2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
If you want the worst MR pick Lambo. The GR 3 car is a bit schizo, one lap it's your best friend the next it boils your pets! (Thanks @kungtotte_ for the reference)
Actually it's a really good choice as I've driven most supercar manufacturers IRL (used to work for a garage) but Lambo is one I've never driven. Will test first, as want a challenge but don't want to be so bad I'm spoiling peoples game.

I was in a solid A room, had done all the practise, worked out a strategy that played to the Nissan's strengths.

Qualifying was mediocre, had a good lap but others simply did better and I started 15th, 0.8 behind the leader.

Early laps were hectic as everyone jostled for position, there was a bit of violence but nothing penalty costing or race ending.

Starting on mediums, my only goal was to keep up with the pack while most of them burned their softs. I did 7 laps on medium then 8 laps on hards, during which I fell a bit off the pace but was hoping to make some serious ground back up on the softs with a low fuel tank.

The theory was good, but the execution was a bit different. Throwing on soft tyres, I rejoined in a pack and they flat refused to let anyone by without a desperate block move, and that hindered my progress. Had to settle for 9th when I would have had 7th or better easy.

Bit frustrating, but at least no penalties, and a small bit of DR for my troubles. Considering I'm not a fan of Interlagos I think it went alright. Certainly could have gone worse.

7061737752120788480_0.jpg

Last edited:
Well I may actually enter up this evening if I get home in time, on the main which has been in hibernation. Lol given my ranting on the other thread about etiquette I will probably get bad karma!
One thing I have got to remember there, especially at turns 4 and 1 is that if you are shoved towards the outside the game will let you use the runoff area without limits penalty. This is something I always seem to forget when it does happen, if you slow and try to stay within limits you’re worse off than just punching it across the runoff areas...

Well I may actually enter up this evening if I get home in time, on the main which has been in hibernation. Lol given my ranting on the other thread about etiquette I will probably get bad karma!
One thing I have got to remember there, especially at turns 4 and 1 is that if you are shoved towards the outside the game will let you use the runoff area without limits penalty. This is something I always seem to forget when it does happen, if you slow and try to stay within limits you’re worse off than just punching it across the runoff areas...
Hasn't happened this time, but have made places in the past because of this and it's not like some tracks like say Monza where you have to try and keep it fairly on line or get a reset.

Only able to make the 8pm slot no practise and no idea on pit strategy so kind of winged it in the race. Got punted twice and generally pushed about so only managed to finish 18th. Not really motivated to try again after in the last slot anymore after that sort of racing.

Hopefully I can at least be a bit more practised and have some idea of the pit stops for the next round . Sadly not a lot I can do about the punts other than hope for better drivers.

A disappointing race.
Qualified 9th. Therefore decided to start on the softs. A couple of spins gained me a couple of places. An Italian in a McLaren F1 was holding a Supra up. I caught them but also got caught myself and passed. They eventually got past the F1 leaving just me. He mucked up the Senna S and I was able to slip around the outside into the Curva de Sol. I was right on the edge giving them as much space as possible. But they still decided to run into my rear quarter sending me spinning to the inside. I guess they were upset but I had done nothing to the idiot. I recovered well down. Then the next lap coming through the Senna S my rear slips and I can't hold her and she spins out again to DFL. I notice my rear offside tyre is down to half. I struggle to the pits for my scheduled stop. I take the time on my hard stint to just run some consistent laps and try some fuel saving. It does work as I finish 14th after passing a couple of slow drivers and a tyre penalty. Not the best starts but I know they'll be better races ahead. The Italian ran before I could say hello.

I drove 1st manufacturer series race today and earned 4pts from it. In 2nd race my wheel misfunctioned and my car got stuck on grass. Penalty time got full and I was disqualifed. Then I noticed that my points were 0. I don't understand why first race points were removed, when I was disqualifed in another one..? This feels very unfair while disqualification happened due to technical problem with my wheel.

