2022/23 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 434 comments
A couple of bits of transfer news that came out of nowhere today.

Chelsea have agreed a £55 million deal with Leeds for Raphinha, it looked almost certain that he was on his way to Arsenal but Chelsea made a surprise bid which was accepted, it also looked like Chelsea were going to go in for Raheem Sterling but that seems unlikely now.

Man United have agreed a deal with Feyenoord for left back Tyrell Malacia, United had been linked with him in recent weeks and Feyenoord rejected bids from Lyon hence why United moved swiftly, the deal is 15 million Euros with 2 million in add-ons and it is thought that United would now listen to offers for Alex Telles, progress is still being made in the deal to sign De Jong and hope remains that it will be done this week.

England under-19 have made the European under 19 Championship final in Slovakia, they had a comeback 2-1 win over Italy today and will face Israel in the final on Sunday.
ESPN is reporting that the De Jong deal is done.

EDIT: I guess it could still fall apart but they've at least agreed on terms.

Last edited:
Derby look in real trouble.
Good.

As it stands, Derby's penalty for making up fake accounts for a decade and artificially overvaluing its stadium to balance the books is identical to Sheffield Wednesday's penalty for asking the EFL if it could sell its stadium and include that in the current year accounts and being okayed to do so, and Wigan Athletic's penalty for the EFL allowing it to be sold to a man who literally didn't exist: relegation to League One.

It's mad that two clubs entirely let down by, and lied to by, the EFL get the same penalty as a club which lied to the EFL for a decade. If Derby went extinct, I'd feel for the ordinary people working there, but it wouldn't bother me.

Meanwhile Aston Villa's penalty for blowing clean through Championship FFP and selling its stadium to itself is... nothing, and promotion to the Premier League.

I know I keep banging on about this but it is quite frustrating that United haven't made a single signing yet, some clubs are on their 2nd/3rd signing of the summer whereas United come back for pre-season next week with no new players, plus yesterday the Glazers took £11 million out of the club in dividends, United are the only Premier League club where the owners take money out.
It seems that Murtough and company heard your complaint.
Man United have agreed a deal with Feyenoord for left back Tyrell Malacia, United had been linked with him in recent weeks and Feyenoord rejected bids from Lyon hence why United moved swiftly, the deal is 15 million Euros with 2 million in add-ons and it is thought that United would now listen to offers for Alex Telles, progress is still being made in the deal to sign De Jong and hope remains that it will be done this week.

Lukaku has gone back to Inter Milan on loan, Milan will pay a loan fee and cover all his wages, plus a bonus if they win Serie A.

Lukaku to Chelsea was the worst signing of last season, £97 million and just 8 league goals. That interview in January just made things worse.

Salah becomes the highest paid Liverpool player ever with that new deal, reported 350k a week. it was probably the right thing to do though.

Derby's takeover is finally complete, Man United's deal for Malacia is almost done. Everton can't spend the £50 million they got for Richarlison because of FFP, hence why they sold him.

Derby's takeover is finally complete
unenthusiastic bored clap GIF by Echosmith

A Premier League player has been arrested on suspicion of rape, the player in question can't be named for legal reasons but is in his late 20's, the alleged incident took place in June of this year and was he was arrested on the same day in Barnet, north London.

Gabriel Jesus has joined Arsenal from Man City in a £45 million deal.
Kalvin Philips has joined Man City from Leeds for the same price.
Fulham have signed Portugese international Joao Palhinha from Sporting Lisbon for £20 million.
Andreas Christiansen has joined Barcelona from Chelsea on a free.
Tyrell Malacia has joined Man United from Feyenoord for £14.7 million.
Divock Origi has joined AC Milan on a free.
Brentford are close to signing Aaron Hickey from Bologna for a reported £14 million.

Ronaldo didn't turn up for United training again today, family reason is still the reason being given which United accept, he future is very much uncertain though but I have no problems if he leaves, no player is bigger than the club.

Richarlison has been given a one-game suspension and a £25k fine after accepting an FA charge of improper conduct, this was when he threw a flare back in to the crowd as an Everton player against Chelsea in May, he will miss the opening game of the season for Spurs.

Raheem Sterling has agreed personal terms with Chelsea.
Luis Sinisterra has joined Leeds from Feyenoord for around £21 million
Leeds have also signed Tyler Adams from Leipzig for £20 million.
Southampton have signed Romeo Lavia from Man City for £10.5 million and look set to sign Joe Aribo from Rangers.
Nott Forest have signed Moussa Niakhate from Mainz for undisclosed fee.
Forest are also hoping to complete deals for Bayern's Omar Richards and Liverpool's Neco Williams by the weekend.
Swansea midfielder Flynn Downes having medical at West Ham ahead of a £9 million move.

Raheem Sterling has agreed personal terms with Chelsea.
Luis Sinisterra has joined Leeds from Feyenoord for around £21 million
Leeds have also signed Tyler Adams from Leipzig for £20 million.
Southampton have signed Romeo Lavia from Man City for £10.5 million and look set to sign Joe Aribo from Rangers.
Nott Forest have signed Moussa Niakhate from Mainz for undisclosed fee.
Forest are also hoping to complete deals for Bayern's Omar Richards and Liverpool's Neco Williams by the weekend.
Swansea midfielder Flynn Downes having medical at West Ham ahead of a £9 million move.
Sterling has been in freefall this week. Some might say it's not the first time he's fallen ;)

Is something sinister going to happen at Leeds... ?

Am I the only person to misread Lavia...? :D

And will Downes cope going UP the leagues...

Ziyech is likely leaving because Sterling is coming in.

Ten Hag has said he wants Ronaldo to stay and is part of his plans, it also turns out that he absence from training really is a personal issue so I hope everything is okay there, ETH has also said that Maguire will remain captain....eh ok.

