2021 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,202 comments
While it’s not NASCAR, it has former NASCAR drivers in it. The Camping World Superstar Racing Experience from Stafford Motor Speedway is starting now on CBS.

Thanks for the reminder, I completely forgot about it. All I can really say about it right now is thankfully CBS doesn't sound interested in acquiring the IndyCar or NASCAR rights because their coverage has sucked so far, I don't think they've caught a single pass live and have not done a good job explaining the format.

I liked what I seen tonight. The broadcast wasnt the best but its better than hearing a Waltrip. Cool to see the local guy win. Maybe Stewart could offer Coby a one off ride in the Xfinity Series at a short track. Not surprised as to who finished last. Cant call him a "has been". I think more like a "never was". Though I am left wondering if it will be the same 11 and a hometown guy? Or will their be different guys? Would leave to see Kenseth or Edwards out there for a race.

Cant call him a "has been". I think more like a "never was".
Waltrip? lol Because Bill finished last actually.

Anyway I saw some comments poking fun at the drivers being senior citizens and all... but I believe Bill Elliott would have finished Top-3 had it not been for that fuel pump issue. That old man impressed the hell out of me, hated seeing him get knocked out of contention like that.

Last edited:
SRX was decent for its first time. Definitely needs some fat trimmed to fit into its 2 hour timeslot it was designed for. Needs shorter heats and shorter breaks.

I expect the “hometown hero” to dominate every race, it’s not surprising guys at the top of their game can beat a bunch of old guys.

They need to add a few more cars (16 is a good number) and at least one more “hometown hero” to make it a bit more interesting. Preferably a pair who have a rivalry/have been racing each other for years, someone like Bubba Pollard and Stephen Nasse.

The “competition caution” was silly when the top 4 cars were all close together, the race was actually worse after they threw it.

Coby was definitely just cruising for most of the race though, he was 3 tenths quicker than the field in practice.

Last edited:
I think this All-Star race is gonna be the first NASCAR race I've ever made an effort not to watch. I just have zero interest for the 6 stage, 3 field invert format that they're gonna do. Unbelievably stupid. I'll watch the highlights afterwards, but have no desire to watch it live. Basically this is an off-week until Nashville next week.

I think this All-Star race is gonna be the first NASCAR race I've ever made an effort not to watch. I just have zero interest for the 6 stage, 3 field invert format that they're gonna do. Unbelievably stupid. I'll watch the highlights afterwards, but have no desire to watch it live. Basically this is an off-week until Nashville next week.

I really have no desire to watch it either, it doesn't help that the IndyCar weekend really soured my view of Texas.

Oh and not to mention this race has no hype and Darrell Wallace didn't even win the fanvote!!! Shocking!

Nashville has more hype.

Brad wanted to accuse HMS of having illegal cars but remembered the last time he accused a team of shenanigans he got caught with an illegal car.

Last edited:
Larson is unstoppable right now.

But I agree with the others on the absurdity of the format. 6 stages? Really?
I had no idea what the rules were for each stage. :boggled:
-All stages 15 laps except an oddball 30 lap stage and final 10 lap stage (the final one being short understandable)
-Randomly invert 3 times
-The 30 lap stage having a mandatory green flag stop (one part I didn't mind actually)
-Stage 5, not the final, being the one where they lined up by best overall running position

Just do a damn 30, 30, 10 or something like that. Invert after stage 1 if you so desire and be done with it. :rolleyes:

At least Nashville is next week. Also coverage of the season now switches to NBC. Hopefully they treat NASCAR better than they’ve treated IndyCar the past two days.

Larson is unstoppable right now.

But I agree with the others on the absurdity of the format. 6 stages? Really?
I had no idea what the rules were for each stage. :boggled:
-All stages 15 laps except an oddball 30 lap stage and final 10 lap stage (the final one being short understandable)
-Randomly invert 3 times
-The 30 lap stage having a mandatory green flag stop (one part I didn't mind actually)
-Stage 5, not the final, being the one where they lined up by best overall running position

Just do a damn 30, 30, 10 or something like that. Invert after stage 1 if you so desire and be done with it. :rolleyes:
I'm 75% convinced this was Eddie Gossage's idea purely for attention...I can't go 100% because that would give the idea I don't think anyone in NASCAR could come up with something like this.

At least Nashville is next week. Also coverage of the season now switches to NBC. Hopefully they treat NASCAR better than they’ve treated IndyCar the past two days.
Indeed. Imagine coming home from work after recording the program on TV only to find out you've missed the first 30 laps because they were showing tennis instead? Then when the race finally comes on, they go BACK to the match at the first commercial break to show the awards presentation or whatever the hell it was instead of the race.

Kevin Harvick's Grave Digger scheme for Nashville.

FB_IMG_1623868469142.jpg

That die-cast needs to be availvable for pre-order asap.

If there aren't 40 drivers qualifying for a race anymore, why are charters still a thing? It's essentially a glorified entry fee.

I wasn't sure if GMS would ever come out of cup seeing they stopped their Xfinity program a few years ago. Nextgen is going to change the sport forever and I can't wait to live through it.

Seems NASCAR is looking to piss off even more rednecks by possibly starting an all-electric series. I've certainly warmed up to the prospect of EV racing, so I'd be interested to see where they go with it if it does get off the ground.

https://www.jayski.com/2021/06/17/all-electric-companion-series-in-nascars-future/

Also from the link is your quarterly new manufacturer rumor.

#abolishcharters

Considering how often they run blank/"Chevrolet Accessories" trucks, I'm putting this in the "I'll believe it when they hit the track" category. I do hope they make it work though as they know how to field competitive equipment.

If there aren't 40 drivers qualifying for a race anymore,

If everything works out it seems we will be at that number next year, which will hopefully force NASCAR to bring back practice and qualifying for every race.

why are charters still a thing? It's essentially a glorified entry fee.

Teams want it as it provides value to their team and (supposedly) helps attract sponsors. I would rather have the old top-35 system (or the NHRA no safety net method), but so long as the RTA is around charters are not going anywhere.

They say it's gonna be a whole new series, but my gut is telling me they'll axe the truck series for it. I hope they don't, but I could see that happening.

I think Xfinity should be the series to go all electric for now imo.

I'd imagine Xfinity will always remain somewhat similar to Cup series no matter what considering it's the final step in the development ladder.

but my gut is telling me they'll axe the truck series for it. I hope they don't, but I could see that happening.

Sadly I think you may be onto something considering how long they've been running the same basic formula, it's long due for a new "truck". Plus with ARCA (which also desperately needing a new car) now under the NASCAR umbrella they don't really need the Trucks to serve as the official bridge from local/regional to national on the development ladder.

They say it's gonna be a whole new series, but my gut is telling me they'll axe the truck series for it. I hope they don't, but I could see that happening.

Sadly I think you may be onto something considering how long they've been running the same basic formula, it's long due for a new "truck". Plus with ARCA (which also desperately needing a new car) now under the NASCAR umbrella they don't really need the Trucks to serve as the official bridge from local/regional to national on the development ladder.

As someone who has absolutely no idea about NASCAR I'd be rather surprised to see the trucks go away. Americans are so in love with them (I'm not American - yet) and if a car category is so loved, racing is inevitable imho. But as I said, I have no idea about NASCAR, so I'm most likely totally wrong :)

Last edited:
Lol whaaat? I ain’t falling asleep watching the truck races like I do in Cup.
Cup can be a parade.
Well ever since the superstars moved up, I personally stopped caring about the series. While guys like Sheldon Creed are talented I just don't find them interesting.

Back