we here there's still 4 more races. I'm using the Mustang. Its different should be interesting.

Treating it like a Daily RAce. I think the best thing going for the event, the time of day.

:irked::indiff::rolleyes: Dang, man. If you're going to be one of the first out, at least have the pace to pull away. Jeez. Me(in an RX-V) and an RCZ, got held up by another RX-V. Just back out of it. We had to be cautious and first lap was 10th & me in 11th. Next lap, dude was still a bit way off the pace. FInished 14th(Me) & 15th(RCZ). about 3 seconds slower than Pole. C'mon...

Fastest RX-Vs were 5th, 6th and 7th. Me and the other RX-V are down in 16th & 20th.

Edit: What could have been!
Evx8czlVkAMNdZA

Evx8wupVoAkpg35

First off. RX-V slices and dices with the best of them.

What could have been if I didn't get held up in qualy. I set FL. with consistent as ever 1:58s all race. I was stuck behind a Viper for a couple laps. Patience is the game. A WRX kept divebombing in the first two laps. It came undone when a car it previously divebommbed, was making a clean revenge pass(seriously, good racing).

Tight, close racing. NO deliberate side bumping or brake checking or blocking or "I'm not on the ideal line, but I'm just behiond your dorr. So, It's my corner!". None of that. Players gave courtesy, to whomever had the optimum line. Good stuff.

Numbfinger set in, after the first 4 laps. I was going hard and taking bite out of the tyres, but RX-V was strong. The RX-Vs ahead, spun out. Once me and a Supra got past that WRX, we made haste to catch the cars ahead. I got past the Supra, a few corners later. Caught up with the Viper(that's how much I was held up, due to the WRX). Passed that and the GT-R, after a few laps.

The RC F was strong. Not very fast, but good torque out of corners. Towards the end, my fingers were done. I got past the RC F and proceeded to have a crack at the FT-1. I was faster and had more grip, but felt like my car stalled, but it me having no feeling in my fingers to pull the trigger. RC F got past, after T1, on the last lap and that was it. I'm good.

Last edited:
Well I've practiced and tried several cars and nothing. I can't get my head round this track and I'm way off the pace, I know I should be under 2 mins and am doing well to get a low 2:01. Well quali was worse than normal, mostly because many were even worse than me so slowed me down after they crashed. Q16, but looks like I might be competitive, D8 and a 60 point game so norm. Ended up in the Genesis and haven't really done a full race to see about tyre wear, couldn't get the lap times so why bother with strategy? So winging it and hoping tyres last, but will pit if I think I need to as I can easily lose 20 secs due to bad tyres very quickly. Didn't pit, but had to shift brake to rear later on. Came 10th, CRB and 38 points. Feel I could do better, but also feel that's deserving place so not going again.
Still don't like the track that way, but glad I did it and feel I learned a little at least.

Had a go out at Nations and it was revenge being dealt out for my success at LeMans this week. Stuck door 20 in a lobby that was pretty much close to top split. At least as close as I'll be. It was a blast though.

Took out the beetle, was pretty much off the pace and qualified p20, but at the start someone got a penalty, then a guy avoiding him crashed me into the wall, but I drove through that and as the carnage of the first couple of laps unfolded I ended up p14 and staying close enough.

However skill and practice soon came to the fore as i slowly dropped away a little by little, and then started making some mistakes. The back pack started catching and then I was swallowed up. Some made good solid clean passes, even if I fought back as I will do. 1 driver ran me wide twice and tried it a third time while trying to pass so he's on my garbage list. But he got me track limit penalties in the process. From there I dropped back, but tried to keep the speed up.

Lost my focus and ran off wide for long time losses 2 of the last 3 laps, but zeroed in and brought it home in a semi respectable last lap. Still only p19 as someone quit, but I can say that the Mazda is definitely the main car. I could race against it well, but the longer the race went the bigger the differences became.

