Mercedes AMG GT (2016 SLS "successor"?)

Do you think Mercedes should make the SLC?

• Yes, but I don't have a preference towards any of the renders

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Yes, render 1, please!

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Yes, I would like render 2

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Yes, render 3 for me

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • No, that is a stupid idea that could only be created by infantile eggheads.

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Michigan
OriginalCheezIt
The AMG GT is a sports coupe that is smaller, lees powerful, and, naturally, less expensive than the current SLS.
Auto Bild said (they are a very reliable source concerning German cars) the SLS will be discontinued in 2015 (after a "Final Edition" facelift), but they rumored about a spiritual successor which could be bigger/more expensive (maybe equipped with the AMG V12?).

I dont know whether this car will be named SLC or not. German media so far has always called it "Mercedes GT". The SLC is a totally different car, check the Mercedes R 107 SL class (SLC means "Super Leicht Coupe" and only referred to the coupes of the SL class).

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...orsche-jaeger-kostet-130000-euro-5036215.html

Here the AMuS refers to it as GT, but also says the prototype is named SLC.

I hope they name it GT because I want a true SLC successor (this car sounds way to sporty to be a true grand tourer) in the future.

The AMuS (Auto Motor und Sport) listed its specs, a 4L TwinTurbo V8 producing 500hp, 1500kg weight, 130000€ (~$175,000) price. A few months ago Auto Bild also said there will be some kind of sport package with more hp/less weight.

edit: A few users here seem to be confused. This is NOT a SLK successor. This car is aimed to compete with the 911, see it as a sportier SL.

ADDITIONAL INFO FROM MERCEDES (5/21/14):
http://www.mercedes-amg.com/amggt

Mercedes-AMG-GT-Exterior%25255B3%25255D.jpg

HERE ARE SOME SPY PHOTOS (11/11/13):
http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/...me/attachment/baby-sls-amg-5-650x433/#gallery

TEASER PHOTO FROM THE S-CLASS ANNOUNCEMENT (4/17/14):
x64cuqqsefcpncfuyfyq.jpg

AND SOME OFFICIAL INTERIOR SHOTS:
Mercedes-AMG-GT-00%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Mercedes-AMG-GT-02%25255B3%25255D.jpg

AND THE ENGINE:

New spy shots showing some aero revisons. I'm speculating AMG are testing aero for a potential Black Series. Again, I'm just speculating.
sls-amg-spy-updated-9.jpg

sls-amg-spy-updated-4.jpg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/scoop/mercedes-amg-gt-nears-september-reveal

Last edited:
True the photoshop post. I go for the middle one. Looks less like an SL/SLK. I favor the proprtions of the SLS over the high wide butt of the SL/SLK.

~1500kg and ~500hp basically is the SLK these days (the days when the SLK weighed under 3000 pounds seem so distant), so it will be a (sportier) coupe equivalent?

The photocopying business must be booming in Germany. I honestly thought it was a refreshed model of the SLS even after reading the thread title.

I really like the first rendering. It looks like it would be a good replacement for the aging SLK with a few more styling tweaks. The second rendering, while beautiful, looks far too much like the more upscale SLS for Mercedes to consider it. I can't even tell anything from the third rendering.

I believe the SLK's only about a year or two old, so unlikely to be replacing that with this. From what I remember, the SLS won't be getting another generation; this will effectively replace it, though in a slightly downmarket position.

I believe the SLK's only about a year or two old, so unlikely to be replacing that with this. From what I remember, the SLS won't be getting another generation; this will effectively replace it, though in a slightly downmarket position.

Word on the web is that the SLS will get a full fledged successor, but it won't be for a while. The SLC will hold top banana for 5-6 years.

Sources:
http://www.egmcartech.com/2013/10/0...successor-is-confirmed-but-quite-a-ways-away/
http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/10/03/mercedes-benz-commits-to-sls-amg-successor/
http://www.worldcarfans.com/113100263713/mercedes-sls-amg-to-get-a-direct-successor-eventually--

Auto Bild said (they are very reliable concerning german cars) the SLS will be discontinued in 2015 IIRC, but they rumored about a spiritual successor which could be bigger/more expensive (maybe equipped with the AMG V12?).

