2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I ran the 20:40 slot yesterday and wasn't expecting much, I have a car that's considered top at Le Mans but couldn't really capitalise on it.
I had one qualify run and started p8 with door 2.

A relative un-eventful race accept for one guy in a RSR.
I realize he has no way of passing me on any straight when I am in the GT, but I still got pretty annoyed when he just stuffed it up the inside in Indianapolis to the point of pushing me out of track. I didn't get any track limit pens but fishtailed because I was off track.

It kind of set my feelings about the guy.
Well, anyway on lap 7 I pass him between the two chicanes on the Mulsane straight.
Again he barges up the inside, makes contact and then he makes his one move on the straight after. Then I try to pass, he dives in front. Then coming down to the braking zone He moves again.

And then comes the part I am somewhat in regret about. I tapped him in the brake zone.
He went off, I got a 1 second penalty.
I felt he attained the spot illegal so I was ok doing it at the time, but he was clearly not in agreement in post chat. He called me a pig and a noob.
Here is the video, you judge...

Anyway, he lost one position and came in 4th instead of 3.

If you are here on GTP I would love to have a discussion about this, your move and mine.
View attachment 1010632

My take is that the move through the chicane was very enthusiastic but not necessarily much more. I’d write it off as a racing incident BUT, the swerve block to the grass was dirty. That’s not on under any circumstances when you’re that close. If he wanted the inside into Mulsanne he should have moved across earlier and held his line to force you to pass outside.

It’s that swerve block that created the trouble at Mulsanne because without it you’re entering Mulsanne side by side and it becomes a battle of braking and corner exit. I also think that if he can carry the speed he does through the second chicane, there’s no reason for him to be braking so hard so early into Mulsanne.

Verdict: No action. The outcome was reflective of appropriate driving on your part.

Sure, I could have bump drafted him, did that to a GT-R earlier, he swerves away and flashed me violently. And I wasn't in the mood for helping this guy... Also, last lap.
Fair point!
In post chat he called that his "one allowed move on the straight".
Haha, yeah one move. Not one move after another. Unfortunately some people don't understand the concept completely.

Not sure if it's because of the camera perspective, but the move at the chicane looked 50/50 to me. He'd have an overspeed with slipstream and you seemed a bit slower through there than you could have been. I probably would have moved to the left rather than the right if I was braking in that situation but even though he went in fast, you weren't knocked out of position that much.

"one move on the straight" is obviously nonsense when you jerk across suddenly like that when your car is about an inch away from being alongside. He wasn't as bad as the clown in the BMW I dealt with in my first race who got what he deserved in the same place, but I think someone who makes one move like that is liable to make as many of them as they can, so if you didn't collide there it would have happened somewhere else on the lap.

tldr- first move clumsy but probably okay, second move stupid, your move a bit unnecessary since you'd probably be able to bait him into a mistake before the end of the lap. I wouldn't worry about it.

2021 FIA Manu Round 4 - Le Mans
Slot 1 DR A+/A SR S lobby

I dont know about y'all, but I was tiptoeing around all race to avoid a penalty. I was driving tight and it showed. Qualified with a 3:57.9xx. It was good for p4 but l left a lot out there.

The race was about as I expected, a lot of penalties, dodgy moves with plenty of net lag thrown in, and few people that wanted to work with you. So, I took advantage of all 3. I just hung on whoever's bumper was in front of mine until they got a penalty. Then moved on! Lol.

Keeping my wit about me saved me on lap 3 or 4 as a missile was shot across my bow followed by a sketchy bump draft a few feet from the braking zone. I was the group leader for half a lap and was almost murdered twice. Practice in the slip paid off, I felt prepared for about anything.

My lap times were below par, but keeping it clean allowed me to pick up a couple spots and land on the podium! Got 219 points and 2500 DR.