I drove 1st manufacturer series race today and earned 4pts from it. In 2nd race my wheel misfunctioned and my car got stuck on grass. Penalty time got full and I was disqualifed. Then I noticed that my points were 0. I don't understand why first race points were removed, when I was disqualifed in another one..? This feels very unfair while disqualification happened due to technical problem with my wheel.
Welcome to GTPlanet :gtpflag:

Only points from the last race you enter count to your score

Ok, thanks. I somehow thought that best 2 races per event are counted to event total score..
No it's best 2 scores out of the 6 races. Only one counts per race no matter how many entries and it's the last one, I got caught out first time too. At our level points only count at a personal level anyway so race as many times as you want, it's good practice and don't worry about the points too much. I'm happier if I do well and race hard against people who push me, won 1 FIA event and it meant nothing as there was no competition at all.

one of the worst races ever... Made it home just in time to qualify. First attempt a Renault in front of me lost control and got in front of me so had to try again and made a mistake and got a penaltywas on my way for app 10place but now I start DFL.:banghead:
to make things worse the Italian driver in 19th had a bad connection so we both stalled at the start and when i finally got on my way the rest was gone and was alreay about 7 seconds behind car no 18 .:banghead: to make things worse the Italian fellow had terrible lag and was all over the place, which was very distracting to say thev least. Ended 15th, for 42 points. only last lap had some fun when i finally could up with the midd pack but only gained two spots.

A few points on combined regions.

I managed to get myself in top split and finished P8 in the 40-point race. But I had my score beaten by probably 10 people who ran at the top of second split. Plus one or two people who won third split. In addition to everyone else who ran top split slots in the middle of the night and got a good result.

Cody finished P2 in the same race but is now only 4th in the standings.

EMEA has had this problem for ages and it's pretty garbage to be honest.

USA, went with the randomly selected Corvette. Couldn't cope with the tyre wear on MR cars, so will practice them in dailies,
D3, 64 points so all 3 have been roughly the same level of player. Q5 and got a good start, all 3 in front made mistakes on the first lap and I'm in second...but 4 secs behind and losing time. Well not as much as I though so looking good if he's on meds or softs.......then he just goes, must have been a connection issue. Had a few minor tussles at the stops, but nothing major and CRB, fastest lap and my first FIA USA win, and I had to work for this one, at the end only had 7 secs on 2nd and 3rd with a few more close behind so if I had mucked up I would have lost places.

So yeah, I created an account just to post this (I had one back in the day that must have gotten deleted at some point).

Backstory: No stranger to GT games, been playing since GT1's original launch on PS1, have played every major game in the series (including PSP). I just got a PS4 last summer, and picked up GT Sport around 4 months ago. Didn't get to online racing until three weeks ago. I'm B/S (12,xxx / 99) with 49 races completed and 6 wins, mostly at the Daily As and one at Daily B.

This was my first ever FIA event. I knew I had to use all three tire types. Spend about an hour in free practice before the entry period for the first event, and got down to 1:33.5xx in the GT-R on Softs. Upon entry, I asked in the chat if there was a separate qualifier between the practice session and the main race. Crickets, so I entered practice on Hards. Lo and behold there IS a qualifier, and you don't get a chance to change your tires before the qualifier, so I'm stuck qualifying on Hards. Get punted off course twice and end up qualifying in 19th with a 1:45.xxx. Room is all B/S. Door card was 6 LOL. Ran through lap 9 on Hards, Lap 14 on Mediums, and finished the rest on Softs. Fuel was not an issue (I took fuel on every stop, but not filling the tank). Finish 17th (last, because 3 players just dropped out a few laps in), after being punted no less than 4 times, for a 1,200 point DR decrease and 23 FIA points.

I guess these just aren't for me. I'll give it another shot when a course that I'm more familiar with / faster on comes up, but I'm not holding my breath.

First FIA race in the Americas with the Jaguar... Pretty mediocre result and I didn't really feel on point at any part of the race. Started 16th and ran 7M/7H/6S (her tyre wear wasn't good, softs toast by lap 5). Finished 12th/102p.

