2024 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 202 comments

Called it.
Prediction - Xfinity/Cup doubleheader on Monday as the National Association of Storm Clouds and Auto Racing busts yet another drought.
List of cars going to the back (all except Hemric on the outside line, which should move Ragan up to 30th and Alfredo to 37th before the green flag flies):

Busch (backup car, was to start 34th)
Gragson (backup car, was to start 38th)
Blaney (backup car, was to start 32nd)
Byron (backup car, was to start 18th)
Hemric (backup car, was to start 37th)
Grala (engine change, was to start 26th)

Last edited:
Current 10 day forecast for Hampton, GA is for a 37% chance of showers this coming Sunday. NASCAR has become the true bringer of rains already!

I'm starting to think someone has put a curse on Nascar, there is no way this is a coincidence at this point.

5 laps in and caution as Keselowski turned Nemechek down into Burton, takes out Hocevar, collects a few others including Johnson.

Others involved - Grala, Dillon, Preece. Started with Chastain pushing Keselowski into Nemechek. Only car of those heavily involved to remain on the lead lap is Preece (though, as usual, the instigators didn't get any damage). Grala, Hocevar, Burton all out, Johnson, Dillon 2 laps down.

New leader as the top 3 (Bell/Blaney/Hemric) stay out, green flag on lap 12.

Dillon to the garage, Allmendinger with a drive-through under green as he didn't line up properly for the restart.

The pack is saving fuel, or at least was saving fuel, so Allmendinger was gaining about 1.5 seconds a lap. Unfortunately, the pack just turned up the wick, so he is now losing more than 2 seconds a lap. He'll likely go a lap down before the end of the stage.

Lap 40 - The Penske Fords, Keselowski, Hemric and Bell pit. Lap 41 - Buescher pits alone.

McDowell shuffled to the back of the pack, Berry briefly to the lead, then he got shuffled back. Elliott to the point, 20 to go in stage 1.

Allmendinger, Hemric, Blaney, Bell, McDowell all go a lap down, with McDowell with a possible transmission issue.

Last edited:
McDowell is in trouble, he doesn't have a lot of speed. Blaney probably needed the 31 and 20 only to pit with him. The other Penske cars ran away.

The Chevys and some others come down on lap 55, 10 to go in stage 1. Wallace to the point.

The rest of the Toyotas in now, Gragson to the point.

McDowell doesn't have 5th gear.

Lap 59 - Most of the rest of the Fords pit, leaves Ragan and Preece out. Busch in 3rd and plenty of fuel. McDowell, Allmendinger 1 lap down, Johnson 2 laps down.

3 to go in stage 1 - The Chevy/Toyota freight train pass Ragan/Preece, with Busch in front.

1 to go in stage 1 - Byron the sacrificial lamb to get Team Hendrick to the front.

Elliot wins stage 1, Allmendinger gets the lucky dog. Ragan, Preece and McDowell pit before pit road opens, with McDowell's hood open.

Last edited:
Larson wins the race off pit road, Nemechek stalled (and eventually refired) on pit road, Reddick also with trouble. Keselowski did not pit with the rest of the pack, came down with 1 to go along with Preece, Busch (to serve a too-many-men-over-the-wall penalty), Ragan, Reddick, Nemechek, Herbst, Stenhouse. Dillon back out on track 50-some laps down (I guess he made minimum speed before going to the garage).

McDowell back out, 3 laps down. He, Johnson (2 laps down), Dillon only cars not on the lead lap and still running.

Haley pushes Logano to the point, mostly 2x2 behind the 5-car breakaway (with Buescher/Busch/Preece).

Halfway - 2x2, Gilliland outside, Truex inside.

Lap 111 - Cars jostling to get to the bottom - Gilliland, Wallace both make it there, Preece trapped high until Busch makes it to the bottom. Half the field pitting, Nemechek spins Berry on pit road as Berry pits backwards. Preece speeding.

Lap 114 - Some of the Chevys come down, led by Busch. Larson to the point.

Lap 115 - Green flag stops complete, Larson wins the cycle, going from 19th to 1st. Preece and Berry should hang onto the lead lap.

Lap 122 - 2x2 again, Busch outside, Cindric inside

Lap 125 (5 to go in stage 2) - Haley pitting alone with low fuel pressure

Lap 126 - Bell goes low to make it 3 wide as they're catching Gibbs (don't know why he fell off the pace)/Berry/Preece

Blaney wins stage 2 as he abandoned Cindric. Cindric did get in front of Busch to hang onto 2nd. Gibbs with the lucky dog.

Last edited:
Now it's a night race as the sunset looks very good. Mike Joy jinxed things by noting there have been only 3 cautions, with 2 being the stage breaks.

Race out - Cindric, Blaney, Suarez, Byron, Wallace, Busch

Busch back to pit road with a loose left-front wheel. Fortunately for Busch, his crew chief, and a pair of crew members, the loose wheel didn't pick a fine time to leave.

Suarez with an equipment violation, bottom 14 of 31 on the lead lap came down a second time for fuel. Stage 3 begins in earnest now with a green flag.

Very racey as they're 3x3, with Allmendinger, Reddick, and Buescher leading inside/middle/outside lanes.

Last edited:
Some comers in the top 5 at lap 147 - Allmendinger, LaJoie, Hemric, Hamlin, Ragan (with Busch up to 6th after starting in the back).

Had been 2x2 with Hamlin outside/Busch inside, but Busch hit the wall trying to get to the outside line. Looked to be a square hit, so maybe no suspension damage.

That freed up Logano to take a 4-Ford inside line to the front.