Well this one and done was wild. Had to do 2nd slot since we were out to dinner for my mother's birthday. I felt pretty confident since I watched @Tidgney 's video on Le Mans penalties and kind of treated it like iracing (centerline of the car around the white line on most corners). So qualy was decent. Had someone behind me I was hoping would push me but just stayed there. Qualfiied 9th. Then the race. I was pretty alone in the beginning not having any draft. Then I got to the corvette. Then magically @Pigems appeared from something that happened (which watching the vid above now makes sense. I did about a lap and then I realized hmmm maybe if I slow up and get him in my slip we can work together. Sure enough it worked a treat. We were catching these two Brazilians that for whatever reason were battling each other instead of working together like Pigems and I. We caught up to them. The mecca had a horrible exit of the last Ford chicane but somehow decided to block me and almost put me in the grass? So this made my decision that when I caught up to them to work with the Merc and not the Mecca. Last lap all hell broke loose lol. Remembering how much of not a nice person the Mecca was I did a bold move down Tetra Rouge, risking losing the slip of the Merc ahead. Instead I still got a great run, passed the Mecca and pushed the Merc. I then bided my time and waited until Mulsanne Corner to make my move. Got in his slip and then pulled away the last second, knowing it would be hard to pass from Indy through the lap. From 9th the 3rd I was pumped. But I have to give all the credit to Pigems. He helped me out big time working together and bringing me up there, and couldn't have done it without him! So thank you Pigems. You're an ace guy!

Hi!!! I was in the orange Mercedes… pissed as hell with that DNA driver for not working together and allowing you to catch up LOL.
Thanks for the clean race! I got a penalty when all that hell broke loose and got home P5 with 235 points.
So, happy with that!

That was a fun race at Le Mans yesterday. Qualified pole until the end when someone pipped me by 0.7 seconds which I wouldn't have lost if it wasn't for two slow cars holding me up, but then it must be impossible to have a clean lap round here so I was glad not to be caught in a mess which the constant left right left right turns up to the first straight encourage.

Started on Mediums and got into 1st for a bit, but since I hardly do this track in Gr3 there were a couple of braking points I was a bit early on so I never built any lead. I did 5 laps Medium and lost the lead shortly before pitting anyway to someone who deserved to be ahead, who did 6 laps on M and eventually won. I lost confidence on the last lap of M and it all went a bit sideways. Make that very sideways. Getting onto fresh hards was not really too bad by then.

I was still in 2nd before making a stupid mistake, before the 1st chicane on the Hunaudieres straight I was distracted by my own thoughts and thought I was before the 2nd chicane, and was on the right side of the track before realising too late where I really was, and went straight over the sand only to be reset and given a huge penalty of 4 seconds (one or the other would have been fair, but my mistake and if you mess up might as well make it spectacular!).

I cleared the penalty, lost a place and could see the 4th place car eating into the time I had built up over them in the first half. The 4th place car is the one that had pipped me to pole, and had been looming one or two cars back all race but did the reverse strat to me. And they were now on fresh Mediums and I was on Hards. Knowing all things being equal they were at least as quick as I was. I thought I had had it. Indeed they caught up as I crawled round the Hunaudieres chicanes on the last lap avoiding penalties and also avoiding a decent top speed on the inbetweens.

They were only slightly ahead when they decided to extend the straight past Mulsanne to the disgust of the crash barriers. I almost went off rubbernecking in excitement and slid the back end over the outside kerb only just avoiding the sand myself. Their recovery was slow, but I was not out of the woods yet. Literally, as I bombed along the tree lined road to Indianapolis. Fuel indicator flashing and the car feeling sluggish (is this in my head? did I short shift?) the seconds increased slowly and I had a tiny buffer but the car behind had lost it again, the time gap shoots up, and I knew I just had to bring it home. Finished 3rd, which became 2nd as the other guy didn't use Hard tyres.

I had a fairly good clean quali session, qualified on pole and then 'plebed' it and lost the back end after the 1st chicane, 2nd and 3rd came by, and then on lap 2 I caught back up the the chap in 2nd after he'd picked up a penalty going through Tetre Rouge, he was also in a Jag and we worked together for a while with some Bump drafting, but the guy in 1st was still pulling away. I moved into 2nd and gradually pulled away from the other Jag, as his pace was a little slower than mine....

