24Hr Races - Unfair or Fair

  • Thread starter Thread starter MaxxTraxx
  • 62 comments
  • 4,348 views

Unfair or Fair 24 hr. races?


  • Total voters
    155
YuRiPa
Those are cars like the BMW M Race Car, JGTC Cars, (NSX LM Race Cars, Mazda RX-7 LM Race Cars, 350Z LM Race Cars; am not so sure about these LM Cars though, because the C5R was just in my Le Mans Race) etc. Only dunno their laptimes. But I'll start this race tonight with my BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car, so then I'll know their laptimes.:)
In the 4 hr race its road cars, in the 24hr race touring type cars and JGTC, that sorta class but I was in a CLK DTM and still won by a long, long way. I did about 6 hours of actualy driving. (3 at the start, three at the end.
 
So the 24hr race is 500HP race cars? Yikes. That could be intense.
 
I'm doing the Nurburgring 24h Endurance now, with my BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car. Thought it would be a little bit faster than the BMW M3 Race Car, but it's 40 seconds per lap faster. My McLaren drives 6m45, fastest lap from the BMW is 7m21. The Opel Calibra, who's third, drives 7m26 or so. :)
 
24h races make the game more like the real life!!

I just think that we could play with many types of weather, like rain, fog, day and night!!!
 
question, in a 24 hour race, do you have to drive 24hrs straight or can you save during the race
 
Saving is impossible, you have to either put the race on B-spec mode, or pause the game, let your PS2 on, and continue in A-spec later.

With 24h races, no difference in day and night, and that's really a shame. If putting 24h races in the game, make them realistic enough by adding day and night difference. That would be very cool, hopefully that's in GT5.:)
 
Just completed Nurburgring 24hr with my cerbera speed 6 from the used car lot's. Tuned it and gave it an oil change but didn't fiddle with the setting's. Was getting lap times just under 7 mins with racing medium on the front and racing hard on the back. best fun i've had for ages as it gets real unstable at high speeds. Think i won by 4 laps in the end but b-spec did half of it.
 
The idea of the 24 hour race is pretty neat, but it's kinda getting out of hand

not that the race is difficult in any way, it just seems like a way to make you spend more time into the game. It's just longer more than anything

I am extremely grateful for B-spec. If there was no B-spec, I bet it'll probably take me atleast a week of leaving the PS2 on and paused before i can finish one of those 24 hour races. Other than that, I find that B-spec driver is utterly useless.
 
Racing is not fair, you should use the most powerful car that is allowed. You think the Audi teams said, "hmmm, maybe we should make the R8 slower it will seem like a better competition"?
 
I think it is plenty fair. I have been waiting for a 24 hour race for a long time, especially for one at Le Mans. The only other time I have ever done a 24 hour race was back with IndyCar II about 8 or 9 years ago, where a couple of friends and I calculated how many laps we could run at Elkhart Lake in 24 hours, changed the race settings accordingly, and then passed the save game around every three to four hours. That's also why B-Spec is fair, because even in real life nobody drives for 24 hours, but there are always several drivers dividing the driving time for one car.
 
I am currently doing the Nurb in B-Spec, but can anyone tell me if there is an Automatic gear overwriter in real life, like the R2 button is in GT4(Cause sometimes i wanna have some extra revs)
 
I think they are fair, especially with B-spec. Without B-spec, no way, and I would have been pissed if that was the case and they still make the F1 car and Audi R8 the prize cars for those races.

I just completed my first 24hr race (LeMans I) and my R8 and I are a match made in heaven. Next will be the Bentley Speed 8 and finally, the F1, which leads to my ultimate goal of the Sauber C9. I can't wait to replicate laps on the 'Ring like that video that floats around these forums (although the R8 is pretty darn quick around the 'Ring too.)
 
OK guys, by Unfair or Fair 24 hr races, I mean do you LIKE To make them fair, by racing with the same class of cars, or not , by using like a R8
 
Oh. That's what you mean. Poorly worded initial question.

So, here's my response to the newly formatted question:

At first, I want to win the cars and the money, so I don't mind being unfair. But, in the endurance races, unless you already have the F1, it's hard to enter an unfair car in the races since you don't have anything that's way better than the Group C cars that run in those races.

After I win, maybe I'd go back later and use a car that I think is a bit slower and see how I do in a 24hr race.
 
