2022 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 335 comments
Regular time had total of 18:40 minutes of added time!
5mins for 1st half, 6 was played.
10mins for 2nd half, 12:40 was played.

And now extra time...

Pity it had to be decided by penalties again, but at least it was an exciting shoot-out.

Argentina's keeper made two great saves, as the two missed Dutch penalties were quite well taken.

Still, the added time in the game was a disgrace, and the officiating in general was ridiculous - there's absolutely no need to 13 minutes added time in the second half with no serious stoppages, and that influenced the game massively. The referee handed out a crazy number of yellow cards and yet still had no influence over the discipline of the game.

Last edited:
Croatia 1-1 Brazil (after extra time, Croatia win 4-2 on penalties)
Netherlands 2-2 Argentina (after extra time, Argentina win 3-4 on penalties)

Neymar with one of the goals of the tournament (if not the goal!) to put Brazil in front but Petkovic equalized on 117 minutes to force to penalties after it was 0-0 in normal time, Livakovic saved from Rodrygo and Marquinhos hit the post whilst Croatia scored with their four spot kicks and they are proving once again to be very resilient and tough to beat, Brazil bow out from an underwhelming tournament from them and head coach Tite has already left.

Molina scored Argentina's first after a brilliant assist from Messi, Messi then made it 2-0 from the penalty spot. Weghorst scored twice to take it to extra time and the equalizer was in 101.30 of normal time making it the latest goal ever scored in a World Cup game in normal time, Martinez saved the first two Netherlands penalties and that was it after that but Fernandez put his penalty wide to add a late twist. Croatia and Argentina will meet in the first semi final.

Its been a but of a mad day!

Just thinking about Croatia's path to the SF.

Back when Portugal won the Euros in 2016, they drew their first three games (they were bloody lucky to get out of the Group), followed by an extra-time win and a QF win on penalties. Their record up to the 2-0 win over Wales in the SF was:

P5 W1 D4 L0 +6 -5

Croatia meanwhile has come through to the 2022 WC SF with only a single win in normal time - 4-1 over Canada. Their record up to the SF is:

P5 W1 D4 L0 +6 -2

Meanwhile US sports journalist Grant Wahl, who was refused entry to the USA vs Wales group match over his rainbow shirt and recently spoke out against Nasser al-Khater's breathtakingly callous comments about "migrant" "worker" deaths, suddenly died during the Argentina-Netherlands match in the press box:

Last edited:
Morocco have done it!
1-0 winners over Portugal. Scored towards the end of the first half, and then defended for their lives to become the first African Nation to reach the Semi-Finals.

Phenomenal performance from the Moroccans. England and France do NOT have an easy Semi-Final ahead of them.

Great from Morocco, my friend arrived in Marakesh this afternoon, what a day to go there!

Glad to see Portugal sent packing - just too many divers, cheats and prima donnas for my liking.

Looking forward to the game tonight. Turned down three invites to pub as I'd prefer to watch this at home...

Good luck England!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Glad to see the end of Ronaldo's World Cup
Screenshot 2022-12-10 181638.jpg

Last edited:
Well since all my predictions on the quarters have been wrong so far, England has a very good chance. My prediction was for France to win.

40 minutes to kick-off and the stadium is looking pretty sparsely populated...

The Morocco - Portugal game was marred by trouble outside the stadium as thousands of people without tickets tried to get into the stadium, causing delays for people with tickets and many people missed a good chunk of the first half (at least)...

Indeed, the ITV commentator just remarked on the crowd numbers...

Going out this way hurts more than penalties. We played well in the 2nd half, the officiating was terrible, and in 50/50 games it's the little things that make the difference. Saka going off was a mistake at that point as well, he was by far our most creative and threatening player.

Morocco Vs Argentina for the final.

Ouch. England were the better side IMHO, but France scored two great goals... Kane got one penalty but blew the other, and other than his penalty prowess, Kane seems to offer less and less. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of his international career. That last minute chance though - Rashford was so close, but it wasn't to be. Agree with @MagpieRacer that Saka should have stayed on, by far England's best player tonight. Still conflicted with Maquire, great goal threat and nearly scored, but otherwise a liability IMO.