By the end of the race the guy in 1st was around 10 seconds in front which I was a little surprised at, as my pace was pretty good.
All became clear at the end when he got a 1 min Penalty as he'd been on Mediums the entire race! :D

2v2aEC49Lx2p3Yi.jpg

I'll start by saying I'm not a huge fan of La Sarthe, and therefore am not particularly good there.
Entered the second slot and landed in a C/S lobby with the main hope for a lag free and penalty free race. Qualifying was reasonably uneventful and I started 3rd, just out of the chicane. Commiserations to the guy who started 4th. Unlike when I watched some of Tidgney's stream earlier, people at DR C do not help each other by bump drafting, and for the most part are not consistent enough to do so anyway. Made up the spots to 1st via penalties, but on lap 2 I braked a little late at the end of the Mulsanne and went into the gravel. Despite only going in about a car length, I lost 20 sec spinning around on the spot, to the point that the game flashed a DQ warning. A reset to the track would have been more helpful. Anyway, the field had spread out enough that I was still only 12th or so. Put my head down and did several penalty free laps and passed a bunch of people serving penalties or pitting to the point that I was 4th heading down the Mulsanne on lap 6 - disconnected! :banghead:

I guess I'm staying up for an 11pm slot to get a score on the board... Another uneventful quali got me 2nd this time and once again, bump drafting is not a thing. Got passed before the first Mulsanne chicane by a guy due to serve a 1 sec penalty immediately after. Main problem was that he passed me and immediately cut back in front and jumped on the brakes. I tapped him hard enough that he missed the middle apex of the chicane. I slowed enough to let him back alongside before he served his penalty and I took off, with my 2 second penalty to be served in the next zone. I got passed by a couple more folks as a result and got shuffled down to 8th by the end of the lap. It all kicked off again on the Mulsanne on lap 2 with people fighting like it was the last lap. It was 3 wide and 2 deep approaching the second chicane. As the inside of the 2nd row, I backed off and gained a spot in the mess. Happy days until I clipped the wall coming out of Arnage, spinning me and costing about 10 sec. Head down again and laps 3-7 were all within 2 sec of each other to get back to 3rd place, frustratingly 10 sec off the winner.

Still only 32 points because new account that is only used for FIA races. I'm not particularly fast at Gr3 anyway, so would have been blown away by a lobby of high B drivers that my main account would have matched with. Going to be interesting to see how Sardgena goes - looks like mandatory stint on RH, but RS is allowed.

Ah, the RS, RS, she is the most beautiful car there is and equally deadly. Wants to kill you every chance she gets.

I hope you've also got your eye on some GR4 races, you'll need them.
From having used her in the last season I can say it's a car you have to get used to and most people don't have time for it. I got some good results in it last time out and it is actually a lot better than most people give it credit for. She is a lot tamer than the Lambo I'm in at the moment.

I almost forgot, I had the most inept punt attempt in my first run last night.

A tip for whoever it was, if you want to punt me into the second chicane on the straight, don't try and barge me off the track all the way down the straight because a) I'm in a Lexus, you ain't moving it and b) I know what's coming... A quick move off the racing line just before the braking zone and off he sailed into the sandbox. :dunce:
We need a video. I could do with a laugh.

I ran the 20:40 slot yesterday and wasn't expecting much, I have a car that's considered top at Le Mans but couldn't really capitalise on it.
I had one qualify run and started p8 with door 2.

A relative un-eventful race accept for one guy in a RSR.
I realize he has no way of passing me on any straight when I am in the GT, but I still got pretty annoyed when he just stuffed it up the inside in Indianapolis to the point of pushing me out of track. I didn't get any track limit pens but fishtailed because I was off track.

It kind of set my feelings about the guy.
Well, anyway on lap 7 I pass him between the two chicanes on the Mulsane straight.
Again he barges up the inside, makes contact and then he makes his one move on the straight after. Then I try to pass, he dives in front. Then coming down to the braking zone He moves again.

And then comes the part I am somewhat in regret about. I tapped him in the brake zone.
He went off, I got a 1 second penalty.
I felt he attained the spot illegal so I was ok doing it at the time, but he was clearly not in agreement in post chat. He called me a pig and a noob.
Here is the video, you judge...

Anyway, he lost one position and came in 4th instead of 3.

If you are here on GTP I would love to have a discussion about this, your move and mine.
View attachment 1010632

Initial assessment was his move was opportunistic using the superior brakes and cornering of the 911. But his move on the straight was less than fair. I'd have done the same to be honest. (As in your show of disgust not the swerve.)

FIA Manufacturers Series at Lemans:

Got disconnected before lobby in first slot. That's never happened before.

Was going to sit it out after that, but ended up running in the third slot. I was not expecting much because I was miserably off the pace in the Porsche here, unable to crack under the 4:00 lap time in FP.

