2023/2024 Ford Mustang

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 248 comments
Electrified 5.0...kind of surprised the didn't downsize for efficiency. I'm curious how they're going to hybridize the V8 and add batteries without gaining a huge amount of weight. If the car isn't capable of full-EV operation at city speeds then where will efficiency be gained?

I don’t think weight is factor any longer. If the Taycan can survive at over 5000 pounds and the current Mustang is 4000 pounds, the batteries adding more power will compensate.

This is an all new generation, named S650 internally

I wonder what they're gonna call the electric Mustang considering Mustang Mach E is already taken
Perhaps the "Boss" or "Cobra" nameplate will be revived for an electric model?

I don't think they can, because Thunderbolt is currently a trademark under Intel

Well that’s that.

Mustang GTE/GT-E, Mustang GT with “5.0/E” badge. Could use a name from the planes: Mustang Mach X(the letter, not ten). Let’s see how they solve this one.

Lightning was a thing right? On a Ford pickup truck? Maybe that would make sense here, seeing as it will probably weight the same as one anyway :lol:

Lightning was a thing right? On a Ford pickup truck? Maybe that would make sense here, seeing as it will probably weight the same as one anyway :lol:
They already brought back the Lightning name for the electric version of the F-150.

I don't think they can, because Thunderbolt is currently a trademark under Intel

This likely would not be a problem because it's a completely different product class and I doubt Intel could claim total ubiquity of the name. There are hundreds of products and businesses out there with "Mustang" trademarked that are not Ford, for instance, it's just that none of them are cars.

This likely would not be a problem because it's a completely different product class and I doubt Intel could claim total ubiquity of the name. There are hundreds of products and businesses out there with "Mustang" trademarked that are not Ford, for instance, it's just that none of them are cars.
That's true, but EVs are becoming computers on wheels so I could see Intel arguing something.

I think Lightning could be a possible name even if the F150 has it too. The new Puma WRC hybrid race car has lightning all over it. Maybe they can use it as a general EV / electricity power name

1642309434151.png

Speaking of which, I think Ford really should've sold the Puma here. It's a great looking car and I think it would've sold reasonably well.

Speaking of which, I think Ford really should've sold the Puma here. It's a great looking car and I think it would've sold reasonably well.
Replace the darn EcoSport with it. Change the name to "Ford Exit" or something that matches their US market name scheme.

Replace the darn EcoSport with it. Change the name to "Ford Exit" or something that matches their US market name scheme.
No sense in changing the name! They just need to introduce the Puma name to the US with clever marketing. I think the ST would sell like hotcakes. The tech and interior design looks a bit miserable but I'm sure it's getting a refresh in a year or two.

That's true, but EVs are becoming computers on wheels so I could see Intel arguing something.
For example, "If you put our computer chips in your car, we'll look the other way if you want to use the name too".

Wouldn't surprise me too much if Ford just made Lightning their "performance EV/hybrid" designation, though. It's an easy enough association.

Last edited:
Just be prepared to pronounce it like the world outside of the USA: pew-muh not poo-ma.
That's like me explaining to people in Arizona that a town up north that is spelled Prescott is pronounced "Pres-scott" and not "Pres-sket" like everyone thinks it is. 🤣

1643384538882.png

Ford Performance will re-enter top-level GT racing with a factory-backed Mustang GT3 program that will also be made available to customers beginning in 2024.

Announced Friday at Daytona International Speedway, the all-new Mustang GT3 will compete in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship’s GTD Pro class with a two-car factory effort campaigned by Multimatic Motorsports.

The Multimatic-built car will be powered by a 5.0-liter Coyote-based Ford V8 engine developed by Ford Performance and tuned by longtime partner M-Sport.

The effort will mark Ford’s return to top-level sports car racing competition following its four-year factory Ford GT effort with Chip Ganassi Racing that ended in 2019.

It had evaluated a move to DPi, and eventually what’s since become LMDh, although has opted to instead to remain in the production-based ranks with the global GT3 platform.

[...]

In addition to the GT3-spec Mustang, Ford will be rolling out with a new Mustang GT4 model that’s expected to debut next year.

Thank you, Jesus.

Perfect timing for a Speed Challenge at next Year’s Bathurst 1000.

Last edited:
It's about damn time. I'm really surprised that the Mustang hasn't been running the category constantly for years now. It's literally the perfect candidate.

Hmmm.

I don't think the black is helping. I have faith that it'll look good overall but right now it looks pretty simplistic, and kind of like a vertically squished Ram.

my22-ram-1500-dt-02-gallery-05.jpg.image.1440.jpg

Never thought I'd say that the Mustang looks like a pickup truck but it kinda looks like a pickup truck from the front lol. The current Mustang fascia is really aggressive and sporty which I prefer. I think it should avoid the "muscle car" image because the Mustang never was meant to be a muscle car at all.

Edit: I also see a little Lincoln Continental except blockier.

Also I suppose this is the low-end model based on the wheels and tires so the basic design allows plenty of room to accessorize the higher-performance models. I see, I see. And I assume they're developing the next GT4 and GT3 cars at the same time.

Does anybody wonder how much inspiration they got from Gran Turismo's iteration of the Mustang Gr3? It's not like people haven't been wondering why it isn't a thing since Saleen raced Mustangs decades ago.

Last edited:
Back