2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Used my A/S TT account. Left late and still caught cars recovering after going off track. Was Pole and then pipped by .3 seconds. Was up and that’s when I caught the other cars. Just lovely. Had to settle for P2.

Citroen, Me, RC F. Start was fine. T1, the RC F nearly taps me. Citroen goes off after a couple turns. Let’s me pass after the second chicane. Lead for the first 10 laps.
Tyre wear setting in and the RC F is coming from 2 seconds behind. Passes me and Im managing a 6 second gap to the P3 Huracan and P4 NSX. Lap 14, Huracan goes by. 3 seconds and 4 laps left. NSX goes by Lap 19. RC F is in sight and getting closer. NSX Passes and I pass quickly after. It‘s on fumes.
Pole sitter passes the RC F before the finish.
Hadn’t used the TT since the race at Sardegna. Think these points place me P1 in my area. Will be in the SLS next. Hope fuel is decent.

Edit: Wow! Not expected to get Pole. Lead a Genesis and Viper. Took T1 easy and still nearly spun. P2 backed off to let me recover. Next chicane, took it easy again and STILL nearly binned it! P2 again let me recover. Tyres up to temp and P2 remained about 1-2 seconds behind. I think it may have stumbled(will have to look at the replay) and started to lose ground.
Started to pull away from Lap 10. Watched the splits and changes of position with the Viper P2.
Genesis dropped down to 4th with an edit: 458 P3. M4 P4. They ran like that for the rest of the race.

No fuel concerns in the SLS and it was strong in top speed and the chicanes. However, Viper was gaining slightly. Still had between 9-10 seconds. Dropped to about 8 seconds and the Viper drops to 4th on the last lap!
Cross the line and watch the times. Genesis pips the edit: 458, at the line by about .1 seconds.
Keep watching the times and next SLS(P15) finishes P6 from mid-pack. Third SLS(started P18) and A Vantage swap positions multiple times in the final corners. Amazing to see the positions change that much. Vantage pips the SLS for 11th, by .002!

Last edited:
Slot 2 in Manu and boy am I angry afterwards. I have good pace in the Vantage and my practice has seen me hanging with guys above my level. Qualy was so-so I ran on my own to avoid traffic. Q11.

Got through T1 and settled in p10. First time through Ascari I get some weird oversteer that has never happened before and lose some places. Minor damage overall. I start making my way back through a tightly packed field and by lap 4 I’m back to p13 and got on the heels of the train to p4. A couple ahead serve penalties and move to opposite sides of the track. I weave through on the run to Ascari. A Cayman follows me and then, for no good reason, it brakes late and pushes me wide at the entry. The car behind it then finishes the job and I end up in the sand. By the time I get out I’ve lost 10 seconds and am second last. Race over.

I eventually catch and pass the Cayman and a couple of others who go off but finish p16. Just an absolute pile of junk.

PD, why is it that I can slightly cut a corner for no benefit and get a 1.5 second penalty, but someone can literally run me off the road for no consequence? Utter madness.

I might fo again if my blood pressure drops sufficiently.

Last edited:
Hello racers!

I’m new here. But I’ve been a reader of the boards for a year or two.

Anyone else here drive for Peugote?
Todays Monza seem to me a copy of last years and there seem to be a problem/bug for this race with the RCZ. The rear right tyre gets colder for each lap, even though I’m on BB +5. So that after 3-4 laps the 2nd chicane turning left becomes nearly impossible without spinning out. I believe this to be a bug and not just uneven tyre wear since the rear right gets cold even in FP. Anyone else? Any ideas for a workaround?

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210904155814.jpg

Threw away 4th and my best ever score. Had a 3.5 second lead over the Jag in 5th and went wide on the exit of the first chicane on the last lap. Ended up getting beaten to the line by 0.004 seconds. Gutted.

I think I’m going to stop doing Manu. The standard of driving in Asian A/S lobbies is utterly disgusting. If you can be punted 6 times in 3 races without any ramifications for the punters then it’s a pointless waste of time. Even allowing for the Monza effect, tonight was heinous.

