BMW to Release Self-Driving Cars by End of 2017

Personal audio zones that allow each occupant to have their own media experience depending on where they’re sitting in the vehicle is also in the pipeline.

How the heck is that going to work? Headphones?

Mixed feelings about this, really. While it's great news for the majority, it's terrible news for those of us who like driving. I can only imagine that it's a matter of time before most automakers make this standard equipment and force enthusiasts to pay extra for the ability to drive their own cars, at least here in the States.

Mixed feelings about this, really. While it's great news for the majority, it's terrible news for those of us who like driving. I can only imagine that it's a matter of time before most automakers make this standard equipment and force enthusiasts to pay extra for the ability to drive their own cars, at least here in the States.
Not really. This only applies if you purchase new cars, which nobody is forcing you to buy. Plenty of great slightly older or much older cars that will fill the "driving fun" requirement for car enthusiasts.
And so it begins. The end of 'driving'.
See above.

Autonomy will be great for commuting, especially in urban areas and long motorway journeys, Saying autonomous cars will spell the end of the petrolhead is rubbish.

Tesla's also started rolling out it's self-driving hardware too.

Freude-am-Fahren.jpg

is over then...BTW I love driving BMW's on the virtual tracks but also in real life :)

Autonomy will be great for commuting, especially in urban areas and long motorway journeys, Saying autonomous cars will spell the end of the petrolhead is rubbish.

Pretty crazy to watch, but I did notice a few areas that need improvement.

Pretty crazy to watch, but I did notice a few areas that need improvement.

Very true. Then again, I see a lot of drivers on the road that could use improvement!

Self-driving cars won't "destroy" driving anymore than cars destroyed riding horses. If anything, it could encourage a stronger focus on enthusiast needs.

Plenty of great slightly older or much older cars that will fill the "driving fun" requirement for car enthusiasts.
While that works now, who's to say there won't be bans on older cars at some point. Paris just passed a law banning cars made before 1997 from entering the city on weekdays, no? As emissions become more stringent every year, that means all the cars from the mid-90s and earlier still trolling around begin to look like the equivalent of a diesel pickup rolling coal to the EPA and other government environmental groups.

While that works now, who's to say there won't be bans on older cars at some point. Paris just passed a law banning cars made before 1997 from entering the city on weekdays, no? As emissions become more stringent every year, that means all the cars from the mid-90s and earlier still trolling around begin to look like the equivalent of a diesel pickup rolling coal to the EPA and other government environmental groups.
I don't see it happening in any of or lifetimes.

Meh. There will be many great "classic" cars available for a long time, and I strongly suspect it will be a while before we see a car with no manual mode. If ever.

Me, I welcome our automatic overlords. I drive 40 minutes to work in the morning, and there is three corners on the way. I will throw money at anyone who sells me a car that will drive that all by itself. And I can still spend the weekends in my now "classic" (seriously, it's over 25 years old) MX5. Which does not and never will have autodrive.

Thing is, if your "classic" car doesn't comply with whatever clean air laws are in effect at the time, might have to scrap it. Won't be any skin off a car collector's back or those that go to race tracks often. For me and my 2003 Charade, might be a different story.

I'm sure hybrids will be the norm before 50% of all cars are full auto. However, not buying them, might not be enough.

Another thing to consider is that insurance prices for conventional cars will go through the roof and they might even get banned on safety grounds. No, it's not the same as you driving you old MX-5 or Bel Air around.

Thing is, if your "classic" car doesn't comply with whatever clean air laws are in effect at the time,
Most cars older than a certain year are exempt around here. Hell the county I live in doesn't do testing for any cars.

Most cars older than a certain year are exempt around here. Hell the county I live in doesn't do testing for any cars.
For sure, I believe Queensland don't carry out road worthy certificates for certain criteria.

Are people willing to move to such locations if they can't steer their own car around town?

wtf happened to 'the industry' ? If you can't drive should you be licensed

Auto-brake , auto-shift , auto-lane , auto-drive , driving used ta be so spiritual , twas person+machine , now all it is is machine ={ How does that sell

God forbid when all those autonomous systems malfunction and can't commute only crush+crash

wtf happened to 'the industry' ? If you can't drive should you be licensed

Auto-brake , auto-shift , auto-lane , auto-drive , driving used ta be so spiritual , twas person+machine , now all it is is machine ={ How does that sell

God forbid when all those autonomous systems malfunction and can't commute only crush+crash
If the car is autonomous, do young people expect to apply for a licence? Will they even need a licence?

All they'll need is a Mobile phone. Need to pick up a friend? Send the car. Or your friend syncs with your phone and summons the vehicle while you get ready.

It's entertaining to watch but gets boring quick.
It's more natural to see the emotions of the driver being applied to the machine :)

Do you suppose BMWs will be better drivers than BMW drivers? I wonder if the car will self-honk if a cyclist in the bike lane at a light is preventing it from making a turn.

Back