GTPlanet Weekly Rewind: Racing Games Continue to Raise Standards in 2017

GTPNewsWire

Contributing Writer
United States
GTPHQ
Yes- news is certainly arriving thick and fast these days!

Most times the first thing I do is do a quick roundup of gtplanet and racedepartment when I click on the web, both sites are fantastic for keeping up to date. Awesome to see Pcars 2 and GTR3 arriving in the future. Go the poms!

Love that truck pic!

we want a simulator, not a game.

Please don't start the simulator vs. game argument. It's pointless. It's about how you use it. If I drive Assetto Corsa, for example, for 15 minutes 3 times a week for a bit of fun, then I'm playing it as a game. If I pound 3 hours of tuning and testing into Project Cars, then I consider it to be more of a simulator due to my level of involvement, even though most would agree that it is less 'simulator-ish' than AC.

We want something that we all want to play/use/enjoy. How we play/use/enjoy it is up to us.

I still miss the stuff we had in 05-06, the ability to recover a car out on the track with a tow truck.
Bringing it back to the pits and repair it. If you want to to endurance racing properly all the things have to be implemented. Driver change, spotters, tow to pits, 24 hours day to night cycle, proper crew chief with control over pit strategies, the gfx and wheater from PCars and the ffb and feel from AC.

Please don't start the simulator vs. game argument. It's pointless. It's about how you use it. If I drive Assetto Corsa, for example, for 15 minutes 3 times a week for a bit of fun, then I'm playing it as a game. If I pound 3 hours of tuning and testing into Project Cars, then I consider it to be more of a simulator due to my level of involvement, even though most would agree that it is less 'simulator-ish' than AC.

We want something that we all want to play/use/enjoy. How we play/use/enjoy it is up to us.

I think the whole environment of it should be considered into consideration.

15 minutes or 3 hours a day if it's on a computer or having a somewhat simmy setup of it I wouldn't still consider it as a simulator.

If you had everything of a real car, UHD screens, real physics and everything that is movement with the car itself I would consider it a Simulator.

Steering wheel, VR headset and UHD I still wouldn't consider it being a full Sim.

But back on Topic.
Where is the GTP member of the week?

The 1.86 miles long ‘Cabhag Straight’ is roughly half that of the Mulsanne Straight, which may be the closest players come to the 24-hour endurance circuit before a second installment.

I think Michael can be a little bit more open about the fact we have mods readily available for AC. We already have a perfectly good rendition of Le Mans, thankfully! I'd suspect a Kunos rendering would be even more impressive, but what we currently have is quite great. Perhaps even better than what is in GT6.

I think that was just a small reason for inluding LMP1 cars in the game. While we do have tracks like Spa, etc. that the WEC race at, the fact that there is a good version of Le Mans probably helped further encourage development of the prototype cars. Maybe I'm wrong though, and the studio develops cars while being blind to user content.

I think Michael can be a little bit more open about the fact we have mods readily available for AC. We already have a perfectly good rendition of Le Mans, thankfully! I'd suspect a Kunos rendering would be even more impressive, but what we currently have is quite great. Perhaps even better than what is in GT6.

I think that was just a small reason for inluding LMP1 cars in the game. While we do have tracks like Spa, etc. that the WEC race at, the fact that there is a good version of Le Mans probably helped further encourage development of the prototype cars. Maybe I'm wrong though, and the studio develops cars while being blind to user content.

If by "we" you mean PC players, then we absolutely have access to Le Sarthe. Console players on the other hand do not, hence the statement. :P

There's no need for me to be any more open about AC modding than I already am; I've acknowledged it plenty of times in the past. This particular example is building on the narrative of Le Mans being highly unlikely until AC 2 as Kunos won't want the track in without the associated circumstances also present.

But back on Topic.
Where is the GTP member of the week?

No longer a thing I'll be doing. However, with the way the Community Spotlight has been re-formatted it could be considered a spiritual successor.

If by "we" you mean PC players, then we absolutely have access to Le Sarthe. Console players on the other hand do not, hence the statement. :P

There's no need for me to be any more open about AC modding than I already am; I've acknowledged it plenty of times in the past. This particular example is building on the narrative of Le Mans being highly unlikely until AC 2 as Kunos won't want the track in without the associated circumstances also present.

I see. I am not actually aware of your previous references, as I don't tend to read every news post. I can definitely agree though that it makes no sense for an official release until more endurance related features are implemented (not that there aren't any to begin with).

I also will say while I see and agree with your comparison of the Highlands to Le Mans, I see it even more in line with the Isle Of Man, and the B roads in Wales Top Gear loves to film on.

Back