Nations and dailies is a much better experience at the moment.

PD’s decision to switch off contact penalties has destroyed the fun of FIA.

3E8340E8-7221-421A-8684-A23309701FE0.jpeg

Pretty happy with that but again, can’t help but feel a bit disappointed as I could have had a podium!

Was thinking of skipping this race but putting in a 1:56.8 in practice made me think I might be able to get an ok result. My aim was a top 10 which would have improved my points. Qualified 7th so felt confident of that top 10 if I could get though T1 cleanly. Luckily I had a 4C behind me so by the time I reached T1 I had a 1 second gap :lol:

Was driving well and had moved up into 3rd place by lap 3, sat behind an RCF and M4:

8EEBE694-D3A2-4A8E-BAA6-6A3E0E38A9CB.jpeg

By now I was thinking I had a good shout for podium. Was comfortable all the way to lap 8 when an Aston forced past at T1He then cut the corner at the second chicane and I stupidly followed his exact line and we both got a 1 second pen. This enabled the group of 4 cars that were out our slip to catch. Then on lap 11 a Jag went for a move down the inside at Lesmo and a Ferrari was late braking and hit the back of the Jag pushing it into me, knocking me into the gravel. I fell back to 8th but managed to get a couple of places back by the end. Apart from that, was a good race and 40 minutes didn’t feel as bad as I thought it would. :)

0E61F56D-69BA-40AC-B4BB-F6FDDDC7C644.jpeg

Edit: I’ve been playing this game for a long time now and only just discovered by accident, just before the matchmaking screen that when you press up on the ‘Session Best’ hud, it changes to ‘Car Record’ :embarrassed::lol:

Door no.6, finished 6th. Top marks to PD’s rank calculations!

Last edited:
Hello racers!

I’m new here. But I’ve been a reader of the boards for a year or two.

Anyone else here drive for Peugote?
Todays Monza seem to me a copy of last years and there seem to be a problem/bug for this race with the RCZ. The rear right tyre gets colder for each lap, even though I’m on BB +5. So that after 3-4 laps the 2nd chicane turning left becomes nearly impossible without spinning out. I believe this to be a bug and not just uneven tyre wear since the rear right gets cold even in FP. Anyone else? Any ideas for a workaround?
Welcome!
Can't help you with you're question though. Drove Peugeot for several seasons (switched to Citroen recently) but never experienced this issue. The RCZ is very bad on tyrewear so think that is most likely the issue?
Good luck with your race!!

A boring race this which is exactly what I wanted.

Door 9
First lap yielded an initial 6th. But I felt like I mucked up the first half of the lap.
Lap 2 was purple in the first 2 sectors. Crossed the line P2 on the grid 0.2 away from pole.

Lap 1 and me and P1 pull away from the pack out of the Rettafilio. We don't see them again. P1 pulls away in their Ferrari. Though they get 3 track limit penalties. The clear air means I can concentrate on my own race and fuel save here and there. I cross the line P2 for 100 points.

20210904_183809.jpg

The Tifosi will be happy with the result. An Italian in a Ferrari P1. Lambo P2 and another Ferrari P3.

Almost got a slipstream at the end of my first lap but the driver messed up at Ascari so I was on my own for 2 laps but still managed to qualify P10
Was in a battle for 8th for most of the race but for the 2nd half of the race was held up by a Lexus, else I think I could've caught up to the guy in 6th. In the end was P10 after a pushed the guy in front wide and let off so they kept the position.
The result should've been better but the race went better than I expected and I enjoyed it as well so can't complain too much
17bb1e70b5d-de513DA5FFD3E028F0C.303E2748B5B5F40F_message_417478975490500_1630777248009.jpg
17bb1e72231-de513DA5FFD3E028F0C.303E2748B5B5F40F_message_417478976947400_1630777253700.jpg
17bb1e732f8-de513DA5FFD3E028F0C.303E2748B5B5F40F_message_417478978726965_1630777260652.jpg

