2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Tonight was a tough one. Qualified poorly on my first lap and got balked though the Esses after the bridge by a Peugeot that ran wide on the entry to the right hander, cut across the run off area and then straight back onto the track in front of me before finally jumping on the brakes at the second right hander. (All he could say in the lobby when I called him on it was "Have a Good Race"

So ended up starting in 17th. Avoided the worst of the chaos in the opening lap and fought my way up to 7th by the end of the race. Could've been so much better if not for Qualifying.

There have been other courses I didn’t like at first and then after learning them my opinion changed, but I hate this course. I’m not doing it! I know I should buckle down and figure it out, but I don’t have time to do so before tomorrow. I’m gonna focus on Manu this week instead. Good luck to everyone running this terrible, terrible track.

I was pretty disappointed just now when I saw the venue. I’m the same way. There’s no part of this course I’m competent on or enjoy, so I’m definitely not racing...

I love this track,

There's always one, no if we all liked the same things life would be boring.

So D2 and managed a better quali, sat at the back and crossed with 2:10 to go managed 2 decent laps and got Q9 in the FT-1, tried a couple of other cars and this seemed best for pace and tyres for me. 64 points up for grabs so hopefully I can move up my friends list a bit. If I can beat the stoppers this time I'll be a happy chappy.
Well that was a waste, 1st lap was full out bumper cars and I ended up getting a 2 sec for hitting someone (so much for not getting pens for minor hits, slamming someones side now that's fine) so serve it and then get a 3 sec for ignoring yellows. Then got spun off losing about 20 secs, I quit and honestly don't know if I'll do another. OZ was fine, the people drove fairly clean and it was a race, this was dodgems with no one really caring about racing just get in front however you can.

Ok that race was something else, very action packed.
Result could've been better but it's a lot better than I was expecting beforehand.
PS_App_20210306_025116.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, qualifying went about as well as every other qualifying session of mine with a 0.5 second penalty on lap 1 and a bump of from a re-joining Mazda ahead put me in P9.

Got a decent start with the M6 but some people trying to go 3 wide behind me hit me into the barrier, nothing malicious from what I could see in the replay. Managed to recover from plum last to 12th at the end. Would have been 11th if not for an Italian feeling a little bargy.
71 points, and I'm going in again with the M6.

I'm not even trying today. I don't like Lake Maggie the right way round and everything about that I don't like is worse in reverse. If you were to design a track that's the complete antithesis of my strengths and style, you'd come up with this mess of blind corners, no apexes and a track that's twice as wide as it should be.

I'll give it a few laps of practice. đź‘Ť Not driven it since the update.

So I drove it and I like it now. No trying to kill you for a hint of throttle. I kinda liked it before just didn't like the suicidal tendencies. So I decided to enter it. I was the only RX-V. There were a few RS01's so was hoping a few people would get surprised by the car with tyre wear. I was also in a room with Elton John, I never knew he played.

Got a decent qualy in. Only me and pole got a sub 2 min time. (And it was my quickest lap of this combo.) So I felt good with this. Ah...
Got a good start and decided to not stuff it up the inside of first. This allowed the others to catch. I got passed on the back straight. I settled in but got punted out into the hairpin after the esses. I don't think the perpetrator got a penalty. Down to 12th now behind Elton. I try to just keep it on the track. Nope, spin it after dipping a tyre on the grass. Back to DFL. I settle in again. Nope, spin again. Make up places due to people pitting and being faster. Get A couple of Belgians spin ahead and I get past. However they are quicker than me on new tyres. One takes T1 quicker than me I see this and try to move over to give him the inside. He spins me into turn 2. Idiot. Eventually I limp over the line in 14th for about 20 odd points. Elton who hadn't qualified won from the back, so he must be very quick at the game.
Not sure I will go again, I know I could do better but this is just a track I do not enjoy this way round. Normal I love, reverse can go far far away.

I don’t like the track either, but I also don’t wanna sit out a Saturday of racing, and I’ll never get good at the track by sitting out. So I’m going in anyways, what’s the worst that could happen? :lol:
It's worth a go. If you told me I would get a time of under 2 mins here I'd have called you a liar. You are absolutely correct. Make yourself better at your weak points. I certainly have here.

Well, qualifying went about as well as every other qualifying session of mine with a 0.5 second penalty on lap 1 and a bump of from a re-joining Mazda ahead put me in P9.