I'll post a transfer round up from the weekend tomorrow, its a bit late tonight.

Joe Aribo has left Rangers to join Southampton for an undisclosed fee.
Scottish international left back Aaron Hickey has joined Brentford from Bologna for £14 million.
Omar Richards has joined Nottingham Forest from Bayern Munich for £12 million.
Forest also signed Welsh right back Neco Williams from Liverpool for £17 million.
Andreas Pereira has joined Fulham from Man United for £10 million.
Crystal Palace have signed Cheick Doucoure from Lens for £18 million.
Wolves have signed Nathan Collins from Burnley for £20.5 million.
Juventus have signed Paul Pogba and Angel Di Maria both on frees.
Chelsea in talks with Napoli for Kalidou Koulibaly.

Man United beat Liverpool 4-0 in friendly earlier...yes really...

One big deal was done today, and another two are close.

Raheem Sterling has completed his move to Chelsea for £47.5 million, its Chelsea's first men's signing under the new ownership, I think this move is fascinating.

Leeds have confirmed that they have agreed a deal with Barcelona for Raphinha and he just needs to complete a medical, he was linked with moves to Arsenal and Chelsea but the Barcelona move has been on since February, Deal is worth £55 million after Barca found another magical pot of money from somewhere...probably sponsorship.

Lisandro Martinez is close to joining Man United from Ajax after the clubs agreed a deal of 50 million Euros, the deal for the defender is expected to be done in the next 24/48 hours. Interesting that the first two Ten Hag signings are defenders when its the one area of the squad where we are strongest numbers wise.

One big deal was done today, and another two are close.

Raheem Sterling has completed his move to Chelsea for £47.5 million, its Chelsea's first men's signing under the new ownership, I think this move is fascinating.

Leeds have confirmed that they have agreed a deal with Barcelona for Raphinha and he just needs to complete a medical, he was linked with moves to Arsenal and Chelsea but the Barcelona move has been on since February, Deal is worth £55 million after Barca found another magical pot of money from somewhere...probably sponsorship.

Lisandro Martinez is close to joining Man United from Ajax after the clubs agreed a deal of 50 million Euros, the deal for the defender is expected to be done in the next 24/48 hours. Interesting that the first two Ten Hag signings are defenders when its the one area of the squad where we are strongest numbers wise.
When do United finally cut bait on this de Jong thing? This has been going on for weeks.

Mate I don't even know, the latest snag is that Barca own him backdated wages from when he took a deferral when Football stopped at the height of the pandemic. I think he wants to stay at Barca but they need to sell him because of their financial situation.

This has been going on for too long and I wish we moved on to other midfield targets.

Man United have signed Christian Eriksen on a three-year deal after his short term deal at Brentford expired, he becomes the second signing under Ten Hag. Eriksen trained with Ten Hag's Ajax to gain fitness following his cardiac arrest at last summers Euros.

A third United signing is very close with Lisandro Martinez having his medical on Saturday morning.

Robert Lewandowski looks set to join Barcelona from Bayern Munich for £42.5 million subject to a medical.

Friendlies began today.
Reading 1 West Ham 1
Dull first half.
West Ham scored first in a much better second half. At the other end. And hit the post with a great effort.
Reading came back with a equaliser after a great move. Chip over defender onto runner.
Brought it down nicely...
20220716_162410.jpg

Then hit a great cross into the middle for a good finish
20220716_162426.jpg

Reading then found the net again, but it was clearly offside. Ball through middle of defence onto on running attacker, who mistimed his run when he could have delayed a little as the West ham defence seemed to be wrong footed.
Didnt stop him celebrating though 😅
20220716_164216.jpg

Shane Long came on for his second Reading debut, 17 years after the first. Got a good reception and won a free kick in a good position near the end. Wall did its job though and went for a corner which didnt result in much.
20220716_164638.jpg

Final whistle went soon after.

Barcelona have signed Robert Lewandowski for £42.5 million.
Man United have agreed a deal with Ajax for Lisandro Martinez, its a deal worth up to £57 million and he'll sign a five year deal subject to a medical and visa.
Chelsea have signed Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli for £40 million.

Barcelona have signed Robert Lewandowski for £42.5 million.
Man United have agreed a deal with Ajax for Lisandro Martinez, its a deal worth up to £57 million and he'll sign a five year deal subject to a medical and visa.
Chelsea have signed Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli for £40 million.
I don't understand how Barca puled that off. They're telling de Jong he has to needs to go to Man United because they can't pay him. They're asking for pay cuts from other players. Where is this money coming from? Plus where is he going to play? Who's going to be on the bench? They've paid money to Raphinha to sit on the bench? And Aubayemang?

Last edited:
I don't understand how Barca puled that off. They're telling de Jong he has to needs to go to Man United because they can't pay him. They're asking for pay cuts from other players. Where is this money coming from? Plus where is he going to play? Who's going to be on the bench? I'm assuming it's going to be Lewandowski, Benzema, and Dembele up front? They've paid money to Raphinha to sit on the bench? And Aubayemang?
Absolutely nothing dodgy going on here.

Barcelona have got a big sponsorship deal with Spotify, it does little to clear their debts though.

Man United now enter the 10th week of trying to sign De Jong....

Barcelona have got a big sponsorship deal with Spotify, it does little to clear their debts though.

Man United now enter the 10th week of trying to sign De Jong....
Is that why their matches pause for adverts every 30 minutes?

I don't understand how Barca puled that off. They're telling de Jong he has to needs to go to Man United because they can't pay him. They're asking for pay cuts from other players. Where is this money coming from?
I’m guessing they have hired the same accounting firm as Man City.

Back