Mercedes AMG GT (2016 SLS "successor"?)

Do you think Mercedes should make the SLC?

• Yes, but I don't have a preference towards any of the renders

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Yes, render 1, please!

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Yes, I would like render 2

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Yes, render 3 for me

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • No, that is a stupid idea that could only be created by infantile eggheads.

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is the new twin-turbo V8 for the AMG GT.
merc-amg-engine-1-0019.jpg

merc-amg-engine-1-0014.jpg

http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/06/13/503hp-4-0-litre-twin-turbo-v8-confirmed-for-2016-mercedes-amg-gt/

It's called the M178, that sounds like military hardware.

It simply won't happen. That much power in those cars would easily have them on the heels of their upper class sister models. And Porsche has already showed us what happens when this comes into effect with the Cayman & the 911.

To be fair, BMW at least didn't seem too terribly worried about that before they turned the Z4 into a boulevardier; so I think the chance exists that they could at least still put the new M3 engine in it.

Not really. Should they do the SLK I described, it would be the sporty lightweight B-road barn bomber, whereas GT is.. Well, GT.

They are in the 'V' of the block much like Ford's powerstroke and BMW's new turbo engines.

Edit: Quoted the wrong person and also tree'd.

Edit2: That will be a pretty kickass looking power unit with the engine cover removed. Just imagine opening the hood and seeing those twin turbos just sitting right there at the top.

Sorry guys. That was sent to me while I was working and was like "OMG gotta post on GTP". I should have looked at it for more than .5 seconds. lol

Sorry guys. That was sent to me while I was working and was like "OMG gotta post on GTP". I should have looked at it for more than .5 seconds. lol
Hey it happens, I just thought that series of comments was particularly funny.

i remembered seeing a documentary about a guy from abu dhabi who had an 2007 SLK with an SLR engine. He had to cut make a hole on the hood because it doesn't exactly fit in the SLK lol. I thought it was pretty neat

A Black Series? So early in the lifetime of the machine I highly doubt it'd be so.

Yeah, Black Series versions tend to appear towards the end, or at least halfway through the life-span of their respective counterparts.

Looks like they're keeping the proportions of the SLS, with the long bonnet. I feel like there's a hint of the Vision-GT in there too...

It's a 'hot side-inside' design. You can see them in the second (cutaway) pic.

So does the exhaust exit through the inside of the V straight to the turbos (similar to the 918)? Doesn't look like there would be enough room for the intake manifold to be inside the V with those turbos there, not to mention how hot it would be.

So does the exhaust exit through the inside of the V straight to the turbos (similar to the 918)? Doesn't look like there would be enough room for the intake manifold to be inside the V with those turbos there, not to mention how hot it would be.
Here's a cutout of the BMW S63B44T0 from the F10 M5. The Mercedes engine appears to be using a very similar design.

x5menginebreakdown2.jpg

Latest Posts

Back