Qualified 17th without any benefit of a tow.

Ran up a few spots in the opening laps, would have been up a bit more but a Corvette that was driving like a hoonigan off every turn inadvertently blocked me by fishtailing it off every turn for a lap and a half, meaning the idea to keep the draft pack was lost. Then was punted by a guy who completely blew it into Indianapolis... race was effectively over when I ended up in the sand trap there. Ran the remaining 4 or 5 laps struggling to do anything.

I swear I've got a lemon of a Porsche this season. Watching people pull me on the straights, even when I'm within the slipstream, it's just infuriating at a race like this. Even another Porsche was able to close 2 sec a lap on me, twice or three times, as he got penalties... he still caught me within a lap and pulled away from me.

Also frustrating to see that people (as usual) don't know how to work together to help us both do better... getting raced hard into each chicane, even in marginal runs, instead of bump-drafting us both up to the pack so that we can work up from there... :irked: (and when it's the same guy that pile-drove you into the sand at Indianapolis... even worse).

Not a fun race at all. Cost me 1200 DR and only gathered throwaway FIA points. Should have sat that one out, but that's not my style, to cherry-pick the races.

Hi!!! I was in the orange Mercedes… pissed as hell with that DNA driver for not working together and allowing you to catch up LOL.
Thanks for the clean race! I got a penalty when all that hell broke loose and got home P5 with 235 points.
So, happy with that!

I know. Some people just don't understand the long track game. Anyways, yeah when he blocked me from being 10mph slower and almost put me in the grass I was going to make him sleep in the bed he just made. Regardless, great racing with you. Sorry about the slight bump into Mulsanne corner. I was trying to keep a gap just incase he retaliated but it was just a fraction too late and slightly bumped you. Glad it didn't affect our exit out of there. If you need a push in the future I got you! :cheers:

Last edited:
Well that was fun yesterday.... lots of familiar names in my lobbies, great to see you all. Decided to fool around and try last to first on the first slot and was doing well, moved up towards top 5 by lap 5 then got taken out by someone coming back on to the track :banghead:

Second slot I decided to see just how bad the one stop was and it was really bad only managed to get 7th or so after 10+ second gap entire race.

Onto the third slot and I decided to try hard and ended up with two second penalty on my qualifying lap :lol: somehow managed to start second behind an F-Type followed by a Corvette behind me.

We instantly broke away 6+ seconds down straight on lap 1 and I decided to have some fun and go for lead early instead of working together. Found myself in a 2 vs 1 situation early on as these two were bumping each other but but not me. Eventually I was able to break away around lap 5 and cruise to victory. That was a lot of fun back and fourth action all clean racing side by side.

Dunlop chicane can go to hell though it got to point I was getting penalty for looking at the kerbs so late in race I had to avoid it completely :confused:

Ended the week #8 in the Americas on the leaderboards and cruised to my highest point total to date of 290! :cheers:

20210513_093954.jpg

8079472096242075152_0.jpg

PS_App_20210513_032100.jpeg

Well that was fun yesterday.... lots of familiar names in my lobbies, great to see you all. Decided to fool around and try last to first on the first slot and was doing well, moved up towards top 5 by lap 5 then got taken out by someone coming back on to the track :banghead:

Second slot I decided to see just how bad the one stop was and it was really bad only managed to get 7th or so after 10+ second gap entire race.

Onto the third slot and I decided to try hard and ended up with two second penalty on my qualifying lap :lol: somehow managed to start second behind an F-Type followed by a Corvette behind me.

We instantly broke away 6+ seconds down straight on lap 1 and I decided to have some fun and go for lead early instead of working together. Found myself in a 2 vs 1 situation early on as these two were bumping each other but but not me. Eventually I was able to break away around lap 5 and cruise to victory. That was a lot of fun back and fourth action all clean racing side by side.

Dunlop chicane can go to hell though it got to point I was getting penalty for looking at the kerbs so late in race I had to avoid it completely :confused:

Ended the week #8 in the Americas on the leaderboards and cruised to my highest point total to date of 290! :cheers:

View attachment 1010685
View attachment 1010683
View attachment 1010684
So thrilled for you, bud. Congrats on your victory and Americas FP ranking! Sounds like the third race was a lot of fun as well from your description. :cheers:

View attachment 1010685
View attachment 1010683
View attachment 1010684
Well done! World tour next I think.

