2021 Maserati GranTurismo

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
After the initial announcement of a new GranTurismo back in 2018 and 2019 roadmaps for the company, the first official teaser was shown during the MC20 reveal.

Maserati-GranTurismo-2-1024x555.jpg

Based on the roadmap from 2019, there'll be a BEV option

masertai-s-new-product-roadmap-reveals-an-electrified-future.jpg

From what I believe I read, it would be partially based on the Alfieri concept, correct? That would be a good move, if true.

I thought the Alfieri became the Roma
Unconfirmed theory, based on on their looks with no other information. IIRC Maserati has stated their intentions with the car several times in the years past, and last I read (don't recall where, I apologize for that) the intent was to use it as a base for the upcoming GranTurismo replacement.

Lol why do people keep pushing rumours from forums and car websites comment sections that the MC20 was meant to be the 6C and is just a 4C with a new body and the Alfieri became the Roma? It boggles the mind.

Lol why do people keep pushing rumours from forums and car websites comment sections that the MC20 was meant to be the 6C and is just a 4C with a new body and the Alfieri became the Roma? It boggles the mind.

Im not sure what the MC20 rumors are, but I was just throwing it out there for the Alfieri as you know.....the looks almost the same lol

Also, isnt this a forum for discussion? i only talk with car people on here so im not sure what is being said elsewhere.

"All-new"

clearly all the same hardpoints as the previous chassis

Yeah, on the outside it's just a facelift. But honestly I'm happy, the lines of the Gran Turismo are pretty close to being perfect, so an update of that works for me. IMO some cars could stay in production forever, and this is one of them.

And I wouldn't complain either if Alfa made an 8C 6C out of it again.

Am I the only one who's not really a fan of these vertical headlights? It's not 2005 anymore, vertical stretched headlights aren't in anymore. They look weak.

I'm ready for the current fad of squinty (either vertical or horizontal orientation) headlights to be over. Every time I see a third gen MR2 it fills me with joy. You just don't get that kind of headlight-area to body-mass ratio anymore.

Took them how many years to develop new headlights and wheels? Isn't this chassis like 15 years old now?

Edit: My bad, apparently it is a new chassis that somehow looks exactly like the old one.

Took them how many years to develop new headlights and wheels? Isn't this chassis like 15 years old now?

Edit: My bad, apparently it is a new chassis that somehow looks exactly like the old one.
It looks like a facelift 15 years later rather than a new car. I don't really have a problem with that in this case.

First of all I hate it. The Gran Turismo looked weird when it was new and it still looks weird now, with fat bulbous fenders at both ends, a skinny l o n g section between, possibly the largest doors in the entire industry, a fastback which doesn't look like a fastback because the rear window has curved sides making the greenhouse look like it has a concave curve. And vertical stretched headlights went out of style like 10 years ago. It's got many of the same design problems as the Fisker Karma did (and does because it won't die) just a bit less pronounced.

There is no second point. This thing looks 15 years old just sitting there.

Last edited:
Dang, really wanted to like it. Dont think that rear end works at all. I really liked the front end of the Gran Turismo and this looks like a bad knockoff of it, not a successor haha

I actually like the rear the most. It's like a minimalistic version of the current GranTurismo. But I do agree the front looks awful. The vertical lights do not work at all

Funny how the F-Type refresh went for a more aggressive front more akin to the GranTurismo, albeit more squinted being a late 2010s design, while this has gone in the opposite direction and ended up looking like the earlier Jag. Yet both have come out looking like a considerable downgrade.

The slow drip of information continues

They reveal the V6 version of the car which uses a V6 from the MC20

1663184697198.png

1663184712773.png

One thing we do know about the car is that Maserati considers the GranTurismo “the brand’s true icon.” Sitting at the top of the lineup will be the electric Gran Turismo Folgore, which will use three motors to produce 1,200 hp (894 kW). This will help send the coupe to 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in 2.6 seconds. Its top speed will exceed 200 mph (320 kph). The V6-powered version will likely trail the EV in performance.

I guess this is the official reveal? I can't tell anymore

GranTurismo Trofeo and Modena

1664824917536.png

1664824938116.png

1664825006325.png

1664825012397.png

The new GranTurismo uses the Nettuno V6 engine the automaker introduced with the MC20. All-wheel drive is standard across the range, which has a rear-wheel-drive bias. The twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter engine features a wet sump in the coupe rather than a dry one, and it’s equipped with cylinder deactivation. The engine makes 489 horsepower (365 kilowatts) and 442 pound-feet (600 Newton-meters) of torque in the Modena. It produces 550 hp (410 kW) and 479 lb-ft (650 Nm) in the Trofeo.

The Trofeo, which has the same top speed [as the Folgore of 198 miles per hour], can hit 62 in 3.5 seconds, while the Modena needs 3.9 seconds. It’s limited to 187 mph (302 kph).

GranTurismo Folgore

1664824855136.png

1664824861006.png

The Folgore uses three 300-kilowatt (402-horsepower) electric motors – one at the front and two at the rear. The car, which features an 800-volt architecture and lacks a front trunk, delivers 750 hp (560 kW) and 995 lb-ft (1,350 Nm) of torque, getting power from a 92.5-kilowatt-hour T-bone-shaped battery in the center of the vehicle. The car can discharge 100 percent of the available power through the rear axle.

Maserati says the Folgore can sprint to 62 miles per hour (100 kilometers per hour) in 2.7 seconds, on its way to a top speed of 198 mph (320 kph).

They are both built on the same modular platform

The company made the GranTurismo’s architecture modular, capable of accommodating both electric and gas powertrains with minimal changes. Over 65 percent of the car is made of aluminum. The Nettuno-powered vehicle weighs 3,957 pounds (1,795 kilograms), while the EV tips the scales at 4,982 lbs (2,260 kg). The EV might be heavier, but it also has a 50-50 weight distribution compared to the other’s 52-48 split.

All three versions feature staggered 20- and 21-inch wheels, with the Folgore’s designed for aerodynamics. They cut the EV’s Cd by seven percent compared to the Nettuno-powered versions. The Folgore also features an air inlet between the bumper and wheel arch to reduce wind noise, exclusive to the trim. Four designs with various finishes give the GT seven different wheel options.

Reminds me of a Scaglietti mixed with an F-Type and Panoz side profile. The rest is old Gran Turismo. I like the GT, but it’s like the car in GT7. Needs a fresh look. A completely new look.

Last edited:
I was never really a Maserati fan. However, if there were machines I liked, it would be the MC12, MC20, and even the Levante. And of course... there is the beautiful GranTurismo. This newer GranTurismo is soft in design and shares some Jaguar F-Type design cues; however, I really like this design. The older GranTurismo was more fierce in its guise. This design is softer but more stylish. I think this new GranTurismo is quite beautiful, actually. More so than the older GranTurismo.

Having been invited to the private unveiling of the Grecale a few weeks back, i actually really like the shape of those lights in person on the front. I actually think the GT might not photograph well but could look nice in person. I dogged it hard earlier in this thread but now i'm kind of excited to see it in the flesh haha

The newer GranTurismo seems more softened in design than with previous models, but it still remains a very stylish exotic sports car. I'm liking this newer model, though not as much as the 2010s GranTurismos.

Back