• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 3,041 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
St.Pete, FL
NotThePrez
NotThePrez
Rumors buzzing around right now that Honda has bought out Alonso's contract and that He'll be with McLaren in 2015. Obviously nothing confirmed.

Also, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to change this thread to the 2015 driver development thread now, or wait until the end of the season?

Since the '14 thread shouldn't still be active until October with news concerning next year, all future posts should be put here. I'll update this post with each confirmation.

Caterham?:
TBA
TBA

Scuderia Ferrari:
Kimi Raikkonen
Sebastian Vettel

Sahara Force India:
Nico Hulkenberg
Sergio Perez

Lotus:
Pastor Maldonado
Romain Grosjean

McLaren:
Jenson Button
Fernando Alonso

Mercedes AMG Petronas:
Nico Rosberg
Lewis Hamilton

Infiniti Red Bull Racing:
Daniel Ricciardo
Daniil Kvyat

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson
Felipe Nasr

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
Max Verstappen
Carlos Sainz Jr.

Williams Martini Racing:
Felipe Massa
Valtteri Bottas

(Note: These were gotten from Wikipedia. If it turns out that these are wrong before something else happens, please let me know.)

Last edited:
As mentioned in the '14 thread, rumor has it that Honda has bought out Alonso's contract and that he'll be racing in 2015 with McLaren, potentially replacing Kevin Magnussen.

Mclaren isn't going to get rid of Magnussen, it's basically fact.

he is outperforming Button consistently in qualifying now and for a few issues it would be the same in the races.

If they where team mates next year Button would be beaten by him without a doubt.

Ιndeed, I read somewhere that Caterham may not have money for tyres at the Japanese Grand Prix, so Ericcson should be a must for then in 2015 (if there is a Caterham F1 team in 2015...)

Pirelli were withholding tires from them before the weekend started in Singapore and they've threatened to continue withholding tires from the team for the Japanese GP.

Or we could start talking about drivers for 2015, you know, because apart from Kobayashi, everything seems pretty sorted for 2014.

With Sainz basically guaranteed of the F3.5 title now after dominating Paul Ricard what are Redbull going to do with him now?

As much as Max Verstappen is an epic talent did Redbull really need to sign him given how much talent they have in their program already?

Maybe Caterham should make a move to sign Max Chilton too.
A dream team of Chilton and Ericcson will guarantee to keep them on the (rear of the) grid :lol:

As much as Max Verstappen is an epic talent did Redbull really need to sign him given how much talent they have in their program already?

It's no different to Ferrari's one-time habit of signing up as much talent as possible to stop others doing so, Infiniti Red Bull have the budget to hold the best options and they do.

It's no different to Ferrari's one-time habit of signing up as much talent as possible to stop others doing so, Infiniti Red Bull have the budget to hold the best options and they do.
Possible but Max is still very much Unproven, where Sainz is, many Drivers have done well in a 3rd Tier Series like Euro F3 and failed to progress much further in terms of results.

Trulli had a similar burst to Cars as Max did but he didn"t end up being a once in a generation Talent, you are still banking on more to be there then at the Given time, not saying he isn't.

Possible but Max is still very much Unproven, where Sainz is, many Drivers have done well in a 3rd Tier Series like Euro F3 and failed to progress much further in terms of results.

Trulli had a similar burst to Cars as Max did but he didn"t end up being a once in a generation Talent, you are still banking on more to be there then at the Given time, not saying he isn't.

A number of people feel that Verstappen's the real deal, that should be enough for IRBR to snap him up. And "banking" on the talent is exactly the right word. They have the wealth to buy up the talent.

There's another factor too (possibly maybe); there's a regulation that says that the teams must field three cars if required to do so. That's made the news again recently; my feeling is that if push-came-to-shove the teams would appeal against the rule, probably arguing that it's archaic and from a time when budgets were much less limited and you could build an F1 car in any reasonably-equipped vehicle workshop with 15 mechanics. Doesn't hurt to have some more drivers ready just in case.

Well if it comes to that then Sainz would be put in the STR, but I honestly don't see 3 car teams getting approved by the teams, only a couple want it to happen.

If Alonso goes to McLaren, Ferrari will no doubt target Vettel. That will create a gap in Red Bull's line-up, and I expect they would promote Kvyat, creating a vacancy at Toro Rosso that Sainz could fill.

Alternatively, they could do what they did with Ricciardo, and place Sainz in a smaller team like Caterham or Marussia.

I think that would be likely with the smaller team, but Caterham and Sauber look unlikely of being on the grid next year at this point.

Bainchi is also possible of going to Ferrari so that seat could be open too.

Why, because they're at the back of the grid? Sauber admit they've built a bad car. Caterham admit the team was structured the wrong way. Both are struggling, but struggling is not a sign of dire straits. Sure, Bernie is talking up three cars, but if you actually read what he is saying, he is only repeating an existing rule.

Why, because they're at the back of the grid? Sauber admit they've built a bad car. Caterham admit the team was structured the wrong way. Both are struggling, but struggling is not a sign of dire straits. Sure, Bernie is talking up three cars, but if you actually read what he is saying, he is only repeating an existing rule.
Sauber have been on Dire straights since early last year and Caterham have been finaically struggling since they lost out to Marussia last year and missed the Payout 10th provides(Marussia clearly have a better management of funds seeing as they have missed it a few times before).

Marussia and Lotus are struggling but it's not situation Critical from what has been reported, and should be fine for the next few years with no major changes in Engine prices or Sponserships.

This has Little to do with being at the back of the grid and more to do with Finacial management, Sauber has been Lucky to have Telmex(Carlos slim support) and it's helped them Over the last few years, but with that in question and huge debts they need another sponser to come in if it goes.

Lotus are more then enough proof that even a top team can crumble if your finances are out of control.

Last edited:
The latest from Italy suggests Alonso can't actually put pen to paper on any contract until October 13, when Marchionne officially takes over at Ferrari.

The latest rumours suggest that Sauber are looking to take van der Garde and de Silvestro next season. However, contract problems have prevented de Silvestro from securing a superlicence, so it may not happen. As for van der Garde, I'll believe it when I see it - he's notorious for starting rumours about himself.

And Eddie Jordan reckons McLaren want Vettel and Alonso next year.

It is the and that I can't quite believe. It would be some line-up though and I'm sure Alonso would welcome it after his comments of putting Vettel in the same car (he said ordinary car, but being at the same team would slew that anyway if he had the same machinary to compare).

Verstappen's appointment to Toro Rosso has got people talking about the Red Bull development program, and I wonder if this would cast the same doubts over McLaren's development of both Magnussen and Vandoorne. Would De Vries be happy staying on as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back