For those of us who have families, jobs, school(higher education) + jobs, it's 'unfair'. If this was 6+ years ago, I would deffinatly run all 24, but now that would take me more than a week and a half to do now. I set in on b-spec, and I'll come back to it when kids are asleep and once he pits, then I'm in for usually about 2 hrs worth. I will do the other endurance races though, as I should get 2 hrs in per night, and can finish w\i 2-3 days.
 
Using one of the super-fast Prototypes (Speed 8, Peskies, R8, Minolta Toyota, BMW LMR, GT-One, 787B) with Stage 4 power is "unfair".

In the Sarth 24-Hour, using the '04 Pescarolo, my B-Spec goon put three laps on the Sauber in 10 hours with the speed at "3" (Steady), then pulled further away at "2" (Cruise). When I drove, I was something like twelve seconds a lap faster than the Sauber. That's "unfair", I guess.

The trick is to find a car that is only a match, and no more, for the AI. Our good friends at Polyphony Digital have no idea how to make that a simple process for us, so we have to experiment with various cars, repeatedly testing, entering to check on who our AI opponents are, exiting, re-entering, etc., etc., ad infinitum...

I've found that the Peugeot 905 and Mercedes CLK-GTR are incapable of winning the Sarth races, while the 21st-century cars are incapable of losing. I'll be checking them all, in hopes of finding one that my B-Spec driver and I will have to work hard with to win. This may take a while...
 
Well...
I made some math here [once again, sorry about the bad english! I'm a brazilian guy just learning english yet] and here it goes:

Driving 100% 'B-Spec' u could make it in about 8h. Pit-stop takes from u close to 30s. 4 laps and a pit, making 7min per lap, it'll be almost 206 laps in a row.

Considering 8h in B-Spec mode u'd be too tired!!
[se alguém fala inglês e português aqui, como eu falo 'SERIA CANSATIVO'?] <-- here i'm asking for some brazilian translation help! ^^

Well, I still think it's fair! But the weather and day/night lights would be great piece for GT5!! [o=
 
It's not that tough to find a match because you just have to look at the HP/weight ratios, etc. That much is easy for me. What I find a little frustrating is that the AI seems to be slow when you're ahead of him and speeds up greatly when he's ahead. I noticed this when I was doing the special condition hard dirt races (grand canyon, etc.). If I stayed ahead of him he was easy to hold off. If he got ahead of me it was hell to catch up to him.

Is that my imagination or does the AI change his ability according to being 1st or not 1st?

Zardoz
Using one of the super-fast Prototypes (Speed 8, Peskies, R8, Minolta Toyota, BMW LMR, GT-One, 787B) with Stage 4 power is "unfair".

In the Sarth 24-Hour, using the '04 Pescarolo, my B-Spec goon put three laps on the Sauber in 10 hours with the speed at "3" (Steady), then pulled further away at "2" (Cruise). When I drove, I was something like twelve seconds a lap faster than the Sauber. That's "unfair", I guess.

The trick is to find a car that is only a match, and no more, for the AI. Our good friends at Polyphony Digital have no idea how to make that a simple process for us, so we have to experiment with various cars, repeatedly testing, entering to check on who our AI opponents are, exiting, re-entering, etc., etc., ad infinitum...

I've found that the Peugeot 905 and Mercedes CLK-GTR are incapable of winning the Sarth races, while the 21st-century cars are incapable of losing. I'll be checking them all, in hopes of finding one that my B-Spec driver and I will have to work hard with to win. This may take a while...
 
didn't try it yet as I'm still looking for the best race car for my way to drive.
but I think I'll play as much as I can then use B-spec to go to sleep and then when I wake up I'll take control in A-spec etc...

as for cars I definitely won't choose a "fair" car but rather one with a slight advantage because of the way the AI bumps you around and don't even slow downs when it does it..
Why would you play fair when the AI is cheating ? I mean it goes in the sand without slowing down sometimes you see it make a frontaL impact on the borders and it barely slows down...

being fair is not being stupid ;)
 
I think unfair is the way when you're aiming for game completion and/or 100% win ratio. After it's all done, then you will get the urge to go back and prove yourself that you can do it fairly.

That's my opinion, but my judgment may be clouded by the fact that I have been away from GT4 for 6 days now...:crazy:

If I change my mind I'll let you all know...

