2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
I wish people would stop calling it that šŸ¤£
Well to be fair people need to call the new model something to distinguish it from the rest of the models in the history of the Z-car.

Simply calling it ā€œZā€ can be confusing as the same letter can be used to refer to literally all of the Fairlady/Z-car range ever made.

Calling it the 2023 Z is harder to type and itā€™ll expire eventually as new model years are made, so itā€™ll become confusing then as well.

So IMO of course, I think 400Z is a perfectly acceptable unofficial name to refer to the new Z by.

Also, calling it Z34 is confusing because thatā€™s the internal designation of the 370Z as well. Nissan didnā€™t bother to change it for the new car. We could call it Z34.2 like a Porsche, but at that point you might as well call it 400Z because itā€™s equally as made-up.

400Z was also the name a large portion of automotive media gave it when it was just speculation and renders, so itā€™s kind of stuck over time as well.

Last edited:
Simply calling it ā€œZā€ can be confusing as the same letter can be used to refer
But having it just be Z is what separates it from the rest of the range. 400Z would be quite the opposite. It also doesn't follow the scheme anyway which is by displacement. If people want to correctly rename it should be 300Z. Which falls in line with the others and is still unique because its not a 300ZX.

Last edited:
If Nissan didn't want people to call it 400z they should have given it a real name to begin with; be it 300Z/ZX or just ripping the bandaid off and calling it a Fairlady here as well. It's not like they were terribly concerned about confusing people if they are just going to reuse the chassis code anyway.

Shorthand Z35 seems the most logical, even if it's not the correct chassis code.
But having it just be Z is what separates it from the rest of the range. 400Z would be quite the opposite. It also doesn't follow the scheme anyway which is by displacement. If people want to correctly rename it should be 300Z. Which falls in line with the others and is still unique because its not a 300ZX.
Doesn't need to be unique, per say, just logical. Z31 and Z32 were both 300zx. The new one could also be 300zx.

What makes you think that? The previous generations have been a resounding success. The 400 is still based on the core architecture of the 350 and 370 as well so the design and manufacturing process is probably a lot more simplified than it seems.
That factory looks so old fashioned. I'm almost certain their margins are razor thin, if they making any money at all. The fact that they can re-use the engine is the only reason why this project came to life. The only people that are going to appreciate this car are the tuners. I love that they've made it easier to service, but I can't see it doing well with $5 gas and no practicality. If you want a fun car, the GR86 is probably the better option. I think had the 86 come with 100 extra horses, there would be no reason to have a Supra and nobody would buy a Z or a Miata.

As far as what it's called, shouldn't it just be the NZ? Is the part of the factory that builds it called New Z-land? šŸ‡³šŸ‡æ

Last edited:
That factory looks so old fashioned. I'm almost certain their margins are razor thin, if they making any money at all. The fact that they can re-use the engine is the only reason why this project came to life. The only people that are going to appreciate this car are the tuners. I love that they've made it easier to service, but I can't see it doing well with $5 gas and no practicality. If you want a fun car, the GR86 is probably the better option. I think had the 86 come with 100 extra horses, there would be no reason to have a Supra and nobody would buy a Z or a Miata.

As far as what it's called, shouldn't it just be the NZ? Is the part of the factory that builds it called New Z-land? šŸ‡³šŸ‡æ
There's a 4-cylinder Supra. Other markets probably can't justify the price against the as mentioned, GR86.

I didn't think Iā€™d be saying this butā€¦ I love it. A fair bit more than the Supra even. I kinda hated it when it was revealed, but now I appreciate its experimental design. It feels like the people making it wanted to make something genuine, as opposed to a marketable product.

I hope it does well.

Well to be fair people need to call the new model something to distinguish it from the rest of the models in the history of the Z-car.

Simply calling it ā€œZā€ can be confusing as the same letter can be used to refer to literally all of the Fairlady/Z-car range ever made.

Calling it the 2023 Z is harder to type and itā€™ll expire eventually as new model years are made, so itā€™ll become confusing then as well.

So IMO of course, I think 400Z is a perfectly acceptable unofficial name to refer to the new Z by.

Also, calling it Z34 is confusing because thatā€™s the internal designation of the 370Z as well. Nissan didnā€™t bother to change it for the new car. We could call it Z34.2 like a Porsche, but at that point you might as well call it 400Z because itā€™s equally as made-up.

400Z was also the name a large portion of automotive media gave it when it was just speculation and renders, so itā€™s kind of stuck over time as well.
The answer is RZ34, apparently.

Pretty much expected https://www.goauto.com.au/news/nissan/z/nissan-z-proto-a-sell-out-success/2022-06-01/87975.html

ā€œseveral hundredā€ units have been pre-sold.
The $80,700 (plus on-road costs) Z Proto is finished in Ikazuchi Yellow paint with a black roof, 19-inch bronze forged alloys and yellow-painted brake calipers.
The special-edition Z costs $7400 more than the derivative variant ā€“ which itself is priced a substantial $22,810 above the outgoing model. The former is also kitted out in a two-tone (yellow and black) interio

Canadian prices were announced a couple of weeks ago. I'm still torn between this and the BRZ at the moment.