Got everything crossed, so this will go smoothly. Not quite as smooth in the Aston as the Jag, but not that much slower so should be OK if I can get a race and not a free for all. Not even sure how bad fuel is for this car as it's usually a bit behind the Jag or is that the GR.3? Should really pay more attention and/or just write stuff down.
So D17 of 19 gets me Q2 (getting a bad deja vu feeling) well fuel was easy anyway.
First chicane and pole forgets to brake I am clean and no probs. Lead for a few laps then get a stupid track limit (guy was blind) into 2nd with a 3 sec gap to 3rd, but now we're going slower. It takes a couple of laps to pass him then he makes a mistake and quits. So everything going well till lap 12 when I get another pen and lose position again. Lap or 2 later he gets a pen and I pass, then he rams me (really think it was a mistake, I brake early coming into Ascari but he should have known that we had been close for 7-8 laps by then) I lose a bit of time and he goes off so I have an 8 sec lead with 6 to go. Never in doubt after that.
That was a much better race, nothing dirty and enough competition that I couldn't relax.

Slot 1: Was put into Split 3 (I think?) with @Geauxgreddy and qualified P3. I briefly got up to 2nd after the polesitter went too deep into the 2nd chicane on the opening lap and caused a massive stack up, but he immediately got past me and back into P3. P4 made a move as well into T1 a few laps later and put me back to P4. Eventually P3-P6 were in a loosely-coupled train that would sometimes close up and sometimes spread out for pretty much the rest of the race. Eventually P2 fell back on the back straight between the Lesmos and Ascari for some reason, and fell to P3 briefly before retaking P2 into T1 the following lap. This caused another stack up and allowed @Geauxgreddy and someone else in a Lexus to catch back up after they'd fallen out of my slipstream. I decided with 3 laps left that I had to go for 3rd or I'd risk falling to 5th or 6th once the other cars started to make moves, so I made the move going into T1 and surprisingly made it stick for the rest of the race and even built a gap of a couple seconds, finishing roughly 5s behind the winner, and 1s behind 2nd, with @Geauxgreddy bringing home 4th. In addition to being my best result both in terms of position and points this season, I also qualified and finished best of the 5(!) Corvettes in this race. The game even gave me an extra point for a final tally of 258 points after I exited the lobby.
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210904175710.jpg

Last edited:
I missed the last few rounds due to work stuff and the throttle potentiometer on my G29 spiking badly, no cleaning would fully fix it anymore. Last week, installed hall magnetic sensors on throttle and brake, plus I also bought the progressive brake spring (like the one in the G923). Back to FIA today with the Jag.

Americas Slot 2. Door #3 on a 202-point lobby. Lost the first qualy lap due to a guy picking up dirt on his tyres and going wide right in front of me. Second hotlap, without any slip, was good enough for P6, despite losing time in the 2nd sector. Without that mistake, I would have started P3.

In the race, I did some short-shifting to save fuel, specially when I had slipstream, and tried to work together with the guys ahead while saving fuel and tyres, with the top 7 building a big gap to everyone behind. Luckily, it was enjoyable and clean racing. Conservative approach paid off as a few guys ended up spinning or picking up penalties, eventually moving up to P3.

I then lost a bit of time behind a Scirocco, who seemed to be struggling with his front tyres, but wasn't easy to overtake. I eventually did, but the leader had broken away by around 4 secs. With good tyres and fuel to go to the end, I tried to hunt him down, but picked up a 0.5s penalty for cutting the second chicane, which obviously didn't help.

