2022 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,424 comments
They're changing the font for the number, looks pretty good, hope they keep the chrome since they can do that now.

FEVTMJvXoAYwujH

NASCAR is allowing chrome numbers again, it'll be interesting to see which teams make use of them.

I've been watching the test on and off today, and it looks like cars can actually draft up and pass the cars in front of them without any disturbance. Still couldn't care less for the 550 package as I thought NASCAR was going to have a universal package that had 650hp or higher for most tracks.

Last edited:
Just watched today's highlights the cars definitely look more manageable when close to one another. A small victory.

By my non scientific and arbitrary count, about 12 seconds but it looked a little sloppy.
Given that we were seeing close to 12 second stops at the end of the 5-lug era, I can definitely see that time dropping even farther as teams get more practice in. I feel like the main limiting factor now is going to be how fast the jackman can get into position.

Hey buddy, you feel like going to Vegas? :lol:
Hell yeah. Let's go!

I made a decent share in NASCAR on DraftKings this year, once I realized that just stuffing entries into the $25 double-ups was the safest, most reliable play from week to week.

Honestly, the guess on the new team name was a total layup. Nothing more creative was ever going to be considered.

Also, since Joe Gibbs spent most of his football career coaching in RFK stadium, I wonder if this new team name will subliminally draw him toward their hauler one weekend.

Last edited:
Given that we were seeing close to 12 second stops at the end of the 5-lug era, I can definitely see that time dropping even farther as teams get more practice in. I feel like the main limiting factor now is going to be how fast the jackman can get into position.
10's

We still have our Daytona 500 tickets for this year, and still may go. However we got about a week or so to look at the schedule and see if there are any other races we want to go to instead. Otherwise we need to start booking a hotel and rental car for Daytona.

NASCAR has unveiled their practice and qualifying plans and it's even worse than I was expecting (I was expecting 1-hour of practice at every track). I like the qualifying formats just fine, but barely having practice when you're switching to a totally new car just seems moronic. I get that's sort of why they've had so many test sessions, but it seems like so far it's been more about working out kinks than trying to nail performance, especially when it seems NASCAR isn't even 100% on the package. And that's just my issue from the on-track perspective, from an attendee standpoint it's even worse as there's very little action from the headliner leading up to the race. I was already on the verge of not renewing my Road America NASCAR spot after this year and after this decision it's pretty much a sure thing, at least I'll get to see the new car in person once.

/rant

Tonight we decided to sell our Daytona 500 tickets, and try another race this year. Narrowed it down to Talladega, Darlington, or Dover.

Everyone talking about trying to get North Wilkesboro back. Meanwhile I’m here hoping for a Rockingham return.

I feel the same. As nice as it would be to see a former short track back on the calendar, Rockingham is far more interesting to me. Oddball shape, differently banked turns with varying radii, grooves from the bottom to the very top of the track, and asphalt that eats tires. The strategy was fun to watch and there were always comers and goers.

Rockingham returning would be great, and while it needs upgrades it's still gonna be Rockingham. I've said it before, but I don't think you can bring North Wilkesboro back without major changes that will alter it severely.

Speaking of Rockingham...

(pre-emptive language warning, there's curse word or two but nothing excessive really)

The Rock is in much better shape than North Wilkesboro right now and there seems to be a lot more interest in getting it back up to full operating status again, most likely because a majority of the infrastructure isn't really that old and is up to modern building codes. Most if not all of North Wilkesboro's buildings and such will likely need to be completely plowed under and redone, and that's about as expensive as building a whole new track facility from scratch, if not more so.

Last edited:
Speaking of Rockingham...

(pre-emptive language warning, there's curse word or two but nothing excessive really)

The Rock is in much better shape than North Wilkesboro right now and there seems to be a lot more interest in getting it back up to full operating status again, most likely because a majority of the infrastructure isn't really that old and is up to modern building codes. Most if not all of North Wilkesboro's buildings and such will likely need to be completely plowed under and redone, and that's about as expensive as building a whole new track facility from scratch, if not more so.

Which makes sense because the Rock I believe had a race 13 years ago whereas it's been 25 years since North Wilkesboro had a race (ignoring the Gong Show that occurred for a bit in the mid aughts).

Chase Elliott will give Nitro Rallycross a try. Even if he doesn't match Kyle's 4th place finish it's nice to see drivers trying other types of racing. Hopefully we'll see a driver attempt the Memorial Day double some time soon.

Also, RPM seems to finally be back on solid financial ground as Focusfactor has signed a multi-year deal to sponsor a majority of the races (until they randomly vanish because their checks started bouncing).

Which makes sense because the Rock I believe had a race 13 years ago whereas it's been 25 years since North Wilkesboro had a race (ignoring the Gong Show that occurred for a bit in the mid aughts).
It was used on and off for some minor stuff beyond that too, I think. It was mentioned in the first video that some of the food preparation equipment left behind in the concession stands was only about 10 years old, and the fire suppression systems in there were basically like new.

Also, RPM seems to finally be back on solid financial ground as Focusfactor has signed a multi-year deal to sponsor a majority of the races (until they randomly vanish because their checks started bouncing).

Dietary supplement, eh? I give 'em until July before they start trying to back out with some ambiguous claim of RPM "not honoring commitments" like Nature's Bakery did.

Dietary supplement, eh? I give 'em until July before they start trying to back out with some ambiguous claim of RPM "not honoring commitments" like Nature's Bakery did.
The same Nature's Bakery that only joined SHR because someone there had a huge crush on Danica Patrick?

Chase Elliott will give Nitro Rallycross a try. Even if he doesn't match Kyle's 4th place finish it's nice to see drivers trying other types of racing. Hopefully we'll see a driver attempt the Memorial Day double some time soon.

Now Chase wouldn't be driving a chevy in that series correct?

Last edited:
The same Nature's Bakery that only joined SHR because someone there had a huge crush on Danica Patrick?
And the same Nature's Bakery that tried to not pay SHR because they claimed Danica wasn't shilling their products enough on her Instagram page. Her personal Instagram, which wasn't officially connected to SHR.

I mean yeah, it's hardly the first or last time a sponsor was full of crap and likely never intended to pay what they promised, but still. Get a plausible excuse.

There have been quite a few instances of bad sponsorship situations. DC Solar. Nature's Bakery (both mentioned here), and let's not forget Tabasco Hot Sauce with ISM Racing, which sued the team (or the group that bought ISM) for switching from Pontiac to Chevrolet during the 1997 season.

There have been quite a few instances of bad sponsorship situations. DC Solar. Nature's Bakery (both mentioned here), and let's not forget Tabasco Hot Sauce with ISM Racing, which sued the team (or the group that bought ISM) for switching from Pontiac to Chevrolet during the 1997 season.
The Tabasco Fiasco is a case study in and of itself of how to do everything wrong with your sponsors, even though some of the changes made sense from a racing perspective. That one was more on the team though, and not Tabasco trying to weasel out of an agreement.

But yeah, bad sponsors come and go pretty frequently in motorsports, and it's kind of hard to not think these magic brain pills sponsoring the 43 are going to be any different. Vitamin supplements only hang around as long as the health fads that spawned the demand for them, and they can't possibly be selling well enough to warrant throwing cash at a racing team... especially as a primary sponsor.

Back