2022 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 335 comments
LATINAMERICANS UNITED!!! 😁 😁 🇦🇷🇦🇷🇦🇷 CONGRATS ARGENTINAAA!!!
argentina GIF

Worst World Cup of all time, worst possible winners. Finally this farce is over. Oh, I’m also a homosexual migrant.

Argentina 3-3 France (after extra time, Argentina win 4-2 on penalties)

What an unbelievable game, Messi with two, Mbappe with a hat-trick including a great finish. France weren't at the races for quite a long time as Argentina went 2-0 up, but Mbappe penalty and that great finish happened in 1 min 36 seconds and France were level, Messi and Mbappe then scored in extra time to take it to penalties, Martinez saved on and Tchouameni put his wide. Messi and Argentina are champions of the world!

One of the best games of Football I have ever seen, so much drama, tension and excitement, delighted for Argentina and Messi.

Worst World Cup of all time, worst possible winners. Finally this farce is over. Oh, I’m also a homosexual migrant.
Disagree, it was a great tournament and Argentina are worthy winners.

That said, it was a great tournament held in the wrong country for the wrong reasons. Let's hope it never happens again.

Last edited:
Disagree, it was a great tournament and Argentina are worthy winners.

That said, it was a great tournament held in the wrong country for the wrong reasons. Let's hope it never happens again.
How Paredes was still on pitch against Netherlands remains a mystery. And gifted tons of penalties all the way through. Good for you, if you think so. I certainly don’t see them as worthy but it doesn’t change a single thing anyway. Just forget this trash.

And jesus christ I’m vomiting due to all the pseudo journalists with their “The world owes Messi a World Cup” moronic things they keep saying. I don’t know if this was something they kept saying around the world as well but definitely here in this behind licking country I live in. The world doesn’t owe anyone anything. I’m disgusted.

Last edited:
How Paredes was still on pitch against Netherlands remains a mystery. And gifted tons of penalties all the way through. Good for you, if you think so. I certainly don’t see them as worthy but it doesn’t change a single thing anyway. Just forget this trash.

And jesus christ I’m vomiting due to all the pseudo journalists with their “The world owes Messi a World Cup” moronic things they keep saying. I don’t know if this was something they kept saying around the world as well but definitely here in this behind licking country I live in. The world doesn’t owe anyone anything. I’m disgusted.
This is not the thread for you then. Take a break from this thread.

Last edited:
Quiz : What player scored three goals in a world cub finale and then lost it ?
1, Mbappe 2022. He's only the 2nd player to score a hat trick in the WC final at all. First being Sir Geoff Hurst in 1966.

Last edited:
And with that, the Messi Vs Ronaldo debate is finally over.
Messi has won everything. Messi. Is. The. GOAT.

🐐
Agreed, though for me Messi was already the best. This cements it if nothing else. Yes Ronaldo has done it in more leagues and for more teams but he's also lost it for more teams and has never had the same level of consistency as Messi at club level.

No GOAT debate can and will be settled with a World Cup. Certain players, could be the very best ever, and not have a single chance to win it, due to their national team being weak. Haaland for example, may never have the chance to even enter that debate, and the same goes for many others.

In the end, the goat debate, will be nothing more than a matter of preference. Unfortunately, we've never seen such a push from the media towards choosing one and also a sense of "if you prefer this over the other, you're wrong".

I know people like to say that Messi carried the whole team, but it was quite the opposite. It was not because of Messi that France had 0 shots in the first 70 minutes or so. It was not Messi who made the save in the end of extra time. This aplies to all the games they had in this WC, the star for Argentina, was the cohesive unit they were, which then allowed Messi to do something. And also...

This was quite evidently fixed. It simply isn't normal a team getting a guaranteed penalty in nearly every game. It's also weird how Argentina players just get away from yellow cards. It's as if they were playing with a different set of rules. And this, brings me to the criteria, which has been all over the place. For example, I remember one clear penalty call England had against France, which wasn't given, even though it was more obvious than any of the PKs given to Argentina.