Got a decent start with the M6 but some people trying to go 3 wide behind me hit me into the barrier, nothing malicious from what I could see in the replay. Managed to recover from plum last to 12th at the end. Would have been 11th if not for an Italian feeling a little bargy.
71 points, and I'm going in again with the M6.
I was in your race, I was the Alfa on pole, got punted wide by the frenchman in third and couldn't hold it on the grass. Annoying as that qualy lap was the best I have done outside of free practice but fighting back to 5th was quite fun actually.

Traditional definition of average quali again, starting 10th. Got a decent start off the line but messed up my braking into turn 1 and combined with the usual turn 1 shenanigans ended up very much last. Resisted the urge to quit. Astonishing the amount of drivers who binned themselves. Fought back to finish 7th for 107 points and debating whether or not to go again. I know I can qualify better and any other start that doesn't put me last is a bonus

Attempt 2 went way better, put in a really good lap and managed to qualify in 3rd.

The first lap was alright but slid of slightly trying to pass a car at the esses but fortunately caught it and didn't end up at the back again. Annoyingly it was enough for the 911 behind to get a run and get past into the downhill left. A short battle with the cars in 5th and 6th left me back up into 4th where I stayed until the start of lap 14. The last lap and I lost 2 places to cars with slightly better condition tyres than mine to finish 6th. Overall happy with that results and a CRB to boot. Good luck to everyone else racing today.

Last edited:
Crazy chaotic mess of a combo for my Cornetto-livery WRX. Grid starts through Lago Maggiore in reverse are just trouble waiting to happen.

I was too aggressive during my first qualifying lap on my first attempt, picking up a track limits penalty at the S-bends. The second lap was scruffy and only good for P14 with a 1:58.221. The start of the race was horrible with so many people trying to squeeze through sector 1, and I got slapped with a 3s penalty for being an innocent bystander when a Beetle suddenly swerved right across the track. The Renault in front of me and I hit the brakes, but the collision was unavoidable. Serving that dumped me all the way back down to P19. :irked:

I was then able to claw all the way back up to P7, but just not satisfied knowing I could do far better. I really hope the penalty system in GT7 has some kind of recognition for when someone has already lost control so the people who get caught in the crossfire aren't penalised for it.

The second attempt however was more like what I'd wanted. I hung around in the pits and then reset back because I wanted a really clear run so I only got the chance for one flying lap. Thankfully it was a decent one; 1:57.467 for P3. Much cleaner start, although I had to contend with a Swiss FT-1 who was extremely aggressive. The kind that constantly sweeps from side to side trying to break the slipstream, won't leave space etc. Every time I was alongside I ended up having to back out because I knew I'd end up in a wall or facing the wrong way if I didn't.

End result P3 for 157 points with a clean race bonus, so much happier with that. Definitely frustrated with the FT-1, but it is what it is.

Not the biggest fan of this track. But figured it was giving it a shot.

First attempt
Door 14, Qualified P3, got punted off twice, finished 16th. Decided it was worth a second shot.

Second attempt.
Door 17, Qualified P6, bit of a rough start, but had a clean race with some good battles. Finished P7, 125 points.

Not too keen on nations, but still enjoyed the race.

Last edited:
Well, add me to the list of folks who aren't a fan of this track. Still, I'll put in a little more practice today, and probably give it a go tonight. Fully expecting loss of DR and some frustration. Haven't been able to get under 1:59.6 and am really consistently at 2:00.3 mostly.

Eugh. Went again. Much better qualifying for 6th. Escaped unscathed from the first turn this time, but got taken out on the esses this time. Duo up ahead got in a tangle, one slid to the side and took me out while coming back across the track. Just an unfortunate incident. So again DFL and having to battle back but could only reach 9th this time. Third time the charm? Probably going again. Surely I've used up my bad luck for one day?

Well that was a waste of a Saturday afternoon. The track’s fine, I’m quite fond of it but the race unfortunately sucked, probably because I suck. At least with tyre wear being of such importance — big Achilles’ heel evidently. Q18 > P17 twice, once in the RCZ and then in the 911. Not thanks to any good driving but rather DNF’s. 105 p in the bag.

Wow, that was demoralising and depressing.

So I'm guessing I cant use the mustang. Looks like I have to pit. Tried 14 laps I can make it, but shes a lil squirrelly like at lap end of lap 11. I'll still tried it since I can race all slots. What's a decent car that can handle tire wear a lil better. Thx

Back