2023 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 769 comments
A question from an ignorant idiot from the Northern Hemisphere: unfortunately my geography knowledge about Australia is extremely limited (as in I know where the continent is more or less) and supposedly when we have winter, you guys have summer and vica versa. I only ever lived in areas with 4 seasons (Hungary, Germany, Northeast US), so for me winter means at least some snow but cold temperatures for sure (like below zero Celsius), even though I'm aware that even in my new(ish) country that's not obvious. Also, my Southern Hemisphere experience is limited to a few weeks spent in the Johannesburg area in South Africa in June/July 2005 (it's a bit heartbreaking to think about the fact that it's been almost 18 years now...)

Anyway, it's hard not to notice that the Supercars calendar would fit our side of the planet perfectly which would mean that a lot of it runs in your wintertime. Should I take it that you don't really have snow and stuff around those locations (or maybe in general)? Again, I'm sorry for such a stupid question.

Last edited:
No snow to worry about, there are regions of Australia that do get snow fall during winter but it’s mostly limited to the relatively small alpine regions. That said, some of the events can be a bit cold and miserable but Supercars tends to head to the tropical regions in the north (closer to the equator) during the height of winter where the temperature is considerably milder.

A question from an ignorant idiot from the Northern Hemisphere: unfortunately my geography knowledge about Australia is extremely limited (as in I know where the continent is more or less) and supposedly when we have winter, you guys have summer and vica versa. I only ever lived in areas with 4 seasons (Hungary, Germany, Northeast US), so for me winter means at least some snow but cold temperatures for sure (like below zero Celsius), even though I'm aware that even in my new(ish) country that's not obvious. Also, my Southern Hemisphere experience is limited to a few weeks spent in the Johannesburg area in South Africa in June/July 2005 (it's a bit heartbreaking to think about the fact that it's been almost 18 years now...)

Anyway, it's hard not to notice that the Supercars calendar would fit our side of the planet perfectly which would mean that a lot of it runs in your wintertime. Should I take it that you don't really have snow and stuff around those locations (or maybe in general)? Again, I'm sorry for such a stupid question.
Believe it or not, it does snow here. It’s more like dustings in Virginia than Michigan though. It did accumulate lots last winter, but that’s rare. Also rare to snow at Bathurst in middle of Spring. https://www.speedcafe.com/2010/10/18/bathurst-white-out/

The Most Southern states of Tasmania and Victoria get cold. Again, similar to where you are and the Tri-State area. However, the races start heading north, to warmer climate, in winter.

I’m in New South Wales(Where Sydney is on the map below). About 600+ miles north of Victoria. In winter, it’ll drop to about 40F at night and early morning, but the sun cracks the horizon and it warms up. The weather is more like Southern states.

1672961303593.jpeg

Last edited:
Should have waited a little longer. I know the suspension isn’t set, but as it is, with those graphics, the side looks very thick.

The cars are gonna look great I’m keen for this years livery launches hopefully better than last year because some of them were crap.

Should have waited a little longer. I know the suspension isn’t set, but as it is, with those graphics, the side looks very thick.
Yeah, I would have preferred them to wait too. At least it seems like teams are getting close to finishing their builds. Just a shame that they don't have more opportunities to test the cars, before the season starts.

Last edited:
No snow to worry about, there are regions of Australia that do get snow fall during winter but it’s mostly limited to the relatively small alpine regions. That said, some of the events can be a bit cold and miserable but Supercars tends to head to the tropical regions in the north (closer to the equator) during the height of winter where the temperature is considerably milder.

Believe it or not, it does snow here. It’s more like dustings in Virginia than Michigan though. It did accumulate lots last winter, but that’s rare. Also rare to snow at Bathurst in middle of Spring. https://www.speedcafe.com/2010/10/18/bathurst-white-out/

The Most Southern states of Tasmania and Victoria get cold. Again, similar to where you are and the Tri-State area. However, the races start heading north, to warmer climate, in winter.

I’m in New South Wales(Where Sydney is on the map below). About 600+ miles north of Victoria. In winter, it’ll drop to about 40C at night and early morning, but the sun cracks the horizon and it warms up. The weather is more like Southern states.

View attachment 1220915
Thanks guys for the clarification! That map is particularly brilliant :)

Has anybody else been watching the BJR clips about Gen 3... and does anybody else get the impression he's pointing out things that could be considered design flaws?

Right from the very early ones Brad hosted I got the impression he was having a dig about the reasoning behind only removing half the clip unlike the NASCAR set up with his ''so, for whatever reason Supercars have decided that we'll bolt this one on half way along'' comment in this clip.

In this one he seems to be having a dig about the fuel tank positioning, or more so, the difficulty with access.

This one seems to be a bit about the odd way they've had to be creative with the steering because, of course, T8 designed the chassis with the Chev motor in mind and not the known-to-be-wider-from-the-get-go Ford motor :rolleyes:. Could steer-by-wire be a better option here? Probably not cheaper to start with but it may (???) work out in the long run.

Even this heat related one could be taken as a bit of a dig (to a sinical old bloke like me :embarrassed::)) because there's no reason the firewall has to be flat. It could easily have some air flow designed under the car to dissipate heat better than a flat section (this will probably affect the Fords more too due to the much more tightly constricted engine within the engine bay).

To me, as previously mentioned, a sinical old bloke could easily see Brad as being very measured with what he's saying but hinting at issues his guys are picking up on during the build... and this is why I thought more engineers should've had input in the earlier stages of development.

Nearly forgot... does this seem like a good idea too you blokes? Brad mentions in that clip how spot on they'll have to be with the rattle guns, but the wheel nuts have a circlip on the back. What the **** do you do if someone does happen to cross thread one? They can't just smash it out and whack another nut in it like they did with the old wheel and tang system. :odd:

Barry Rogers used to be a master at getting away with having dig at Supercars with his ''My mate out the back said'' comments. I'm wondering if Brad has found another way... or am I reading too much into this (You guys can me honest with me. I'm a big boy, I can take it :nervous::lol:).

Jeez I miss having GRM in Supercars. :(

Ie watched a couple and did wonder about the fuel tank and the latest steering design. Weird indeed. pointing out the difficulty of access, figured Supercars would stop the videos.

Ie watched a couple and did wonder about the fuel tank and the latest steering design. Weird indeed. pointing out the difficulty of access, figured Supercars would stop the videos.
That's the thing, I think Brad is staying just inside the line where he can be punished as he's not outright saying anything is bad, he's only pointing out oddities.

Looks to me like T8 aren't sharing build knowledge and are still trying to get a monopoly of sorts for parts... which was their intention for the whole of the Gen 3 car build until WAU, Erebus and BJR pushed back. Pretty sure it's why WAU left the GM side.

Anyway, good on Brad for doing something positive to help all the GM teams... unlike the homologation team.

I know it’s old and tired news, but I still can’t believe the Whole field of Supercars are incomplet’s. We should be seeing Instagram clips of livery reveals, driver excitement, walk around s of cars or at least leaked videos drumming up hype. Sure, next month that’ll happen, but all of this should have been done last year.

Edit: Yep.

Last edited:
Wonder if they’d do a GT4/GT3/Supercars speed comparison at Bathurst.
I’d say so cause Ford are set to have a GT3 Mustang at some point in the near future. Or GM could bring the new GT3 Corvette to, so i could definitely see this happening.

Back