First try yesterday was perfect , position 4 on the grid ...... and like i've writen in the upper post , i've forgot to change the Hard tires before the race.

Second try ...... desconnected from the servers.

Third try , 1H30 AM. Much more late that i normally sleep. I did a lot of stupids mistakes , much more than i normally do. Back to the end of the race , lot of DR lost and very weak ponctuation.

Next nation cup , i love suzuka , i hope i will do welll there and have a lot of pleasure. See you on track. :)👍👍;)

Last edited:
Wow, congrats!! 👍:gtpflag:

So thrilled for you, bud. Congrats on your victory and Americas FP ranking! Sounds like the third race was a lot of fun as well from your description. :cheers:

Well done! World tour next I think.

Thanks y'all! I definitely put in the work for this one and grinding way too many miles but it paid off.

I'm still relatively slow compared to the other regions :lol: I know your run in the WRX night day difference between your run in the GT last year when I was taking notes from you. :bowdown:

Well after 2 races getting punted and getting bad results I decided to go again. Lots of bad drivers so I dropped to back and ignored slipstream trying to just get a clean quali. Did OK Q6 from door 15. Fairly decent race with just one idiot to cope with, thought I was going to get about 5th, but everyone in front pitted and got an easy win :lol:.
Went to the US to try again and quali was a bit spoiled by picking up a pen cos I hit a spinner (slowed me too) at the first chicane on the straight. Still managed to get Q2 behind a guy who was about my pace. Another quiet race, 3 of us fighting for 1st 3rd stupidly fighting so we dropped behind the leader till 3rd made an early pit stop on 4. Was 10 secs behind now and thought that's it as we were lapping about the same pace although I had fastest lap and then on lap 6 he pits and another easy win.
So 2 FIA wins, but nothing really to brag about. Getting my DR up and hoping for 20K by next round, but it's hard to keep calm when idiots just shove you out of the way.

GT Planet training session's are getting there

Again we had a lovely race today. 2 people showed up and another joined after. Tomorrow being a friday I can probably host some more sessions later in the evening but will try to start one on 20 pm CEST as well. Others will be a lot later think 23 hours or after. So maybe some American friends will join as well? The time difference between Continental Europe and New York is 6 hours.

Maybe see you tomorrow!

GT Planet training session's are getting there

Again we had a lovely race today. 2 people showed up and another joined after. Tomorrow being a friday I can probably host some more sessions later in the evening but will try to start one on 20 pm CEST as well. Others will be a lot later think 23 hours or after. So maybe some American friends will join as well? The time difference between Continental Europe and New York is 6 hours.

Maybe see you tomorrow!

I will try my best. So 1400 or so on the East Coast of America?

But I am once again in a situation where I feel a little tainted after the race.
Did I think he deserved it? Yes. Was it worth it for a measly few points? No

It's easy to see that you didn't make contact intentionally. You were off the throttle & braking earlier than I normally would at that corner. It also appears that he was on the brakes longer than I expected. If likely could have already been off the brakes & coasted into the corner & been on the throttle. Regardless, I don't believe that you should feel tainted with your finishing position.

Technically, yes, because some splits were completely disconnected on matchmaking.

I was watching some of the higher split streams, and it looked like the lag was even worse than before, making it really difficult to know exactly where they are.

Ugh. I skipped it entirely because of lag, I was hoping it was better. Thanks Mistah MCA!

It sounds like fewer lag complaints this round in the Americas servers?
I did the last three slots, all top split:

Slot 3: Laggy and came into race cold. Poor result as expected.

Slot 4: The entire slot sent into the Twilight Zone. No one got to race

Slot 5: Only major lag was when the first driver set a lap in qualifying. Of course, it lagged right as I entered the final chicanes and completely ruined my lap. Got stuck in pointless battling and was pushed off by the same driver twice and without penalty.

Also of major note: much of Slot 2 disconnected. Those that raced there got big points because of it.

The easy thing to do is blame PD/Sony but I will play devil's advocate and say the alien drivers has been complaining loudly to combine the regions for Manufacturers. I just had this bad feeling that, given the vast increase in competition between the regions over the years and the increase in internet traffic due to the pandemic, this was going to cause chaos.

Last edited:
Back