Fords are all lined up on the bottom, with a couple lapped cars also mixed in that line. Pit stops should be coming soon.

23 to go - Pit cycle starts with some backmarkers.

22 to go - Most of the Toyotas in, but not Hamlin.

21 to go - Hamlin, Busch, Haley in, Haley with a slow stop

20 to go - Team Ford in, Chastain to the point.

19 to go - Rest of the lead-lap cars in. Chastain still in front, mostly because he wasn't the only Team Chevy driver to block the Fords.

15 to go - Stenhouse to the front, then he got shuffled. Suarez out front, with Chastain behind him.

12 to go - 3x3 with Chevys leading all 3 lanes. Wallace will need to pit for fuel.

10 to go - Chevys on the inside (Chastain/Byron), Fords on the outside (Logano/Keselowski)

9 to go - Big One as Bowman pushed Byron into Keselowski (karma?). Collects Reddick, Blaney, Logano, Jones, Larson, Truex, a whole heap of others. Red flag.

List of cars that got at least a piece - Larson, Keselowski, Gragson, Hamlin, Blaney, Briscoe, Buescher, Truex, Logano, Hemric, Gilliland, Preece, Jones, Reddick, Stenhouse, Gibbs, Alfredo, Suarez

Yellow back out

Last edited:
I lost track of who doesn't have damage, but Chastain/Bowman/Elliot outside, Byrton/Cindric/Bell inside. 4 to go and green.

2 to go, and the inside lane hung together. Byron out front.

White flag, then yellow. I think Byron won. In either case, it's a Hendrick win.

And it's Byron.

Last edited:
WILLIAM BYRON WINS THE DAYTONA 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Trigger finger on the yellow need to be better coming to the line really. Those cars were sideways in the grass long enough before the leaders crossed the line.

The racing was incredible until the big one, but with the way the racing is now, it’s just an inevitability that they wreck coming to the line. Can’t imagine NASCAR will be wanting many more 500s ending under caution again and again.

Lajoie 4th, Wallace 5th, Allmendinger 6th, Nemechek 7th, Jones 8th.

Last edited:
Trigger finger on the yellow need to be better coming to the line really. Those cars were sideways in the grass long enough before the leaders crossed the line.

The racing was incredible until the big one, but with the way the racing is now, it’s just an inevitability that they wreck coming to the line. Can’t imagine NASCAR will be wanting many more 500s ending under caution again and again.
The white flag was very clearly displayed and taken by the leaders before the yellow. As per the ruling, the race was declared at the time of caution. It's happened plenty of times before and I don't see the rule changing. I'm happy that this race didn't turn into a wreckfest for a change. I was quite surprised to see soo much respect between each of the drivers, because some end up losing patience and start doing stupid things. The Xfinity race immediately after had a bunch of cautions and it was very frustrating to watch.

Last edited:
2025 schedule rumors from Sportsnaut:
  • The Clash goes to Mexico
  • Canada gets a points Cup race (NASCAR ran out of time to get one at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve this year, with that date going to Iowa)
  • There will very likely be a Cup race in southern California even though the Clash won't be at the Coliseum, and the rebuilt Auto Club Speedway won't be ready for the spring West Coast swing and may not be ready at all in 2025
Expanding on the last item, Matt Weaver speculates that Irwindale Speedway won't be the location of a southern California race, but that running with IndyCar at Long Beach or at Kern County Raceway in Bakersfield would be possibilities. I can see issues with all of the alternatives:
  • Irwindale doesn't have the capacity (very few seats, no pit road and no way to create one, and no room for hospitality)
  • Kern County Raceway also doesn't have the capacity and also doesn't have a pit road, but it appears there is room to add temporary seats, a temporary pit road, and some hospitality
  • The Long Beach Grand Prix is in late April (Talladega weekend this year), well outside the spring West Coast spring, already paired with IMSA SportsCar, and pit road may or may not be able to handle 36-40 cars

Last edited:
The front row at Atlanta looks familiar, though this time it will be Michael McDowell that has lane choice for the first time in his career. He'll likely take the outside as his teammate Todd Gilliland will be starting 4th.

Meanwhile, the 10 and 41 had roof rail deflectors confiscated, and the 47 failed pre-qualifying inspection twice, with the engineer ejected and loss of pit selection.

I don't know why but every time I read that someone in sports has been "ejected", I just imagine the officials rounded them up and put them in a spring loaded chair mounted on a crane before raising it high up and with a push of a button, Launched them miles away. My imagination is something...

Last edited:
Pre-race Sunday penalties:
  • The 9 to the back for unapproved adjustments
  • The 22 to the back and a pass-through for Joey Logano wearing unapproved gloves (with a reminder that pit road starts at the entrance of turn 3)

Pre-race Sunday penalties:
  • The 9 to the back for unapproved adjustments
  • The 22 to the back and a pass-through for Joey Logano wearing unapproved gloves (with a reminder that pit road starts at the entrance of turn 3)
To make things more interesting, the gloves were apparently modified to give more downforce when Joey sticks his hand out the window. Clever yet I feel like that is asking for a crash.

To make things more interesting, the gloves were apparently modified to give more downforce when Joey sticks his hand out the window. Clever yet I feel like that is asking for a crash.
Could be worse. Imagine if the gloves created lift.

While I understand why you do that, it was a very foolish move by Gilliland. Makes me think they did it to help Logano too.

Last edited:
Ton of wrecks today, but they’ve almost all been either single car incidents or 3-4 cars. (Not counting that big one on lap 2. So still lots of cars running.

Latest Posts

Back