Still not bad, and 1 idiot doesnt spoil what I felt was a race where I mostly showed well.

Good luck, good racing and long lasting tires to the rest of you.:cheers::gtpflag:

Last edited:
Numbfinger for 10 laps again. Had set Pole and then was pipped by another RX-V doing the exact time. TOP 8 of 9 positions were RX-Vs. One Beetle splitting in the middle at P5.
Good start and lead the first half of the race. Lap 4, that was it. Had to keep shaking my hand after the bowl hairpin.

Pace was falling off with pennanton catching up. He gave me a dive at I don't know what corner. From there, it was about 6 laps to go and I'm done.
P3 had a couple dives and couldn't stick them. After the PZ, I had no grip. Finished P3.

I found out where I kept feeling the car bogging in the corners. I was hovering my brake finger on the trigger and lightly resting on it, slowing me down. 💡

Other RX-Vs finished out of the top 10.

Numbfinger for 10 laps again. Had set Pole and then was pipped by another RX-V doing the exact time. TOP 8 of 9 positions were RX-Vs. One Beetle splitting in the middle at P5.
Good start and lead the first half of the race. Lap 4, that was it. Had to keep shaking my hand after the bowl hairpin.

Pace was falling off with pennanton catching up. He gave me a dive at I don't know what corner. From there, it was about 6 laps to go and I'm done.
P3 had a couple dives and couldn't stick them. After the PZ, I had no grip. Finished P3.

I found out where I kept feeling the car bogging in the corners. I was hovering my brake finger on the trigger and lightly resting on it, slowing me down. 💡

Other RX-Vs finished out of the top 10.

Yeah sorry I thought the door was well and truly open (Senna gap quote to justify poor overtaking etc etc). On reflection I could have been more patient.

Was honestly expecting you to hold the gap firm though, hopefully we'll get another fair go at it without the sore fingers.

Yeah sorry I thought the door was well and truly open (Senna gap quote to justify poor overtaking etc etc). On reflection I could have been more patient.

Was honestly expecting you to hold the gap firm though, hopefully we'll get another fair go at it without the sore fingers.
It's certain tracks. Tracks that need a bit of precision, with direction changes. Especially turning on those curbs. Some tracks with high throttle percentage, don't give me a rest either. Just had a gorilla grip of the controller, to make sure I move the stick and apply the brakes without too much pressure.
I wasn't even really resting on the hill.

I watched the gap from about .7 and then it was .1 from T1-T3? Can't recall where where you started.
I knew the Mario Brother was going to dive. Game him plenty of room each time. No grip after the PZ Left hander.

That was fair. Good drive and good win by you.

Treating it like a Daily RAce. I think the best thing going for the event, the time of day.

:yuck: First thing I said when I saw the screen was 'Not bloody dawn! Who races a dawn!?' On this config some corners are blind and they're even worse due to the light. It got better as I put a few laps down but my bogey corner is the left after the PZ. I'm no longer going wide, but now feel too slow so am expecting a punt or divebomb there.

The RC F was strong. Not very fast, but good torque out of corners.
It felt good on the couple of laps I did. Handled well, but kept understeering at the hairpin after the esses. There's a few cars I have yet to try but felt most comfortable in the WRX. I feel I'd only spin the Mazda on worn tyres.

:yuck: First thing I said when I saw the screen was 'Not bloody dawn! Who races a dawn!?' On this config some corners are blind and they're even worse due to the light. It got better as I put a few laps down but my bogey corner is the left after the PZ. I'm no longer going wide, but now feel too slow so am expecting a punt or divebomb there.

It felt good on the couple of laps I did. Handled well, but kept understeering at the hairpin after the esses. There's a few cars I have yet to try but felt most comfortable in the WRX. I feel I'd only spin the Mazda on worn tyres.
The RX-V still has rear grip on worn tyres. It's more so the fronts that can cause understeer at this track. Even though weight distribution is 48:52.

Latest Posts

Back