Still, kudos to France and Giroud in particular, an immense player and got to fancy their chances for 2 World Cups in a row.

The ref didn't cover himself in glory, but although there were a few decisions that were wrong, there were simply too many incidences of England players going to ground too quickly when they could have stayed on their feet and fought for the ball. The Mount penalty, however, was as nailed on as they get, and justice was done when it was awarded, albeit with the help of VAR. But alas it wasn't to be...

Could well be a repeat of the 2018 final at this rate...

Last edited:
73vxf0.gif

Quite glad as it should mean massive disengagement from this ****show of death (and murder). Also every time England has been knocked out of a tournament recently, the French have beaten the team that knocked them out :lol: Cutting out the middle-man this time.

Morocco vs Croatia final would be nice.

I'd prefer if Morocco was disqualified ASAP as their supporters in the Netherlands can't behave themselves.
Whats with Moroccan fans rioting?

I know they are passionate about their team winning but its stupid how they take it too far.

Relieved, but harsh for England who has, sorry had a team to win this WC.
Lol doesnt England has a team to win the wc every world cup? England is the definition of hubris. Though I do agree they actually was pretty strong this time but you just knew there is no way they would score two out of two penalties. Kane did a good job though hit it hard dont just hit it soft in the hope the goalies goes wrong. Close game though could gone both ways

I have not followed this wc closely. So fed up with Fifas corruption. But it do seem all the extra time fixed a lot of the problems with delaying the game. Sure you still have goalies loosing the balance after catching the ball but it used to be so much worse. Also the movie acting. Pepe does it of course but in general it seems less? Maybe var helps here.

It's almost like a Qatar bribe awarded world cup, wants their Qatar owned players in the World cup final.

Morocco 1-0 Portugal
England 1-2 France

Morocco quite staggeringly are through to the World Cup semi finals, En-Nesyri headed goal winner in the first half which was an impressive leap but Costa should have done a lot better in the Portugal goal. Bonou made some big saves for Morocco as Portugal had some big chances but Morocco defended well and are deservedly through.

Quite a tight game between England and France, England were arguably the better team and had the most chances but Greizmann was superb for France and assisted both goals, Tchouameni put France ahead with a long range effort from 25 yards, Harry Kane equalized for England from the penalty spot early in the second half before Giroud got the eventual, England did have another penalty which Kane missed, the referee was pretty poor with a lot of fouls not given, heartbreak for England but they can be proud of their performance.

Morocco will play France in the second semi final on Wednesday.

And then, there were four.

Tuesday.
Argentina v Croatia (7pm)

Wednesday.
France v Morocco (7pm)

Saturday.

Third/Fourth Place Play-Off
(3pm)

Sunday.

The Final
(3pm)

Argentina dismantled Croatia tonight, and their final goal was set up by Lionel Messi's sheer brilliance, and was reminiscent of Maradona's classic goal against England in the 1986 World Cup.

I reckon France or Morocco will be up against it if Argentina can keep up this form. I'm no great fan of Argentina, but I'd love to see Messi fulfil his destiny - tonight was arguably his greatest achievement as an Argentina player, and he's now just one more win away from sporting immortality.

Argentina 3-0 Croatia

Messi and Alvarez show tonight, first Argentina were awarded a debatable penalty when Alvarez was brought down by Livakovic, Messi converted on 34 mins which was a bit against the run of play as Croatia started well, then for the second goal Alvarez went on a brilliant run from the half way line to score his first, Messi turned Gvardiol inside out to set up Alvarez for his second, Messi's run was similar to the famous one he did against Bilbao in 2011. Croatia were outclassed but had another great tournament, that could have been Modric's last dance.

I would also absolutely love for Argentina and Messi to win the World Cup now. He has been incredible and won man of the match in four of the six games.

Can't help but think that Morocco are going to get thrashed tonight, and they're already a goal down after 5 minutes.

-

edit: Despite that, Morocco have played well... riding their luck though, Giroud smashed the post and missed an open goal already, but Morocco hit the post with a spectacular overhead kick. Pretty entertaining game and Morocco are still in this...

Last edited:
Hard luck for Morocco, don't think France were that impressive, though Mbappe's assist for the 2nd goal was superb. Hate to say it, but Morocco would have torn England apart.

Back