Source

Z Coupe Sport 6MT
$46,498 CAD​
Z Coupe Sport 9AT
$47,998 CAD​
Z Coupe Performance 6MT
$58,498 CAD​
Z Coupe Performance 9AT
$59,998 CAD​
Z Coupe Proto Spec 6MT*
$64,248 CAD​
Z Coupe Proto Spec 9AT*
$65,748 CAD​

Question to those who have experienced more cars than I have (just about everyone here), as someone who drives like a granny, and doesn't track, what's the likeliness I'll ever feel the effects of not having an LSD?

Question to those who have experienced more cars than I have (just about everyone here), as someone who drives like a granny, and doesn't track, what's the likeliness I'll ever feel the effects of not having an LSD?
If you don't drift, don't launch it hard, don't do burnout, don't do donuts, don't accelerate a lot during a turn and don't go in the snow or dirt, you're not missing out much by not having a LSD.

Canadian prices were announced a couple of weeks ago. I'm still torn between this and the BRZ at the moment.

Source

Z Coupe Sport 6MT
$46,498 CAD​
Z Coupe Sport 9AT
$47,998 CAD​
Z Coupe Performance 6MT
$58,498 CAD​
Z Coupe Performance 9AT
$59,998 CAD​
Z Coupe Proto Spec 6MT*
$64,248 CAD​
Z Coupe Proto Spec 9AT*
$65,748 CAD​

I remember watching this a long time ago when I was interested in getting a 350z and it made me think that an LSD is pretty important with this platform.

@AOS- My 160hp FC spun its inside wheel exiting corners. You need an LSD. Hell, every car should have an LSD. When it rains I have to put my Sequoia in 4x4 to avoid getting stuck halfway through a tight intersection spinning the inside wheel and not going anywhere. My RX-7 did the same thing lol. There were multiple steep driveways I couldn't get up because I would lift a wheel and spin. Not having an LSD is kind of a safety hazard in my opinion. It also makes snow driving possible in a sports car.

what's the likeliness I'll ever feel the effects of not having an LSD?
Do you notice it with the ES? Honestly the only time I ran the car and missed having one was during autocross, definitely noticeable there. In the canyons it never crossed my mind.

@AOS- My 160hp FC spun its inside wheel exiting corners. You need an LSD. Hell, every car should have an LSD. When it rains I have to put my Sequoia in 4x4 to avoid getting stuck halfway through a tight intersection spinning the inside wheel and not going anywhere. My RX-7 did the same thing lol. There were multiple steep driveways I couldn't get up because I would lift a wheel and spin. Not having an LSD is kind of a safety hazard in my opinion. It also makes snow driving possible in a sports car.
Mid and rear engined cars don't really need an LSD unless you have more than like 400hp.

Source

Z Coupe Sport 6MT
$46,498 CAD
Z Coupe Sport 9AT
$47,998 CAD​
Z Coupe Performance 6MT
$58,498 CAD​
Z Coupe Performance 9AT
$59,998 CAD​
Z Coupe Proto Spec 6MT*
$64,248 CAD​
Z Coupe Proto Spec 9AT*
$65,748 CAD​
The "base" model pricing is really, really good. It's within 2k of a base 5.0 Mustang MSRP, which is where I was hoping it was going to be. It also illustrates how whoever is in charge of pricing at Mazda Canada is smoking some pretty good stuff:
Sans titre.png

Mid and rear engined cars don't really need an LSD unless you have more than like 400hp.
Depends what you're doing - like I mentioned, I've had more troubles pulling out of gas station parking lots than I have during sporty driving.

The "base" model pricing is really, really good. It's within 2k of a base 5.0 Mustang MSRP, which is where I was hoping it was going to be. It also illustrates how whoever is in charge of pricing at Mazda Canada is smoking some pretty good stuff:
RF pricing just seems so broken considering what's out there for that price... I'd love one but never at 45k CAD... They need to take off at least 10k and I'd strongly consider one. šŸ¤·

RF pricing just seems so broken considering what's out there for that price... I'd love one but never at 45k CAD... They need to take off at least 10k and I'd strongly consider one. šŸ¤·
You can get better performance for that money sure, but the MX-5 has an iphone-like USP. Miata/MX5 is basically shorthand for small open convertible at this point. There's nothing quite like it. It's just an exceptionally well resolved package that's a very compelling mix of driving experience and quality and design. The 86/BRZ is great to drive but doesn't feel fully resolved from a design point of view (though the new one is miles better) and the Z remains somewhat cheap because it's ancient. I happen to think the Z is also well resolved (as was the 350z and 370z) design & engineering wise, but it's not as a refined a product as the MX-5 is. It's not an iphone.

