2024 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 202 comments
Been at least 15 to 20 years. I think there were two 02s or 08s in the aughts.
It's been more recent. In 2019, Germain Racing ran a second team in the Daytona 500 as the #127, while Premium Motorsports ran a team for most of the rest of the schedule as the #27. In 2020, Premium started the year with the #27 as a part-time team, then when Rick Ware bought them out, they changed the full-time #53 to the #27, and the points earned by the Premium #27 entry were shifted to the dormant #127.

In 2021, there were a pair of triple-digit part-time teams (Kaulig #(1)16 and Front Row #(1)36), but nobody else ran the 16 or 36 that year.

75 laps into the race today and the track is shredding tires. Most teams on their 3rd set of tires. They only get 9 sets for today.

They might have to run slower or the cars will smack the wall repeatedly when they cut down tires.

I think shredding tires might be an understatement. This is actually insane how bad they’re wearing. Like, the tires are only good for 45 laps.

Last edited:
Doesn't even look like the tracks taking any rubber. Which means this probably isn’t gonna get much better

Just checked the Goodyear tire notes on Jayski. These are the same tires they ran here in the fall last season.
IMG_9965.jpeg

Edit: Goodyear has begun mounting extra tires. Teams are gonna need them.

Last edited:
Halfway and I genuinely have no idea who’s gonna get it.

Edit: NASCAR has given every team 1 extra set of tires.

Last edited:
Toyota has a vicegrip on this race but it has been extremely competitive.

That definitely made up for the snooze fest that was last weekend with F1, Indy and Nascar combined.

20 years since the last time we had 5 or fewer cars on the lead lap. I remember that Dover race too. That was the one where Kahne crashed while leading and then there was a big one.

NASCAR is the best racing series in the world right now. None of the races have been stinkers, and yes, I'm including Phoenix in that conversation. Next up is COTA, the first road course which is sure to produce a different type of racing again... The competition and variety is unmatched right now.

The tire fall off (or falling apart) at 40 laps was insane. Fun to watch as a fan but nerve racking as heck to the drivers and teams. I liked Larson's confusion in his post race interview. Even he had no idea how he cycled to the front after his late pit road penalty.

The COTA entry list is up, and the surprise is AJ Allmendinger in the third Kaulig entry (#13). Also, Shane Van Gisbergen is in the #16, Timmy Hill is in the #66 (marking Carl Long's return to Cup, both as an owner and as the crew chief), and Kamui Kobayashi is in the 23XI #(1)50. There's no sign of Live Fast, so I guess BJ McLeod couldn't swing a ringer for the road courses like he was hoping to.

As for the tires at Bristol, the change from last year was resin instead of PJ1 put on the lower groove.

Last edited:
The COTA entry list is up, and the surprise is AJ Allmendinger in the third Kaulig entry (#13). Also, Shane Van Gisbergen is in the #16, Timmy Hill is in the #66 (marking Carl Long's return to Cup, both as an owner and as the crew chief), and Kamui Kobayashi is in the 23XI #(1)50. There's no sign of Live Fast, so I guess BJ McLeod couldn't swing a ringer for the road courses like he was hoping to.

As for the tires at Bristol, the change from last year was resin instead of PJ1 put on the lower groove.
Does that mean Project 91 is on hiatus?

The restart zone at COTA has been changed to give the leaders even more of a boost. I take it the drivers have never played Gran Turismo and seen how bad an idea allowing the front couple rows to get away while the majority of the field is still negotiating the last turn (like the rolling starts at Bathurst or Spa) is for those not in the first couple rows.

Last edited:
It was weird seeing that one truck's complete rear axle breaking off during the end of the NASCAR Trucks race at Circuit of the Americas (COTA). Last time I seen a rear axle break off, it was once at a WWF/WWE event.

You know, I love how NASCAR has had more road racing the past 10-20 years. I am also glad it is being more embraced. It used to be that most teams would hire "wringers" to do the road course races. Also, road racing in the rain. I'm one of the ones who enjoy NASCAR road racing.

In semi-related news, Skip Barber Racing School has bought SRX and plans on bringing it back this year. No track dates have been announced yet.
It was weird seeing that one truck's complete rear axle breaking off during the end of the NASCAR Trucks race at Circuit of the Americas (COTA). Last time I seen a rear axle break off, it was once at a WWF/WWE event.
That is not a fun thing. I had a half-shaft come off on me once. Fortunately, I felt it work loose and managed to get the van on the shoulder just before it slid all the way out.

Last edited:
In semi-related news, Skip Barber Racing School has bought SRX and plans on bringing it back this year. No track dates have been announced yet.

That is not a fun thing. I had a half-shaft come off on me once. Fortunately, I felt it work loose and managed to get the van on the shoulder just before it slid all the way out.
I’m happy to hear SRX is coming back. I’ve enjoyed each race of each season, and I’m looking forward to more.

I’ve had two half-shafts break on me. The first was on a 1980 Subaru GL wagon with over 300k miles. It was a front half-shaft so I was able to limp it home with the 4wd. Thankfully it happened only four blocks from home. The second time was in a Volvo S40, and I was about ten miles from home. I was stopped at a traffic light late at night. The light turned green, I started to accelerate, there was a loud bang and then there was no more forward drive. I had to push my car into a parking lot in a business park and then bum a ride from my dad to get home. I had leave the car there for about two months until I had the money to get it towed and repaired.

Last edited:
William Byron wins in dominating fashion at Circuit of the Americas!

In part-timer news:
  • Ty Dillon will be in the Kaulig #16 for the two Richmond races, the Texas race, the New Hampshire race and the fall Kansas race
  • MBM will be in the All-Star Open with Timmy Hill and the Coca-Cola 600 with David Starr

A follow-up to the rumor that NASCAR/IndyCar could do a Long Beach doubleheader - NASCAR is reportedly looking at buying a 50% stake in the Long Beach Grand Prix that became available from the estate of one of its co-founders. Roger Penske, who, among other things, owns IndyCar, is reportedly opposed to a NASCAR purchase, and is also looking at acquiring that stake.

A further follow-up - the holder of the other 50% stake is buying the rest, and keeping it on the IndyCar calendar. Apparently, in addition to NASCAR and IndyCar, Formula One wanted back in Long Beach, with ownership.

Last edited:
Back