In the end, I closed the gap to 2 secs, but didn't manage to catch him in time. Still, very happy with the P2 finish and my best points haul of the season (and one of my best overall). :cheers:

17bb31e92a2-5b4294141C10A8DE92C.616336880E6EF7E3_message_417484210017163_1630797695379_0.jpg

It wasnt fun tonight. Did 4 slots out of 5 in DR A lobbies, but the 86 just couldn't do it. Last one was my best attempt. Unfortunately, went from 7th to 14th after being punted off the track and by the same way, getting an off-track penalty.😤. Very frustrating. 90 points tonight that won't count towards my final score. Meh. Time to move on.

Thanks to al the clean racers. Cheers and stay safe:cheers:

Slot 1
2021 FIA Manufacturers Round 7 - Monza
A+/S Lobby
Door #20

Lobby opened up and who do I see, @GTWolverine in the lobby! A friendly name at last. Jump out in qualifying and unfortunately set about the worst qualifying lap I've put down in a few days. Entered the start of the race as p6 with a 1:57.5xx.

In the practice lobbies I was on fire, so I didn't get much practice in slip stream. This would prove to be my downfall. I was extra cautious as I didn't want to ruin anyone's race. But, I was trying not to be so cautious as to fall back. Thats a difficult balance, LOL. Honestly, I was shocked how clean the racing was up front. No penalties, very few mistakes, even less big mistakes. As @GTWolverine said, only Chromaticaboi, our pole sitter, seemed to make any real mistakes, but he recovered well.

For some strange reason, Ascari was giving me fits tonight. Lost the slip about 3 times there. Did manage to catch @GTWolverine around lap 15 and bumped him towards p3 hoping to get a shot at the podium. But, he was just too quick and pulled away after he and I got by the Viper. Did end up with an exciting finish and I really enjoyed the race. Finished p4 with 245 points. I didn't get the bonus point that @GTWolverine got, so not sure who I need to petition. LOL. ;)

Slot 1
2021 FIA Manufacturers Round 7 - Monza
A+/S Lobby
Door #20

Lobby opened up and who do I see, @GTWolverine in the lobby! A friendly name at last. Jump out in qualifying and unfortunately set about the worst qualifying lap I've put down in a few days. Entered the start of the race as p6 with a 1:57.5xx.

In the practice lobbies I was on fire, so I didn't get much practice in slip stream. This would prove to be my downfall. I was extra cautious as I didn't want to ruin anyone's race. But, I was trying not to be so cautious as to fall back. Thats a difficult balance, LOL. Honestly, I was shocked how clean the racing was up front. No penalties, very few mistakes, even less big mistakes. As @GTWolverine said, only Chromaticaboi, our pole sitter, seemed to make any real mistakes, but he recovered well.

For some strange reason, Ascari was giving me fits tonight. Lost the slip about 3 times there. Did manage to catch @GTWolverine around lap 15 and bumped him towards p3 hoping to get a shot at the podium. But, he was just too quick and pulled away after he and I got by the Viper. Did end up with an exciting finish and I really enjoyed the race. Finished p4 with 245 points. I didn't get the bonus point that @GTWolverine got, so not sure who I need to petition. LOL. ;)

I see the same lag spike happened to you on Lap 11. I also saw you and Chromatica_Boi drive off track at Curva Grande and my heart sank because I've seen that happen before and it's usually right before I get disconnected. Then you both popped back on track so I was able to breathe again. :lol:

That could've been so much worse had we all been closer together entering the 2nd chicane when we all popped back in front of each other...

Last edited:
Qualified 14th at Monza in the Porsche with no tow.

dropped a wheel out of Lesmos 1 and binned it. Never did that in this game ever.

cold hard tires on the Cayman and no practice meant a terrible race. 17th after some quits and one FF struggled to limp home on worn tire.
Seems like that last BOP really hurt the Cayman's chances on the speed tracks. Kudos for giving it a go.

While I rolled my eyes at some people and their "typical race craft" which I gave them my 2 cents at the end. Wasn't too bad of a race. Qualified 9th-10thish and following Kie's one video about anticipating moves and mishaps I tried my best. There was an instance I went wide and was given no room and put into the gravel (twice) but it was brief and I had enough of a gap behind it didn't hinder me too much. In typical fashion the Gr4 fell off a cliff towards the end of the race. Finished 7th. Seeing how long the race actually is and the odds of having another punt-eronni pizza ordered for me by Churizo Grande Pizza I called it a night. 242 was probably going to be the best I can manage. Just realized this race was almost 40min. No wonder why the Aston fell off a cliff!