Do you notice it with the ES? Honestly the only time I ran the car and missed having one was during autocross, definitely noticeable there. In the canyons it never crossed my mind.

I'm going to be honest with you, I've only ever driven about 4 different cars my whole life, all compact to mid-size FF sedans, all stock, under 200hp, only to commute to work in a suburban area. I never steer hard into a turn as I conditioned myself to never put the car in a state of noticeable body roll, and I never give the car enough gas to hear the engine scream.

However that has slowly changed with the ES. I'm going through some rural one-laner bendy roads with a bit more speed, and revving higher than ever before (still haven't touched red-line). I don't know what to feel for to know if the inside wheel is spinning, or if I've actually turned sharp enough to feel the effects of an open diff.... but if the obvious cues are tire squealing, then I think I only experience it once in a blue moon.

I know you drive harder than I do, and if you don't experience it going through the canyon, I probably have never. Appreciate the feedback.

I may not write off the Z entirely just yet. Thanks for the inputs, y'all.

Last edited:

Great video discussing the Z and the current state of sports cars

Watched the whole thing, they do not understand why SUVs are popular. They're not popular because people don't want to have fun, they're popular because people can't really tell the difference.

Last edited:
Watched the whole thing, they do not understand why SUVs are popular. They're not popular because people don't want to have fun, they're popular because people can't really tell the difference.
Fun = mashing the gas on the onramp. That's probably the extent of most people's idea of fun.

Fun = mashing the gas on the onramp. That's probably the extent of most people's idea of fun.
1000%

I do not understand how someone on a racetrack can sit and say that a group, composed 99.9% of people who will never drive on a racetrack and who will never push a car to its limits of lateral grip (at least on dry pavement), should buy a car based on its performance on the track. Punching the gas on an on-ramp and having quick steering response is just about all most drivers care about. These days even minivans and pickup trucks offer that kind of performance.

Last edited:
I also happen to think that demand for sports cars is cyclical and coincides massively with what the bulk of the population needs at the time. Right now, the biggest actively earning cohorts are either Millenials all having families or Boomers going into retirement. Neither of those groups wants/needs sports cars right now. I'd bet that almost all Miata sales are going to spinsters or those few Gen X people who's kids have recently moved out. In 10 years, the Millenials will be getting into the thick of middle age and I'd bet small sports cars have another decent run - though probably electric this time - just like they did in the 90s through early 00s when the the boomers were in that position - or in the mid 60s when the WW2 veteran generation were.

Last edited:
Iā€™ll Bring up my workplace again. When 23 year olds(single guys and gals, no kids) are buying CUVs, Iā€™m not too sure theyā€™ll care about what they drive during the EV age. As long as itā€™s compatible with their latest phone and inexpensive, theyā€™ll buy it.
The rare people, like my step-daughterā€™s boyfriend. Heā€™s 22, making good money, saving for a house, has a new Nissan Navara Warrior thing and fixing up his ā€˜71 Falcon GT. I canā€™t see them getting enthused about cars of the future.

Like is being said, if/when/if the next HondaE gets the Type R treatment, range will be the biggest bragging point. Unless some type of acceleration regulation come into play, most EVs should be quicker than cars of today anyway.

Last edited:
Iā€™ll Bring up my workplace again. When 23 year olds(single guys and gals, no kids) are buying CUVs, Iā€™m not too sure theyā€™ll care about what they drive during the EV age. As long as itā€™s compatible with their latest phone and inexpensive, theyā€™ll buy it.
The rare people, like my step-daughterā€™s boyfriend. Heā€™s 22, making good money, saving for a house, has a new Nissan Navara Warrior thing and fixing up his ā€˜71 Falcon GT. I canā€™t see them getting enthused about cars of the future.

Like is being said, if/when/if the next HondaE gets the Type R treatment, range will be the biggest bragging point. Unless some type of acceleration regulation come into play, most EVs should be quicker than cars of today anyway.
Speed is not what the people in the video or going on about. SUVs are fast. The people narrating in the video are talking about areas where SUVs fall short, neutral cornering, composure at the limit, steering feel. They're saying SUVs are not substitutes for sports cars not because they're too slow, they're crazy fast. They're saying SUVs are not substitutes for sports cars because they don't handle well, and that handling is especially evident on the track... a point which almost no consumers actually care about.

For most people, a fast SUV with modern steering and suspension is going to be MORE fun than a Miata. Because it'll be faster in a straight line. As @Eunos_Cosmo was saying, people just want to punch it on an on-ramp. Also they want to pass with confidence. That's really about it, if it doesn't turn like a boat, that's good enough.

I think car enthusiasts and reviewers need to square up with this fact. Technology has gotten us to a point where most people are more than satisfied with the performance characteristics of SUVs and pickup trucks.

Back