I dont know whether this car will be named SLC or not. German media so far has always called it Mercedes GT". The SLC is a totally different car, check the Mercedes R 107 SL class (SLC means "Super Leicht Coupe" and only referred to the coupes of the SL class).

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...orsche-jaeger-kostet-130000-euro-5036215.html

Here the AMuS refers to it as GT, but also says the prototype is named SLC.

I hope they name it GT because I want a true SLC successor (this car sounds way to sporty to be a true gran turisno) in the future.

BTW the AMuS listed its specs, a 4l TwinTurbo V8 producing 500hp, 1500kg weight, 130000€ price. Few months ago the Auto Bild also said there will be some kind of sport package with more hp/less weight.

Here the renders from Auto Bild (keep in mind the most recent Mercedes cars stayed very close to the pre production prototype renders):

mercedes-benz-gt-2.jpg

Illustration-Mercedes-GT-729x486-f5f81dacdc61ac1a.jpg

edit: A few user here seem to be confused. This is NOT a SLK successor. This car is aimed to compete with the 911, See it as a sportier SL.

Last edited:
OK, I need a hand on this. The car in question is called the GT, even though the car is being termed by MB as the SLC. It has nothing to do with the SLK or SLS. It is supposed to fight the new 911, classified as a super car where the SLS is classified as a grand tourer. Have I missed anything here? I feel I have.

OK, I need a hand on this. The car in question is called the GT, even though the car is being termed by MB as the SLC. It has nothing to do with the SLK or SLS. It is supposed to fight the new 911, classified as a super car where the SLS is classified as a grand tourer. Have I missed anything here? I feel I have.

Its not official, its just german media refering it as GT. Auto Bild was first to report about this car (can't remember exactly in which monthly issue), they said its named GT. In fact, this threads OP and that AMuS report I quoted earlier was the first time I stumbled over the "SLC" since 2010/2011. Back then it was already rumored that MB would launch a smaller SLS brother, named SLC, to compete with the 911. Also I doubt MB termed it as SLC intern, Im sure AMuS did an error here. As far as I know, MB terms their grand projects by the chassis code (f.e. W204 for the current C Class).

I don't know if it's wise to name this car SLC , but with a new SLR coming, I can see them doing this to create a SLC/SLS/SLR family.

Also my infos about the SLS are just rumours from the Auto Bild and I have yet to see another source confirm them. I would be totally fine with it, I always prefered to compare the SLS with cars like the Maserati GranTurismo and not the 458s/MP4-12Cs of this world.

edit: A prototype shot of its rear

Mercedes-SLC-AMG-2014-spy-shots-Erlkoenig-2.jpg

I think its a great idea (especially if there's a Black Series version :eek: :drool:), but only if they get it right. Plenty of people are wanting an SLS, but can't afford one, so a smaller, cheaper sub/semi-SLS would be a nice little niche car, which is exactly what Mercedes seem to be catering to, anyway. If its got the twin-turbo V8, the AMG 7-Speed, looks like the 2nd or 3rd render in the OP, and a price tag around $100K, it would be a pretty nice alternative to the XKR-S/GTR/new baby Aston (perhaps :sly:). Just my $.02.

EDIT: Plus, gotta love that tiny ducktail! :dopey:

Not liking the name but from the silhouette is does look like what it should look like (if that make sense).

So this sits between the SL and SLS right?

Are they sure they have enough air vents :lol: On a side note the new S Class interior is amazing.

The SLS is dead but I think the GT is below the SLS. If it's a 911 competitor it'll likely cost just over half of what the SLS went for.

I still can't get over the navi screens Mercedes is going with now. They remind me of Ipads just placed on the dash. Not terrible just a bit unusual compared to what everyone else is doing.

Car itself looks promising. Interior is stunning.

Back