2023 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 768 comments
Seems everyone is coming to NASCAR. :lol:

CoTA is going to be extremely interesting.

Curious to see how he does, he pretty much won every big race last year so he certainly has talent.
Considering who is supplying the ride for Button, he'll be lucky to come out of there with a top 30. This is also a reminder that the 15 team is on the clock - one more season of finishing in the bottom 3 among chartered teams and Rick Ware Racing will lose the charter.

I did call it about Button. I am surprised though that he is going with RWR and not running a Chevy
Button's strong relationship with Mobil 1 is the major part of him being in the Ford. That RWR car is essentially a another Stewart-Haas entry again like last year with Joey Hand.

Award for longest pit road in racing goes to Atlanta Motor Speedway.

This is a bad idea. If they are really keen on making this extension, then rip up the grass on those corners and install a wall so the cars are "protected".

It can't be longer than Road America. Nothing like losing 2 laps coming in under green for 4 tires and a full tank of gas.

They wouldn't have to make that change if, you know, they didn't decide to change the track and turn it into a superspeedway race. :rolleyes:

WILLIAM BYRON GET’S HIS SECOND WIN IN A ROW!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Last edited:
From the "It's not about the attendance" files - the Sports Business Journal reports that NASCAR is expecting 50,000 people per day for its 2-day Chicago street course experiment. Road America, which Chicago replaced on the Cup side, had far more people. Of course, Road America wasn't over $250 for general admission.

Last edited:
From the "It's not about the attendance" files - the Sports Business Journal reports that NASCAR is expecting 50,000 people per day for its 2-day Chicago street course experiment. Road America, which Chicago replaced on the Cup side, had far more people. Of course, Road America wasn't over $250 for general admission.
It has been a while since NASCAR even raced on a temporary course. Last time was 1960 for a race at today's Orange County Airport located near Montgomery, NY. Attendance at that race was a paltry 5,000.

Jimmie Johnson will be running at COTA:

Round 3 of the 2023 eNASCAR Coca-Cola iRacing Series from Atlanta Motor Speedway was earlier tonight.

It has been a while since NASCAR even raced on a temporary course. Last time was 1960 for a race at today's Orange County Airport located near Montgomery, NY. Attendance at that race was a paltry 5,000.

Jimmie Johnson will be running at COTA:

Yea it's been a while like Feb 2023 the "Clash At The Coliseum" before that Feb 2022's Clash both at a temporary track, not even counting the Bristol dirt races that are temporary tracks!

Yea it's been a while like Feb 2023 the "Clash At The Coliseum" before that Feb 2022's Clash both at a temporary track, not even counting the Bristol dirt races that are temporary tracks!
Let me reiterate that. Last time a temporary track such as an airport/street course. Counting Bristol as a temporary track would be pedantic to a ridiculous level.

Regarding Kaulig:

Hendrick has announced their replacement crew chiefs, so presumably they're owning up to their shenanigans.

I have to admit, it is refreshing to see NASCAR actually sticking by their "don't touch that, we mean it" stance. A few years ago this probably would have resulted in Kaulig being publically roasted to distract from Hendrick being quietly reprimanded behind closed doors.

Regarding Kaulig:

Hendrick has announced their replacement crew chiefs, so presumably they're owning up to their shenanigans.

I have to admit, it is refreshing to see NASCAR actually sticking by their "don't touch that, we mean it" stance. A few years ago this probably would have resulted in Kaulig being publically roasted to distract from Hendrick being quietly reprimanded behind closed doors.

Hendrick is still appealing, but they're not anticipating getting the crew chiefs' suspensions eliminated entirely. Atlanta is, after the rebuild, one of 3 tracks where the crew chief isn't very important, and after Atlanta, there are still 4 races between Atlanta and Talledega, one of the other 2 tracks where the crew chief isn't very important.

Harvick will run a tribute to his 2001 scheme at North Wilkesboro even switching to the #29.

That was a extremely enthusiastic Start your engines call.

Edit.

It kinda set the tone for the race so far.

Last edited:
Really wish Keselowski had gotten the win. But nice to see a fairly clean race and a clean finish to a drafting track race. Especially after yesterdays events.

Last edited:
I repeatedly nodded off the entire first two stages. Thankfully the final stage was more interesting. I'm amazed there wasn't the usual giant crash at the end.

With Chevy confirming the Camaro is dead (again), what does the company replace it with in Xfinity and Cup for 2025 and beyond? I guess the obvious answer is the Malibu (Yes, they still make it, and it's still selling pretty well.), but I suppose they could also pull a Honda-in-SuperGT and submit a front-engined C8 Corvette. I can also picture the Xfinity Series morphing into a crossover/SUV class that plops (very, VERY) vaguely Equinox-, Escape- and RAV4-shaped composite bodies onto the current chassis.

With Chevy confirming the Camaro is dead (again), what does the company replace it with in Xfinity and Cup for 2025 and beyond? I guess the obvious answer is the Malibu (Yes, they still make it, and it's still selling pretty well.), but I suppose they could also pull a Honda-in-SuperGT and submit a front-engined C8 Corvette. I can also picture the Xfinity Series morphing into a crossover/SUV class that plops (very, VERY) vaguely Equinox-, Escape- and RAV4-shaped composite bodies onto the current chassis.
Unless NASCAR changed the rule for it, Chevrolet teams will still be allowed to use the Camaro body for at least one more year until they can introduce a replacement. By that time Corvette is planned to be spun off as its own brand and have a four door variant, which is supposed to be an EV but I wouldn't be surprised if they make a low-run V8 version of it as a PR/homologation thing.

I really don't see the Malibu being brought in unless it's a stopgap solution, as the bulk of its sales are to rental fleets and even Chevy doesn't seem that interested in marketing it anymore.

Back