2021 NTT Indy Car SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 291 comments
Only woke up in time to watch the last 36 laps of the race. Hell of an exciting finish. Big congrats to Castroneves.

As someone who's always been a fan of Helio Castroneves, I'm proud for him on joining the list of 4-time Indy 500 winners. It was a great event! Can't be any happier for Helio on this day.

So the Indy 500 is run with crowds in attendance despite the fact that they've had over half a million COVID deaths with hundreds, if not thousands of active cases. Meanwhile in the state of Victoria, the Winton SuperSprint is called off after 36 new COVID cases and subsequent lockdown...

Anyway at least I was able to watch a 46 year-old win his 4th Indy 500 and climb the fence. Winning the Indy 500 once is one thing but winning 4 in 21 starts is simply legendary. The list now looks like this:
Rick Mears
Al Unser Sr
A.J Foyt
Helio Castroneves

What a group to be a part of. His name will live on I don't think I'll be forgetting this edition of the Indy 500 anytime soon.

Last edited:
So the Indy 500 is run with crowds in attendance despite the fact that they've had over half a million COVID deaths with hundreds, if not thousands of active cases. Meanwhile in the state of Victoria, the Winton SuperSprint is called off after 36 new COVID cases and subsequent lockdown...
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think fans had to show proof of vaccination to attend the event. Here in Australia, I don’t believe we’re given a vaccination card like in the US. Not to mention that our rollout has barely got underway with somewhere around only 500,000 Australians getting both doses. That’s not a whole lot more that the total amount of fans at the Indy 500!

Great race though, I had my eyes glued to the screen for the whole thing and it was truely amazing to see Castroneves pull through to win for a forth time.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think fans had to show proof of vaccination to attend the event. Here in Australia, I don’t believe we’re given a vaccination card like in the US. Not to mention that our rollout has barely got underway with somewhere around only 500,000 Australians getting both doses. That’s not a whole lot more that the total amount of fans at the Indy 500!

Great race though, I had my eyes glued to the screen for the whole thing and it was truely amazing to see Castroneves pull through to win for a forth time.
The general fans did not need any proof of vaccination to attend, but I believe visitors with pit/garage passes did.

Great win by Helio! I wonder how it would have turned out if not for the sudden lapped traffic at the end, though.
When I saw there was lapped traffic, I said at the time it was over. What really was bad for Palou was that he could've won if the driver that had to pit a lap or two earlier and came out just ahead didn't get a penalty. Otherwise, Palou would've had draft to the finish.

Initial report is he is sore but otherwise alright, as expected he is still going to be transferred to the hospital for further evaluation. :cheers:

Power - Ericsson - Veekay

Leigh Diffey: "Three different nationalities, three different teams!"

But only 1 paintscheme, it seems. Shades of WEC a few years ago.

Last edited:
Back