Last edited:
NA/CSA Slot 1, A/S Lobby, 216 points, Door #13

Don’t have much to say about this one. I qualified P9 without slipstream, which was a bit worrisome since I was starting right in the middle. However, there were only minor turn 1 shenanigans, resulting in me grabbing 8th place.

From then on, I just focused on bump drafting whenever possible, short shifting, and not making mistakes. I did incur a 0.5 track cut penalty though, but it wasn't too detrimental. There was a Brazilian that qualified behind me who was also in a Mustang. We drove together for most of the race. Unfortunately, they ran out of fuel and fell way back by the end. I finished with exactly 1 lap of fuel left.

full

Another decent finish, even though I wasn't really motivated to put much practice into this round. Monza isn't one of my favorite tracks. I only really enjoy it when racing in fast cars. The race we had here in the Super Formulas last March was a lot of fun.

This was one of those races where I'm not hindered by lack of pace, but experience in racecraft. Especially during qualifying. I should have overtaken the slower car like I was passed earlier, but didn't want to cause trouble. During the race I had pace, but again lacked conviction when to overtake, be bold enough to take the opportunity and still be clean. All in all went from 10th to 15th due to people driving badly not malicious and then back up to 6th. But could have easily been 3rd with better qualifying and more assertive driving.

Some of you might have been wondering why I didn't report back on my run in Manufacturers last Saturday. For that, I am very sorry for the wait and would like to assure everyone in this thread that I am still doing okay.

The truth is that I managed to earn not only my highest points score across the entire 2021 FIA campaign to date, but also my joint-highest ever FIA points score under the current system. But it took me four tries to get there, and the first three turned out to be some of the most stressful, clumsy and demotivating lobby sessions I've had all year. Out of the remaining Gr.3 rounds, Brands was the one I was looking forward to the most. Test pace was promising with a 1:21.072 in Free Practice and a 32:06.941 in a lobby race on the 1-stop. So, how did it come to this? How come I left Brands feeling drained and questioning whether pushing myself for higher scores at my current level was worth it?

Let's investigate... and get ready, because this is going to be a long one....

15:00 Manufacturers
For the first attempt (door number 17), I was grouped with @Mohamed30_ who showed even more promise with an FP time of 1:20.656. Though I had trouble getting consistency in FP prior to matchmaking, I still felt confident enough that things would come together in the race depending on where I qualified.

In test lobbies, the best lap times I had set were a 1:21.519 and a 1:21.496 on brake balance -1, which were not far off my FP lap with no tyre multipliers. The staggered pit exit procedure, coupled with the need to shuffle in between surrounding traffic, meant that I didn't have much of a chance to take things easy on my out lap. Felt I lost a lot of time through the final sectors as I completed my first lap in 1:21.953, which I was pleased with at first as it meant I slotted into provisional 4th. Second lap started much more promisingly, the first three sectors flashing purple with gains of as much as 0.238 seconds through the beam at Surtees. Yet, for some reason I dropped off again through sectors 4 and 5, lapping just 3 thousandths off the initial flier.

Where did I start?

13th.

I was crushed. Mohamed30 had excelled as always by qualifying 3rd with a 1:21.576, but a time in the high-1:21.4/low-1:21.5 range was possible within my limits and would have easily put me ahead on the grid. And that was in a lobby where the top 3 finishing positions were worth over 300 points each!