When I get back... :drool:

Next Thursday... :banghead:
 
There is a pause button and you can leave the PS2 on forever without any problems. Mine's been on for years and it still works fine.

TsLeng
Not fair.

Should be able to save mid-race. Its still a game after-all.
It should have a choice for the noy-so hardcore gamers(or not so much time available) to have a chance to race it rather than B-spec it.
 
for those who are leaving their PS2 on all the time, obviously it's not all the time with a game in, but when it is paused, don't you have to worry about disc burn??
 
I worry about my wife waking up and turning it off thinking I had "forgoten" to do it, like she did once in GT3. I don't think she will do that again...
 
FRST
didn't try it yet as I'm still looking for the best race car for my way to drive.
but I think I'll play as much as I can then use B-spec to go to sleep and then when I wake up I'll take control in A-spec etc...

as for cars I definitely won't choose a "fair" car but rather one with a slight advantage because of the way the AI bumps you around and don't even slow downs when it does it..
Why would you play fair when the AI is cheating ? I mean it goes in the sand without slowing down sometimes you see it make a frontaL impact on the borders and it barely slows down...

being fair is not being stupid ;)


How do you swicth between B-spec and A-spec I thought you could only stay in one mode??????EXPLAIN!!!....:banghead: Please ....:(
 
The DVD spins down when not in use. I know that because mine is pretty noisy and I can hear it when it's spinning.

mad j racing
for those who are leaving their PS2 on all the time, obviously it's not all the time with a game in, but when it is paused, don't you have to worry about disc burn??
 
Man i spend hour after hour playing endurance races in GT3, but B-spec ruined it for me, i meen in GT3 we had to race, and i loved it, but now ... baah B-Spec sucks .. wish it wasnt in the game
 
I would be happy to race the Circuit de la Sarthe course in a-spec, but not the the 'Ring, and maybe the II Sarthe.

I mean, even though I've done it on an arcade racer 3 times for a full on 24 Hours (LeMans 24 Hours;PS2) with a R8, and have even done it on GTR with a downloaded Circuit de la Sarthe track.

Hard on GTR, but fun as hell.
 
If the race says ALL CARS or ANY CARS are allowed to race, is it really unfair to run a car that will kick everyone's ass? IMHO no! Would you bring a slingshot to a gunfight? If I can use the car I know has no chance of getting beaten...I'm gonna use it.
 
I think that PD probaly should of made the races spec tighter. So it would be atleast a little harder , and the game wouldn't be so easy to blow threw.



How can 132 people vote , but only 58 (including double posters of the topic) people want to write something!
 
Are 24 hour races fair or unfair in GT4? Depends on how you want to define fair. Is fair about completing races without having to GameShark your way through it? Is fair about using an Audi R8 over road-going Vipers and Corvettes? Is fair as in "why do we have to do these ultra-long races?" I don't know how you want it defined, but like Dave Despain, I'll give you my take on this.

The inclusion of 24 hour races is new to Gran Turismo, but not if you've played "Test Drive Le Mans" or the much better version, "Le Mans 24 Hours." In my PS2 experience, I've raced the 24 Hour race at Le Mans three times. The race denominations include 10 minutes, 24 minutes, 4 hours, and all 24 hours. Along the way, there were time cycles as the sun gave way to the moon and stars. Then later, the moon and stars gives way back to the sunlight. While realistic time cycles aren't present in GT4, 24 Hours is still a big challenge for anyone. As an old expression goes, "a rose by any other name is still a rose." Endurances in GT1 were about an hour for the SSR11 race and roughly 2 hours for the GV 300km. I don't have too much experience with GT2 endurances, but they were about an hour to two hours. GT3...Seattle was roughly an hour while Tokyo R246 was around 2 hours, 45 minutes. GT4's endurances are more of... well, endurances. B-Spec can be very helpful for those who don't have a lot of time on their hands and want some tough competition. Personally, it's a very wonderful concept to compliment Le Mans and Nurburgring Nordschleife. Is it then, fair? Well, racing is like life. It has its sweet moments, then its truly bitter moments. Racing is all about getting down and dirty, and if you aren't ready to do just that, you shouldn't be involved in racing, much less video game racing.

So to make a long story short, is this deal fair? For some, it isn't. For many others, it is. But I say... it's fair.
 
Back