Speaking of penalties, not only today's first was a farce, the one against Croatia was too, and to add to that, it came from a goal kick for Argentina that should have been a corner.

That Netherlands game was disgusting. Two red cards to be shown to argentinian players, possible penalty call for Netherlands with no replay (happened the same between Portugal and Morocco). But then again, after watching the final, and seeing Messi bump into Theo Hernandez while he was jumping for the ball, Messi falls down "injured" and it's automaticaly a foul for Argentina, I think everything is said. FIFA President even said not so long ago, that Messi deserved to win a World Cup, so yeah... every other top player to never win it must be like "am I a joke to you?".

As for the media, the bias is real. Here not so much, but it still exists. I heard one commentator say that Argentina brings us the essence of street football. And I'm like, what part? The reckless tackles and oblivious/zero refereeing, or the constant fighting? :lol:
I've seen more debate over that clear Bruno Fernandes penalty against Uruguay, than any of the made up penalties that took Argentina to the final.

Meanwhile, was Messi MOTM? :lol: Yet another insult to football, when clearly the better player was Mbappe.

I haven't watched a single second of this tournament. I've only seen still images on shows like ESPN FC. What was that thing Messi was wearing on the trophy ceremony? It looked like some sort of cape.

I haven't watched a single second of this tournament. I've only seen still images on shows like ESPN FC. What was that thing Messi was wearing on the trophy ceremony? It looked like some sort of cape.
It was a robe given to Messi by the Emir of Qatar at the trophy ceremony in a somewhat cringe-worthy moment. As you may not know: Messi and Mbappe, the two stars of Argentina and France respectively both now play for French team Paris St. Germain. Who owns Paris St. Germain? The Emir of Qatar. It's a win, win, win for the Emir!

You should also know that Lionel Messi is now generally acknowledged to be the greatest footballer of all time, while Mbappe is the highest paid athlete in the world, having just signed a 3 year 632 million Euro (about $675 m) contract with PSG.

As you may not know: Messi and Mbappe, the two stars of Argentina and France respectively both now play for French team Paris St. Germain. Who owns Paris St. Germain? The Emir of Qatar. It's a win, win, win for the Emir!

You should also know that Lionel Messi is now generally acknowledged to be the greatest footballer of all time, while Mbappe is the highest paid athlete in the world, having just signed a 3 year 632 million Euro (about $675 m) contract with PSG.
I know all of that stuff. I do watch football I just was not going to watch this tournament. I just didn't know what that stupid robe thing was all about.

I know all of that stuff. I do watch football I just was not going to watch this tournament. I just didn't know what that stupid robe thing was all about.
Its apart of Arab culture to gift a prestigious robe to the winners especially this was a custom rewarded to victorious Arab warriors.

To them Messi was a warrior who led his country to victory.

Perhaps you should read more rather than calling it stupid.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Argentina! IMO they were the best team throughout the tournament, including the final, and thoroughly deserved the victory.

Regarding the term "GOAT", which is ultimately a very subjective term, I personally hold both Diego Maradona and Lionel Messi as such.
In terms of raw technical ability and what he could do with a ball I hold Maradona half an inch above Messi. In terms of merits though Messi is ahead.
But both are kings of football :)

Trying to explain to Americans the status of football as the world sport.
A majority of Americans already know this and every year more and more Americans start watching and following soccer.

I assume for neutral fans, that was definitely the best World Cup final ever, but oh boy, did we suffer that match... :lol:
And Italy hasn't won a World Cup knockout match since :lol:

Glad for Messi to get his WC, disappointing Deschamps couldn't become the second coach ever to defend a WC, appropriate that a nation should win this WC after reminding the world on Thursday it couldn't give a crap about democracy, and happy this entire sorry chapter in the history of World Cups is over.
Italy, incredibly, considering their very rich WC history, hasn't actually played a WC knockout match at all since the 2006 final. They went out in group stage in 2010 and 2014, and didn't qualify for the 2018 and 2022 WCs.

As for the democracy claim, as an Argentinian myself, I have no idea what you are referring to. People here in Argentina care a lot about democracy (keyword there being people, as opposed to our current government).