The disappointment lingered with me right through to the start of the race, which was initially spent following the #9 Ford GT around while saving enough fuel to avoid topping up later. I was so wound up by my missed opportunity that I missed my braking point into Druids on Lap 2, pushing the GT wide and losing us valuable time to the pair scrapping in 10th. I kept behind him after that, as we inherited places through another car going off the road at Surtees. Saving fuel behind the Ford was easy enough, and while there wasn't much action before into the pit cycles I did gain another couple of places courtesy of incidents affecting the #11 and #4 Ferraris.

Pitted with 54% fuel left (having saved at least an extra lap's worth) and started the second stint by briefly holding off a top German driver in the #3 Viper. Lost out on power down Pilgrim's Drop, so that was 10th place secured for the time being. Up ahead, the orange #20 Hyundai Genesis is dropping back and a chance to fight him comes around on Laps 14-16. Dived past on the inside of Surtees for 9th, but got distracted and literally threw it away at the same corner two laps later. Had one last shot at redemption by fighting the #11 Ferrari towards the closing stages, but regained 11th anyway as a result of the #19 GRT Honda spinning at Dingle Dell. Fantastic job once again by Mohamed30 as he came home 2nd behind the winning Renault R.S.01 (now that's something I didn't expect to say about the Gr.3 version!).

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210828154930.png

Now I've given myself time to look back on it, the 15:00 wasn't a bad race by any means. Aside from the couple of errors mentioned, there were some nice passes and on the whole I managed to lap round consistently and cleanly enough. But the disappointment of qualifying soured my mood and would keep playing on my mind for the next couple of attempts. I knew deep down that I could get much more out of the WRX if I nailed everything, and initially the 16:20 looked set to be the one where everything would just work out.

16:20 Manufacturers
Ranked #16 in a full grid with much of the same roster as last time. Got a much better qualifying lap out of the gate (1:21.644), but found myself caught up in a couple of separate incidents involving other drivers. The first was contact with the #2 Portuguese Mercedes on the approach to Westfield during our first opening lap. Braked early to preserve my tyres and let him fly up on the inside, but ended up getting rammed by mistake as the Portuguese driver did not recognise that I was pulling over. The second incident happened on my other out lap, where I noticed the #6 Porsche making rapid gains on me up until he spun off, again at Westfield. I suspected he was on a flier, and those suspicions turned out to be correct when he complained to me in lobby chat that I was in his way. Apologised for both incidents at the earliest opportunity.

Started a more encouraging 5th behind the #5 Ferrari, which I was forced to battle with early on as he got crossed up after touching the outside grass at Graham Hill Bend. This hurt my fuel consumption a fair bit, but I made the move stick for 4th at Hawthorns and briefly built a decent bridge between myself, the Ferrari and almost everyone else close behind. 4th became 3rd as a result of the #17 Honda spinning (the second time in as many races for that particular GRT driver!). On Lap 5, the Ferrari steams back past down Pilgrim's Drop, but slides out of contention at Sheene, causing a bottleneck which hampers the #11 BMW M6. Knew by that stage that the M6 would be the second big threat along with the returning German Viper, but managed to hold both of them off until the pit stop on Lap 11.

54% fuel again, which was enough for the Scooby to get the jump on the Viper until he passed again on Lap 13. Though 5th still seemed to be in reach, the race would unravel after that. Lost two more places later the same lap when the #7 Ford made a move going into Clark, taking the #2 Mercedes with him. Next was the #6 Porsche on his recovery drive from the back, though there was some consolation in that we gained places through the Ford losing it out of Sheene. During this time, I managed to stick close enough to the #6 right until I went in too hot at Stirlings on Lap 22. That brought the #12 Oreca Viper into the fray, whom I spent the next lap fighting with for what was now 7th. The #12 got the venom down Pilgrim's Drop, but went wide and picked up a 0.5-second penalty. I had the run and hugged the inside down Dingle Dell. Side-by-side we go through Sheene; there's contact, and the Viper is in the gravel!

