The F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation archiveFormula 1 

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 3,041 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it will have any repercussions for GT7.

On a more serious note, I wonder where he will go as if to one of the big budget teams, one driver will drop out from that role given RBR seats seem like they are taken up now. I guess for Vettel, if you are going to get used to some new race engineer, it makes it a better time to leave a team than when you are settled. I guess he will go to McLaren.

So this is a shocker.

wait-what.jpg

I wonder how much Newey leaving played into the decision. I also wonder if he will give much effort over the final races.

It was only a matter of time before Vettel would switch to Ferrari, but I'm surprised that it's going to happen so early.

It's going to be fun to see Kimi and Vettel together next year.

That if they don't dump Raikkonen and put someone else (Hulkenberg, Bianchi)

Ferrari are saying there'll be no announcement from them this weekend (which they'd also said previously).

With the number of seemingly-good drivers in the F1 mix just from the Red Bull driver programme I'd say that the value of the "big names" in this new game is as low as it's ever been.

Vettel had a clause in his contract that if he was lower than 3rd in driver points, he could leave Red Bull.

It will be quite incredible if Fernando decides to stay but Ferrari pay him off to get Sebastian.

The BBC are reporting that De Lizard asked Alonso if he could give him anything as a parting gift; Alonso asked to be released from his contract.

BBC.

Vettel has told Red Bull he is leaving, with Kvyat getting promoted. I think we know how that all unravels now!

I see Vergne going Lotus if he stays in F1.
I think I'd rather see Vergne move to Nissan/Toyota/Porsche than trundle around at the back of F1 for who knows how long. He doesn't have much backing and the top F1 teams don't seem to be interested, so better to bail now on your own terms rather than later when who knows what jobs will be open.

The first thing I thought of when reading about Vettel leaving for Ferrari.
"Cry some moar" but then I just laughed as Ferrari are slower than RBR currently.
Looks like he is just quitting because he is no longer "the best".

I just laughed as Ferrari are slower than RBR currently.
Looks like he is just quitting because he is no longer "the best".
... And his solution is to move to a team which will not give him the chance to be the best?

He says he wants a new challenge.

I guess bringing RBR back to the top after a small slump isn't new...

What does Vettel stand to gain by staying at Red Bull? Sure, he could probably get another title - but he already has four to his name, and as David Croft pointed out, everyone would just say "it's all down to the car". There's nothing left for him there, at least, nothing that he hasn't already achieved.

In Ferrari, he'll find a team in the middle of a slump. They haven't capitalised on the new regulations, the 059/3 power unit is terrible, and they're going through a transitional phase. Rebuilding is going to be a lengthy process - but while every driver dreams of racing for Ferrari, and only a select few ever get to realise it, very few drivers will be able to say that they rebuilt Ferrari. Michael Schumacher is really the only driver who has done it. There's an obvious appeal in the idea.

I can see Vettels motivation for going to Ferrari, not only has he done all that could be done at Redbull but this would be him finally being alone from Redbull since Karting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back