2023 Formula 1 Season Car Reveals: Ferrari SF23Formula 1 

• Thread starter TumeK5
  • 19 comments
Finland
Finland
Livery is as expected, but why change something that ain't broke? I personally love the Ferrari text on the rear wing.

Screenshot_14.png

Beautiful car and if they ironed out their problems from last season they should be on par with red bull.. The red bull from last season 👀

In the Ferrari analysis, the ex-Mercedes aero engineers talks about the front wing and the floor for a bit, but most importantly he explains the legality of the secret intake and what it could be used for. Super interesting

Are the car launches required or can teams not show off their new design and if they have to.
Do they have to have a livery that allows the cars design to be seen or can they mask them using camo designs or even things like Vantablack to hide details.

Are the car launches required or can teams not show off their new design and if they have to.
Do they have to have a livery that allows the cars design to be seen or can they mask them using camo designs or even things like Vantablack to hide details.
I don't believe there's any requirement to launch a car, it's mainly the sponsor who require it (and it's good for attracting more potential sponsors). If you remember, 2 or 3 teams actually launched their car in the pitlane at Catalunya, an hour before practice started.

In the vast majority of cases, most cars will have extremely simplified versions of their cars for launch, hiding or not including the 'game changing' parts which teams believe will make a difference, which is why there was such noise over Alfa Romeo's tyre shredders.

No reason why they couldn't use Vantablack, beyond cost limits - it's why when the renders are released, the lighting deliberately hides fine details.

I was wondering which team was going to pull the "let's do something totally wacky with the aero and see if we can get away with it" card first this year. It does make me wonder just how much the front downforce is affected by it though.

Or possibly that's their attempt at an anti-porpoising measure?

Last edited:
Could it be they've made the carbon fibre as thin as possible for weight saving and it's so thin it's bending?

From what the team's technical colleagues are saying, it's because there are two spines which run down the length of the nose and the whole nose cone is wrapped in very thin CF - it's just that the material is flexing in between the two spines. They'll probably make the material thicker or put another spine in down the middle.

Roo
Could it be they've made the carbon fibre as thin as possible for weight saving and it's so thin it's bending?
It would have to be a different material than carbon fibre. Carbon fibre does not bend like that, it would just shatter.

Back