While this is going on, the unsighted #8 JPS Aston Martin ploughs into my rear end, and I let him through to compensate for his delay. At the time, I was beyond fed up with my decline and felt especially guilty for the move I pulled off on the #12. I thought he had received the penalty for his trip through the gravel, and it was not until checking through my onboard that it was actually handed out to him just beyond Hawthorns. Nevertheless, I decided to let the #12 back past on the final run through Graham Hill Bend, slotting quietly behind the #14 Union Jack Ferrari. Further delays between Hawthorns and Sheene - caused by the #1 Mazda which I assumed was recovering from an incident - gave the #7 Ford a chance to push me out of the top 10 altogether.

11th place it was... again.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210828170917.png

It started all so promisingly, but eventually, the agitation and disappointment took over once more. Only one point lost from the 15:00, yet the final result again left me wanting. I was especially puzzled by the fact that the game recognised me as the fastest Subaru entry at that point, despite scoring much fewer points here than Mohamed30 in the 15:00. Turns out that according to @Ashthebash, this lobby was actually the second split. Now that explains a lot....

19:00 Manufacturers
Gave myself some time out for an evening meal and a breather, before gathering my bearings for what was meant to be my final attempt in the 19:00. At this point, I was beginning to feel fatigued and at the point where the stress of earning maximum points was not worth souring my enjoyment over. Met @PirovacBoy with the intention of getting a more enjoyable race, though there were a couple of bad omens with the #6 seeding and a particularly feisty Frenchman from the two-strong Audi camp.

So, how did qualifying go?

A 1:22.064, then a spin at Surtees on my second out lap. That was it. As if I couldn't sink any lower, I'm starting 15th and a long way off my best. Top 3 times were a 1:21.395 by the GRT Honda (#13), a 1:21.621 by the #3 BMW M6 and a 1:21.716 by the other Audi (#8) - my time in the 16:20 would've still got me a top 5 start!

With my hopes for a decent finish seemingly snuffed out, the first two laps were spent catching up to the #4 Porsche which seemed to lose a lot of time braking for Paddock Hill Bend and Westfield. Had to go for a BTCC-style lunge up the inside of Paddock Hill on Lap 3, though there was contact as the #4 maintained his regular line regardless. It was in this race that I decided to take more liberties with fuel saving by revving higher on the straights, all while steadily climbing up to 12th through offs for the #10 Viper and the #13 Honda (again!). Still pitted with 53% fuel (though the menu said I had 54% once more) and by Lap 13 was running 9th behind the #7 Porsche and #18 Lexus. Set the fastest lap in the process and later took advantage of the Lexus running onto the grass at Sheen to take 8th on the road.

Only problem was that I also ran onto the grass at Sheene later on, which cost me two places along with a slide coming out of Stirlings. 10th it was. 187 points compared to the 192 of the 15:00, but I didn't care too much. A top 10 is a top 10, and normally I would've been happy with that finish at this level!

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210828194941.png

Thought to apologise to the #4 driver for the Lap 3 contact, but he left the lobby before I could send it to him. Despite the improved finish and the second 'Fastest driver for Subaru' award in a row, I recognised that I was still feeling frustrated, empty and prone to lapses of concentration in the state I was in. As such, I didn't feel inclined to enter the final slot, and was ready to leave it at that no matter how much I adore this car/track combo.

Then...

20:20 Manufacturers
...I somehow found the motivation to give it one last go in the 20:20. The mantra was that it wouldn't matter how well I did or what points I got, as long as I had some fun along the way. Entered with seconds to spare, feeling the most energised and positive I had been all evening. Matchmaking went without a hitch at my end.

Ranked #6 for the second time, qualified 5th with a 1:12.763 set on my first go. Already things were looking bright. Had to abort my second lap to avoid a multi-car incident at Sheene involving the 2nd and 3rd place starters (#14 Lexus and #13 Audi), losing enough momentum to potentially compromise the #18 Lexus following behind. Pulled over at Clearways to let the #18 through, though in any case I didn't lose out too much on what was a fantastic start.