Tough but clean lobby apart from several desperately 'defending' on worn hards by swerve blocking in braking zones and along straights. Although I was sadly half expecting it after electing to use softs last. It slows us both down while creating an opportunity for cars behind to catch up. In hindsight, saving 2 laps of fuel to avoid refueling again may had seen me gain an extra position but I'll leave it there.

So yeah, I created an account just to post this (I had one back in the day that must have gotten deleted at some point).
New phone, who dis?

We don't delete accounts, for reference. I can merge the accounts together if you wish - send me a PM/Conversation message.

This was my first ever FIA event. I knew I had to use all three tire types. Spend about an hour in free practice before the entry period for the first event, and got down to 1:33.5xx in the GT-R on Softs. Upon entry, I asked in the chat if there was a separate qualifier between the practice session and the main race. Crickets, so I entered practice on Hards. Lo and behold there IS a qualifier, and you don't get a chance to change your tires before the qualifier, so I'm stuck qualifying on Hards.
Yes, FIA races are a two-ish-minute practice, a five-minute qualifying, and however long the race is but...

... you can change tyres between practice and the qualifier. You need to be quick, and you must change the front tyres first, but it can be done. The same applies between qualifying and the race too.

Fuel was not an issue (I took fuel on every stop, but not filling the tank)
Definitely don't do this. It's best - for lap times and tyre wear - to be as light as possible for as long as possible. In addition, adding fuel after taking tyres takes a couple of extra seconds - thanks to the refuelling animation - every time you do it. Fuel up once and you save those seconds and have a nice light car twice in the race.

Last edited:
FIA debut on my Argentinian PSN account. Signed for BMW (M6 obviously) for this season. Slightly lower split than usual since I had almost 10k lower DR than on my previous main account.

Qualified P10. Just managed one hotlap, which wasn't a great lap, not a terrible one either. 3 tenths faster would have been P2, so the field was really close.

At the start, I was pushed wide by another driver in the Senna S, which dropped me to 14th. Luckily, I was on mediums. Managed to stay in slipstream and do quite a bit of fuel saving, which allowed me to then take hards and not refuel until the end of lap 14. Strategy 7M / 7H / 6S.

With fresh softs and fuel to push during the final 6 laps, I had some fun overtaking cars after exiting the last stop in 8th. A guy in an Aston was really tough to pass as he defended very well, but after a few attempts, I managed a very satisfying outside move into the Senna S. Luckily, he left me space, no contact at all, very clean and enjoyable battle. :)

P5 in the end. Top 4 were quite a few seconds up the road, so I think I fully maximized the race from where I was on lap 1. Points weren't great, but satisfied with my FIA comeback after many months, really enjoyable race. 👍

PS_App_20210303_115652.jpeg

PS_App_20210304_040749.jpeg

Last edited:
Aaaaaand off we go into a new series.

While people didn't believe me, my spin on the random picker came out on Ferrari - I'd have ignored it if it was anything else but it's clearly meant to be!:D

I'd shown some good pace in the build up to this and really fancied my chances of a strong race. Not sure what split I was in, but being door #20 with 61.5k DR suggests it was quite high

Anyway, qualy was mediocre at best, barely scraping a 1:29 but it put me 13th. Tried a little quirky strategy to gain me some places by starting mediums and switching them out on L5 for a long run on hards, which worked a treat. Lost a couple of places on the slower tyre before the final round of pit stops then in the final stint ended up having a great little fight for 8th with a Russian in a Merc. 'That' opportunity on the other thread almost presented itself again going into the final lap, the Russian stayed tight to the wall though, and having tried a cut back through T4 on L19, I tried around the outside on L20 and may have made it stick but for a little nudge off track. After that it was more about keeping it tidy and not losing 9th than trying to take 8th, I was just relieved I didn't get a penalty for track limits which would have likely cost me two places

9th for 205 pts, shame I wasn't door #1 in the split below!!

Last edited:
Back