As for the democracy claim, as an Argentinian myself, I have no idea what you are referring to. People here in Argentina care a lot about democracy (keyword there being people, as opposed to our current government).
The government for sure.

Official Argentinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs social media accounts put out a blast about solving the issue with the Falkland Islands, referencing the 1965 UN Resolution for the UK and Argentina to come to a peaceful solution over the islands' sovereignty. The junta, in 1982, naturally opted to ignore "peaceful" as it sought to distract from domestic issues.

In an internationally recognised self-determination vote in 2013, the Islanders voted 99.8% to remain a British Overseas Territory. Apparently this isn't peaceful solution enough for the AMFA.

Of course post-victory dressing room chants of "**** the English, we remember the Malvinas" are no more endearing...

The government for sure.

Official Argentinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs social media accounts put out a blast about solving the issue with the Falkland Islands, referencing the 1965 UN Resolution for the UK and Argentina to come to a peaceful solution over the islands' sovereignty. The junta, in 1982, naturally opted to ignore "peaceful" as it sought to distract from domestic issues.

In an internationally recognised self-determination vote in 2013, the Islanders voted 99.8% to remain a British Overseas Territory. Apparently this isn't peaceful solution enough for the AMFA.

Of course post-victory dressing room chants of "**** the English, we remember the Malvinas" are no more endearing...
Democracy and sovereignty aren't the same thing. I wouldn't read too much into what our MFA says, though. After all, they have also failed to condemn dictatorships in other countries, invasions, etc. Even called having a President dissolving Congress in Peru just "a political crisis" recently.

The Malvinas war from 1982 was, as you rightly said, a military government decision to distract from domestic issues. An absolutely idiotic decision from the dictator that was governing Argentina at the time, sending young guys with no training and equipment to be killed. That dictatorship is one of the main reasons (together with the people killed and tortured at the time) why the Argentinian people actually really care about democracy and wouldn't want any other thing ever again.

Having said that, Argentina always believed to have a valid claim over the islands, and the rivalry translated into football due to the 1986 WC semifinal being so soon after that war, and some related chants can still be heard today. What the Argentinian chants say though are "el que no salta es un inglés" ("the one who doesn't jump is English") and the most famous one in this WC said "En Argentina nací, tierra del Diego y Lionel, de los pibes de Malvinas que jamás olvidaré" (which means "I was born in Argentina, land of Diego (Maradona), Lionel (Messi) and the guys of Malvinas who I will never forget", referring to the Argentinian war soldiers, not to the English)

As for the self-determination vote for the islanders, I can't blame them for preferring not to be governed by the Argentine government... :lol:

Last edited:
Democracy and sovereignty aren't the same thing.
Indeed. The Falkland Islanders' vote in 2013 was democracy, which is what the Argentine MFA (a branch of the Argentine government, and therefore an official government outlet) apparently doesn't respect.
As for the self-determination vote for the islanders, I can't blame them for preferring not being governed by the Argentine government... :lol:
Weirdly, aside from the junta, that's one of the main causes of the war. We didn't want the Falklands particularly, so after the resolution in 1965 and throughout the 60s and 70s the Foreign & Commonwealth Office tried to nudge them towards Argentina - more trade, more travel, giving an Argentinian petrochemical company open exploratory rights to the oilfields.

However the Falklanders were having none of it and basically torpedoed any efforts to de-British the Falklands. Then the (US-backed!) junta happened, they ruined the economy, and the Falklands was an easy way to get the public back on board. We didn't even have a defence plan for it!

And it didn't work, the junta collapsed, and we got Margaret Thatcher for another nine bloody years :lol:

Anyway, this is all for another thread; that the Argentinian MFA opted to sabre-rattle about the Falklands (and the 1965 UN Resolution, rather than the more appropriate 1982 one... for... some reason) right after the team qualified for the World Cup final despite an internationally recognised, democratic referendum from the people who live there is thrust of the comment.

I think most people are happy to see Messi win it at last either way (and I like Emiliano Martinez, former emergency loan player at Sheffield Wednesday).

Back