Alternating between brake balances -1 and -2, the first stint was spent following the #13 around and not doing anything silly. Gained two places on the road via the #2 Supra and polesitting #9 Renault spinning out in separate incidents, all while gaining on the pink #14 car who inherited the lead to the end. My chance to attack the #13 came on Lap 11, when he went deep and lost momentum through Paddock Hill Bend. 2nd was the highest I would get for the entire slot, while fuel consumption was again good enough to pit with 54-55% remaining. Slotted into 4th behind the #16 Aston Martin on what I initially thought was a late 1-stopper. As the laps ticked down, it soon turned out that he was struggling for grip on worn Softs on a no-stop from 17th place.

On Lap 16, the Aston loses control over the kerb at the bottom of Paddock Hill Bend, resulting in contact and chances for the #5 Porsche and #12 Viper to sweep around the outside. Felt gutted for him as I remember very well the one time that happened to me in the Gr.4 Viper! Regained 4th on the same lap after the #18 Lexus ran wide at Surtees, and 3rd on Lap 22 when the Viper lost it after getting its tyres dirty between Sheene and Stirlings. As he spun, the Viper's front-left biffed my right-hand side, costing me momentum as the Renault got into hunting range. Knowing this was the same Renault driver who played rough in the few Nations Cup lobbies I met him in, I went to the outside anticipating a pass, which he made through Paddock Hill Bend with a little bit of contact. Almost had the chance to outbrake him at Druids and force him to the outside of Graham Hill Bend, but he already had the door shut by then. That seemed to be for the best, as apparently a few other drivers were unhappy with the Renault driver's standards in lobby chat afterwards.

My perseverance had finally paid off. 4th place, no major mistakes, 264 points - the same total I picked up for finishing 2nd in the 2020 Pre-Season!

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210828210953.png

Was it worth all that stress? Definitely not. While it was reassuring to look back through my onboards and find that the first three races weren't as catastrophic as I believed they were, they were still rough (along with my lapses in judgement on-track) and the expectations I set myself after testing made me feel worse when things started to go awry. It reminded me of just how easy it is to lose enjoyment in FIA races (or any online races, for that matter) if I go in for the sole purpose of earning the best finishes and the biggest possible points scores every single time. The last Daily Cs and Nations rounds I entered were enjoyable in that I went in with no expectations whatsoever, whether it be through a lack of practice or simply turning up in combos that were guaranteed to be wild and unpredictable.

Certainly, I won't be attempting this many EMEA slots for a single FIA race in the future. It has been satisfying to prove myself capable of scoring highly at 62-64K DR, but I've now got to the stage where aiming for these scores at that level on a more regular basis is more trouble than it's worth. It sets myself up for frustration and disappointment if misfortune or bad results come through, and I'm simply not prepared to burn myself out for the sake of making amends through constant retries. Now I'm ready to put last Saturday behind me, and will remember to extract as much enjoyment as I can from the remaining races I still plan to enter. It doesn't matter any more what points I earn so long as there is still some fun to be had in each championship.

Last edited:
Seems like that last BOP really hurt the Cayman's chances on the speed tracks. Kudos for giving it a go.
The thing is, it’s actually quite effective at Monza despite the power. Brakes are awesome. Tall final gear makes it really good in the draft. And really fuel efficient and easy on tires. From 14th the plan should have been easy: stay in the draft, climb the ladder at full fuel mix all race. But like a dummy, I completely forgot how over-steer prone on entry on cold hard tires. And blew a decent chance. Oh well life happens. But bummed at the last few FIA race results that were mostly my own doing.

Last edited:
Dumb question - how can you tell which door/slot you're in for the FIA races?

My Monza experience was an interesting one. Had a really enjoyable race in the GTR and finished 7th, despite some crazy dive bombing going on. Thought I'd have another race later on....completely butchered qualifying, moved up from 19th to 11th on lap 2....then my video signal blacked out for a couple of a seconds and i was in the fence when it came back on. Furious. Apologies to anyone I binned. Off to JBHifi to buy some new HDMI cables....

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back